3 comments in this topic

Members
4,221 posts
9,723 battles

Namely myself. I did try early on to give them a go but realized it's a different game, map oriented, and while I love maps I have other online pbem battles and wars for that. But I am getting the itch to give them another go.

I've commented on the CV-slamming in the forum and I've defended their presence on numerous occasions. They are much needed and add a ton of drama to any battle, but I won't go on about that here. I admire a good CV player, even whilst sinking from their assaults.

To cut to the chase... I want to give them another go. I have this love affair with the Kaga, but really, starting from scratch, some direction to some helpful videos or threads would be appreciated. Recommended CV starter ships. I can start dive-bombing and torping bots in Coop until I summon up the nerve to go into random with my carrier of choice. Not so much nerve (I am a bullish BB player mostly), more not wanting to be a team liability. Thanks in advance.

Love them or hate them they bring a feckload of presence and threat to any battle:

392542095_CV1.jpg.568c71bc047e8d7ad2f947e420cd70e4.jpg

Edited by Stauffenberg44
  • Cool 1

[-TDH-]
[-TDH-]
Members
12 posts
3,468 battles

In my experience, there are 3 main skills that you need to learn through trial and error, which are pretty obvious.  Then there are a few tactics to keep in mind while you are getting better at your game.

Skills

1) Targeting: this is obvious.  Learning how to lead ships with your torpedoes.  Learn how to remember where a DD was when it goes out of site, but starting your attack run anyway so when it comes back into view, you don't overshoot it.  Learn how to time your dive bombers way ahead of slick little CAs so that they sail into the area you aimed to start your attack run.  Using your boost after your attack run so you can put enough distance behind you and the target so when you turn around, you have the right amount of space to make a 2nd attack run.

2) Plane Management.  Lots of new players fly full squadrons into a group of ships, and while they may get 1-2k damage on a DD, they lose 9-12 planes, and those take a while to restock.  You dont want to be launching 1-2 planes at a time late game when there are only a few ships left.  I never attack any ships with a full squadron of Torpedo bombers.  Drop your first, sometimes your 2nd into the sea before you get to the target, and then make your attack run.  You'll have a full deck of planes in the end game when it will be VERY important.  Also, the "F" key is your best friend.  There are times when it is OK to lose some planes to get an attack in, but when you are first learning, be as cautious with your planes as you can.

3) Moving your CV.  While this should also seem obvious, it is very easy to get distracted dropping bombs and torpedos and forget that your CV is a sitting duck.  Especially when you get to higher tiers with DDs that can shoot torpedoes across the map, movement is huge.  I actually set my CV to do S curves or circles for the start of the map, so if I do get spotted by CV planes, it looks like Im moving somewhere. In the few seconds while your planes are taking off, you should always be moving your CV.

Tactics

1) Dropping your fighters.  Im telling you right now, you will always have teammates yelling for air cover, and it will almost always be at a time when it is way too late for you to react.  Use your fighters more as a deterrent, rather than chasing enemy planes and trying to trick them into flying straight through your fighters.  You can pull it off in T6 and T8 if the other guy isnt paying attention, but by T10 the red planes are just going to cut right or left, hit W and be gone way before your fighters show up.  

That being said, it is helpful to drop your planes to cover where your DDs are going,  The enemy CV at this point will have two options: he can back off to find another target, or he will drop his fighters to counter yours, and then try to make his attack run once the skies are clear.  What this does is buy your teammates time to make decisions (and hopefully they're paying attention).

Also, if you are the one being targeted by enemy attack planes, it is a great idea to launch planes, drop fighters immediately over your CV, hit F, then launch another set of planes.  The red planes are may land a hit or two, but they aint flying home.

2) Scouting: This is almost more important to your team than doing 80k damage.  Keeping an eye on what the enemy is doing allows your team to make decisions and attack with more efficiency.  Dropping your fighters over a wandering DD to keep an eye on him.  Continuously circling an escaping ship while not attacking so your team doesn't lose vision.  These are veteran level tactics that it takes time to master.

Is it more important to drop 5 torpedoes into a lone BB on the far side of the map or to keep an eye on the 3 ships trying to capture A?

That's all I got.  Hope it helps.

• Cool 1

[TF16B]
Modder
592 posts
729 battles

Curious...with the new AA changes coming soon, wouldn't it be advantageous to go with the full squad now since the AA will target the last planes in the squad. If you go in with a reduced sized squad, when you make your second run, the planes you'll get might be too damaged to continue?