You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LupusMalum

Save your money the Saipan Sucks

31 comments in this topic

[G-S]
[G-S]
Members
405 posts
16,931 battles

I had the Saipan before the rework, and I am a average CV player, but I feel like the 3  f ighter and 1 DB setup is more of a torp threat that this rework soup sandwich. Replay provided   20190414_182316_PASA528-Saipan_22_tierra_del_fuego.wowsreplay

shot-19.04.14_18.48.43-0335.jpg

shot-19.04.14_18.48.45-0719.jpg

• Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
4,663 posts
7,770 battles

The Saipan is a decent carrier, actually (as demonstrated by your opponent). The number of hits that you scored this game was quite low, perhaps take her into co-op a bit to get accustomed to how her different planes work?

0 posts

It looks as though your Saipan did far better than the enemy team's Graf Zeppelin. While Saipans on both teams, came near the top of the scoreboard.

You have Midway's tier t10 planes, Saipan should not "suck", but it does come with the highest dmg alpha and fire/flood chance of all tier 8 premiums. Trick is, learning how to use them, will take more than a half dozen battles.

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,744 posts
12,287 battles

Looks like the other teams Saipan was working out for them.

Nothing wrong with the ship, it's operator error.

I've seen a lot of CV drivers that bought more CV than they can handle.

[RMRGD]
Members
452 posts
21,651 battles
1 minute ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Looks like the other teams Saipan was working out for them.

Nothing wrong with the ship, it's operator error.

I've seen a lot of CV drivers that bought more CV than they can handle.

I think it has to do wtih a lot more of play style.   I like Saipan and Graf.   Most ppl prefer Kaga and Enterprise.   I think its just play style

Members
821 posts
6,988 battles

I’m better with my Lexington, but the Saipan you have today has as much in common with the old Saipan as it does with the Bismarck... not a lot.

It takes time to learn and should not be seen as the same ship as before.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
4,448 posts
19,859 battles

I got my first ever CV in a crate this week - Saipan. I respec'd a 19 pt captain to her.  I dare not take her out in Randoms until I feel I can contribute to the battle. I don't think that the "ship" sucks as much as I think I suck in the ship, right now. It'll be a while and slow going but I think you are setting too high a bar on her performance. Consider her a new ship and don't compare to here previous incarnation.

• Cool 1

[SOV]
Members
4,392 posts

Sipan is amazing you jus have to be carful  with the planes.  Use torps then db then back to torps.  My average is around 85k now.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,502 posts
1 hour ago, SkaerKrow said:

The Saipan is a decent carrier, actually (as demonstrated by your opponent). The number of hits that you scored this game was quite low, perhaps take her into co-op a bit to get accustomed to how her different planes work?

Yeah I was going to say, the red one wrecked some face.

It's a good CV with up tiered planes that hit hard.  You have just to be careful with them as you have few and they take a while to rebuild.

You know how with the Kaga you just throw all the things with relative abandon at the AA and hope some of it get's through?  You do the oppoiste with the Saipan.   Wait, be patient and pick your targets.  When it hits, they will know it.

[SALVO]
Members
24,197 posts
24,546 battles

I wish I had a screen shot of the after action report, but I did about 190k damage in my Saipan in a tier 10 battle.  It's a damned good CV, frankly.  You just have to be careful to not blow through your limited supply of planes.

• Meh 1

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,744 posts
12,287 battles
1 hour ago, deresistance said:

I think it has to do wtih a lot more of play style.   I like Saipan and Graf.   Most ppl prefer Kaga and Enterprise.   I think its just play style

Could very well be, I've run all of my premium CV's in random a couple times, and so far Graf Zeppelin has been the most fun. Maybe not the most effective, but the most fun.

[AAA]
Members
1,728 posts
12,715 battles

Saipan is really strong if played well but can be deplaned very easily if you make poor target decisions. I would not recommend the Saipan to new CV players. 

[KAPPA]
Members
2,809 posts
7,562 battles
4 hours ago, JustAdapt said:

Saipan is really strong if played well but can be deplaned very easily if you make poor target decisions. I would not recommend the Saipan to new CV players. 

I feel 'new' could describe most CV players post-rework, honestly. I've only done about 100 games post-rework, and while I'm getting quite good, I'd call myself new.

