You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Horrid AP overpen in Myoko...

8 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
18,182 posts
12,658 battles

So I just got into this ship and I noticed that the AP seems to be suffering from a lot of overpen. I fire AP from US and German heavy cruisers (e.g. New Orleans, Pensa, Yorck) and do not seem to suffer this problem much if at all, but last night I landed something like six hits on a broadside bot Leander, right where I thought its citadel should be, and they were all overpens. Six out of ten shells for really not much result. I have had the same problem firing against other light cruisers that are notorious for their thin skins.

It's enough to make me stay with HE shells all the time, but am I just being screwed by RNGesus or is this a known Myoko issue?

[WOLF3]
Members
25,163 posts
22,173 battles

I've never had Overpen issues with Myoko against Cruisers.  Only if shots land in higher locations than intended, or impacting portions of the hull that are ultra thin to begin with, i.e. side shots hitting the bow.  I'll check on it in Training Room later, but you can try it yourself if you want and see if you can replicate it.  Pay heed to citadel locations in Armor Viewer and where your shots are landing.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,182 posts
12,658 battles
3 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Only if shots land in higher locations than intended,

That might be what's happening; they're going in just above the citadel instead of right into it. I will park a few sacrificial Pensacolas and Leanders in the training room tonight and see how things go. Mind you, even Myoko HE is no joke; if it gives me more consistent damage output, it might be worth sticking with.

[INR]
Members
1,225 posts
4,060 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

That might be what's happening; they're going in just above the citadel instead of right into it. I will park a few sacrificial Pensacolas and Leanders in the training room tonight and see how things go. Mind you, even Myoko HE is no joke; if it gives me more consistent damage output, it might be worth sticking with.

I've never had issues with IJN AP against CLs and CAs. I've devstruck ships with Myoukou, Atago, Mogami, and Ibuki's Type 91 AP (ignoring Zao's 12 rifles) and chunked CAs for a fair amount in Aoba and Furutaka. It's just a matter of finding the citadel. The Overpens I get are always when I aim too high or give too much/not enough lead. Heck, I recently even citadeled a GK with Zao in space battles.

Edited by WuYixiang

[ARGSY]
Members
18,182 posts
12,658 battles
18 minutes ago, DolphinPrincess said:

or if the enemy cruiser is full broadside at less than 8km

Funnily enough, this is where I am having most of my overpen problems.

On the other hand, if I happen to find an enemy battleship at broadside at close range... well, let's just say that if you can find the sweet spot just over the main belt armour, it's a lot harder to overpen a battleship than it is a Leander. Full-pen damage from that is still pretty juicy.

18 minutes ago, DolphinPrincess said:

Myoko is a ranged HE spammer and should be played as such.

I was beginning to consider this course of action already out of sheer frustration (and based on my observations of what the HE can do). I will be giving it a lot more attention from now on.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Members
1,933 posts
8,914 battles

Try aiming so that your shells land further aft. I've found that I get more citadels when shells land around the rear turret. 

Roma used to really disappoint me, giving tons of overpens when I put shells on targets between the front turrets and engine area. But since shifting my aim to put shells between the engine and rear turrets it started printing cit after cit. 

[WOLF3]
Members
25,163 posts
22,173 battles
20 minutes ago, DolphinPrincess said:

No, you always want to fire at the stern or bow because the entire bow or stern is less armored than the upper and lower belt of the mid section.

Here is an example from a recent space battle:

https://streamable.com/v1lgi

LOL that BB player!

OP, I had taken Myoko through Training Room against several Tier V-VI Cruiser Targets:

Kirov & Budyonny

Omaha (LOL) & Dallas

Konigsberg & Nurnberg

Emerald & Leander

Training Room engagement ranges went from about 4km - 12km.  I didnt't have a problem engaging with AP getting Overpens unless I got sloppy with shot placement.

Regarding Dallas OP, Dallas has an unusual Citadel placement.  It's actually fairly tall but it doesn't run the entire middle at that height.

iUMDZ8z.jpg

If people are getting waterline AP hits but no Citadels, you're probably hitting in the forward half of the ship and there's no citadel there.  But from the rear, you'll make money on Dallas.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[KRAB]
Members
887 posts
7,326 battles

For all intents and purposes the Furataka through Ibuki have the same AP shells - it is most likely just bad luck/user bias. At extreme close range some cruisers might be citadel-overpenetrated due to the shells passing through the ship within their fuse delay, but at 8-10km this will basically never happen. I suspect your shells just went high and passed through the 13-16mm plating these ships have which is not thick enough to arm 203mm AP. 

Myoko mostly uses HE, although if you do get stuck in a brawl it can hit surprisingly hard even against a battleship (if broadside).