You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Beowulf1961

Grief System Broken

33 comments in this topic

Members
11 posts
3,417 battles

Look I agree there is a need for some kind of grief system to prevent in game trolling, but the current system is broken, and has been for ages. When you get a warning for your secondaries hitting a ship that has already been sunk How the hell are you doing damage to your team mate. When your traveling east and you have a team mate traveling west when you fire your torpedoes, how is it your fault when he does a 180 and runs into your torpedoes. It's happened to me and it's happened to others. You really need to find a better fix.

• Funny 2
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 4

[PVE]
Members
19,836 posts
12,005 battles
12 minutes ago, Beowulf1961 said:

Look I agree there is a need for some kind of grief system to prevent in game trolling, but the current system is broken, and has been for ages. When you get a warning for your secondaries hitting a ship that has already been sunk How the hell are you doing damage to your team mate. When your traveling east and you have a team mate traveling west when you fire your torpedoes, how is it your fault when he does a 180 and runs into your torpedoes. It's happened to me and it's happened to others. You really need to find a better fix.

First, secondaries cause no damage to green ships. Been that way since 2017.

Second, if he had time to do a 180 to hit your torps, they were too close.

Third, mistakes happen. Note why and drive on as a two game pink is nothing. Note why, so you can try to be more careful in the future.

• Cool 3

Members
679 posts

There have been many complaints in the forums about teammates turning into torps, teammates not paying attention to chat warnings that torpedoes have been fired, etc. You are 100% responsible for the torpedoes that you send, from the time you fire them until the time they hit something or run out. It's annoying when you damage you team when you didn't intend to, but you've got to own it. 

• Cool 4

[S-N-D]
Members
3,277 posts
7,658 battles
16 minutes ago, Beowulf1961 said:

Who cares? 

[TARK]
Members
5,232 posts
2,146 battles
6 minutes ago, guns_at_last_light said:

There have been many complaints in the forums about teammates turning into torps, teammates not paying attention to chat warnings that torpedoes have been fired, etc. You are 100% responsible for the torpedoes that you send, from the time you fire them until the time they hit something or run out. It's annoying when you damage you team when you didn't intend to, but you've got to own it. 

Yup.

I owned it when I turned into my friendly Nassau in my Caledon to try to avoid torps.

He rammed me into the torpedoes and kept right on going. Totally my fault for stupid positioning in the first place.

I apologized to him in chat.

Members
485 posts
15,274 battles
14 hours ago, guns_at_last_light said:

If I see an ally fire torps from behind me into the direction I am sailing I will not avoid them. Never fire torpedos from behind your allied ships.

Edited by Hatsuzuki_DD
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 4

Members
11 posts
3,417 battles
5 minutes ago, Hatsuzuki_DD said:

If I see an ally fire torps from behind me into the direction I am sailing I will purposely run into them. Never fire torpedos from behind your allied ships.

Duh how dumb are you if you don't know that east and west are to separate directions, in opposite directions ie. going away from one another.

Members
11 posts
3,417 battles
2 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

First, secondaries cause no damage to green ships. Been that way since 2017.

Second, if he had time to do a 180 to hit your torps, they were too close.

Third, mistakes happen. Note why and drive on as a two game pink is nothing. Note why, so you can try to be more careful in the future.

[edited], getting grief for someone else's lack of situational awareness even after you warn them that torps are in the water don't turn back that's just their stupidity and I'm not apologizing for that. 

• Meh 5

Members
11 posts
3,417 battles
2 hours ago, guns_at_last_light said:

BUT, I'm not responsible for someone else's stupidity, lack of situational awareness. One  I don;t fire torpedoes from behind my team mates if they are going in the same direction. Two if I see them turn around after I fire torpedoes and come back in my direction I warn them that they are going to run into my torpedoes if they continue. Some of the DD's I've sunk have torpedo ranges 4k or longer than my cruiser.

• Meh 2

[PVE]
Members
19,836 posts
12,005 battles
10 minutes ago, Beowulf1961 said:

[edited], getting grief for someone else's lack of situational awareness even after you warn them that torps are in the water don't turn back that's just their stupidity and I'm not apologizing for that. 

