You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
awesomeartichokes

PSA: Do not expect the Mac client to work, save your money/time

50 comments in this topic

[FFG33]
Supertester
475 posts
16,156 battles

TL, DR: To any new Mac players to this forum -- just uninstall and don't bother with WoWs

I have been a (rabid/stupid) player of WoWs for several (too many) years now.

I have tolerated my sh-crap-it PR ranking caused in part by all the Mac client bugs.

I have tolerated the WG Customer Support telling me time and time again... "Mac client is not supported. Suck it up buttercup"

The 0.8.2 client is a new low. 

Last week the pain started. I uninstalled, reattempted on Monday. Continuous crashes. Reinstalled today. The very first game - it crashes again.

Looks like I will be seeing a lot more of the family.

Supposedly, 0.8.3 will be "better" - I suppose that means it will only crash every other game.

I don't remember a single client version that didn't experience midgame crashes. (I did mention I was stupid didn't I).

However, not being able to play a single game that is a new low in indifference.

Oh... and NEWS FLASH

WG: I DID NOT QUIT - YOUR CLIENT CRASHES

328984583_ScreenShot2019-04-12at7_44_52PM.thumb.png.5a2bc5f744146c1bdd3c9dfcf08fe04a.png

Edited by awesomeartichokes
  • Cool 5
  • Boring 2

[NOBS]
Members
1,121 posts
8,277 battles

My clan lost one of our best and most active members because he can no longer play on his Mac. 

• Cool 2

[FFG33]
Supertester
475 posts
16,156 battles

Played 1 more game to see what would happen... at least I died before the game crashed.

• Cool 1

[FFG33]
Supertester
475 posts
16,156 battles
17 minutes ago, Capt_h2o said:

My clan lost one of our best and most active members because he can no longer play on his Mac. 

Well I won't claim to be 'best' but I try. Can't do anything about the indifference though.

I will probably login just to collect the daily shipment drops. But there is no point in working toward any of the missions.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,771 posts
22,131 battles

I caution my fellow Mac users NOT to spend money on this game since at any time you may not be able to play it any longer. Every single patch weeds out more and more of us so you need to minimize your losses should this happen to you. 

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles

I guess what it comes down to is this.  How much do you love playing WoWS?  If it's not that important to you, then I can see just giving up on it, at least until there's a stable wrapper for MACs.  But if you truly love the game (and have some free cash), may be consider buying an inexpensive PC that meets the game's hardware requirements.  I suppose one might also have to consider whether or not you have the space where you live to set up another PC.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,359 posts
13,879 battles
20 minutes ago, ZoomieG said:

There is a solution for this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468

WoWs is a windows game.  It shouldn't be any surprise that trying to run it on a different OS is other than flawless.

This, while it will cost a few bucks it is the best solution for this game and many other programs you might want to run and it is cheaper than buying a PC just to run a game.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,771 posts
22,131 battles
1 hour ago, ZoomieG said:

WoWs is a windows game.  It shouldn't be any surprise that trying to run it on a different OS is other than flawless.

Actually I find using Wine and the wrapper to be far superior than using Boot Camp (or similar). Windows is just crap and even though I have it installed on my Mac to use for WoWS, I don't bother using it because it is crap. That said, many of the problems Mac users are having is they are using the lesser Macs like iMac and MacBooks. I use a MacPro and just fiddling with setting, have no more issues than what you see commonly complained about in the forums like port lag. A MacPro can be upgraded just like a PC whereas iMacs and MacBooks can not and they really don't ship with decent graphics cards or SSDs. The only thing upgradeable on them is RAM and once that is maxed out, yer done. They do a pretty good job with the wrapper and because of the hardware limitations on some Apple machines, just changing the OS to Windows isn't going to solve anything. 

