You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SJ_Sailer

How does a DD shoot down more planes than a Cruiser?

39 comments in this topic

[MHG]
[MHG]
Members
883 posts
3,861 battles

image.thumb.png.269986f2632aebdeed953bbebe5efb11.pngCV's don't shoot at Cruisers anymore.

image.thumb.png.39ef7ddc9d766c7e50d7553d9b7c857c.png

Edited by SJ_Sailer

[O_O]
Members
6,224 posts
14,388 battles

40 planes in Nicholas.  I was pretty surprised.

Bux1k4f.jpg

• Cool 1

[TARK]
Members
5,216 posts
2,144 battles

Sims is an AA ship.

In order for lots of planes to die, the CV captain has to commit to a strike.

The best AA ships dont shoot lots of planes down...because their reputation scares the planes away.

Shooting down planes means  you are in a fight the CV deems worthy of losing planes to conduct. 

• Cool 7

[ENDO]
Members
280 posts

NOTE: This is my observation, not connected with the development nor do I have direct knowledge as to the real mechanics.

AA effectiveness is built around the concept of Sectors and crossing the sectors. As the planes attack, they are given bonuses for surviving the initial strike. To do this, they set up sectors, so when the planes hit the first sector, its chances of survival is greater. As it transitions to the sector on the other side, the planes protection diminishes.

DDs tend to turn more than other ships and therefore the planes cross the sectors more often. This is why a Shima can shoot down 5 or more planes where as other ships with better AA do worse.

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
1,905 posts
23,719 battles

Another reason imo is that when a CV finds a DD early in the battle, especially if it is not by other ships, it's easier to keep coming after him time after time than to go into areas where multiple ships have overlapping AA.  I've found that my Fletcher easily gets double digit plane kills when a CV just keeps on comin', especially if the CVs are tier VIII.

• Cool 2

[PISD]
Members
1,016 posts
4,856 battles

Easy: AA have more range than its detection. Wait until the CV is within your AA range and unable to leave and turn on your aa. Tge CV will be unable to do its attack and suffer major casualties.

cruisers cannot do that.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,715 posts
12,271 battles

Becausr AA is rigged in the CVs favor. They just have to doge a little and avoid almost all of it.

DDs can get higher plane counts because they can trigger their AA from stealth and get some good flack bursts in before they start dodging.

• Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[USMC_]
Members
1,660 posts

1.  The planes were down tiered to you so easier to shoot down.

2.  You're in an AA DD.

3.  The CVs may have actively avoided the cruisers.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
19,835 posts
12,005 battles
1 minute ago, Y_Nagato said:

Easy: AA have more range than its detection. Wait until the CV is within your AA range and unable to leave and turn on your aa. Tge CV will be unable to do its attack and suffer major casualties.

cruisers cannot do that.

Edinburgh 5.8km AA range, 5.8km air detect range

Seattle 6.9km AA range, 6.9km air detect range

Cleveland 5.8km AA range, 5.8km air detect range

Wichita 5.8km AA range, 5.8km air detect range

Ibuki 5.8km AA range, 5.8km air detect range

ARP Takao 5.8km AA range, 5.8km air detect range 

Atago 5.8km AA range, 5.8km air detect range

Mogami 5.8km AA range, 5.8km air detect range

While Cruisers can not let the planes in deep to the AA bubble, they can attack the planes as soon as they are spotted.

Note, not a comprehensive list as I just looked at my T8+ cruisers

[SKI]
Members
20 posts
6,892 battles

Anything can happen under the right conditions.

Downed 44 with a Mutsuki vs a pair of Langleys.

Screenshot (27).png

Edited by DD557_Aquaria

[YORHA]
Members
4,804 posts
9,477 battles
1 hour ago, HazardDrake said:

Becausr AA is rigged in the CVs favor. They just have to doge a little and avoid almost all of it.

DDs can get higher plane counts because they can trigger their AA from stealth and get some good flack bursts in before they start dodging.

Perhaps maybe you should play at least one game in a CV before making a blanket statement like that?

Just one?

• Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
1 hour ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Sims is an AA ship.

In order for lots of planes to die, the CV captain has to commit to a strike.

The best AA ships don't shoot lots of planes down...because their reputation scares the planes away.

