Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Nato101

Video: US Battleship Oregon (1889) + Ship ID Request

5 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
1,734 posts
2,514 battles

I still can't post in off topic. There's no thread creation button. Can a mod take a look for me please?

Short video, but it's all I got. Kind of hard to find pre 1890s footage of battleships :cap_look:

Could someone also please help me ID this ship? It starts to appear at: 5:14 onwards (deck shots). An exterior shot is shown at 8:30 (thumbnail). I suspect that it's the USS Detroit (CL-8). If anyone has any more info on this journey, please share.

Here are some bonus war / military films:

15th Infantry Leaving For China (1900)
Energia Para Las Americas (194x)
Bomber (1941)
Brazil At War (1943)
Carry The Fight (1943)
Combat America (1943)
The Arm Behind The Army (1943)

There are more nuclear bomb / cold war / technology / many other various old films in the playlist

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,753 posts
12,319 battles

Well, USS Detroit's European cruise is listed in her DANFS entry so she was there.

I find it a little strange that there's not a bunch of pictures of her on NavSource from that cruise, if the US Navy brought a movie camera on the trip, I'd imagine that there'd be plenty of regular US Navy official cameras.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
1,734 posts
2,514 battles
1 hour ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Well, USS Detroit's European cruise is listed in her DANFS entry so she was there.

I find it a little strange that there's not a bunch of pictures of her on NavSource from that cruise, if the US Navy brought a movie camera on the trip, I'd imagine that there'd be plenty of regular US Navy official cameras.

Thanks.

I had another look and they land at 9:00. The life ring has the word detroit on it.

How's about the other ship at 6:19? It's not a US one. Any idea how I could ID it?

And yes, it's odd that there are no photos. Perhaps they were lost.

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,753 posts
12,319 battles
14 minutes ago, Nato101 said:

Thanks.

I had another look and they land at 9:00. The life ring has the word detroit on it.

How's about the other ship at 6:19? It's not a US one. Any idea how I could ID it?

And yes, it's odd that there are no photos. Perhaps they were lost.

Yugoslav Navy Torpedo boat T7

Alpha Tester
1,734 posts
2,514 battles
Just now, SgtBeltfed said:

Yep, that's what I settled on after digging for the last 20 mins. Didn't think I'd be able to find out any info about the thing.

Wiki confused me a little though. I finally understand that it's not a 'Kaiman' class, but a '250t-class torpedo boat'. And boy can you find out some info about these things after you know what they actually are...

It was built in my country and sank there as well.

Sign in to follow this