Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
3r22r

Alaska Tier IX

13 comments in this topic

[1813]
Members
323 posts
8,710 battles

Its has been a while since Alaska came to port so what is the verdict so far?

I am now at 950 000 XPs  and I need to make a desicion about buying

Coments so far has been mixed

So what is the story from Captain's who got Alaska?

Members
1,526 posts
10,950 battles

I like it but cannot tell if you will or not. Only you can make that decision based on how you play. Watch some youtube and make your decision from there.

[HELLS]
Members
2,559 posts
25,374 battles

OK. Good cruiser killer like Scharnhorst but squishy like Baltimore. Good trainer for high tier captains, and prints decent credits. That's about it. Nothing special. It's free, so why not...

[INTEL]
Members
12,321 posts
34,165 battles

Played four games in it. 90K average damage. I really like it. Dispersion needs tightened somewhat, but AP is brilliant. If you keep it moving and guard your side, you can do good damage in it. Haven't managed to carry in it, since it lacks the armor to take the punishment that a real BB can. 

[AR15]
[AR15]
Members
62 posts
9,507 battles

It suffers against battleships but is devastating to heavy cruisers. The solution to that is to not take on BBs alone and broadside. 

One notable exception is against Yamato/Musashi. If you can get to brawling range, the faster reload and traverse is enough to citadel those into oblivion

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,878 posts
11,515 battles

its a really good ship the AP is nasty against cruisers and if your aim game is good getting 10 citadels is not unheard of. Against bbs your ap is strong on the broadside. The HE is great for kiting and or stripping aa guns off ships so your cv can have easier access to the target.

Against a bb if you are sub 10km and they show you a broadside go for the citadel. You can bust the cheek of a yammy and musashi and have enough pen to nail fron and rear portions of citadels if the enemy is broad enough. Best I have done so far is 195k with it 3x times. 200k is so damn close.

The aa is not bad on it and since its a cruiser you get dfaa and fighter. With Dfaa active. Your LRC is 547, your MRC is 1613, and your SRC is 1884. Which is a nice way of saying DB me I dare you. The mid range is also popping 10 flak burst so your probably gonna make a ton of TBs not so happy.

Members
3,977 posts
9,611 battles

I have her and I love her, but your experience may be different depending on what you like. Her playstyle is right in between high tier CAs like Baltimore and Buffalo and high tier BBs like Iowa, although her guns feel more like NC’s ballistics wise. 

She’s fairly tanky compared to other cruisers at that tier, so you can easily go up against most cruisers and battleships you’ll face - you’re a cruiser killer but you can also hurt battleships pretty reliably with ap pens and citadels at close and medium ranges and he chunking off 5-7k every 20 seconds at any range. You are less effective against DDs with your longer reload and your ap being affected by the 10% cap, but a good he salvo or two on any DD will either kill them or make them much less effective for the rest of the battle. (Basically you can deal with bestroyers as a cruiser, but you’re not a dedicated DD hunter)

She can sit at range and spam he all day, but she’s much more suited to getting into those mid to close ranges that usn BBs also enjoy. You are just as comfortable pushing a flank with your team as you are sitting back and defending against a push or kiting away. The trick to getting Alaska to work well is knowing which one to do when. She does have the usn arcs so she can sit behind an island and fire from there, but that also reduces her effectiveness as a tankier ship. 

Captain wise, since she’s between the BB and CA playstyles, she can work well as a captain trainer for both, and standard builds work well, but she really needs a dedicated build to shine (ideally with one of the unique commanders to take advantage of their improved skills). If you want some recommendations, feel free to message me and I can send you the build I’m using now that seems to work pretty well. (I can also add it as an edit to this post if people are interested)

[THREE]
Members
2,301 posts
12,381 battles

Hey

I for me don't like the Alaska; the guns suck at setting fires even with flags, the AP doesn't hit all that hard unless a ship is broadside.  It usually ricochet's or does so little damage, it's a big target with very little way of mitigating damage compared to almost any other cruisers.  I find the Kron. to be a much better, all round super cruiser; that being said, I would rather sail ANY normal cruiser over these over rated cruisers.  I mean for their size, guns, maneuverability, AA, secondaries, stealth, they really bring nothing to the table. Frustration is what I find with Alaska and it's not even consistent.  Port queen; I have many other ships that are more fun, consistent damage dealers than this.

Pete

[FOG]
Members
826 posts
7,783 battles
On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 5:13 PM, mkcp40 said:

One notable exception is against Yamato/Musashi. If you can get to brawling range, the faster reload and traverse is enough to citadel those into oblivion

Yes, the Yam/Mus turrets cannot track you if you can get close enough....similar to brawling them in a Salem.....

Members
393 posts
6,867 battles

I really like her. I'm only an average player but in my second or third match with her I managed to get my highest ever damage total of 205k. Like many of the premium ships though they have to be played a certain way to make use of her strengths and it will not be uncommon to have a bad match in her due to circumstances not lining up the way you need. Trying to get her into the right situation is where the fun is though so all up I'm happy I got her. 

• Cool 1

[CAST]
Members
4,898 posts
3,416 battles

Alaska is the most brawler of the supercruisers. Her shells are very floaty and have the worst AP pen at range of all of them. On the other hand, she's easily the tankiest with 27mm plating, 30mm deck, and a very difficult citadel to hit.

She also has the USN heavy cruiser improved pen angles that can smash up cruisers at any range and nearly any angle 

The russian and japanese supercruisers are better at longer ranges but overall easier to land penetrating hits on.

So in the end, what's your most 'fun' playing range? Pick the ship that fits that playstyle.

[FOG]
Members
826 posts
7,783 battles

I am though disappointed in the sound of her guns. I was expecting a louder and meaningful muzzle blast.

Sign in to follow this