Then I predict you will be going pink a lot. Your ordnance, your responsibility to not hit people with it. We understand mistakes. The "I think I can squeeze this shot in" times. We all do it. But when it doesn't work, it's our fault.

Note, going pink everyone once in a while is no big thing. Go pink too much, too fast and you will go orange and be restricted to co-op. Keep on with the TK while orange and a temp ban would be in your future. Pink is a warning, orange is a penalty.

The game is supposed to be 12 greens vs 12 reds. Not 11 greens vs 12 reds and one green.

5 minutes ago, Beowulf1961 said:

BUT, I'm not responsible for someone else's stupidity, lack of situational awareness. One  I don;t fire torpedoes from behind my team mates if they are going in the same direction. Two if I see them turn around after I fire torpedoes and come back in my direction I warn them that they are going to run into my torpedoes if they continue. Some of the DD's I've sunk have torpedo ranges 4k or longer than my cruiser.

If they have time to turn around and run into your torps, you fired them too close to an friend. You will find very little sympathy here and none from WG. The official rule is you fired it, you are responsible for it..

Edited by Kizarvexis
sorry talking while typing and did the wrong word
  • Cool 2

[WOLF6]
Members
401 posts
3,279 battles
21 minutes ago, Hatsuzuki_DD said:

If I see an ally fire torps from behind me into the direction I am sailing I will purposely run into them. Never fire torpedos from behind your allied ships.

Admitting you are a griefer that intentionally sabotages your team on a public forum is a bold move, Cotton.

Members
485 posts
15,274 battles
7 hours ago, ZoomieG said:

Admitting you are a griefer that intentionally sabotages your team on a public forum is a bold move, Cotton.

Can it really be griefing?  If someone is careless enough to fire torps from behind their allies they deserve any retribution they get. If that means me running into their torps to teach them a lesson, then so be it.

[INTEL]
Members
12,347 posts
34,282 battles
7 hours ago, Beowulf1961 said:

How many of us have to say it? Once you put torps in the water, you own what happens to them. Your teammates cannot have their movement constrained by your poor choices, nor have their attention burdened by the selfishness of teammates. 

Just apologize, send the dude a compliment, and move on. 

[5IN]
Members
53 posts
4,607 battles

My favorites are the people that want to cuddle.  Sitting in your own smoke firing guns, waiting on torps, and suddenly you get friendly fire warnings because someone's run their ship alongside, blocking you from firing or launching torpedoes.  Your only recourse is to abandon your smoke and try to get away from them.

It also happens with BB's, if you're not moving fast enough, a cruiser can slide in and your next volley will go through their superstructure if you're not watching for it.  

I don't know what the purpose of doing that is, maybe those people are cold.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[INTEL]
Members
12,347 posts
34,282 battles
1 minute ago, JaxTek said:

My favorites are the people that want to cuddle.  Sitting in your own smoke firing guns, waiting on torps, and suddenly you get friendly fire warnings because someone's run their ship alongside, blocking you from firing or launching torpedoes.  Your only recourse is to abandon your smoke and try to get away from them.

It also happens with BB's, if you're not moving fast enough, a cruiser can slide in and your next volley will go through their superstructure if you're not watching for it.  

I don't know what the purpose of doing that is, maybe those people are cold.

Naw, people just get tunneled.

Members
69 posts
53 battles

Grief system works fine, it’s called CV play.... and it’s allowed :cap_cool:

I love ruining DD players evening when I’m in a grumpy mood :cap_rambo:

• Meh 1

[FML]
Members
3,656 posts
14,584 battles
9 hours ago, Beowulf1961 said:

As others have clearly stated, the etiquette in this game is that you are responsible for your ordinance at all times.  If your torps hit a friendly, it is 100% your fault. 

Imagine yourself in the shoes of your teammate.  You are busy watching the battleships that are turning their turrets towards you, trying to work out when they are firing.  You are watching your target - a fast, agile destroyer - and its erratic movements whilst also watching your shots land, and trying to correct.  You are snatching glimpses of the minimap to see whehter you are blundering into the entire enemy team or whether you're out in the open. Then you see the torpedo warning indicator light up  from behind you

It is unreasonable to expect a player to look both behind and infront of them at the same time, particularly in the heat of battle.  They should only need to face forward, watching the enemy, and not worry about their teammates behind them too. 

