Meeresgottin

How Destroyers Are Ruining WoW

53 comments in this topic

Members
4 posts
635 battles

I just started playing WoW and I'm unable to grind many of my ships due to the excessive amount of allied destroyers entering each game taking a high percentage of the kills due to there speed. The game is becoming a complete drag lately especially for battleships and some cruisers. With regret, I purchased my own clan for my own amusement but will not be purchasing anything more as in premium accounts or vessels. It just doesn't pay. This is a constant occurrence where your hands are tied each and every game when there are allied destroyers involved. I guess I'm finding it most frustrating to the point where I'm playing this game less and less lately which is not a good thing for WoW. I know there has to be a high percentage of individuals who feel the same way no matter what anyone may tell you. It just so happens I'm voicing my opinion in the forum on this matter but I'm not sure anything will change. The one thing I won't do is enter a Random battle because the players in Random are very cut throat. God forbid you don't play to perfection, you'll end up on the guillotine. You're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place in the end. You can't grind in CO-op and you're not up to everyone's standards in a random battle. Leaves you discouraged enough to wanna throw the towel in and completely leave the game.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 5
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 22

[INTEL]
Members
12,347 posts
34,271 battles

In coop, yes, its a problem with slow BBs. My sympathies. 

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[MINVY]
[MINVY]
Members
714 posts
6,136 battles

Once you are out of the bottom tiers there are a lot of other mitigating factors. Dds are not out of control. 

Edited by Capn_Nugget
Typo
  • Boring 1

Members
1,526 posts
10,950 battles

With only 78 battles, DD's are honestly the last thing you should be playing as a new player. Try BB's or german/japanese cruisers instead.

The skill curve for DD's is high. Your frustration will be a lot less if you put them aside until you get some experience in the game.

• Boring 1

Members
3,358 posts
12,079 battles
2 minutes ago, _Rumple_ said:

With only 78 battles, DD's are honestly the last thing you should be playing as a new player. Try BB's or german/japanese cruisers instead.

The skill curve for DD's is high. Your frustration will be a lot less if you put them aside until you get some experience in the game.

He's complaing about other players playing DDs in co op, taking all the kills/damage.

edit: which at least in the PVE discussion section, seems to be an issue.

Edited by Octavian_of_Roma

Members
1,526 posts
10,950 battles
6 minutes ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

He's complaing about other players playing DDs in co op, taking all the kills/damage.

edit: which at least in the PVE discussion section, seems to be an issue.

My bad, speed reading ftw :fish_book:

Members
689 posts
5,687 battles

Maybe you should position and aim better.

DDs are certainly not a class oft credited to "taking most of the kills" unless the rest of the team is severely underperforming.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[A-CUP]
Members
1,023 posts
8,232 battles

Try to avoid co op in low tier BB. The simplicity of the bots moves make it easy for dds just to run out and torp.. Go into randoms and youll see a different perspective from co op

Edited by Nagato_Kai__Ni

[RKLES]
Members
12,222 posts
13,863 battles
35 minutes ago, Meeresgottin said:

I just started playing WoW and I'm unable to grind many of my ships due to the excessive amount of allied destroyers entering each game taking a high percentage of the kills due to there speed. The game is becoming a complete drag lately especially for battleships and some cruisers. With regret, I purchased my own clan for my own amusement but will not be purchasing anything more as in premium accounts or vessels. It just doesn't pay. This is a constant occurrence where your hands are tied each and every game when there are allied destroyers involved. I guess I'm finding it most frustrating to the point where I'm playing this game less and less lately which is not a good thing for WoW. I know there has to be a high percentage of individuals who feel the same way no matter what anyone may tell you. It just so happens I'm voicing my opinion in the forum on this matter but I'm not sure anything will change. The one thing I won't do is enter a Random battle because the players in Random are very cut throat. God forbid you don't play to perfection, you'll end up on the guillotine. You're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place in the end. You can't grind in CO-op and you're not up to everyone's standards in a random battle. Leaves you discouraged enough to wanna throw the towel in and completely leave the game.

Low tier Destroyers do run wild, but once you reach tiers 4-6 the DDs start losing the ability to take so many kills.

[LHG]
Members
2,225 posts
6,312 battles

Oh well I'm with you on Carriers ... 

what, we aren't talking about carriers????

Sorry, I though this was a "Carriers are ruining WOWS" thread.  

Carry on. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 5

[CHBK]
Members
562 posts
2,698 battles
49 minutes ago, Meeresgottin said:

That won't be a thing in mid-late tiers.  

