Slot car racing always has the best jazzy music

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
18,044 posts
10,493 battles
1 hour ago, dmckay said:

Looks boring to me. Maybe it's not.

Boring to watch but fun a hell to drive.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
8,019 posts
3,416 battles
9 hours ago, dmckay said:

Looks boring to me. Maybe it's not.

It's not.  Driving takes skill, and car prep is a bit of a science.  I've had a lot of fun with slot cars.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
10,009 posts

My limited racing was HO scale... the old Aurora cars... then came the TycoPro cars... bye bye Aurora... but by that age I'd moved on to enduro motorcycles. I wanted to try the bigger slot cars but as a kid the cost of cars and parts kept me in the HO scale. 

What they've become though... and how dam* fast they are just blows my mind. 

And yes, they play good music... one of them I watched had some great south of the border (Mexican) music. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
18,044 posts
10,493 battles
6 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

My limited racing was HO scale... the old Aurora cars... then came the TycoPro cars... bye bye Aurora... but by that age I'd moved on to enduro motorcycles. I wanted to try the bigger slot cars but as a kid the cost of cars and parts kept me in the HO scale. 

What they've become though... and how dam* fast they are just blows my mind. 

And yes, they play good music... one of them I watched had some great south of the border (Mexican) music. 

I don't know if they are really that much faster than the 1/24's I ran at the hobby shop just outside the gate when I was at Chanute AFB. The standard video camera has trouble with anything moving fast that is relatively close. As for cost, the initial cost is a bit steep and if you want to compete at the top levels it will stay steep but at the hobbyist level the costs are not bad.

[WOLF2]
Members
399 posts
12,749 battles

I raced 1:18 slot cars back in the 1960s and I had a jig to build frames. I left all that stuff in my parents attic when i moved out and my mom sold all of it with out telling me.    :Smile_facepalm:

Members
585 posts
4,529 battles

I tried it and went heavy into RC cars and trucks.  That is an expensive hobby and its a lot of working on the vehicles. 

Cool video though.

Edited by 0NutsNBolts0

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
10,009 posts
7 hours ago, Klaatu_Nicto said:

I raced 1:18 slot cars back in the 1960s and I had a jig to build frames. I left all that stuff in my parents attic when i moved out and my mom sold all of it with out telling me.    :Smile_facepalm:

Shoot... my mom sold my crib to my high school girlfriend and her husband(!)

OTOH... she kept everything she thought I might want... including my HO slot cars and a few Lionel train pieces. I still have my green and white Lionel snow blower. It's weridly cool and looks like this:

d_9644.jpg

https://www.tandem-associates.com/lionel/lionel_trains_58_great_northern_snow_blower_unit.htm

• Cool 1

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.