You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
deresistance

Space Assault mode - HUGE success

44 comments in this topic

[RMRGD]
Members
452 posts
21,677 battles

Players seem to love it.   I LOVE it.   Space Assault by far is one of the best modes.  Convert it into something and put it in randoms!

• Cool 7
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 1

[-A-8-]
Members
304 posts
17,046 battles

I enjoyed this mode as well. To win you had to work more as a team than some are no dought used to. Was good to see BBs on attack pushing if they wanted to win rather than camp 3 maps over.

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
39 minutes ago, deresistance said:

Players seem to love it.   I LOVE it.   Space Assault by far is one of the best modes.  Convert it into something and put it in randoms!

It's really just the Assault mode from WoT, with a few Space Battles bells and whistles.   I don't see any problem with having an assault mode, per se.  That said, I don't think that an assault mode on most existing maps used in randoms would be appropriate.  IMO, a good assault mode map would be a map based on a port.  Think of the maps with ports in Operations mode, though obviously much larger for higher tier battles.

[RMRGD]
Members
452 posts
21,677 battles

Some classes are a little stronger then others.  But overall it felt good.    Some of close games were down to seconds of generator/base defense.   Its been a blast.   I haven't seen any negative comments other then newer players who yolo who probably dont understand how the map works.   been telling people the enemy can respawn.. we can not. 

[RMRGD]
Members
452 posts
21,677 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

It's really just the Assault mode from WoT, with a few Space Battles bells and whistles.   I don't see any problem with having an assault mode, per se.  That said, I don't think that an assault mode on most existing maps used in randoms would be appropriate.  IMO, a good assault mode map would be a map based on a port.  Think of the maps with ports in Operations mode, though obviously much larger for higher tier battles.

Totally agree it would take a designated map + mode.  But they got the mode already.    Hell reskin the map, plot the combo in random.   Win win =)

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
Just now, deresistance said:

Totally agree it would take a designated map + mode.  But they got the mode already.    Hell reskin the map, plot the combo in random.   Win win =)

The map used in Space Battles Assault is just a spacey version of Estuary.  

[RMRGD]
Members
452 posts
21,677 battles
18 minutes ago, Crucis said:

The map used in Space Battles Assault is just a spacey version of Estuary.  

Agreed they had to arrange the obstacles though to make the generators harder to get to.   So change that up a bit and bam. 

[INTEL]
Members
12,347 posts
34,271 battles

It's really a great mode. I think the defenders have a slight advantage. But lots of fun, and no CVs. 

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
1 minute ago, deresistance said:

Agreed they had to arrange the obstacles though to make the generators harder to get to.   So change that up a bit and bam. 

I suppose they could.  I just think that it's more immersive if there's a port to actually defend, than a blah spot on the map.  Hence, the reason I mention maps like Killer Whale and Newport Station.  Or Ultimate Frontier or Narai.

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
2 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

It's really a great mode. I think the defenders have a slight advantage. But lots of fun, and no CVs. 

Well, it's fine for Space Battles, but don't expect that if an Assault battle mode was added to Randoms that it'd be no CVs.

[INTEL]
Members
12,347 posts
34,271 battles
14 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Well, it's fine for Space Battles, but don't expect that if an Assault battle mode was added to Randoms that it'd be no CVs.

Sadly... yep. The devs are determined to crap on every game mode with that garbage. 

• Meh 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,715 posts
12,275 battles
51 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

It's fun because they're no CVs. That's about it.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
9 hours ago, HazardDrake said:

It's fun because they're no CVs. That's about it.

Respawns are wonderful. Let's you do things you could never get away with in Randoms. And the comeback option is also wonderful; I've had a DD tank BB levels of damage. Also, I have matches in randoms without CV's all the time, they are not as fun as the Assault mode.

Edited by _RC1138

[ALL41]
[ALL41]
Members
140 posts
11,325 battles

Assault mode was a fun time whether attacking or defending.

On the Attack side, I did notice that RPF started messing up and you couldn't rely on it after you respawned but it was still a fun mode to play.