[X-PN]
Members
9,128 posts
10,602 battles
13 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Low tier Destroyers do run wild, but once you reach tiers 4-6 the DDs start losing the ability to take so many kills.

Not with me in the match, they don't. :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,359 posts
13,880 battles
1 hour ago, Meeresgottin said:

This is a co-op problem. Spend more time in random and patience combined with more patience, picking the right time to attack, wins battles.

[FGNE]
Members
889 posts
4,108 battles

Play in randoms, if anyone provides good advice take it; if they just want to rant simply chat-silence them and move on... lots of folks often forget they were once in your shoes (and some times they will be still :Smile_veryhappy:).

Members
1,059 posts
6,189 battles
1 hour ago, Meeresgottin said:

I feel your pain. Co ops are very short and brutal... most folks just full throttle zerg in, spray and pray shells and torps, and ram something... and oddly enough it works. BBs dont always have enough time to shine in such short quick brawls.

If you're going to stick to bbs id suggest germans... and to give randoms a chance. They can be saltier than a plate of salt made of a salt lick, but the xp is far better and so are the skills you pick up. 

German bbs are very forgiving of mistakes... and dds start to be leery of you t8+... 

Anyway, ignore the salt... its coming from folks that due to their wife and kids not respecting them, they hate their job, their wifes boyfriend didnt clean the pool like he was supposed to... that here and now in a video game theyre going to draw a line in the sand and try to bring you down to their level of misery...

Dont buy into it. Just have fun and try your best. Most of us arent salt licks. O7

• Funny 2

[USCC2]
Members
5,808 posts
3 hours ago, Meeresgottin said:

There is merit to what you say. Early level grinding does put slow BBs at a disadvantage. Every shot counts and many shots have poor dispersion. In Randoms concentrate on hitting the big targets (cruisers/BBs), I find that racks up the points because the dispersion obviously works better for you when aiming at something bigger. You have to trust your DDs/CLs to deal with the smaller targets - you can take a shot but understand it will likely not result in great damage the majority of times.

Co-Op is different. The bots come straight for you so can be predictable., they are surprisingly good at dodging torps, their accuracy is very good too. Early tiers the torp reload is only around 2x that of a BB gun reload (very roughly). In later tiers the reload is 3-4x depending on the DD and BB. Also there are very few ships that don't  have something to work against the DDs concealment.

Remember: BBs bring the majority of the players to WoWs and WG will always ensure they are easier to play, they are more forgiving, they do the most damage, survive the longest and make the best XP/credits (not surprising with the info just listed). The stats/evidence shows this and has done for over 2 years on all WoWs servers.

Although it does not excuse WGs balance issues, I hope when you finish the early tiers and spend what you will find is the majority of your time at the higher tiers you will remember how bad it was for the BB at low tier - because the tables turn and then some higher tier. I agree with you early tiers regarding DDs.

Another thing to consider is that the CVs have just been relaunched. With all the stuff mentioned above and now add the CVs, you might find DD players have moved to low tier and CoOp where they have a better chance (low tier/random or high tier/co-op).

I hope WG addresses the issues for low tier play and high tier, to make everyone's game enjoyable, whatever the ship type. :Smile_honoring:

[INTEL]
Members
12,347 posts
34,271 battles
5 hours ago, The_Painted_Target said:

Maybe you should position and aim better.

DDs are certainly not a class oft credited to "taking most of the kills" unless the rest of the team is severely underperforming.

He is talking about PVE. There DD's getting kills easily is a problem.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 2

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,878 posts
11,515 battles

Wait till you hit ranked play and all the dds refuse to go to the objective because there is a cv.

[LSNB]
Members
1,453 posts
4,065 battles

In low tiers, DDs are able to ambush BBs with torps because of the latter's slow speed and lack of defenses. This makes positioning and route planning all the more important. If you are able to expose yourself to a Devastating Strike from a DD, you clearly did something wrong.

Edited by destawaits

[O_O]
Members
6,225 posts
14,396 battles
8 hours ago, Meeresgottin said:

...excessive amount of allied destroyers entering each game taking a high percentage of the kills due to there speed.

The one thing I won't do is enter a Random battle because the players in Random are very cut throat. God forbid you don't play to perfection, you'll end up on the guillotine. You're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place in the end. You can't grind in CO-op and you're not up to everyone's standards in a random battle. Leaves you discouraged enough to wanna throw the towel in and completely leave the game.

Yes, at low and mid tiers, DD's in Co-op tend to soak up quick kills, leaving sluggish, low ROF battleships with little chance to deliver damage.  It isn't every game, but it is pretty frequent.

