Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
pupsdad

All this coal

27 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

14
[SOFOP]
Members
95 posts
10,329 battles

I bought the Musashi every commander not so sure I want another BB so do I pull the trigger on a Salem? How about WOWS adds a Haida & Perth combo for coal I could go for that. We will see I'd like a different cruiser oh well the coal keeps coming in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
745
[TOG]
Members
4,083 posts
22,381 battles
8 minutes ago, pupsdad said:

I bought the Musashi every commander not so sure I want another BB so do I pull the trigger on a Salem? How about WOWS adds a Haida & Perth combo for coal I could go for that. We will see I'd like a different cruiser oh well the coal keeps coming in.

Only if you need a T10 boat for clan battles would I get the Salem. Haida and Perth combo for coal..unlikely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,647
[WOLF3]
Members
25,289 posts
22,304 battles

Yoshino is on the way and WG already said she'll cost Coal.  The amount hasn't been disclosed.  She is a Tier X Japanese Super Cruiser / Large Cruiser / Battlecruiser / "I don't give a f--k about your naming convention for a large ship with real big guns."  She is supposed to be what Azuma dreamed of being.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,403
[POP]
Beta Testers
4,288 posts
6,102 battles

i'm saving up for yoshino,or  yahagi,viribus unitis. salem is a coal DM,not exactly unique to me.

Edited by Cruxdei

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,640
[RLGN]
Members
13,548 posts
23,672 battles
23 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

i'm saving up for yoshino,or  yahagi,viribus unitis. salem is a coal DM,not exactly unique to me.

Schizophrenically; I hate DM, but like Salem...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,059 posts
6,189 battles
1 hour ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Only if you need a T10 boat for clan battles would I get the Salem. Haida and Perth combo for coal..unlikely.

What does salem bring to the cb table not brought more effectively by a tech tree line?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
125
[_EASY]
Members
276 posts
12,307 battles
48 minutes ago, Xanshin said:

What does salem bring to the cb table not brought more effectively by a tech tree line?

Printing credits.  The  base operating costs of the Salem are far lower....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,059 posts
6,189 battles
12 minutes ago, MWSVette1 said:

Printing credits.  The  base operating costs of the Salem are far lower....

So... nothing noteworthy for cb?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0
[BUNNY]
Members
1 post
7,445 battles
2 hours ago, Xanshin said:

So... nothing noteworthy for cb?

The only real interesting thing the Salem brings over the DM is it wonderful heal which is wonderful in randoms. However I think the DM better radar is a better choice for cb. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,059 posts
6,189 battles
Just now, Nico_Keiichi said:

The only real interesting thing the Salem brings over the DM is it wonderful heal which is wonderful in randoms. However I think the DM better radar is a better choice for cb. 

 

Cant imagine the heal saving you from coordination found in cb... especially over dm armor. Ty for responding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,878 posts
11,515 battles
5 hours ago, pupsdad said:

I bought the Musashi every commander not so sure I want another BB so do I pull the trigger on a Salem? How about WOWS adds a Haida & Perth combo for coal I could go for that. We will see I'd like a different cruiser oh well the coal keeps coming in.

have Haida no you dont. There will be a t10 BC coming soon to the armoury for coal. Expect little more then Salem. oh and it's Japanese. It's basically the Azuma everyone who tested it loved when it was t9 at t10 just means no curb stomping t7 ships. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,878 posts
11,515 battles
3 minutes ago, Xanshin said:

Cant imagine the heal saving you from coordination found in cb... especially over dm armor. Ty for responding.

You forgot it allows its 76mm guns to be used in short range aura area cause it has no short range. If only all aa system were allowed to work as originally designed. You know 85 degrees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
889
[KAPPA]
Members
2,854 posts
7,630 battles
6 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Yoshino is on the way and WG already said she'll cost Coal.  The amount hasn't been disclosed.  She is a Tier X Japanese Super Cruiser / Large Cruiser / Battlecruiser / "I don't give a f--k about your naming convention for a large ship with real big guns."  She is supposed to be what Azuma dreamed of being.

It doesn't have BB guns, so can't be a battlecruiser. :Smile_trollface:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,554
[ARGSY]
Members
18,363 posts
12,799 battles
4 hours ago, MWSVette1 said:

Printing credits.  The  base operating costs of the Salem are far lower....

That, and no need for the free-to-play crowd to find 5000 doubloons somewhere for a permacamo in order to play DM economically.

IIRC there was one available out of the Go Navy campaign; but because coal earning is not tier-dependent, it is possible for someone who started playing after that to have earned a Salem already. 