[FML]
Members
3,656 posts
14,584 battles
13 hours ago, deresistance said:

Agreed, the mode has been fun. 

However, there were some room for improvements:

• Some maps need to be redesigned so that attackers cant kill generators from cover.  The 'A' generator on most maps seems to have been most vulnerable to this. 
  • Attacking players continue to go AFK after dying, because they cannot read and are idiots.  There needs to be a more clear button that they need to click, saying something like "I am on the attacking team, so I CAN RESPAWN AFTER MY SHIP IS DESTROYED", and replace those AFK mouth-breathing knuckle-draggers with bots if they do actually quit. 
  • Some ships are much better in either attack or defence, like the Norma, it would be good if certain ships were more likely to be on one side or the other - or better still, the ability ot change ship type after respawning...

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
1 hour ago, _RC1138 said:

Respawns are wonderful. Let's you do things you could never get away with in Randoms. And the comeback option is also wonderful; I've had a DD tank BB levels of damage. Also, I have matches in randoms without CV's all the time, they are not as fun as the Assault mode.

RC, all those respawns for the attackers and constant heals for the defenders are just gimmicks for Space Battles, and I expect (and hope) that they never see the light of day in normal WoWS.

Personally, I don't enjoy space battles, even though I'm a sci-fi fan.  I play WoWS for the historical warships, not for space battles.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,504 posts
13 hours ago, deresistance said:

Opinions vary....

Lots of people don't seem to like it much at all..

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
29 minutes ago, Crucis said:

RC, all those respawns for the attackers and constant heals for the defenders are just gimmicks for Space Battles, and I expect (and hope) that they never see the light of day in normal WoWS.

I disagree vehemently. I'd like to see either respawns or the comeback mechanic in randoms permanently, as the status quo is awful and respawns would go in a far ways to address some of those issues.

[BUOY]
Members
806 posts
12,985 battles

I quite liked it and thought it was a refreshing change of pace. If it is implemented in the main game though it needs to be its own mode.

[H_]
Members
745 posts
11,546 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

Personally, I don't enjoy space battles, even though I'm a sci-fi fan.  I play WoWS for the historical warships, not for space battles.

Each to his own, and you sound somewhat like my brother.. LOL..  He's a sci-fi fan but had the same opinion on space battles.. gimmicks.

Honestly I thought the Attack/defend mode was fun.  I enjoyed the re-spawns  and the games were action packed and moving all the time.  No CV's.. YAY!

Really did it to farm commander XP and get some Ironium.  I would not mind seeing that mode make it to the main stream. 

Getting folks to understand that when attacking you "attack!"  was interesting you could see some folks hesitate or back off trying to save their ships.. Taking the Norma out was a blast..  although I don't think I could have the same fun with it in Randoms as I did in Space battles.

Defense was a bit more difficult but just as fun. 

Can't wait to try the new mode tonight.

Members
5,144 posts
14 hours ago, Taichunger said:

I had a good game defending last night.  295K in Paris, steaming in slow sort-of-circles basically firing at exposed broadsides, and DDs if they showed themselves.  Got 2nd on team in a win.  Didn't even take much damage over and above the heal till near the end.  Once they realized they weren't going to win, they started damage-farming me, but they still lost about 2 seconds after they finished me.

I suspect games like that one above are the ones where the offense aren't aggressive enough.  The one right before this, they came after us pretty hard, and I wasn't watching both ways as I should have been and got killed early.

Edited by mavfin87

[RCNW3]
Members
1,903 posts
17,909 battles

Meh, just OK in my book- after playing it a couple of times did not feel a huge need to keep playing it

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
3 hours ago, _RC1138 said:

I disagree vehemently. I'd like to see either respawns or the comeback mechanic in randoms permanently, as the status quo is awful and respawns would go in a far ways to address some of those issues.

Absolutely not!!!  Respawns completely ruin the game.  The entire point of the battles is to work to delete the enemy ships.  Allowing them to respawn completely devalues all that effort!! and RUINS the game!!!