Jump to content
Shoggoth_pinup

Raining on your Parade: How Not to Die to a CV

11 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

868
[KAPPA]
Members
2,781 posts
7,544 battles

Are you a CV? Recall your planes, summon a different squad and spawn a fighter. You can do this up to 3 times and have 4 entire sets of fighters defending you at once if you pull this off at the right time. The sheer wall of death can be rather hilarious to watch planes fly through. Or, rather, not fly through.

Are you a BB? Do you have a plane? Bring a fighter. Pop the fighter early, and focus your sector in advance. Try to also juke and dodge their attacks if you can. Also use allies as additional AA. 

Are you a CA/CL? Do you have smoke? Smoke. Do you have Def AA? Use Def AA. Do you have access to a fighter? Pop it early, as soon as you see them coming. You don't need to kill their planes, only make them run away. Seriously, that stuff is scary. However, don't use def AA and fighter at the same time. Bring both, and alternate their use if possible. Fighter is a deadly consumable if used right. Shorter duration than before, yes, but that thing can wipe a wing from the sky. Ohh, and be sure to be evasive. Even the strongest AA can usually allow one strike through, doubly if it's a fighter, as that attacks after they pass you by. If you have poor AA, favor the fighter. If you have good AA, favor the Def AA. If your detection is good, set up AA ambushes. If your detection is poor, use islands to set up AA ambushes.

Are you a DD? Smoke and don't sit still. Keep your AA off unless it's shorter range than your detection. A lot of the time, I watch for the AA fire marker to spot a DD. Don't fire from open water, and try not to give your position away if possible. Try to save smoke for situations where you can't not use it, but assume a radar cruiser will try to help the CV eat you if they are in range.

Are you capping? Be ready to run. There are two ways to do this. One: back up into the cap. Two: charge in at a shallow angle, and orient your bow to the edge of the cap (I do two, but others might prefer the other. Do not have an island behind you. You are not a ghost and cannot phase through solid objects, but you likely will become one if you get caught out by radar/planes at that time. An island behind you can keep you broadside longer and make you an easier target, if not resulting in you running aground due to not seeing it in a blind panic. Having an island in front of you can be a mixed blessing. I prefer to stay near the very back of the cap to make it harder to find me, assuming I'm in a DD. In a CL/CA? I'm likely sweating. BB? Giggling, as I'm capping. CV? Screaming internally, as the game has gone so down to the wire that I must cap.

Are you playing the game? Keep an eye on where the enemy CV's planes come from at the start of a match. This can clue you in on where they are planning to focus their attention, as they are likely located around there. If you have AA, this is a good place to go. If you don't, this is a good place to avoid. Look to where your CV spawns. Their CV will be on the exact opposite end. Not like a mirror, but as if you turned your side of the map and put them on the CV's position on the enemy's side of the map. Is your CV in the north west? Theirs is in the south east. Try to make yourself an unappealing target. Rockets? Don't show broadside and don't give easy shots. Divebombers? Show broadside. AP bombers? Show cautious broadside and hope they can't fire them sideways effectively. Torpedoes? Get your torpedo beats going and try to juke the heck out of them. Use AA sectors on your best guess, and don't bother to switch it if they are too close, as they'll be on the other side after attacking anyways.

Anything I missed? Add it in your own comment below! I only have 100ish CV games from post-rework, but these are the various ways I've noticed that can keep one alive and keep me from looking at you like a nice cut of meat.

Edited by Shoggoth_pinup
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,373 posts

I am a big anti cv’er but have been having a blast with my ships fully Anti Air spec’d.  Then leaving the awful anti air ships at home....ie Shimi ( no aa) Kazi. 

However Manual AA to me is a waste. I want AA to be automatic so I can be shooting at targets.

Opinions?

As far as I can tell AA stacks. I am getting GREAT results without taking out an AA Cruiser...Des Moins, Worcester or Atlanta. Why waste the points on Manual AA? 

Thanks Shoggoth Pinup for the advice. 

I am in the process of setting up a DD, CA and BB at each Tier for the new Anti Air Meta. 

Tier 10

Slightly skewed because I want the legendary mods for these.

Montana, Hindenburg, Grovsni

Grovsni (sp?) is Superb but any of the Gearing based ships are good. 

Tier 9

Missouri, Buffalo, Fletcher 

Fletcher stands out among the DDs. Buffalo meh..several good choices. Iowa if you do not have MO.

