You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Burnsy

Little things that took you a while to notice

14 comments in this topic

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,622 posts

I just noticed that if you look close at the exhaust ports on the Audacious's planes while they are flying, you can see a flash every few seconds, as if there are really pistons in there firing.  Pretty neat detail.

Got me to wondering what else I have missed so I figured I would ask. 

What are some maybe little known details on various ships?

• Cool 1

[WLDD]
Members
119 posts
5,944 battles

Some of the AAA details on many of the ships...twin vs quad mounts, and such.  I tend to pay more attention to the details on ships I've been on (3" mounts on DM/Salem, 40mm on NC, etc)

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,195 posts
14,184 battles
3 minutes ago, Meeso_Thorny said:

The main battery director turns to follow the main turrets (or vice versa), at least on Richelieu

They all do that, that have the traversing directors. I noted that too, pretty cool. Actually I have learned a couple things about the ships WG put in the game. I would see something and think, "No, that's incorrect, that is not the way it was designed." I would check, and WG was correct lol. They pay attention to the ships. Very well done and kudos to WG.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776
  • Cool 1

Members
1,027 posts
6,184 battles
25 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

I just noticed that if you look close at the exhaust ports on the Audacious's planes while they are flying, you can see a flash every few seconds, as if there are really pistons in there firing.  Pretty neat detail.

Got me to wondering what else I have missed so I figured I would ask. 

What are some maybe little known details on various ships?

I really wouldn't know what I was looking for as I know more about Land Campaigns and equipment, goes along with my days of table top gaming I guess, that and most of my family and I served in the Army or Air Force.

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,084 posts
4,442 battles

Park benches on my French BigBotes

Edited by _1204_

[5D2]
Supertester
2,311 posts
22,741 battles

All the flaps move on the planes and some have dive flaps. 

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
73 posts
5,414 battles
14 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

Deck chairs?

Members
308 posts
1,877 battles
49 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

REFIT RICHELIEU HAS NO PARK BENCH AND I AM VERY UPSET ABOUT IT

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,622 posts
39 minutes ago, Meeso_Thorny said:

REFIT RICHELIEU HAS NO PARK BENCH AND I AM VERY UPSET ABOUT IT

I never even noticed it but now I see it :cap_haloween:

[KAPPA]
Members
1,326 posts
7,229 battles

One thing I've always wondered is just what are the chains on the bow of the October Revolution for? Looking at the model in a viewer where I can see the whole ship, it almost looks like they support the bow in some way, but that sounds a tad silly for a BB to have it's bow held on by chains. Looking at the models for the upcoming Russian BBs, a few of them also have the same feature. Gotta wonder just what it is for.

Similarly, I've noticed some guns mounted to a couple of ships and I can find no reference to them, nor do they do anything in game. Roma has a set of such guns mounted amidships under the 90mm AA mounts and Missouri also has a set of guns mounted amidships in the superstructure. I know about the practice guns mounted on Fuso, Dunkerque, Richelieu, Gascone, Jean Bart, and some others, but these don't fit that bill. My best guess is signalling guns, but they seem a tad large for that purpose, at least on Roma for sure. It's another case of 'I don't know what it does, therefore I must find out', which is something I'm very prone to.

[RDDTX]
Alpha Tester
256 posts
8,682 battles
4 hours ago, CaptHarlock_222 said:

Similarly, I've noticed some guns mounted to a couple of ships and I can find no reference to them, nor do they do anything in game. Roma has a set of such guns mounted amidships under the 90mm AA mounts and Missouri also has a set of guns mounted amidships in the superstructure. I know about the practice guns mounted on Fuso, Dunkerque, Richelieu, Gascone, Jean Bart, and some others, but these don't fit that bill. My best guess is signalling guns, but they seem a tad large for that purpose, at least on Roma for sure. It's another case of 'I don't know what it does, therefore I must find out', which is something I'm very prone to.

Roma's are smoke and flare firing guns, never noticed the one on Missouri. 

German BBs often have spare or practice breechblocks for the 105mm AA guns around the X turret barbette. Roma also used to have a car and truck on board but I think it's removed now.

[ALL41]
Members
510 posts
12,696 battles

At the beginning of the game, on some of the more sunny maps, you can see the rudder, prop shafts, and propellers under the boat.     When the game starts, you can actually watch the props start to spin, churning the water until you can no longer see through the froth.    

[SNIPR]
Beta Testers
485 posts
4,576 battles

If you look closely enough you can see torpedoes splashing down into the water,  Both air dropped and ship board torpedoes do this.  (its alot harder to see the ship ones now though or you might only be able to see your own nowadays.)