Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MrDeaf

DFAA needs a rework too...

15 comments in this topic

[SYN]
Members
15,693 posts
12,778 battles

But I actually have suggestions to make.

As I see it, there are a 4 categories of ships that need a DFAA rework

1. "AA Porcupine" ships that got their AA heavily nerfed after CV rework, due to various issues. This includes ships like Atlanta, Hood, Texas
  2. "AA Porcupine" ships that do okay, but require MFCAA to be able to work decently enough. i.e. Sims, Kidd, most of the USN cruiser line
  3. "Garbage AA" ships that really only worked in a CV match, because they had DFAA to scatter bomb drops. This includes ships like Abruzzi, d'Aosta, Molotov, Atago, Kronstadt and Stalingrad
  4. "Garbage AA" ships, that never really worked before the CV rework and sure as hell don't work now. i.e. Fuso, Normandie, Roma, Musashi, Ashitaka, Nelson

Fixes for Category 1

• Atlanta, Hood: make the DFAA scatter
  • Texas: Add DFAA, make it scatter

Fixes for Category 2

• Make the MFCAA skill a 2pts or 3pts skill
  • Since the DFAA for DDs is already 200%, double of CA/CL/BB, I think they can keep it this way, as in it doesn't scatter
  • Make USN CL/CA DFAA only work at 75% boost, HOWEVER also make it so their DFAA cooldown is much shorter, and also make it scatter

Fixes for Category 3

• Make the DFAA scatter, but also make it so that their DFAA calls in a fighter squadron. Call it the DFAA+Fighter consumable

Fixes for Category 4

• At the very least, give them a fighter consumable so they can defend themselves
  • Also make the fighter consumable have a far shorter cooldown
  • Make it so that the fighter does the old behaviour of scattering drops, rather than strafing the bombers to shreds
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,151 posts
7,357 battles
42 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

1. "AA Porcupine" ships that got their AA heavily nerfed after CV rework, due to various issues. This includes ships like Atlanta, Hood, Texas
  2. "AA Porcupine" ships that do okay, but require MFCAA to be able to work decently enough. i.e. Sims, Kidd, most of the USN cruiser line
  3. "Garbage AA" ships that really only worked in a CV match, because they had DFAA to scatter bomb drops. This includes ships like Abruzzi, d'Aosta, Molotov, Atago, Kronstadt and Stalingrad
  4. "Garbage AA" ships, that never really worked before the CV rework and sure as hell don't work now. i.e. Fuso, Normandie, Roma, Musashi, Ashitaka, Nelson

Fixes for Category 1

Fixes for Category 2

• Since the DFAA for DDs is already 200%, double of CA/CL/BB, I think they can keep it this way, as in it doesn't scatter
  • Make USN CL/CA DFAA only work at 75% boost, HOWEVER also make it so their DFAA cooldown is much shorter, and also make it scatter

Fixes for Category 3

• Make the DFAA scatter, but also make it so that their DFAA calls in a fighter squadron. Call it the DFAA+Fighter consumable

Fixes for Category 4

• At the very least, give them a fighter consumable so they can defend themselves
  • Make it so that the fighter does the old behaviour of scattering drops, rather than strafing the bombers to shreds

You left out the DD's who sorely need it now when the ones that carried it were so effective at getting CV's to leave them alone.

[PEEDZ]
Members
978 posts
7,820 battles

well i mean why just stop at that? make a button so that as soon as you hit it, the planes vanish in a puff of smoke. no need for all the mechanics of scatter

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
15,693 posts
12,778 battles
36 minutes ago, misanthrope0 said:

You left out the DD's who sorely need it now when the ones that carried it were so effective at getting CV's to leave them alone.

Isn't that Category 2?

If you put MFCAA on AA DDs, they actually do pretty well currently

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,151 posts
7,357 battles
15 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

Isn't that Category 2?

If you put MFCAA on AA DDs, they actually do pretty well currently

Not compared to what they did before. A CV would not get anywhere near my Kidd, Fletcher and Gearing if they were smart.

[SOFOP]
Members
2,245 posts
13,403 battles

Id be happy if it changed based on whether there was a CV in the game because right now, there isn't much point running it unless you div with a CV.  If a CV is in, AA buff.  If not, some other bonus.

