You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

DD captains, in the Immortal words of the Hitchhiker's Guide, "Don't Panic - Part II

4 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
529 posts
8,771 battles

Update to the Radar Ships spreadsheet/pdf. Added Wichita to list of T7 ships.  Also added a caveat to the Pan Asian dds.  In my experience, Pan Asian dd drivers (myself included) tend to chose smoke over Radar because of the proliferation of CV players.

Please share this widely through the WOWs community.  While it is critical knowledge for the dd Mains, it still very useful to our cruiser and BB compatriots.

I know that it's tough out there these days to drive a dd.  The combination of CVs and Radar has forced us to change how we play.  Here is my suggestion that has helped me.  Division up.  Ask your clan members if you're in a clan.  If not, you can ask to division up once you see the list of ships during the launch.  Pick someone who can help you and you can help them.  If you're a stealthy torp dd, team up with a gun dd or a good AA cruiser.  If you're a gun heavy dd, ask for a good hybrid dd to help or a heavy cruiser who can take some hits and not melt.

Playing dds in this game is NOT a first-person-shooter type of game.  It's more like playing chess.

BTW -saw ONE division over the last week that was brilliant and terrifying at the same time.  3 Shimas divisioned up (from the same clan).  Through chat, they got support from 2 powerful AA cruisers.  It was obvious that they had real-time-coms because they would ripple-fire torps into the caps.  They drove us off, took a cap, and then moved to the next one.  We never stood a chance.

Playing dds well is a cerebral exercise.  Adapt, persevere, and overcome.

Radar Ships.xlsx

Radar Ships 2.pdf

• Cool 2

[MINVY]
[MINVY]
Members
708 posts
6,100 battles

Thanks for the advice. Learning to adapt is another reason to enjoy this game. The early spotting responsibility changes with a CV world but I find that interesting as well. Both sides get a sneak preview of how everyone is setting up and then its a question of how the game strategy shifts after that. I've not personally felt over harassed by CV's when I'm out in my destroyers but it is something to watch out for. I love the high tier Pan Asian destroyers but haven't quite found the courage yet to try radar over smoke. Use of the P key to toggle AA is critical (and turning on the air detection circle on mini-map). I've been able at times to avoid being spotted by changing course as planes come in.

Best division I've ever had was a mini LAN party at my place a few months ago with a couple of my friends. I was in Yueyang, my other friend in Z-52 and we had a Worchester for cruiser support. That was before the carrier changes but we stomped the competition in several games.

[O-PN]
Members
9,125 posts
10,593 battles
2 hours ago, AMajor said:

Playing dds in this game is NOT a first-person-shooter type of game.  It's more like playing chess.

BTW -saw ONE division over the last week that was brilliant and terrifying at the same time.  3 Shimas divisioned up (from the same clan).  Through chat, they got support from 2 powerful AA cruisers.  It was obvious that they had real-time-coms because they would ripple-fire torps into the caps.  They drove us off, took a cap, and then moved to the next one.  We never stood a chance.

Playing DDs well is a cerebral exercise. Adapt, persevere, and overcome.

Radar Ships.xlsx

Radar Ships 2.pdf

Word man, word.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to panic.

[SYN]
Members
1,171 posts
9,788 battles
10 hours ago, AMajor said:

Playing dds well is a cerebral exercise.  Adapt, persevere, and overcome.

I think it takes about 42 games to get there.