You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
NWGIX

Help with Saipan?

10 comments in this topic

[RDBOW]
Beta Testers
390 posts
3,022 battles

So I recently came into possession of a Saipan other than practicing in Co-op battles how can I make the most of this ship? I've noticed you can't be as careless with your planes like the Enterprise, Kaga, and Graf Zep. Simply because you max squad size is half the size of theirs. And I've figured out to drop a load of weapons in the water shortly after take off to keep planes on the deck. But it seems like even in a tier 8 game the planes are getting swatted before and after attack runs. It also seems with the Saipan there's a lot of waiting and you can't be aggressive like the other carriers. I'm trying to look up videos and guides but most of them are for the pre reworked CV patch. Some info and advice would be greatly appreciated. :Smile_Default:

Also playing the Saipan is really opening my eyes to how CV's play and operate.

[RDBOW]
Beta Testers
390 posts
3,022 battles
8 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Is this a viable tactic though for the Saipan? Since I'm noticing again that the squadron sizes are double or triple the size of the Saipans

[RLGN]
Members
13,516 posts
23,581 battles
1 hour ago, RipNuN2 said:

All fine and dandy, but such exploits are one of the reasons why I liked RTS more; I just want to play the bloody game, which RTS delievered on; not be some professional Warships guru, learning and perfecting exploits to the Nth degree.

[HINON]
Members
12,824 posts
6 hours ago, NWGIX said:

Is this a viable tactic though for the Saipan? Since I'm noticing again that the squadron sizes are double or triple the size of the Saipans

Yes.

Beta Testers
144 posts
2,491 battles

That exploit was fixed in the last patch.  Also, think of the Saipan like the Ranger.  Yes you have tier 10 planes, but reserves like the Ranger.  Choose your targets carefully, as choose your mods and captain skills appropriately.

Members
783 posts
19 minutes ago, Sierra1968 said:

That exploit was fixed in the last patch.  Also, think of the Saipan like the Ranger.  Yes you have tier 10 planes, but reserves like the Ranger.  Choose your targets carefully, as choose your mods and captain skills appropriately.

1 its not an exploit as per the devs it is not considered a bug, and it was not 'fixed' i was doing it earlier today.  How to make sure you dont lose tons of planes in saipan.  1st watch what you are going for and check its AA threat like a Mino, 2nd watch out for fighters in the area, 3 do not burn all your speed boost before your run you want to use it to get in and out of AA range fast on your drop runs. 4 use islands and mountains to cover your attack to avoid AA.  5 Learn to move like a snake in an S shape pattern toward your target to avoid flak. 6 time your attack run so that when you start to go straight for the run and flak is in front of you that you dive down under it boost in and hold straight only barely moving using your mouse not your A D keys. 7 watch for over lapping areas of AA so that you dont get nuked by multiple ships.

Soon as you nail all that jazz you should stop losing a ton of planes and once that happens Saipan is incredible. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[POP]
Members
827 posts
8,041 battles

Rocket planes-

Pro's - Fastest planes, easiest to get hits with on everything but DD's (fast planes + low visibility = tricky to hit sometimes), great for dropping fighters quickly to assist a friendly target or finish off a low heath ship before it can heal.

Con's- Lowest damage output of your 3 plane types, low heath and die quickly to AA.

I use them early in the match for spotting and later in the match for finishing off low health targets before they can get a heal off.  I might take a cheap shot at a dd with them but the TT rockets rarely do any significant damage to most DD's (usually just incapacitate modules).  On a rare occasion they will hit a DD hard and it is pretty impressive when they do.  Typically after I am done spotting I will drop a fighter where I feel it is best used then head off to hit a BB with them before recalling.  Rockets do OK damge to BB's and have a decent chance of starting a single fire which they rarely put out that early in a match so you get some free damage.  About 15k is a good initial wave of rocket planes on BB's, average is about 7k.   Typically you will only get 2 passes on a single average AA ship before loosing them all.  For that reason I usually ditch a set of rockets in the water early so I only have 2 squads to use/loose in a single run.

Torpedo Bombers -

Pro's- Fun to use, great too for forcing movement of enemy ships or punish them for sitting still.  Can be used to hit higher AA ships if done correctly and carefully (use terrain to protect your plens until the last moment, use your heal when youg et into the close range AA, only take 1 squad of planes if you are hitting a hard target).

