You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JediMasterDraco

My Latest Conspiracy Theory

13 comments in this topic

[NGA]
Members
1,970 posts
10,571 battles

It seems odd to me that Russian BBs keep getting nerfed. Given that battleships are typically regarded as the most powerful type of ship and Russian ships have a reputation for being OP (or flat out giving the middle finger to the laws of physics like Khab), I don't think anyone would've been that surprised if Russian BBs were strong (even OP). Irritated sure, but not too surprised. When they were announced, I was rather taken aback by the fact that almost universally, Russian BBs had longer than usual reloads and their gun velocity seemed rather anemic (not to mention the Oct Rev's DC). I was further surprised as they have been nerfed a couple times. On some ships, this made sense, such as the Gangut (tier IV) and Pyotr Velikiy (tier V) since both had only limited amounts of armor plating within normal BB range with much of their plating being 38mm and I thought this was a rather interesting idea, give them so-so guns, but turn it around by giving them potent armor (if nothing else, people will play the two I mentioned to get away from HE spam). However that proved to not be the case as subsequent members of the line have more typical plating. This lead me to having two theories:

1) Russian BBs have excellent penetration values/improved auto-bounce/accuracy that could turn a Stalingrad green.

2) (my conspiracy theory) They're making them so weak that with the updates that follow the release, they'll use outcry from a certain faction of the playerbase to justify buffing them into the wonder weapons they always hoped they would be.

So, anyone think this could be true, or should I go back on my meds?

• Cool 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,302 posts
6,266 battles

I'm not going to put on my tinfoil hat just yet, but it wouldn't surprise me given WG's track record with balancing Russian equipment.

Come to think of it, as far as I can remember Warplanes is the only one of the trio where I don't recall hearing "Russian Bias" at all. Though to be fair it's hard to hear anything over there besides crickets.

[NGA]
Members
1,970 posts
10,571 battles
1 minute ago, Landsraad said:

I'm not going to put on my tinfoil hat just yet, but it wouldn't surprise me given WG's track record with balancing Russian equipment.

Come to think of it, as far as I can remember Warplanes is the only one of the trio where I don't recall hearing "Russian Bias" at all. Though to be fair it's hard to hear anything over there besides crickets.

And also to be fair, Russia really did have excellent armored units (T-34 is typically regarded as the best tank of WWII). it just gets a little egregious IMO given that Russia's fleet had the lowest priority of the three branches (understandable given that they were fighting the Germans along a huge front and needed all the ground and air forces they could get and Germany's surface fleet was well in hand and the U-boat menace would pretty much be neutralized by late '43).

[CVLOV]
Beta Testers
3,640 posts
2,633 battles

IMHO the best "buff" they could give any BB in the game right now is innate fire resistance.
You give a BB that and relatively good armor (ie: not German's) and you easily end up with an op ship even with badd-ish sigma, low agility and other weak "major stats"

f they want to buff them without resorting to the usual stat tweaks, fire resistance is where it's at (and better DCP too).

[SOUP]
Modder, Supertester
8,724 posts

I'd wait to see some more data on them, right now it could twist any direction

[NGA]
Members
1,970 posts
10,571 battles
1 minute ago, Francois424 said:

IMHO the best "buff" they could give any BB in the game right now is innate fire resistance.
You give a BB that and relatively good armor (ie: not German's) and you easily end up with an op ship even with badd-ish sigma, low agility and other weak "major stats"

f they want to buff them without resorting to the usual stat tweaks, fire resistance is where it's at (and better DCP too).

And the interesting thing about that is that such a value probably wouldn't be discovered without looking deep into the game's files and could go undetected for some time.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,683 posts
4,602 battles
5 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Meds.

conspiracy.jpg.8a262c1ed7164ab82c62e9b9bccc01eb.jpg

Members
3,370 posts
12,118 battles
5 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Meds.

conspiracy.jpg.8a262c1ed7164ab82c62e9b9bccc01eb.jpg

Lol, that poor cat. 

"Wth, hooman?"

Edited by Octavian_of_Roma
  • Funny 2

[WOLF6]
Members
402 posts
3,286 battles
9 hours ago, JediMasterDraco said:

It seems odd to me that Russian BBs keep getting nerfed.

It honestly sounds like you haven't actually been following the development testing very closely.  Look up youtube videos or twitch streams of people testing them.  Both Flamu and Flambass have some good stuff up, to name just a few.

Not everything was nerfs, either.  The T6 or 7 got an armor buff.  The nerfs that have occurred were valid.  A couple of the low tier ships were nearly immune to AP when angled, and completely immune to cruiser caliber HE.  Accuracy across the board was also too good.

Members
132 posts
5,101 battles
14 hours ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

Lol, that poor cat. 

"Wth, hooman?"

IKR? The expression on the cat's face is priceless. :Smile_veryhappy:

[KIA-A]
Beta Testers
3,393 posts
5,640 battles
14 hours ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Russian ships have a reputation for being OP

no the player base has a reputation for being biased and terrible at the game.

[KRAB]
Members
888 posts
7,326 battles

The problem is that Russian BBs have a non-linear dispersion curve which completely disrupts their performance at close and medium ranges. The curve they use has a very large effect at low/mid tiers (where engagement ranges are shorter) and creates an exploitable mechanic at all tiers which simply does not exist for other battleships.

They are not necessarily overpowered all the time, but difficult to balance due to their unusual performance characteristics.  The T10 is a great example of this - at 8-10km it can wreck anything with its dispersion and alpha strike, but since it has an exposed citadel it can also be devstruck at this range while a GK or Republique would just get chunked for 20k. 

[WOLF6]
Members
402 posts
3,286 battles
1 hour ago, MaxL_1023 said:

The problem is that Russian BBs have a non-linear dispersion curve which completely disrupts their performance at close and medium ranges. The curve they use has a very large effect at low/mid tiers (where engagement ranges are shorter) and creates an exploitable mechanic at all tiers which simply does not exist for other battleships.

Minor point: All the dispersion curves are linear, including the Ru BBs.  The slope for the Ru BB tech tree line is just steeper.

Source