Sign in to follow this  
Admiral_Thrawn_1

How would Real Version of SAO be like?

12 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
8,739 posts
10,828 battles

So if we ended up trapped in real version of Sword Art Online I have to wonder if we would be able to assemble enough players willing to fight and clear all the levels in the game if you ran the risk of dying in real life from it?

In the SAO Anime they talk about only having about 500 players actively fighting to clear the game out of the 10,000 trapped in the game. Granted 2,000+ players had died by that point, but I have to wonder if we would end up with more or less players fighting to clear such a game with their lives on the line?

Members
421 posts
4 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

So if we ended up trapped in real version of Sword Art Online I have to wonder if we would be able to assemble enough players willing to fight and clear all the levels in the game if you ran the risk of dying in real life from it?

In the SAO Anime they talk about only having about 500 players actively fighting to clear the game out of the 10,000 trapped in the game. Granted 2,000+ players had died by that point, but I have to wonder if we would end up with more or less players fighting to clear such a game with their lives on the line?

If there's no time pressure, I think they would be very few risking their lives as I think everyone would just wait it out for some external solution to occur to get them to log out since that's the most rational thing to do.  Trying to play a video game to resolve the situation would seem like the dumbest method because it's dangerous and you'd basically have to trust the word of a insane lunatic.

[RKLES]
Members
8,739 posts
10,828 battles
4 minutes ago, Royeaux said:

If there's no time pressure, I think they would be very few risking their lives as I think everyone would just wait it out for some external solution to occur to get them to log out since that's the most rational thing to do.  Trying to play a video game to resolve the situation would seem like the dumbest method because it's dangerous and you'd basically have to trust the word of a insane lunatic.

Except that your on life support after a short while and how many months or years would that buy you? Then once back in the real world the longer you were in the game the harder it will be for you to be able to move again on your own. So as they said in realized in the Anime, everyone in that game is on a time limit.

I know all too well the effects of life support and how long it takes you to recover, and even then such an experience can leave its scars on you.

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,717 posts
9,464 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Except that your on life support after a short while and how many months or years would that buy you? Then once back in the real world the longer you were in the game the harder it will be for you to be able to move again on your own. So as they said in realized in the Anime, everyone in that game is on a time limit.

I know all too well the effects of life support and how long it takes you to recover, and even then such an experience can leave its scars on you.

https://comicsverse.com/netflix-live-action-sword-art-online/

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
1,717 posts
9,464 battles
22 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

in the end why there is only 500 people fighting is out of the 10000 people a lot of them logged in to mess around not really to play the game, look at Asuna it wasn't her game it was her brothers game and he happened to get called away on the release day due to work. A lot of the 2000 people that died in the few months were a lot of the beta tests that thought they knew how the bosses were going to work.

Members
421 posts
12 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Why would people in-game assume it would take so long for rescue?  Effectively 12,000 are being held hostage, this would be a national emergency.  Look how big the 2018 Tham Luang cave incident became in world news with the rescue effort involving 19 countries, all for just 12 kids being trapped.

Edited by Royeaux

[RKLES]
Members
8,739 posts
10,828 battles
2 minutes ago, Shigure_DD said:

in the end why there is only 500 people fighting is out of the 10000 people a lot of them logged in to mess around not really to play the game, look at Asuna it wasn't her game it was her brothers game and he happened to get called away on the release day due to work. A lot of the 2000 people that died in the few months were a lot of the beta tests that thought they knew how the bosses were going to work.

Good thing Asuna ended up in the game since she ended up being really good at it, and without her who knows if Kirito would have stayed alive or been able to beat the game. He might have managed withit her, but having somebody to keep him from becoming too reckless does help as well as having somebody to fight for and to keep him company.

[RKLES]
Members
8,739 posts
10,828 battles
3 minutes ago, Royeaux said:

Why would people in-game assume it would take so long for rescue?  Effectively 12,000 are being held hostage, this would be a national emergency.  Look how big the 2018 Tham Luang cave incident became in world news with the rescue effort involving 19 countries, all for just 13 kids being trapped.

Except that the Nerve Gear helmets where strapped on and tampering with them too much would result in the player having their brain fried by microwaves the same way as if they lost. Unplugging the helmets would not work since they had internal batteries as back up. 

Safe to assume shutting down or tampering with game servers could have resulted in same thing. 

And in the second season of the Anime you find out the government did have a task force assembled to try and find solutions to the problem. But their inability to safely get the players out until the game was won makes me wonder if the situation was indeed perfectly booby trapped. And some players had died from attempts to have their Nerve Gears removed.

Members
421 posts
17 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Except that the Nerve Gear helmets where strapped on and tampering with them too much would result in the player having their brain fried by microwaves the same way as if they lost. Unplugging the helmets would not work since they had internal batteries as back up. 

Safe to assume shutting down or tampering with game servers could have resulted in same thing. 

And in the second season of the Anime you find out the government did have a task force assembled to try and find solutions to the problem. But their inability to safely get the players out until the game was won makes me wonder if the situation was indeed perfectly booby trapped. And some players had died from attempts to have their Nerve Gears removed.

There's no reason for the player in-game to think one man could be so ingenious as to thwart an international effort.  Especially if that one man was clearly insane.  Even for the sake of anime-logic that it's true, there's no reason for the players themselves to think that.  Insane people don't think straight, there's no logical reason his plan was completely foolproof and there's no reason to assume he's telling the truth that beating the game wins them their freedom.  For all they know, he's lying and the Nerve Gear will fry their brains anyway when they beat the game.  There's no reason to trust someone whom is clearly insane enough to put everyone in this hostage situation. Especially since the entire scenario is based on deception, he even futzed with the bosses to try and kill people.  Inaction would be the main course of action for the players in this scenario I believe.  

“In a man's struggle against the world, bet on the world.” ― Franz Kafka

Edited by Royeaux

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
1,717 posts
9,464 battles

but best version of SAO

[HSD]
Members
376 posts
10,034 battles
1 hour ago, Shigure_DD said:

but best version of SAO

I love that abridged series.

I still like when they got to the guy holding them and then he explained why and then abridged Asuna immediately came up with a better excuse. :Smile_veryhappy:

[INR]
Members
1,000 posts
3,941 battles
3 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

We'd be screwed. SAO was a fundamentally flawed game and would have been impossible to beat.

Sign in to follow this