Yes, DM's radar is better... but for some people, Salem is the only economical choice for the time being and that's fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,551
[PVE]
Members
19,836 posts
12,005 battles
8 hours ago, pupsdad said:

I bought the Musashi every commander not so sure I want another BB so do I pull the trigger on a Salem? How about WOWS adds a Haida & Perth combo for coal I could go for that. We will see I'd like a different cruiser oh well the coal keeps coming in.

As others have noted.

Salem gets a baked in -50% service cost, the T10 perma-camo it comes with has a -50% service cost and +20% credits. So it's a lot harder to lose credits in the Salem than the DM.

Salem and Des Moines both have the same main guns, secondaries, long and medium AA. The Salem doesn't have any 20mm AA, so the mid range AA takes care of that last 1.5km. That means that you have the mid range flak clouds (11-13) from 4km to 0km, so Salem has the better AA.

Salem has  a super heal, but an Atlanta's RADAR. You trade RADAR for Hydro, so you always have DFAA as it is by itself. There is no option for a spotter plane.

 

Since you don't have DM, Salem would be a good choice while you grind Buffalo to DM. I have both Salem and DM and have set up DM for survivability and Salem for AA, so I have a choice of how to run a T10 US CA.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,678 posts
17,072 battles
14 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

As others have noted.

Salem gets a baked in -50% service cost, the T10 perma-camo it comes with has a -50% service cost and +20% credits. So it's a lot harder to lose credits in the Salem than the DM.

Salem and Des Moines both have the same main guns, secondaries, long and medium AA. The Salem doesn't have any 20mm AA, so the mid range AA takes care of that last 1.5km. That means that you have the mid range flak clouds (11-13) from 4km to 0km, so Salem has the better AA.

Salem has  a super heal, but an Atlanta's RADAR. You trade RADAR for Hydro, so you always have DFAA as it is by itself. There is no option for a spotter plane.

 

Since you don't have DM, Salem would be a good choice while you grind Buffalo to DM. I have both Salem and DM and have set up DM for survivability and Salem for AA, so I have a choice of how to run a T10 US CA.

Not sure if anyone ever tells you this, but your posts are always great, factual, and genuine. Need more guys like this around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,551
[PVE]
Members
19,836 posts
12,005 battles
9 minutes ago, CaucasianReroll said:

Not sure if anyone ever tells you this, but your posts are always great, factual, and genuine. Need more guys like this around.

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,554
[ARGSY]
Members
18,363 posts
12,799 battles
9 minutes ago, CaucasianReroll said:

Not sure if anyone ever tells you this, but your posts are always great, factual, and genuine. Need more guys like this around.

I have more than once suggested that he be made a community contributor. Little White Mouse is proof that you don't always have to have a YouTube or Twitch presence for this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
750
[USMC_]
Members
1,660 posts

You don't see it mentioned often and maybe it doesn't make a huge difference in the long run, but premium ships let you move Captains in and out for free.  Helpful if you want to either train a Captain or have one you use for that class of ship or have them spec'd for different roles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
267
[LTPTG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,809 posts
1,478 battles

Salem is a good ship, as a BB main I have to learn the art of island hiding to be effective in her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
745
[TOG]
Members
4,083 posts
22,381 battles
7 hours ago, Xanshin said:

What does salem bring to the cb table not brought more effectively by a tech tree line?

Mega Heal. like I said only if you don't have a T10 to bring to CB, would I consider getting it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4 posts
3,497 battles

No JB mentions here? The ship that spoiled all other battleships for me? The one you can shot every 20 secs when AR kicks, and you can punish wherever the F broadside you see by just hiting that rld consumable??? Last night I had time for one play 

An almost 3k kraken game later I was happy 

jean_bart_201k_2900_pontos.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,133
[A-D-F]
Members
2,035 posts
7,286 battles

There is something to be said for both the Salem AND Jean Bart.  I have both and like them quite a bit.

As mentioned earlier, Salem and DesMemes can be very different ships.  Jean Bart's reload booster coupled with her speed and agility makes for a very dangerous ship when placed on a flank.

If you are still undecided, wait for more coal ships so you have a wider range of choices.  Then pick a ship wherein the positives align closest to your preferred playstyle.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14
[SOFOP]
Members
95 posts
10,329 battles

Looks like I'll be waiting to see Yoshino roll out. That sounds most interesting to me right now.

Thanks to all for lots of info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,963
[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,622 posts

If I had played the JB, but I didn't already own the JB, I would be buying the JB right now.

That said when it comes to getting ships for free in this game, my question is never which would should I get? It is always in what order should I get them in?  The goal is to have them all because at some point, each of them is likely to come in useful for something.

I owned all of them but the Salem. I could have held out for the new ones coming but I had the coal for the Salem now.  Bought it now because I will have the resources for the ones coming at some point anyway.  The odds are that if any are removed from the shop, it will be the ones that have been up the longest first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×