One thing I would mention to Mac users is to try muting all sounds and see if that helps. I inadvertently solved a crash problem that was prevalent a while back where you had to restart your game after a half dozen matches and OPs were just unplayable. I got tired of the "BATTLE STARTS" nonsense and the very loud explosion when your ship got sunk so played with sound settings to try and turn it down. Even with all sounds lowered to where you could just barely hear your guns firing, those two noises where still obnoxiously loud so out of disgust, just muted everything.... Surprisingly this fixed not just those noises but totally fixed any crashing issues as well as made OPs playable again with zero issues. IIRC, the sound card is mounted on the motherboard so probably can not upgrade them even on my MacPro. Normally I would look into that but find playing the game without sound to be totally enjoyable and very relaxing so am in no rush to change things around. Mac users with crashing issues may give that a whirl and see if it helps. Oddly enough, WoT and WoWP I play with higher graphics and sound enabled and have no problems playing them at all.... The issue is with WoWS, not with the machines. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[FFG33]
Supertester
475 posts
16,156 battles
1 hour ago, Taylor3006 said:

That said, many of the problems Mac users are having is they are using the lesser Macs like iMac and MacBooks.

Try again ...this is a highend computer

884481862_ScreenShot2019-04-13at12_03_34AM.png.35bb4fdd3a45b2fba12273e98d4f2023.png

With SSD drive of course....

I will try with the sound completely disabled.

Edited by awesomeartichokes
  • Cool 1

[NOBS]
Members
1,121 posts
8,277 battles
4 hours ago, Crucis said:

I guess what it comes down to is this.  How much do you love playing WoWS?  If it's not that important to you, then I can see just giving up on it, at least until there's a stable wrapper for MACs.  But if you truly love the game (and have some free cash), may be consider buying an inexpensive PC that meets the game's hardware requirements.  I suppose one might also have to consider whether or not you have the space where you live to set up another PC.

Apples are the most expensive, and many people use them because in many cases the performance is better. To not support them is just stupid by WG. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Meh 1

[ERN]
[ERN]
Members
660 posts
10,786 battles

It just really annoys me that after they released the MAC patch version of the game, with the issues getting out of control, they don't bother fixing the issues with it.

I've been playing this game on a MacBook Pro with an SSD drive since the very beginning, since the first day that WG approved a MAC version of the game and made it available.

For the past few years, issues with the game get worse and worse, and it just pisses me off that after all that I've done, supporting the game, praising it, and giving my all into making it good experience for my fellow players/clan members each time I log on into the game.

After I first downloaded the game a four years ago, it worked fine for the first two years, then things started going wrong. First the crashes in the middle of the match, then crashes while in the match loading menu causing my account to be repeatedly penalized for being AFK, and now, crashes while logging on the game, all while my settings/graphics are on low/off.

It just makes me feel like the MAC version is all but a joke, and I feel that everything I believed about the services in supporting/promoting the game is all but a sick lie. Why would they even create the patch/put out a MAC version of the game if they don't support/care about MAC users?

I hoped that WarGaming would take us MAC users seriously when they first made the game available to us. However now, after all this time, I'm at the crossroads of whether or not I should after all these years, a few days after the anniversary of my joining the WOWS community, I should give up and leave or not. 

I hoped that it wouldn't come to this, but I never thought once in my life that a game would leave me as depressed as I am now.:Smile_sad:

Edited by XXRed_DawnXX
  • Cool 2

[FFG33]
Supertester
475 posts
16,156 battles
11 minutes ago, XXRed_DawnXX said:

For the past few years, issues with the game get worse and worse, and it just pisses me off that after all that I've done, supporting the game, praising it, and giving my all into making it good experience for my fellow players/clan members each time I log on into the game.

I hear you -- I am > $1000 into WoWs game.

It is impossible to enjoy a game when I know that any "good' game will be wrecked by WG indifference to fixing the client. I have had so many tight fights end with my client crashing.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,771 posts
22,131 battles

You know, got to thinking about something else. My MacPro is a early 2009 model and I run El Capitan on it since it won't take Mojave.. I seem to have fewer issues than other Mac users and am thinking maybe that has more to do with it than hardware... Just thinking out loud.. 

• Cool 1

[BNKR]
Members
1,577 posts
2,106 battles
4 hours ago, awesomeartichokes said:

Try again ...this is a highend computer

884481862_ScreenShot2019-04-13at12_03_34AM.png.35bb4fdd3a45b2fba12273e98d4f2023.png

With SSD drive of course....

I will try with the sound completely disabled.

That's a high end Mac? Ouch...