There are players who primarily stick with Co-op, and that is fine.  However, I would still urge you to try Random more.  Players will sometimes grief you, but if you ignore their hostile words and consider what they are trying to say, some of them may have a point.  Consider their input, salty and uncivilized as it may be, as it may help you improve.  Co-op and Random have completely different strategies if you want to succeed.  In Co-op, the bots (especially at low tiers) charge straight in and are predictable.  In Random, some players may charge in, some may hide in the back, and there will be a lot who do anything in between.  I have never played a game in Co-op that was memorable (casual and fun, sure, but not memorable).  Random not only pays better, but can produce some edge-of-the-seat, 'can't believe we just pulled that off' game play.

There are a few nasty players (late evening seems worse), but I don't find the nastiness to be all that common.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,281 posts
12,732 battles

OP, destroyers have been in this game since the very beginning, and the lower-tier battleships (especially the American ones) have always suffered in this regard. It pains me that all I can advise is persistence. Go into co-op to learn how your guns behave and how your ship turns; go into Randoms for hard-core Xp accumulation.

Don't listen to the rabid idiots who have no patience for Randoms newcomers. They are filth. Ignore them, and report them for misbehavious in chat if they abuse you. Just keep on plodding, keep on trying to improve, and don't lose heart. Send replays to @Lord_Zath, who has been of immense help to me when it comes to learning how to play ships.

Finally, I can appreciate if you want to take a step back from paying for more content for a while. It was about nine months before I even bought a single thing in this game; I wanted to be sure I was invested enough before I put money into it. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[EQRN]
Members
1,893 posts
15,806 battles

The thing with co op is bot DDs charge in, smoke when spotted, but keep charging in ahead of their smoke.  They usually die pretty early, leaving human DDs with no counter DD, then they just run loose.

Members
627 posts
8,271 battles
9 hours ago, Meeresgottin said:

I'm a DD main, so let me see if I can help a wee bit.

Yes, DDs can wreck havoc at the lower tiers. This is true in co-op and randoms. It's an absolute knife fight at T2 and T3 with the little boats, high speeds, quick turns, torpedoes zipping off the rails ever 20-30 seconds, and ranges of 4-6 km most of the game. There have been times, to be perfectly honest, when I've sunk stuff that I didn't even shoot at; someone dodges my shot and someone else drives in front of the torps. It's a lot of fun, but you have to be able to hold your breath for 20 minutes as you may not have time to breath for the duration of the game. Now imagine this in a 12 x 12 random game with 6 DDs on a side.

Into that environment you appear with a BB or CA. 

My first piece of advice is not to panic. Yes, your progress may be slow, but you will make progress. Mine was slow as well. I couldn't even figure out how to aim properly for several hundred games. And then, getting good at aiming and hitting a particular part of the ship is even further down the road.

Next, aim at what you can hit. DDs at the lower tiers are extremely low in the water and oftentimes hard to hit, especially at the speeds they run. In the early stages, start working over the bigger ships, then switch to the smaller ones after the initial skirmish is winding down.

Focus on damage over time (DOT). In these tiers, that means starting fires; lots and lots of fires.

Lastly, give yourself time. DDs are not the worst thing you'll encounter in this game. But you should not judge the entire breadth of the game on 100 games, or 200, or even 300 or 400. By the time you get 400 games in, you'll view each category of ship differently. By the time you reach a few thousand games, you'll likely have things in the proper perspective. But this game is a love affair, not a one night stand. 

Stick with it, and best of luck.

• Cool 3

[0456]
Members
467 posts
8,943 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Don't listen to the rabid idiots who have no patience for Randoms newcomers. They are filth. Ignore them, and report them for misbehavious in chat if they abuse you. Just keep on plodding, keep on trying to improve, and don't lose heart.

this

5 hours ago, The_Chiv said:

Wait till you hit ranked play and all the dds refuse to go to the objective because there is a cv.

...other ships fail to provide any real support

2 hours ago, Grflrgl said:

Lastly, give yourself time. DDs are not the worst thing you'll encounter in this game. But you should not judge the entire breadth of the game on 100 games, or 200, or even 300 or 400. By the time you get 400 games in, you'll view each category of ship differently. By the time you reach a few thousand games, you'll likely have things in the proper perspective. But this game is a love affair, not a one night stand. 

very much so

12 hours ago, _Rumple_ said:

The skill curve for DD's is high.

incredibly high

DD's are the crazy glue that hold it all together