You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Donutz

More premium CVs??

31 comments in this topic

[LOPAN]
Members
13 posts

Yes, right now there is an over abundance of CVs in the game, but would it be interesting to add other premium carriers from nations that did not have many?  Germany only had a few carriers commissioned and as a result, we only have one in game as of now.  Italy had the Aquila and France had the Joffre and the Bearn.  The Aquila and Bearn were similar in tonnage to the Graf Zeppelin and would probably fit in at tier 8, while the Joffre seems like a good tier 6 fit.  For those CV mains, casual CV players, or collectors, would this be something you would like to see to add a little more variety?  

• Cool 3

[SYN]
Members
15,664 posts
12,778 battles

y...no

• Meh 1

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,057 posts
5,702 battles

Overabundance?  There's only 4 premium ones ?     and its the least played class of all?   I'm confused. 

[RLGN]
Members
13,486 posts
23,534 battles

Baern from France, Aquila from Italy, then a Brit retread in a South American tree.

[LOPAN]
Members
13 posts

I mean overall there are more CVs being played and those CV haters may not want to see more introduced.  Just wanted to know if their was interest in other nations only having one premium CV instead of a whole researchable line.

[SIM]
Members
4,664 posts
7,770 battles

Currently we have Enterprise, Saipan, Kaga, and Graf Zeppelin, with HMS Indomitable on the distant horizon. While it’s likely that we’ll see some other premium carriers in the future, it won’t be any time soon. That said, I’d certainly welcome them, when they arrive.  

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
25,163 posts
22,173 battles
7 minutes ago, Captain_Donutz said:

Yes, right now there is an over abundance of CVs in the game, but would it be interesting to add other premium carriers from nations that did not have many?  Germany only had a few carriers commissioned and as a result, we only have one in game as of now.  Italy had the Aquila and France had the Joffre and the Bearn.  The Aquila and Bearn were similar in tonnage to the Graf Zeppelin and would probably fit in at tier 8, while the Joffre seems like a good tier 6 fit.  For those CV mains, casual CV players, or collectors, would this be something you would like to see to add a little more variety?  

giphy.gif

Brother, the Germans did not commission and put into action any Carriers during WWII, much less "had a few carriers commissioned."

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[LOPAN]
Members
13 posts
2 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

giphy.gif

Brother, the Germans did not commission and put into action any Carriers during WWII, much less "had a few carriers commissioned."

My mistake.  I saw they had the plans for others and didn't finish them.  Not like we don't have that in game as well.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,503 posts

Let us darken the skies!

Kidding....  Maybe :). 

I would be happy to see ongoing CV options in the future.

I was watching a WG stream and I asked if they would ever consider CVs for steel.  They said that is certainly something that they will be considering.

[SYN]
Members
15,664 posts
12,778 battles

I would only agree to more premium CVs by allowing a 12CV vs 12CV match to be possible

[NUWES]
Members
2,911 posts
9,606 battles
45 minutes ago, Captain_Donutz said:

It wouldn't surprise me to see some of those, but Bearn is not a T8 CV. It was a very primitive first generation carrier. France's equivalent of Langley, Hosho, and Hermes except they used a BB hull instead of a collier so it was bigger although no more capable. Gamwise it probably would have been a T5 before they got eliminated. It is charitably a T6 now.

Aquila is harder to tell. It is more advanced than a 1st gen carrier, but really would not have been the equivalent of Lexington or Shokaku. That being said they handwaved GZ into T8 so they certainly could do so with Aquila. Joffre is one I really would like to see. That was a much more modern design and could be doable at T8 with similar handwaving. I suspect we won't see anytime soon though. Also, more famous CVs like Akagi, Ark Royal, Wasp and Hornet are probably better choices for premiums. The deleted odd-tier CVs will probably also re-appear in their re-tiered forms before they make any new ones. 

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,503 posts
21 minutes ago, WuYixiang said:

My votes:

HMS Ark Royal

IJN Akagi

Wasn't the Ark Royal an Audacious class?

[INR]
Members
1,225 posts
4,060 battles
4 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Wasn't the Ark Royal an Audacious class?

We've had sister premiums (Gneisenau/Scharnhorst, Warspite/Queen Elizabeth, etc) before. Besides, I think Ark Royal was a one-off design. The name was recycled for one of the Audacious-class, though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Ark_Royal_(91)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Ark_Royal_(R09)

Edited by WuYixiang

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,284 posts
13,851 battles

Bearn should probably be a tech tree ship as they could make a full four ship tree without too much paper for the French.

Germany and Italy never got a CV into service during the period covered by the game so premium is the way to go with them as they did try to build them. The Italians would best be served with the Aquila as she was much closer to completion than the Sparviero

[WOLF8]
Members
6,828 posts
5,950 battles
31 minutes ago, WuYixiang said:

My votes:

HMS Ark Royal

IJN Akagi

And my vote is:

HMS Unicorn

HMS Illustrious 

HMS Victorious

[WOLFC]
Members
685 posts
24,973 battles
40 minutes ago, WuYixiang said:

The name was recycled for one of the Audacious-class, though.

I believe you are correct. The one-off Ark Royal would be the odd man out among Royal Navy CVs because she didn't have an armoured deck.

[INR]
Members
1,225 posts
4,060 battles
3 minutes ago, Rumple010 said:

I believe you are correct. The one-off Ark Royal would be the odd man out among Royal Navy CVs because she didn't have an armoured deck.

Hence Premium status! Odd ducks are fun.

[BWN]
Members
37 posts
2,660 battles

Don't forget the drawn up carrier conversions for the Iowas, Alaskas, ect.....also Shinano (like Georgia...who admitting had different guns) was  in beta so why not bring her back. Also the "battle carrier" Jean Bart with the main battery being treated as secondaries ( or you know....the wows blits treatment where carriers and Ise can directly control the secondary and main battery respectivly)

[WOLF3]
Members
25,163 posts
22,173 battles

There is still the matter of the old "Odd Tier Carriers" that were pulled from the game during the CV Rework.

V Bogue &  Zuiho

VI Independence - Got pulled and VII Ranger took her spot in Tier VI.

VII Hiryu - The workhorse and traditional Tier VII Ranked star

IX Essex & Taiho - Latter is an Armored Flight Deck CV.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF7]
Members
5,123 posts
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

giphy.gif

Let's not confuse the OP with the facts...:Smile_coin:

[KAPPA]
Members
2,809 posts
7,562 battles
12 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

There is still the matter of the old "Odd Tier Carriers" that were pulled from the game during the CV Rework.

V Bogue &  Zuiho

VI Independence - Got pulled and VII Ranger took her spot in Tier VI.

VII Hiryu - The workhorse and traditional Tier VII Ranked star

IX Essex & Taiho - Latter is an Armored Flight Deck CV.

Those are already going to become an alternate CV line from what I remember hearing back before the rework.