• Funny 4

[WORX]
Members
9,670 posts
17,623 battles

Why not split the HD in half to run windows on a MAC?

I know many have done this and I never heard of any issues so far. Use the WIN portion of your mac to play WOWS. Once you're done, switch back to your APPLE MAC OS.

That is what I recommend

• Cool 1

[KOBK]
Members
1 post
2,068 battles

Just about had enough of this game. I am tired of the freezing and crashing. 

Edited by barret731
I wanted to.

Members
5,127 posts
9,474 battles
2 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Why not split the HD in half to run windows on a MAC?

I know many have done this and I never heard of any issues so far. Use the WIN portion of your mac to play WOWS. Once you're done, switch back to your APPLE MAC OS.

That is what I recommend

For playing a Windows game this is the only solution.  If I remember correctly - a 3rd party does the wrapper and that leads to issues. 

I used to do support/forum moderation for America's Army and they had a 3rd party wrapper for Mac and had the exact same issues.  This will not change when you try to run a game on a different OS that is not designed for gaming (though as a side note - early in the Apple years - it WAS designed for gaming till they gave that up).

Members
1 post
6 hours ago, Capt_h2o said:

Apples are the most expensive, and many people use them because in many cases the performance is better. To not support them is just stupid by WG. 

No ROI. The miniscule Mac user population doesn't justify the resources required. Simple as that.

• Cool 3

Members
5,127 posts
9,474 battles
6 hours ago, Capt_h2o said:

They are better for graphic - 3 rd/video rendering when creating content and the music industry uses them extensively.  They are not as good straight up number crunching and Apple gave up gaming a LONG time ago.  There is not enough people gaming with Mac's to justify Windows and creating a Mac version and keeping them in sync.  The far, far, far better option is to dual boot to play a Windows game.  A PS4 wrapper on an xBox would be silly and play like crap as well - really no different than trying to play a Windows game with a Windows wrapper.  Get a few thousand more Mac players willing to spend some money on a F2P game and maybe it would be worth it for WG.

• Cool 1

[R_N]
[R_N]
Members
129 posts
8,238 battles

awesomeartichokes,

Sorry your having OS conflicts between Mac and Windows along with the fake Window environments you have tried. 

Seeing that WOWS might be the only or MAIN Windows based game you love playing and that you have invested $1000 in to it.

I would recommend making an OzBox pc by picking up a refurbished I5 OEM Windows PC and putting in a desecrate Graphics card all for around $100 - 200 and then just use it for WOWS.

I know it is an additional cost but given your love and investment into WOWS it will pay back in many many hours of issue free fun with the game you love.

Check Oz out at: 

• Cool 2

[FFG33]
Supertester
475 posts
16,156 battles
On 4/13/2019 at 8:17 AM, Elder_Lee said:

awesomeartichokes,

Sorry your having OS conflicts between Mac and Windows along with the fake Window environments you have tried. 

Seeing that WOWS might be the only or MAIN Windows based game you love playing and that you have invested $1000 in to it.

I would recommend making an OzBox pc by picking up a refurbished I5 OEM Windows PC and putting in a desecrate Graphics card all for around $100 - 200 and then just use it for WOWS.

I know it is an additional cost but given your love and investment into WOWS it will pay back in many many hours of issue free fun with the game you love.

I appreciate the sentiment.  I have a bunch of old computers and hard drives stacked up that I need to go through and discard. Adding to that stack is not good for the mess in my den.

If anything, I should cut down on WoWs in general and spend time on other pursuits.

More and more I am deciding that not playing WoWs is probably an o.k. thing. (or at least playing it a lot less)

As a software developer, I just hate seeing a ***** product with crashes. Especially things like "out of memory" or "unhandled" exceptions. 

• Cool 1

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
384 posts
On 4/12/2019 at 11:09 PM, ZoomieG said:

Oh, but Windows crashes as well.  This has been quite an issue for a LOT of players.

[FFG33]
Supertester
475 posts
16,156 battles
29 minutes ago, Ramagar_RoK said:

Oh, but Windows crashes as well.  This has been quite an issue for a LOT of players.

Good? (I think) to know.... @Mr_Conway has said that the client is great and no excuse for AFK which gave me the feeling that Windows client on Windows runs great.