Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SkaerKrow

When your CV secondaries get more kills than your planes...

14 comments in this topic

[SIM]
Members
4,649 posts
7,770 battles

...you know that you're in a Graf Zeppelin. :cap_rambo:

The amount of disbelief (not salt) that popped up in chat after my secondaries finished off the second DD was hilarious. :Smile_trollface:

shot-19.04.14_19.56.53-0963.jpg

shot-19.04.14_19.57.04-0607.jpg

• Cool 3
  • Funny 3

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,118 posts

I loved doing that with the Kaga back when she was Tier 7. Tier 5 DDs were quite surprised when they thought they had a CV dead to rights.

• Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
4,649 posts
7,770 battles
56 minutes ago, TornadoADV said:

I loved doing that with that Kaga back when she was Tier 7. Tier 5 DDs were quite surprised when they thought they had a CV dead to rights.

Ha, the Kaga was the first CV that I ever got a CQE ribbon in! I forgot that until just now. You're right, it was comedy gold when the battleship under the flight deck got to do its thing. I was getting AWFUL dispersion on my rockets and bombs in that GZ game, so the secondaries literally saved my life twice. Otherwise, those DDs would have rammed a few schools of fish down my throat.

• Cool 1

Members
783 posts

Ya getting secondary kills sometimes is almost as surprising for both parties involved.  I was about to lose a match the other day just me and a NC left against each other, as he was coming around an island i was hiding behind my torpedo bomber got him with a single torp and he detonated.  Safe to say both of us were shocked at how the battle ended.  Then last night I ended up killing a DD with my secondaries to end the game in my Furious.

Once in a while stars line up for you.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,102 posts
12,562 battles

Just wait till they bring the Original Saratoga into the game at Tier 6 with Tier 4 planes (though bucketloads of them) and Tier 8 203mm guns. :Smile_trollface: 

(Just wishful thinking on my part, please note.)

My first ever ship kill in the Furious was an Atago. I'd taken her into co-op for a first play around when I unlocked her, and I ended up ramming the Atago for the final kill and the win.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,125 posts
22,156 battles

Back in the Pre-CV Rework days, I trolled around temporarily with a Secondary Spec Lexington.  She has a lot of secondary guns, far more than even Essex that was at Tier IX.  Caught a number of DDs with that.  It was great for the lulz, watching a DD getting shelled and trying to dodge dive bombers and torpedoes at the same time.  They never last long, which is funny because they think that getting close to the CV meant the kill was theirs automatically.

I didn't stick with it on Lexington because I wanted a more aircraft oriented build most of the time.  Lexi is a tech tree ship also, so once you spec for something, you're stuck with it for good.

Which isn't a problem for Graf Zeppelin.  Altering to an all-air build or a hybrid incorporating some Secondary abilities, it isn't hard nor as costly as doing it on a tech tree ship.  If you want to plug in your Manual Secondaries IFHE GK Captain on for a few games, that's not an issue for Graf Z.

Anyways.  I remember when Graf Z. first came out, before her buffs hit, I was on a team that was wrapping up a win, but 2 of our guys got embarrassed by a desperate Graf Zeppelin.

C8SG2zw.jpg

The fools that got Double Striked by the Graf Zeppelin in a KNIFE FIGHT was a Benson that COMPLETELY MISSED BOTH TORP TUBE LAUNCHES AT <2km RANGE, and a Colorado.  I watched this Graf Zeppelin roll right in between the idiot Colorado and Benson and was nuking both with Secondaries at the same time, as well as nuking them with bombers.  I had never seen multiple players get punked like that by one in such an embarrassing fashion before, or since.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Funny 3

Members
60 posts
3,397 battles

I had a funny CV/secondary thing happen to me too yesterday.

I was on my T6 Ranger in a coop match and it loaded up all bots except for me.  The match starts and as in most 1 human coop matches half the bots on my team died once we detected each other and the enemy team had only lost 1 DD i think it was.  I was doing some bombing runs but got fed up with the bots on my team so i just decided to beach my CV on an island and AFK the match.  I came back about 5 minutes later to find that the teams were now 2 v 2, i was still beached but an enemy BB and CA had rounded the island i was on and my secondaries were unloading on them from only 2 km away.  I launched my planes and started attacking, the enemy CA died maybe 30 seconds later and the BB was trying to ram me but its pathing must have gotten messed up because it beached right next to me about 0.5km away.  I put my ship into forward (or was it reverse) and did like a semi-circle path on the outside of the enemy BB and beached myself on the opposite side of him.  All the while i was still attacking with my planes and with my secondaries going off.

Me and the other bot ended up winning the match hehe.

Edited by CutieKawaiiSugoiDesuNe

[NGA]
Members
1,968 posts
10,400 battles

Not gonna lie, the first thing I did after getting GZ was take it into the training full secondary spec and go to town on a full enemy team of Dresdens. Good times.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,125 posts
22,156 battles

For Graf Zeppelin to take a very basic Secondaries Build isn't too far fetched.

4pts for AFT - You need a good points captain if you want AFT and still have plenty of points for other important CV traits.

Slot SBM1 - This upgrade competes with Torpedo Bombers Mod 1 and Attack Aircraft Mod 1.  They lengthen the attack duration for the TBs (+5 seconds) and Rocket fighters (+2 seconds) respectively.  Do you really need that, especially with Graf's aircraft speed?

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,957 posts
14,610 battles

Graf its the best cv to new meta, full tank, ignore your useless planes, and kill everthing with secondaries!

/sarcasm

• Funny 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,297 posts
6,266 battles

My first secondary kill post-rework? My Ranger. I thought that Konigsberg had me dead to rights when he rounded the island, my aft 5" gunners thought I was wrong.

Sign in to follow this