Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Xcalib3r

Which is the best premium T8 CV?

29 comments in this topic

[UEFN]
Members
1,278 posts
21,568 battles

Out of all the premium T8 CV, which one is the most OP now..... from best to worst?

• Meh 2

Members
112 posts
5,567 battles

My thoughts from another poll/thread:

I'm loving 3 of the 4 premiums so far.

Saipan is a tier 8 Midway, but you HAVE to be SUPER careful with her planes.

Enterprise is a beast. Torps are great, HVAR rockets do great work on DDs and light cruisers, AP bombs... well, we can't have everything.

Kaga is SURPRISINGLY my favorite by far. Plane reserves mean I don't have to be AS careful, and I can RACK UP the torp damage. HE bombs are pretty meh, but I'm used to USN HE DBs, so nothing compares.

Now for the bad news.

I was SO looking forward to getting the Graf Zeppelin. She's by far the hardest to rack damage in. 

Torps are the ONLY meaningful damage I can make work, and they've nerfed them into the ground. Like 6 feet under with a cheap tombstone. Have to lead by a mile to make all 3 hit (and that's if the ship doesn't maneuver at all), and even if you get all 3, you get MAYBE 7-8k damage with what feels like about a .0005% chance of flood. 

Rockets do okay damage, but they're slow as balls and drop so few it's hard to be consistent.

AP bombs are insanely hard to land on target, much less at the right spot on a target. Haven't managed a citadel yet.

WG: PLEASE re-evaluate the GZ now that it's released to everyone and not just the unicums/CV devotees of old.

(That said, I did get a secondary kill - though it was a cheesy last hit one - on my second game. :D)

"OP" depends on the player, I think. Saipan is pretty damned good if you can play her correctly.

I'd say it's between Kaga and Enterprise for a balance of potential to hurt people badly without deplaning yourself in 5 minutes.

GZ, unfortunately, is just plain hard to make work (for me).

Edited by TheWhiteRaven
  • Cool 1

Members
783 posts
2 minutes ago, Xcalib3r said:

Out of all the premium T8 CV, which one is the most OP now..... from best to worst?

None are OP. Which is the best is subjective to the person playing them.  All of them have good strengths but all have major weakness too.  I can say all 4 are good cv that can work in any battle, but +2 mm makes it hella hard with ships like wooster and mino in the mix.  T8 CV have to play very wisely or they will get deplaned fast in +2.

[WOLF7]
Members
5,123 posts

I've seen all four be top of different people's list.  Ask 100 people, and get 100 different answers and reasons.

Saipan has high tier planes, but still not good enough to face T10 well, and has slow regen.  Great when top tier. For me, it's still a postwar light carrier.

Enterprise has good regeneration, but has lower tier planes.  AP bombs can be interesting.  And it's Enterprise.

Kaga has tons and tons of planes *on deck*, but they're a bit fragile.  TB are pretty good, but, again, not so great vs T10.

GZ I can't say much yet.

My pick will be Enterprise, unless GZ edges it out, but, others don't like Enterprise.

[SALVO]
Members
24,197 posts
24,546 battles

One downside of the GZ is that there are no other German CVs at the moment.  So, unless you're willing to completely convert a skilled commander from another ship type, you'll have to build up a new captain from scratch (or may sort of, if you have a 6 or 10 point captain sitting in your reserve collecting dust).

Of course, I suppose if you don't play CVs and you guy one of the other tier 8 premium CVs, you'll have the same issue.  But if you do play CVs, then you'll have a carrier captain ready to plop right into your bright shiny new carrier! :cap_cool: :CV:

[ASHIP]
[ASHIP]
Members
88 posts
8,058 battles

The hangover from the old Graf Zep rework during the rts cv days has carried over to the rework, so everytime a Graf topped the charts in a game people screamed it was OP,  and so it has been smashed with the nerf bat a few times, mostly its torpedo planes.  still its a good ship, I like its attack planes the slower speed makes it easier to get hits on DDs.  

[AAA]
Members
1,728 posts
12,715 battles

I think the strongest are the Saipan and kaga. However, I don’t think the enterprise and GZ are that far behind.

[WOLF7]
Members
5,123 posts
48 minutes ago, Crucis said:

One downside of the GZ is that there are no other German CVs at the moment.  So, unless you're willing to completely convert a skilled commander from another ship type, you'll have to build up a new captain from scratch (or may sort of, if you have a 6 or 10 point captain sitting in your reserve collecting dust).

Of course, I suppose if you don't play CVs and you guy one of the other tier 8 premium CVs, you'll have the same issue.  But if you do play CVs, then you'll have a carrier captain ready to plop right into your bright shiny new carrier! :cap_cool: :CV:

That's one thing I never have to worry about.  Between Santa crates, and a couple of good sales, I have 10-point captains to use as raw material for things like this.

[SALVO]
Members
24,197 posts
24,546 battles
53 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

That's one thing I never have to worry about.  Between Santa crates, and a couple of good sales, I have 10-point captains to use as raw material for things like this.

Yeah, I have a few, too.

[UEFN]
Members
1,278 posts
21,568 battles

from what i've read the GZ has been neutered way too much in the rework, in T10 game maybe the Kaga would have higher chance to deal more dmg due to the very well endowed hanger? even the Midway got deplaned very quickly when she try to break a cluster of ships.