Shooting down planes means  you are in a fight the CV deems worthy of losing planes to conduct. 

Exactly this!!!!

This is similar to how the outfielders in baseball who have the most accurate and strongest arms usually don't have the most outfield assists … because opposing runners tend to not take a chance against those outfielders.  OTOH, outfielders with mediocre strength arms though accurate tend to throw out more runners because runners will challenge those outfielders' arms. 

Another thing about DDs vs CL/CAs is that DDs have better concealment and planes have to come rather deep into their AA envelopes, increasing the time they have to do damage and get plane kills.  OTOH, CA's tend to be spotted from a decent distance and can be avoided.  CLs can be a little more difficult to detect, but even so, you don't get very deep into their AA envelopes when you first detect a concealed CL, so getting out isn't that difficult.

And I agree 100% with that final sentence.  Sums it up very well.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,350 posts
17,564 battles

Kills are meaningless. Damage done matters. If the cruiser did 90% of the plane squadrons HP in damage and the DD just landed the finishing blows on low health targets, the cruiser still did the majority of the work.

[MHG]
[MHG]
Members
883 posts
3,861 battles
8 minutes ago, Oldschool_Gaming_YT said:

Come again?

shot-19_04.06_16_22.53-0106.thumb.jpg.7da82c5bd5098e08b0029bd266d9c6b9.jpg

Damn, someone has a crush on you.

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,957 posts
14,614 battles

Easy:

The cv avoid cruisers and dd is harder to spot/invisible AA.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,226 posts
22,240 battles
5 hours ago, SJ_Sailer said:

image.thumb.png.269986f2632aebdeed953bbebe5efb11.pngCV's don't shoot at Cruisers anymore.

image.thumb.png.39ef7ddc9d766c7e50d7553d9b7c857c.png

Tier VI CVs, that's a big one.  Trashy planes for trashy Carriers.

Enterprise fields low quality Tier VII planes that get shredded.

Sims is also a good AA DD.  She has problems but AA isn't one.

The next is that most of the Cruisers in your team are trashy or mediocre in AA ability to start with.  Even in US Cruisers, the AA doesn't truly become great until Tier VIII, so mid tier Non-USN Cruisers have pretty bad AA.  The Neptune in the second screenshot could have been a nasty AA threat but judging by his BaseXP, looks like he got himself deleted early.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[PISD]
Members
1,016 posts
4,856 battles
22 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

Edinburgh 5.8km AA range, 5.8km air detect range

Seattle 6.9km AA range, 6.9km air detect range

Cleveland 5.8km AA range, 5.8km air detect range

Wichita 5.8km AA range, 5.8km air detect range

Ibuki 5.8km AA range, 5.8km air detect range

ARP Takao 5.8km AA range, 5.8km air detect range 

Atago 5.8km AA range, 5.8km air detect range

Mogami 5.8km AA range, 5.8km air detect range

While Cruisers can not let the planes in deep to the AA bubble, they can attack the planes as soon as they are spotted.

Note, not a comprehensive list as I just looked at my T8+ cruisers

Sure, but it is quite less effective. Wait with a Monaghan for the plane to be at 3km of you to turn in on and they will fall like flies. While cruiser will have a lesser window to do so.

[NUWES]
Members
2,923 posts
9,670 battles

Just to add, none of those cruisers are potent AA ships and their captains almost certainly didn't spec for AA which makes it wose. The Sims almost certainly did or he wouldn't have lived long enough to get high score and kill all those planes. I take Sims out whenever I need plane kills for one of those missions. I'd use Kidd but CV captains know to avoid Kidd because they are always AA specced. They don't know about ships like Sims, Nicholas and Monaghan which also have very potent AA.

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,077 posts
5,729 battles

Yea .... Sims has always had a very impressive AA suite,  Likely you got isolated and represented a more inviting target so mistakes were made......    I watch Noob CVs decide that Kidds are inviting all the time as well.    That always ends comically.    

[SYJ]
Members
126 posts
11,233 battles

I was in a battle yesterday and a Montana shot 105 planes down.   He was chasing down the Enterprise at end of game and wave after wave of Tier 7 planes were sent at him.  They actually got him in the end but we still won.