Con's- Can be tricky to set up a proper run if the ship is aware of your presence and actively maneuvering.  Difficult to get torpedo hits if the this is heading toward or away form you.  Can be challenging to hit most DD's and some cruisers with them.

My personal favorite, not because of their high damage output but because of their utility and for me the are super fun to play.  I use them a lot in matches with a large number of BB's that are sticking near cruisers or AA support ships.  Even though the torpedoes don't do a ton of damage, most ships with do anything to avoid getting hit by them including giving full broadside to your friendly ships.  You can force cruisers and DD's to sail in a straight line with them offering them up to friendly ship punishment too.  My torpedoes seem to force more damage on targets by friendlies than they actually do in many cases.

Dive Bombers

Pro's- Decent Aplha and high chance of starting fires, easy to hit with, not super dependent on positioning to get at least some bomb hits with.

Con's- Slow moving approach means they are subject to some serious AA.  Have to be creative on how to get over your target while keeping them alive (see catapulting above, use terrain to protect your planes)

I usually switch to these when I have lone ships that don't have a great deal of AA or lone ships that are too maneuverable for torpedoes.  The are great for hitting DD's that are not already spotted by other ships.  Hitting DD's sitting in smoke if they are dumb enough to keep firing (just place the reticle on the muzzle flashes).

Things to think about

The Saipan has T-10 planes, they are fast and pretty tough if your build is correct.  The downside is she does not have a lot of them and they take a long time to respawn if you loose them.  It is easy to get deplaned if you are careless.  If you are heading toward a ship and see fighters or a fighter plane used, you can get you bombs off typically but you will loose those planes and any others in the squadron in the process.  You gotta weigh the loss vs benefit.  Sometimes it is worth it, sometimes it is not and you just have to pick a different target.

In order for you to do big damage numbers in most cases the game needs to last a while.  Try to help keep your team alive long enough for the enemy to spread out.  You are their eyes, don't hesitate to give warning if you see something they don't seem to recognize.

You are not strong enough to carry an entire team of potatoes, if they rush in and drop like flies, spread out all over the map and get picked apart by the enemy CV it is not your fault (regardless of what you team will say) there is nothing you can do to help them.  On the other hand if the enemy team stays grouped up, stacks AA correctly and your team fails to kill any AA boats or break them up, there won't be much you can do.  Again you team will likely whine about how the other team has the better CV, they have no idea what they are talking about, don't let it get to you.

Tricks that help a lot-

Dropping unnecessary waves of planes prior to attack runs, with this ship it is an absolute must in most cases.  The only time I  take a full wave of planes is if I know where all ships are on the map and the target I am going after is weak enough that I know i will get all three attack runs off before loosing any planes.  Early in the match I typically drop all but one wave to avoid unnecessary losses by accidentally flying over an AA ship after a bombing run.  Mid match I will take 2 wave, the last gasp skill is super helpful when you do this because you will always have engine boost available after your first pass.

Learn each ship type and AA potential, it makes target selection much easier.

Learn the roles and play styles of other ships, makes predicting their movement much easier.

Be patient, if you do not have any good target options, wait.  Do some spotting, provide aa cover.  Don't throw your planes away just because you don't have a viable target option at the moment.  

Accept that sometimes your most useful to your team doing small amounts of damage in the right place than doing large amounts of damage on ships that are not in the fight.  Do you want to win or do you want to do a ton of damage?  sometimes you cant have both.  Learn to prioritize when and what you attack to best benefit your team's goal.  It is easy to farm big numbers on the GK that is at the back of the map but is he doing anything to your team when he is 20km away?  Meanwhile the DD in B cap is very difficult to get any real damage on but if you keep him spotted your team can help kill him and he can't kill your team.  Just things to consider, every match is different.

The new playstyle IMO is much more strategic and less multi task oriented than the old RTS system.  Kind of like playing chess with pieces you get to actively control.

The build- This is how I built mine, there are a few other viable options out there.  Find what works for you.

There are some Twitch players out there that are great to watch if you want to learn tactics.  Gaishu is one that was recommended to me, he is great to watch.