[TNP66]
Beta Testers
1,896 posts
4,583 battles
7 hours ago, LupusMalum said:

I had the Saipan before the rework, and I am a average CV player, but I feel like the 3  f ighter and 1 DB setup is more of a torp threat that this rework soup sandwich. Replay provided   20190414_182316_PASA528-Saipan_22_tierra_del_fuego.wowsreplay

shot-19.04.14_18.48.43-0335.jpg

shot-19.04.14_18.48.45-0719.jpg

Told you so, why didn’t you listen?

Members
783 posts

The Saipan is a great CV.  Of the 4 premium ones i find it to be the strongest of the bunch.  35k dmg should only take like 1-2 torp runs, i suggest using a training room/co op to get used to the new carrier rework.  This version of the Saipan is vastly different from the original.  I saw a youtuber giving CV reviews the other day that didnt even know how to get the aim window to close, he kept doing full open attacks and wondered why he couldnt do any damage.

Watch some notser/flamu etc vids on the rework, read some guides like LWM CV fighter/torpedo/db reviews, visit the CV supforum for tips before rendering final judgement.  

Edited by JToney3449

[-TNT-]
Members
933 posts
17,727 battles

There's nothing wrong with the Saipan. It's been a learning curve though.  You have to look for targets of opportunity, angles of approach, identify DFAA and speed boost the hell outa there . Is your CV Commander skill correctly picked. The below youtube video is a review of HMS Indomitable. Now after reading your "post" I NOW know who he's talking about.  You paid for a premium ship and expect a premium experience. 

CV Captain skills.jpg

Edited by Kestrel_Falcon

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,310 posts
12 hours ago, LoveBote said:

It looks as though your Saipan did far better than the enemy team's Graf Zeppelin. While Saipans on both teams, came near the top of the scoreboard.

You have Midway's tier t10 planes, Saipan should not "suck", but it does come with the highest dmg alpha and fire/flood chance of all tier 8 premiums. Trick is, learning how to use them, will take more than a half dozen battles.

Graf ordinance is broke - when I can hit a ship with a full spread of torps (3) and get zero damage (vs Nelson) then something must be broke.  Of course, playing CVs feels kind of broke damage-wise. Like the max damage RNGeus hates them.

• Cool 1

0 posts
29 minutes ago, StoptheViolins said:

Graf ordinance is broke - when I can hit a ship with a full spread of torps (3) and get zero damage (vs Nelson) then something must be broke.  Of course, playing CVs feels kind of broke damage-wise. Like the max damage RNGeus hates them.

torpedo belts.

yeh I know...

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,057 posts
5,702 battles

I think Saipan is probably has the most ceiling of any of the premiums.. I've only fiddled with it a little..  quite a bit in training room.   However, it will be stupid OP in a T8 match and still can very effective in T10 with some careful play (only T8 premium that can comfortably say that IMO)  I do think it has the highest skill ceiling as it cannot afford any plane losses..    not that you would get any in a match where you are playing mostly against T6 or T7 ships...  But, it does require pretty skillful play in T10 to remain viable throughout the match.    I'd say it is not the premium carrier for new to the rework players?     

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,310 posts
17 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

torpedo belts.

yeh I know...

Torpedo belts reduce damage - it doesn't negate it.

From the Wiki..

Damage

Every torpedo has 2 types of damage, splash and alpha. The listed damage in the port is calculated with "alpha / 3 + splash". Splash can also hurt the neighboring sector such as superstructure, casemate and so on.

1. Torpedo hits into bow/stern -- deals 16.5% of alpha and splash damage to "entire hull" and "bow/stern" respectively.
  2. Torpedo hits into citadel -- reduced damage. Coefficient can be found here. Alpha damage of torpedo is multiplied by a value on the table. Torpedo Protection also decreases the chance of flooding.
  3. Torpedo hits the mid-section of a destroyer -- reduced damage. 33% of alpha damage.

After Update 0.7.11, a torpedo hitting a ship in any such part will cause guaranteed damage of 10% of the maximum damage it could potentially cause.

• Cool 1

0 posts
11 minutes ago, StoptheViolins said:

Torpedo belts reduce damage - it doesn't negate it.

From the Wiki..

if you are getting zero dmg, you are dropping your torps too late/too close to the target, and they are not getting enough time to arm. That happens, in your case it may have been lag (low fps can also confuse)