Tier 8

 Massachusetts,  Yolang, ,  

Mass spec with AA AND longest range secondaries has been insane. Any Benson based DD

With DDs smoke has been extremely useful. The planes can not see me but my AA shoots them down. 

Edited by Toxic_Potato

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,373 posts

DD tactics

-No manual AA

- P for in and off most important 

- If unsure where the bomber, rocket plane is just turn turn turns

- Only take good to great AA DDs out of port. These should be maxed with AA and as many smokes as possible.

- when possible stay close to other ships. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,580
[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,394 posts
10,723 battles

Nice write up +1 for a CV write up with no complaints just some helpful advice !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
868
[KAPPA]
Members
2,781 posts
7,544 battles
On 4/14/2019 at 10:50 AM, clammboy said:

Nice write up +1 for a CV write up with no complaints just some helpful advice !!

Thanks! I play CV, so the only complaints I might voice is over hyperbole. XD We really aren't as strong as a lot seem to think.

On 4/14/2019 at 8:33 AM, Toxic_Potato said:

I am a big anti cv’er but have been having a blast with my ships fully Anti Air spec’d.  Then leaving the awful anti air ships at home....ie Shimi ( no aa) Kazi. 

However Manual AA to me is a waste. I want AA to be automatic so I can be shooting at targets.

Opinions?

As far as I can tell AA stacks. I am getting GREAT results without taking out an AA Cruiser...Des Moins, Worcester or Atlanta. Why waste the points on Manual AA? 

Thanks Shoggoth Pinup for the advice. 

I am in the process of setting up a DD, CA and BB at each Tier for the new Anti Air Meta. 

Tier 10

Slightly skewed because I want the legendary mods for these.

Montana, Hindenburg, Grovsni

Grovsni (sp?) is Superb but any of the Gearing based ships are good. 

Tier 9

Missouri, Buffalo, Fletcher 

Fletcher stands out among the DDs. Buffalo meh..several good choices. Iowa if you do not have MO.

Tier 8

 Massachusetts,  Yolang, ,  

Mass spec with AA AND longest range secondaries has been insane. Any Benson based DD

With DDs smoke has been extremely useful. The planes can not see me but my AA shoots them down. 

Manual AA is great if you want to be the one deplaning a CV. Sector focusing is at its fastest and most potent in a DD (for some reason) so if anyone should bother with focusing sectors, it's a DD, as they can switch sides fast enough to get them as they come and as they go.

And yeah, Mass's AA is excellent, as she has to basically put together a partial AA build to be a secondary monster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
221
[WOSV]
Members
584 posts
3,505 battles
On 4/14/2019 at 4:20 AM, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Try to make yourself an unappealing target. Rockets? Don't show broadside and don't give easy shots.

Except if it's an Enterprise. NEVER give broadside to Enterprise Rockets. Their drop pattern favors that.

Just felt I needed to add that. Kinda important now that they're in the rotation regularly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
868
[KAPPA]
Members
2,781 posts
7,544 battles
4 minutes ago, Halonut24 said:

Except if it's an Enterprise. NEVER give broadside to Enterprise Rockets. Their drop pattern favors that.

Just felt I needed to add that. Kinda important now that they're in the rotation regularly.

HVARs in general. Every US CV has the option. Saipan gets the circular one due to Tiny Tims, that said.

Although, they did already say not to show broadside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
221
[WOSV]
Members
584 posts
3,505 battles
1 minute ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

HVARs in general. Every US CV has the option. Saipan gets the circular one due to Tiny Tims, that said.

Although, they did already say not to show broadside.

Ah, yes. My dyslexia must have acted up. Carry on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
145 posts
10,716 battles
On 4/14/2019 at 7:20 AM, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Are you a CV? Recall your planes, summon a different squad and spawn a fighter. You can do this up to 3 times and have 4 entire sets of fighters defending you at once if you pull this off at the right time. The sheer wall of death can be rather hilarious to watch planes fly through. Or, rather, not fly through.

Are you a BB? Do you have a plane? Bring a fighter. Pop the fighter early, and focus your sector in advance. Try to also juke and dodge their attacks if you can. Also use allies as additional AA. 

