You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Dogget

Re-Entry. You Only Get One Chance To Make A Second Impression.

8 comments in this topic

[FREE_]
[FREE_]
Members
102 posts
5,214 battles

What am I missing?

I'm about to get back into WoWS, a much wiser and focused Captain.   While absence makes the heart grow fonder, deprivation makes the heart grow hungry and driven.

I have learned more watching and posting in recent weeks than I did in the couple months I played in early 2018.  I had a little disposable income and disposed of much of it here.  

I got out ahead of my skis.  My ships were up to T9, but at best, my skills were T5.

I have a few nice Premiums and worked the U.S. and IJN Cruiser lines.  I was actually surprised to see how many BBs I have, if I really still have them.  Thought I did well with my 2 Frenchies, thought I did well with the Roma, and liked my Alabama, but then....

I looked at my profile on this journey back and noticed that pretty much the only ships I sunk were MINE!  I almost never EVER sunk an enemy ship.  Apparently, my recollections were a bit hazy.

I did wonder why I ALWAYS got smoked in Random Battles (when I nerved up to play one).  Now I know.  I was careless, cavalier, and clueless.  And when I got adopted by a very good clan, I embarrased them by taking out a T10 loaner Hindenburg and lasting a FULL few minutes!

I always just jumped into the fight.  Island hugging and laying low early crossed my mind, but felt like cowardice; as if I had to answer to someone for why I wasn't FIGHTING.  Also, things like angling into a foe, exposing my broadside to skilled shooterd, even knowing where citadels were, eluded me. Simply a kid with a new toy.

So, if you are kinda new, one of the great abilities of life is to learn from the mistakes of OTHERS.  So, look at mine.

If you're a pro and reading this, I ask again: what am I missing?

I have a good base of ships.  Luvs my IJN cruisers (Torpa! Torpa! Torpa!) and am working the US line to the Des Moines.  And, like I mentioned, have some Premiums to help pay the rent.

Would LOVE any insights, tips, advice, consent, filibuster, Buster Brown, Tier Talk... Anything.

Thanks.

• Cool 2

[EQRN]
Members
1,880 posts
15,709 battles

IJN and US cruisers are blap material.  Don’t be the first to shoot, let someone else take that honor, or hope you have DDs who know what spotting is.  Get a feel for where most of the enemy is relative to island cover - minimize the ships that will be shooting you and angle such that no one has a clear broadside shot on you.  Torps are nice but not at the cost of your ship.  Cruisers doing chip damage over the course of a match are worth more than a cruiser that dies early trying to get torps into the enemy.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,182 posts
12,658 battles

Zath's Replay Theater on YouTube is a good watch, especially my games, in which he tears my mistakes into tiny little pieces. :Smile_teethhappy:

Members
154 posts
6,960 battles

I went through a similar evolution going from Co-Op to Random.  Even after seeing the videos, reading the forum, etc.  I did the same....ran my ship forward, and usually paid the price of an early death.   It took me a few dozen (or more) games to realize that boldness in Random had to be measured with STAYING ALIVE to help your team out to the end.  After that, I tried to play more 'sneaky' and shoot and scoot.  That helped!  In most Random games, there comes a time (when your side is winning and you have sunk around half of the other fleet) that you can 'push' out ahead a little...as long as you have other friendly ships as backup.   That many times is the key to survival, Staying With The Group....if you are a Cruiser, it always helps to have a Big Brother (BB) around to help you sink (or get away from) a superior force.    Be patient.  Run the game in Replay, and see what you could have done better.  You have to keep looking at the Map and asking - "Is this the best place to be FOR MY TEAM?".  That - positioning to use your ship the best - takes practice.  Don't go off alone (I speak from Experience!) to see what is around that island, that flank, or "I'll check it out and give early warning of enemy ships".   And did I say be patient?  It takes time, as you are programming your brain to look for different things, and move to help your team while protecting your health.  I'm still learning.....   that's why I like the Space Assault games, it is essentially Random matches with very good ships, and you have to use teamwork to win.  And people are not as critical I have found.  Good luck, and keep playing!

Members
5,112 posts
9,462 battles

WAtch replays by Jingles, iChase, and Notser to get good ideas of how to play classes and specific ships.  Watch the videos on aiming and go back to early tiers and learn the ships.  Look at the WoWs Wiki to learn the basic play style of the specific ship.  Don't be in a rush and learn how to survive...  Each nation has its own flavor - find the one you like.

Beta Testers
474 posts
2,899 battles

Check out the WOWS wiki, it's chock full of good info for every ship. LittleWhiteMouse has also made excellent reviews on the premium ships in the game.

[WOLF6]
Members
396 posts
3,276 battles
5 hours ago, Dogget said:

I got out ahead of my skis.  My ships were up to T9, but at best, my skills were T5.

Congrats, just by recognizing this, you've already turned a corner many players never do.

I'd go back to Tier 4, and learn the basic ship roles.  T4 also has the benefit of protected MM (you can't get +2 uptiered).  Phoenix/Kuma teach one how to cruiser, Clemson/Isokaze teach basic DD types, and Wyoming/Kaiser are great at learning the "one step ahead" planning needed to position well in BBs.  As far as tactics: focus on survival.  The longer you stay alive, the longer you have an effect on the match.

As mentioned above, spend some time on the wiki.  Specifically, read the following sections:

• Gunnery and Armor
  • Spotting
  • Ammunition
  • Upgrades
  • Commanders

Cheers.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,503 posts
3 hours ago, CylonRed said:

WAtch replays by Jingles, iChase, and Notser to get good ideas of how to play classes and specific ships.  Watch the videos on aiming and go back to early tiers and learn the ships.  Look at the WoWs Wiki to learn the basic play style of the specific ship.  Don't be in a rush and learn how to survive...  Each nation has its own flavor - find the one you like.

This.  Youtubers a streamers sometimes get hate.  It's often a matter of opinion and sometimes I agree with it and sometimes I don't.

What isn't opinion though is their win rate and they often do very well in games which are more difficult for them than they are for us because people know who they are and they want to sink them on video.

Granted one could say will they only show their best games on youtube and they are very likely right but they also stream live and they do well there as well.  Whether you like them or dislike them, you (and I) can learn from watching good players.