You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Col_Nasty

Mod Allowed FPS Boost to 148+ fps!!

31 comments in this topic

[GOB]
Members
1,634 posts

SO I got the Aslain package( Thanks for the suggestions last night guys)  and although what I went there for  The sights , they didn't work but a few things did.  One is getting past the 80FPS limit I was seeing.  I have to say on Ultra everything and High FPS this game looks as good as any AAA game I have played.  Still figuring out the rest of the things that didn't work though.   If you have the gear I strongly suggest setting your gear FREEEEEEEE!!!

[NOBS]
Members
1,121 posts
8,277 battles

I had the same problem with the sights, you have to make sure that the correct sight is picked in-game to match the mod sight. 

• Cool 1

[XBRTC]
Members
3,154 posts
10,011 battles

One thing to remember about Aslain's is that if you're playing in something higher than 1080, a lot of things aren't going to work for you. Apparently the way that some items are positioned on the screen needs to be handled differently at each resolution, and most of the modders don't have 4K to test their work with.

• Cool 1

Members
5,144 posts

My tired old eyes can't tell whether it's 48 or 76 or 120 or 136 or whatever anyway...

My machine will do it, no problem, but, my eyes, not so much.

[GOB]
Members
1,634 posts
2 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

Meh. . . I'll just stick with the 76fps cap rather than have to reinstall a mod every update.

LOL Yeah , everyone says that until they get the gear and see it for themselves but yeah MEH.. it does take a whole 5.5 minutes to install and all.....

[WOLFG]
Members
27,119 posts
7,239 battles
2 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

Meh. . . I'll just stick with the 76fps cap rather than have to reinstall a mod every update.

It's weird, I don't run any mods, and mine caps at 81....

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,701 posts
7 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

LOL Yeah , everyone says that until they get the gear and see it for themselves but yeah MEH.. it does take a whole 5.5 minutes to install and all.....

I have a machine that will easily handle it.  I've just got more important things to do with my time than an improvement in graphics on a game that already requires more time than I have for it. 

If it were a one time thing, I'd probably get around to it at some point.  But I definitely don't have time to be messing with it every upgrade.

Especially since I'm going to pick up The Division 2 here pretty soon, and then I'll have even less time.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,701 posts
6 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

It's weird, I don't run any mods, and mine caps at 81....

I haven't looked in a while.  It used to be 76 was the cap.  Maybe it's been running a few higher lately, I honestly haven't paid attention.

They really ought to just remove the cap from the core client.

[WOLFG]
Members
27,119 posts
7,239 battles
4 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

My dillemma is that I have a finite amount of money to blow at the moment, and I don't know whether to A) replace my FX-6300 with an i5-9600k, B) replace my 50" 720p 60hz TV with a 55" 4k 120hz TV, (although I'm only looking to game at 1080p) or C) get an HTC Vive set. 

Can't even just go with whatever's cheaper, as all 3 options are within about 20 bucks of each other. 

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
27,119 posts
7,239 battles
5 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

I have a machine that will easily handle it.  I've just got more important things to do with my time than an improvement in graphics on a game that already requires more time than I have for it. 

To be fair, that's probably a mod you could update with a quick folder rename.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,701 posts
Just now, Skpstr said:

To be fair, that's probably a mod you could update with a quick folder rename.

Probably, but then I'd have to take the time to figure it out. . . when I really just don't care that much.   My dad used to say things like that when I was a kid, and I never got it.  Now that I'm in my 40s I realize I have other priorities than whether a game I play looks the absolute best it possibly can.

I'm getting old.  LOL

[WOLFG]
Members
27,119 posts
7,239 battles
3 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

Probably, but then I'd have to take the time to figure it out. . . when I really just don't care that much.   My dad used to say things like that when I was a kid, and I never got it.  Now that I'm in my 40s I realize I have other priorities than whether a game I play looks the absolute best it possibly can.

I'm getting old.  LOL

Me too, but I can't afford a muscle car, so trying to wring the best possible performance out of my gaming PC is my midlife crisis lol.

• Funny 2

[SHAFT]
Members
798 posts
16,708 battles
26 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Me too, but I can't afford a muscle car, so trying to wring the best possible performance out of my gaming PC is my midlife crisis lol.

And just like dad's old car the kids are looking at every improvement you make to the rig just waiting for their "lend me the keys" moment (my 14 year old son keeps harping that I don't need all that performance for such a slow paced game, it'll be better utilized in his pc).

At least if they wreck a pc its a lot cheaper to fix than a car.

Edited by Rabin69
  • Funny 1

[WOLFG]
Members
27,119 posts
7,239 battles
47 minutes ago, Rabin69 said:

And just like dad's old car the kids are looking at every improvement you make to the rig just waiting for their "lend me the keys" moment (my 14 year old son keeps harping that I don't need all that performance for such a slow paced game, it'll be better utilized in his pc).

At least if they wreck a pc its a lot cheaper to fix than a car.

That's the truth lol.

I don't need more performance for what I play now, but my wife got me an hour at a VR place for my birthday, and now I'm obsessed lol.

