eagleye111

ENSIGN newbie- 5 weeks in.

6 comments in this topic

[R-L]
Members
11 posts
8,589 battles

I need some help, and I get the detectability, smoke screen radar- etc.  But I cannot get a grasp on disappearing ships.  I was just playing in a match with a DD- set smoke in open water just in front of rocks, and i had 4 enemies 10KMs out, and clearly could see them.  So I set it, shot torps out of it for 90 seconds no issues.  But all of a sudden 4KM out a DD pops up out of nowhere?  How does that happen and how can i do that with my DD in that case?

I have also been in battles where I am shooting at a ship and each other for a good 30-45seconds- back and forth and he disappears then comes back- these are ships I am zoomed in on and doing damage to- no smoke, no rocks- I just dont get it- but today with that DD coming u 4.5km away while i was facing that direction the entire time has me scratching my head.

Any help would be great, thank you.  I love this game- but the crashing is nuts on Macs- 

[LHG]
Members
2,225 posts
6,312 battles

Ok, you have a spotting range for each enemy ship.  If a ship is within that range and you have a line of sight to it, you'll see it.  If however that ship moves out of your spotting range it essentially disappears from view.  

You also have to realize that your smokescreen not only inhibits the enemy's ability to see you, but your ability to see them.  This can cause situations where an enemy ship is approaching your smoke screen but you can't see it until it is right on top of you because your smoke is obscuring your own vision. 

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel

Members
309 posts
1 hour ago, eagleye111 said:

I need some help, and I get the detectability, smoke screen radar- etc.  But I cannot get a grasp on disappearing ships.  I was just playing in a match with a DD- set smoke in open water just in front of rocks, and i had 4 enemies 10KMs out, and clearly could see them.  So I set it, shot torps out of it for 90 seconds no issues.  But all of a sudden 4KM out a DD pops up out of nowhere?  How does that happen and how can i do that with my DD in that case?

I have also been in battles where I am shooting at a ship and each other for a good 30-45seconds- back and forth and he disappears then comes back- these are ships I am zoomed in on and doing damage to- no smoke, no rocks- I just dont get it- but today with that DD coming u 4.5km away while i was facing that direction the entire time has me scratching my head.

Any help would be great, thank you.  I love this game- but the crashing is nuts on Macs- 

the thread tittle 'newbie - 5 weeks in' suggests that you have only been playing for 5 weeks? curious. Looking at your stats (na.wows-numbers) then it seems that you have been playing rather a lot of games in those 5 weeks; actually 13 hours per day none stop for 5 weeks! and you still haven't figured it out?

[R-L]
Members
11 posts
8,589 battles

Thanks for the replies- I appreciate the wiki link someone just gave me that info.  I get it, but its odd- i am in a long or mid range volley with my Battle ship or Cruiser and i am going back and forth clear LOS- then the ship disappears.  Still well within shooting range let alone detectability range. 

It literally happened when I was in spectator mode earlier, after I got killed off i was watching the over all game- and the destroyer was firing then disappeared but his guns were going off anyhow then he popped up again .  No smoke open water, maybe its just me- 

Thanks for the help- except for sendit2me30-  WAD- and I checked and its actually been a little over 2 months so break that down for me and send me the stats.  LOL

[A-D-F]
Members
2,032 posts
7,286 battles

You see ships that you have spotted AND ships that your teammates have spotted.

It may be that the ship actually doing the spotting (not you, in this case) moved behind an island briefly.  Once line of sight is broken, the spotted ship disappears until he clears the island.  As for the magically appearing dd, it is likely that no one had him spotted until you did when he got within 2 km (assured detection range).  Hydro when you smoke up, if you have access to it.  That will give you more vision.  Also, smoke is a torpedo magnet.  Players will fire torps into the smoke and they can hit you even if no one can see you.

Welcome!  And slow down.  That's a metric shitton of games played for just 5 weeks.  It's easy to burn out.

Good hunting.