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,151 posts
7,357 battles
32 minutes ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

Getting rid of the scatter mechanic of DFAA was one of the worst decisions of the rework.

Yep!!!

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,503 posts
14,140 battles

I'd certainly agree on the weak AA but DFAA category 3 ships.

D'Aosta was a bad ship before the rework. Now? Now she gets 89 DPS mid-range (long is even worse, 30 and just from 3.5 to 4.6km...) which doubles to a mighty 178! At 81% hit chance that's 144 DPS.

Same tier Ryujo planes have from about 1,070 to 1,247 HP each. A squadron of the fighters has 8,560 HP. Your DFAA mid-range will require 59s to wipe them out, or at least 7 seconds to do enough DPS for one kill. Oh, you still get to see T8 carriers with 2,000+ HP per plane on some aircraft with upgrades. Genius.

Given in-game speeds it makes virtually no difference at all. Doubling flak damage when it's a single puff at long range? Wow...

In comparison to the scattering effect, the DPS buff is worthless. I'd honestly rather have the option to take a catapult fighter.

[INR]
Members
1,225 posts
4,060 battles
1 minute ago, mofton said:

In comparison to the scattering effect, the DPS buff is worthless. I'd honestly rather have the option to take a catapult fighter.

I don't think I've run DFAA past the first week of 0.8.0. Hydroacoustic Search is just more useful for CAs without powerful AA thanks to the lack of panic. The catapult fighter is oddly satisfying, though.

[KIA-A]
Beta Testers
3,393 posts
5,640 battles

DFAA needs scatter.

MF should probably cost less because currently i think its overcosted as a t4 skill.

[PVE]
Members
19,836 posts
12,005 battles
2 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

The 28mm AA guns that used to be mid range AA got moved to short range, so the Atlanta has all of those 127mm AA guns covering the mid range now. This happened since 8.0, to try and make Atlanta better.

Texas lost out on the AFT range buff and the AAGM1 range buff that made the Mk22 76.2mm AA guns so good. The Mk33 76.2mm AA on DM and Salem have a 4km range,while the Mk22 76.2mm (Texas) has a 3.5km range. The Mk7 & Mk10 76.2 on T4 and below have a 3km range.

2 hours ago, MrDeaf said:
  1. "AA Porcupine" ships that do okay, but require MFCAA to be able to work decently enough. i.e. Sims, Kidd, most of the USN cruiser line
  2. "Garbage AA" ships that really only worked in a CV match, because they had DFAA to scatter bomb drops. This includes ships like Abruzzi, d'Aosta, Molotov, Atago, Kronstadt and Stalingrad
  3. "Garbage AA" ships, that never really worked before the CV rework and sure as hell don't work now. i.e. Fuso, Normandie, Roma, Musashi, Ashitaka, Nelson

Fixes for Category 1

Fixes for Category 2

Fixes for Category 3

Fixes for Category 4

I would like to see this for a MCFAA change. It buffs the priority sector by +20%, but doesn't nerf the other sector. Very likely to not happen for balance reasons.

An upgrade for the fighter comsumable, like the spotter upgrade would buff the active time of the fighters. So say 25%-50% time. That would make the fighter active time 75 to 90 seconds instead of the current 60 seconds. It would go in slot 1 like the special Spotter consumable.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,409 posts
10,956 battles

how would shattering work now that planes are manually flown and aimed though? would it just make getting a accurate drop more difficult? ie, it makes the target  reticle shrink slower? if so, then that makes sense

Edited by tcbaker777

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,537 posts
2,278 battles
52 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

how would shattering work now that planes are manually flown and aimed though? would it just make getting a accurate drop more difficult? ie, it makes the target  reticle shrink slower? if so, then that makes sense

Make the target reticle bigger, and perhaps an increase in drop dispersion rng.

[SYN]
Members
15,693 posts
12,778 battles
1 hour ago, tcbaker777 said:

I think DFAA can have its flavors, depending on the line

Making the reticle shrink slower is one

Making the bombers spread out in a wider formation is another

Making bombers have much worse steering input while inside the DFAA bubble can be yet another, which can delay the 2nd and third drop, as it slows down their turn.

Sign in to follow this