Screenshot (34).png

Screenshot (35).png

• Cool 2

[SOV]
Members
4,397 posts

I have about 200 battles in Sipan post rework.

If your even t or top its easy. Drop off 1 plane and then take your torp on a loneish bb. Probably lose the 4 that made the drop.

Switch 2 db and hit anything you want by the time your done torps are ready again.

Remember you have t10 plabes and 2 torps per plane and the damage of lex and the sb of midway.

Tiny time are good to but you will lose every plane on every run.

Another thing is to not watch the damage counter. 5 min go by and you have nothing but at the end you have 80k.

[WAKE]
[WAKE]
Members
304 posts
17,804 battles
On 4/14/2019 at 10:12 PM, NWGIX said:

So I recently came into possession of a Saipan other than practicing in Co-op battles how can I make the most of this ship? I've noticed you can't be as careless with your planes like the Enterprise, Kaga, and Graf Zep. Simply because you max squad size is half the size of theirs. And I've figured out to drop a load of weapons in the water shortly after take off to keep planes on the deck. But it seems like even in a tier 8 game the planes are getting swatted before and after attack runs. It also seems with the Saipan there's a lot of waiting and you can't be aggressive like the other carriers. I'm trying to look up videos and guides but most of them are for the pre reworked CV patch. Some info and advice would be greatly appreciated. :Smile_Default:

Also playing the Saipan is really opening my eyes to how CV's play and operate.

Captain build and ship upgrades play a big role in the saipans performance. 

The main captain skills you must have are:

Air supremacy - increase that restoration time incase you lose a plane. 

Torpedo acceleration- makes hitting DDs and fast cruisers easier. 

Survivability expert- boosts up your planes hp and carriers hp. 

Aircraft armor- reduces continuous AA damage to planes. 

Sight stabilization- faster zeroing in for your torpedo drops, rocket shots, and dive bomb runs. 

Demolition Expert- increases fire chance on rockets and dive bombs 

Engine boost (optional) - allows more boost points to speed up or slow down your planes longer. 

Fighter Control (i take this)- +1 to fighters guarding your carrier. I take this because Saipan's AA is poor and due to its low hp pool, its highly susceptible to getting sniped by carriers. That extra fighter does make a big difference and in many games has saved me. 

In Saipan, your bread and butter weapon of choice is your torpedoes. Its unique in that each plane drops two torpedoes, allowing you to lay down four in the water per attack. These planes are also pretty hardy and can weather a fair amount of pain before being brought down. Try to reach for them as often as you can.. use them against everything. 

Your Rocket planes, while fun, aren't as useful to hunt down DDs as one may think. Theyre best used against cruisers and battleships. To make the most of them, make your attacks either from.bow to stern or stern to bow long the ship. Thisll help maximize their hit chance, and can help start multiple fires or knock out a lot if AA systems. 

While you can come at a ship from the broadside with them, youll miss half the rockets most the time.

Against DDs, you want to attack from the broadside to incease chances of hitting them due to their thin profiles. 

Like your torpedoes, your dive bombers are unique in dropping 2x monstrous 1000lb bombs per plane. The even better part is these can citadel cruisers if dropped dead center if the ship and have a high chance to set fires. The downside is that they will take a bewildering amount if AA damage against healthy targets. Its best to use these as finishers when a target is at or below 12k health. (You can easily deal 12-15k damage per drop with them if you get penetrations)

There are other special techniques out there, such as sling shotting bombs, but those are pretty difficult to do in general. 

Id focus on learning to read the battle, and picking on key targets that are hampering your team. 

Another thing to focus on is knowing when to call planes back. With saipan, every plane lost hurts its performance a lot. I generally call back my planes, in saipan, when i get a red plane. I only go in for a second attack if I have no red planes. 

Its better to do one decent strike and bail, then to do two powerful strikes and lose all your planes. 

If you get good at managing when to call your planes back, target selection, and getting good at lining up good attack runs, youll see huge damage numbers. 

Lastly, dont be afraid to move around. Saipan is a very stealthy carrier, and its fast. This allows you to get closer to the front reducing your flight time from carrier to target and back, and if you get in trouble, its got the speed to run away. Something that you can't do in the other T8 carriers. (Except for shokaku.. its just as fast) 

Edited by Bigs_Destroyer_of_Worlds
  • Cool 1