Are you a CA/CL? Do you have smoke? Smoke. Do you have Def AA? Use Def AA. Do you have access to a fighter? Pop it early, as soon as you see them coming. You don't need to kill their planes, only make them run away. Seriously, that stuff is scary. However, don't use def AA and fighter at the same time. Bring both, and alternate their use if possible. Fighter is a deadly consumable if used right. Shorter duration than before, yes, but that thing can wipe a wing from the sky. Ohh, and be sure to be evasive. Even the strongest AA can usually allow one strike through, doubly if it's a fighter, as that attacks after they pass you by. If you have poor AA, favor the fighter. If you have good AA, favor the Def AA. If your detection is good, set up AA ambushes. If your detection is poor, use islands to set up AA ambushes.

Are you a DD? Smoke and don't sit still. Keep your AA off unless it's shorter range than your detection. A lot of the time, I watch for the AA fire marker to spot a DD. Don't fire from open water, and try not to give your position away if possible. Try to save smoke for situations where you can't not use it, but assume a radar cruiser will try to help the CV eat you if they are in range.

Are you capping? Be ready to run. There are two ways to do this. One: back up into the cap. Two: charge in at a shallow angle, and orient your bow to the edge of the cap (I do two, but others might prefer the other. Do not have an island behind you. You are not a ghost and cannot phase through solid objects, but you likely will become one if you get caught out by radar/planes at that time. An island behind you can keep you broadside longer and make you an easier target, if not resulting in you running aground due to not seeing it in a blind panic. Having an island in front of you can be a mixed blessing. I prefer to stay near the very back of the cap to make it harder to find me, assuming I'm in a DD. In a CL/CA? I'm likely sweating. BB? Giggling, as I'm capping. CV? Screaming internally, as the game has gone so down to the wire that I must cap.

Are you playing the game? Keep an eye on where the enemy CV's planes come from at the start of a match. This can clue you in on where they are planning to focus their attention, as they are likely located around there. If you have AA, this is a good place to go. If you don't, this is a good place to avoid. Look to where your CV spawns. Their CV will be on the exact opposite end. Not like a mirror, but as if you turned your side of the map and put them on the CV's position on the enemy's side of the map. Is your CV in the north west? Theirs is in the south east. Try to make yourself an unappealing target. Rockets? Don't show broadside and don't give easy shots. Divebombers? Show broadside. AP bombers? Show cautious broadside and hope they can't fire them sideways effectively. Torpedoes? Get your torpedo beats going and try to juke the heck out of them. Use AA sectors on your best guess, and don't bother to switch it if they are too close, as they'll be on the other side after attacking anyways.

Anything I missed? Add it in your own comment below! I only have 100ish CV games from post-rework, but these are the various ways I've noticed that can keep one alive and keep me from looking at you like a nice cut of meat.

5000+ battles and you still posting this grade [edited]? There are plenty of times you can not do anything but just be a target for some idiot playing CVs. There are ships you can not use cuz low AA. You heavily rely on teamwork that in this game is hard to come by. Therefore, the idiot playing little planes in a ship game, just makes fun cuz some nerds thought i´ll be cool to add the doom of all-gun ships...into a all-gun ship game. Duh duh. 

  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28
[-TDH-]
[-TDH-]
Members
12 posts
3,441 battles

As a CV main, let me tell the exact 2 steps to counter me.

1) At the start of the match, remind your team to "Stay together to cover each other with AA".

2) Then, stay close to your teammates to cover each other with AA.

If you go wandering off by yourself, I will locate your ship, and make attack runs on you and keep you visible to my team until you sink.

There are always exceptions to this rule, and I'm sure there are a good 30-50 DD captains on this forum who have snuck around my team and given me a torpedo buffet, but the reality is I always avoid clumps of ships and spend most of my time scouting for lone rangers to immediately annihilate.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
868
[KAPPA]
Members
2,781 posts
7,544 battles
1 hour ago, ecparke said:

As a CV main, let me tell the exact 2 steps to counter me.

1) At the start of the match, remind your team to "Stay together to cover each other with AA".

2) Then, stay close to your teammates to cover each other with AA.

If you go wandering off by yourself, I will locate your ship, and make attack runs on you and keep you visible to my team until you sink.

There are always exceptions to this rule, and I'm sure there are a good 30-50 DD captains on this forum who have snuck around my team and given me a torpedo buffet, but the reality is I always avoid clumps of ships and spend most of my time scouting for lone rangers to immediately annihilate.

This a thousand times! Great addition! I tend to send out my rockets first for this reason, as, while spotting the red team, I can often find and cripple a more foolhardy DD that not only is charging a cap but doing it in the most obvious way imaginable. Making a beeline from spawn is a great way to die as a DD.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×