Be a danger to your enemies, not your team. 

And until you learn how to do this, keep getting downvoted, keep getting pinked, keep losing as your team will be a ship or two down than otherwise, the world will not change for you.  

• Cool 1

[USMC_]
Members
1,660 posts
11 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Yup.

I owned it when I turned into my friendly Nassau in my Caledon to try to avoid torps.

He rammed me into the torpedoes and kept right on going. Totally my fault for stupid positioning in the first place.

I apologized to him in chat.

That is being a meat shield and I am sure he appreciated your efficiency!!

[TDRB]
Members
4,436 posts
12,602 battles
12 hours ago, Beowulf1961 said:

If you are getting a pink warning for secondaries hitting a sunken ship you need to make a complaint with a replay. This is important to do because there may be a glitch in the game code that needs to be corrected by WG.

Since you do have a recourse to report such incidents the grief system is not broken.

The rule is your ordnance your responsibility. Again, nothing broke here. Ships, especially DD's, do stop, start, dart one way or another and do 180's, even 360's as they fight the enemy. 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
1,212 posts
16,540 battles

If an enemy you weren't aiming at does a 180 after you launch and gets sunk by your torps, do you expect to be credited with the damage and the kill?

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
6,225 posts
14,399 battles
9 hours ago, Beowulf1961 said:

What I am hearing from you, is that your team mates are supposed to have situational awareness of what you are doing, but you are not requiring yourself to have situational awareness of what they are doing.

If they can "turn around and run into your torpedoes", they are in front of you.  They are closer to the enemy than you are.  They may need all the maneuvering space available to avoid the fire they are looking for and are supposed to be dodging.  If you are complicating things for them by launching torpedoes in their direction, that is a YOU problem, not a THEM problem.

If you are going east and they are going west and you launch torpedoes into them...didn't you mention 'situational awareness'?  If you don't see them, how can you expect them to see you?  Plus, YOU know you are about to launch torpedoes, THEY don't.  Before you do it, it is on YOU to check your surroundings first.

"I warned them."  Not good enough.  If I am on the front line fighting the red ships, I may have my hands full fighting the red ships.  Maneuvering, checking for islands, incoming red torpedoes, watching where the reds' guns are pointed, checking my ranges, monitoring my consumables, firing my guns, launching my torpedoes...all of these come before looking at chat.  I shouldn't have to worry about green torpedoes coming at me from behind me.  My team mates aren't supposed to be firing at me, the reds are.

• Cool 3

[PVE]
Members
19,836 posts
12,005 battles
4 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

What I am hearing from you, is that your team mates are supposed to have situational awareness of what you are doing, but you are not requiring yourself to have situational awareness of what they are doing.

If they can "turn around and run into your torpedoes", they are in front of you.  They are closer to the enemy than you are.  They may need all the maneuvering space available to avoid the fire they are looking for and are supposed to be dodging.  If you are complicating things for them by launching torpedoes in their direction, that is a YOU problem, not a THEM problem.

If you are going east and they are going west and you launch torpedoes into them...didn't you mention 'situational awareness'?  If you don't see them, how can you expect them to see you?  Plus, YOU know you are about to launch torpedoes, THEY don't.  Before you do it, it is on YOU to check your surroundings first.

"I warned them."  Not good enough.  If I am on the front line fighting the red ships, I may have my hands full fighting the red ships.  Maneuvering, checking for islands, incoming red torpedoes, watching where the reds' guns are pointed, checking my ranges, monitoring my consumables, firing my guns, launching my torpedoes...all of these come before looking at chat.  I shouldn't have to worry about green torpedoes coming at me from behind me.  My team mates aren't supposed to be firing at me, the reds are.

Well said :Smile_honoring:

Beta Testers
1,631 posts
10,535 battles
3 hours ago, Hatsuzuki_DD said:

Can it really be griefing?  If someone is careless enough to fire torps from behind their allies they deserve any retribution they get. If that means me running into their torps to teach them a lesson, then so be it.

Yeah, it's griefing.

Members
485 posts
15,274 battles
36 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Agreed. But im getting flak for saying I will run into torps if they are fired from behind me into the direction Im going.