I got a decent GPU for it, since that was easiest and cheapest, and had immediate benefits on my existing system. If I get the CPU/mobo/RAM, it'll let me play newer games well, but my TV will bottleneck things anyway. If I get a new TV, I'll get whatever improvement there is going from 720p @ 60hz to 1080p @ 120hz, but be no closer to VR at home. If I get the VR set, I'll be able to play a few games, but my FX-6300 will hold me back....

I can't decide! Do I rebuild the engine, restore the interior, or get the body done? :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by Skpstr
  • Funny 1

[XBRTC]
Members
3,154 posts
10,011 battles
3 hours ago, Skpstr said:

That's the truth lol.

I don't need more performance for what I play now, but my wife got me an hour at a VR place for my birthday, and now I'm obsessed lol.

I got a decent GPU for it, since that was easiest and cheapest, and had immediate benefits on my existing system. If I get the CPU/mobo/RAM, it'll let me play newer games well, but my TV will bottleneck things anyway. If I get a new TV, I'll get whatever improvement there is going from 720p @ 60hz to 1080p @ 120hz, but be no closer to VR at home. If I get the VR set, I'll be able to play a few games, but my FX-6300 will hold me back....

I can't decide! Do I rebuild the engine, restore the interior, or get the body done? :Smile_teethhappy:

If you get VR without the hardware to run VR... you'll hate it. And no matter what anyone says about system requirements, you need a LOT more horsepower than you think to run VR well.

[WOLFG]
Members
27,119 posts
7,239 battles
14 hours ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

If you get VR without the hardware to run VR... you'll hate it. And no matter what anyone says about system requirements, you need a LOT more horsepower than you think to run VR well.

Was kind of thinking that. Basically I'd be able to run the earliest VR games, and slightly newer games with optional (as in bad) VR.

I'm probably going to get the CPU. I know it's not going to make much difference with the present TV, but It'll put me halfway towards the VR setup. (it will come between min. and recommended requirements for the latest VR games, and is well over recommended for the decent older (but not oldest) ones. And in the meantime, I can play the newest (non-VR) titles, which is something I'm not used to lol.

[XBRTC]
Members
3,154 posts
10,011 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

Was kind of thinking that. Basically I'd be able to run the earliest VR games, and slightly newer games with optional (as in bad) VR.

I'm probably going to get the CPU. I know it's not going to make much difference with the present TV, but It'll put me halfway towards the VR setup. (it will come between min. and recommended requirements for the latest VR games, and is well over recommended for the decent older (but not oldest) ones. And in the meantime, I can play the newest (non-VR) titles, which is something I'm not used to lol.

Also, if you wear glasses... it's not worth it to get VR at all, unless you also want to spend the money to get contacts. Not sure if it applies to you, but I wish I'd paid attention to the reviews from people with glasses first.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
13,832 posts

VR is a gimmick.

If I gamed on a 50" screen, I'd need to sit so far back it wouldn't be worth it.

Refresh rates have diminishing returns in terms of perceivable difference.  Anything over 120 is really just throwing numbers at it because you can. 

[-BSK-]
Members
1,481 posts
7,340 battles

The difference between low and very high settings is huge.  I run an Asus 144hz monitor with it never going below 175 fps  (8700K and GTX1080).  I was the one saying 144hz is nonsense, but once you have it you will never go back.  If the game supports it, its like a movie its so smooth when you turn your mouse to look around.  Yes above 120 its starts to get difficult to notice a difference. 

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
27,119 posts
7,239 battles
4 hours ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

Also, if you wear glasses... it's not worth it to get VR at all, unless you also want to spend the money to get contacts. Not sure if it applies to you, but I wish I'd paid attention to the reviews from people with glasses first.

I dunno about that. The place my wife took me used the HTC Vive, (and it was before the Vive Pro came out) and I had no issues, even after an hour of Arizona Sunshine. I do have fairly small-framed glasses though. (about 1.75" high)

I don't know if that's the best set, but I found it pretty comfortable. (I'll definitely mount my tower high on the wall and run the wiring across the ceiling though, like they did at the place I went, can only imagine how cumbersome it would be with a tower on the floor lol)

Maybe a smaller pair of glasses would help you?

[WOLFG]
Members
27,119 posts
7,239 battles
3 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

VR is a gimmick.

It would be an addition to my normal gaming, not a replacement. An hour or so at a time would be enough for me, just because of the standing more or less in one spot.

It might be a gimmick for some gaming, but IMO, it's the next evolution of FPS gaming.

If I gamed on a 50" screen, I'd need to sit so far back it wouldn't be worth it.

I know you have motion sickness issues, but with your head 8' back from screen, there's plenty of wall space visible.

The biggest reason I do it though, is that I don't need a dedicated space for gaming. I just pull a 15lb Ikea recliner out from the corner, put my feet up, and relax.

Refresh rates have diminishing returns in terms of perceivable difference.  Anything over 120 is really just throwing numbers at it because you can. 

Is there a pretty noticeable difference between 60 and 120?