[PHASE]
Members
6,258 posts
19,807 battles
1 hour ago, mavfin87 said:

2 hours ago, Crucis said:

I still have enough Emden captains to field a soccer team from 2016 xmas crates.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,161 posts
22,173 battles
1 hour ago, Xcalib3r said:

from what i've read the GZ has been neutered way too much in the rework, in T10 game maybe the Kaga would have higher chance to deal more dmg due to the very well endowed hanger? even the Midway got deplaned very quickly when she try to break a cluster of ships.

The problem with Enterprise and Kaga dealing with Tier X is their lower tier planes get murdered even more quickly than the Tier VIII planes.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,557 posts
4,946 battles

A discussion with @LoveBotetells me that Saipan, when managed correctly, comes out ahead of the others followed by the potato friendly Enterprise and Kaga with GZ coming in last.

I only have Enterprise and Kaga so I can only confirm this assessment in regards to them. The vast hangars can teach you some bad habits though. 

Edited by Sumseaman

[SALVO]
Members
24,197 posts
24,546 battles
21 minutes ago, Sumseaman said:

A discussion with @LoveBotetells me that Saipan, when managed correctly, comes out ahead of the others followed by the potato friendly Enterprise and Kaga with GZ coming in last.

I only have Enterprise and Kaga so I can only confirm this assessment in regards to them. The vast hangars can teach you some bad habits though. 

The Saipan can be quite good.  But because its attack planes use the Tiny Tim rockets, they are rather weak against DDs.  Tiny Tims vs the smaller, more numerous rockets is like a 6 gun BB compared to a 12 gun BB.  If a Tiny Tim hits, it will hurt.  *IF* it hits.  I've gotten to the point in my Saipan that if I want to go after a DD, I'd rather use DBs than rocket planes.

Members
184 posts
15,391 battles

Only have the GZ, but as others have mentioned, she's terrible now. Fragile planes with nerfed everything. Low damage torps with low flood% (and decreased flood damage because of that rework) along with long aim time, few rockets with long aim time and so-so dispersion, and AP bombs that are... fine? I mean you don't get DoT and can't effectively damage dds or most US BBs and your planes die more than most because the planes' short bomb run means the "attacking damage reduction" only applies after you've flown through 3km of flak.

The rework means she can't even brawl amusingly anymore since you can't control repair and lost sonar and can't drive the ship effectively.

0 posts
7 hours ago, Sumseaman said:

7 hours ago, Crucis said:

The Saipan can be quite good.  But because its attack planes use the Tiny Tim rockets, they are rather weak against DDs.  Tiny Tims vs the smaller, more numerous rockets is like a 6 gun BB compared to a 12 gun BB.  If a Tiny Tim hits, it will hurt.  *IF* it hits.  I've gotten to the point in my Saipan that if I want to go after a DD, I'd rather use DBs than rocket planes.

Saipan  takes more practice than the other t8s to become comfortable, but once you do understand the intracacies of CV gameplay, it is a monster. It has the highest alpha and DOT dmg potential of its tier, the he bombs are still effective vs dds, while the tiny tims, when hitting dds at a 70/30 degree angle, gain enough pen to cause ok dmg results. The torps are god powered, nukes!

Also can't go wrong with a mini-Midway.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,302 posts
6,266 battles
2 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

The torps are god powered, nukes!

So wait, do Saipan's BTDs get the Mark 13-2s or the Mark 7s?

0 posts
36 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

So wait, do Saipan's BTDs get the Mark 13-2s or the Mark 7s?

image.png.9527baaa7ff8e3f2f888d3bcfcfa8475.png 

4 torps in the water, a total of nearly 25 000 dmg potential per attack flight. or twice as much as Graf (4500 per torp, three torps in the water), and the highest flood chance of tier 8 CVs. For Tier 8, godpower.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,302 posts
6,266 battles
2 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

4 torps in the water, a total of nearly 20 000 dmg potential per attack flight. or twice as much as Graf (3500 per torp, three torps in the water), and the highest flood chance of tier 8 CVs. For Tier 8, godpower.

Saipan didn't get hit with the Midway torp nerf. That is INSANE! Not quite insane enough to make me heap more abuse on my wallet, but insane nonetheless.

Members
783 posts
7 hours ago, Sumseaman said:

I completely agree with lovebotes order.  Saipan will teach you how to manage your planes more effectively, once you get that down it is the best of the prem CV.  Hitting DD with tiny tims isnt an issue for me and its pretty normal to hit for 5-8k on a DD per run.  The torps are the Thor's hammer of prem CV, hitting with all 4 can do some crushing dmg.  The DB are nice and hit for 10k or so on average. GZ I think was over nerfed, I find im struggling a bit with it unlike the rest, just feels much easier to hit 100k+ in any other T8 cv.

Of T8 though id have to agree with others Lexington is tops for now.

• Cool 1

[UEFN]
Members
1,278 posts
21,568 battles
7 hours ago, Crucis said:

tiny tims seems to have more vertical spread, when i rocket spam DD with TT i try to nail them from the front or back to get more dmg.

[ANRD]
Members
2 posts
1,694 battles

I actually thoroughly enjoy Graf Zeppelin. It took a lot of dedication to master her. Its about picking targets. Rockets are good for DDs, approach from the bow. Upgrade dive bombers speed, they can outrun fighters of that tier. Attack cruisers, not BBs. Aim just above the torpedo belt, its your best chance of citadels. Torpedoes are only really effective against battleships. All that being said the chances of fire and flooding are bad and the damage is worse. But hey, your secondaries are beastly.

[PEEDZ]
[PEEDZ]
Members
491 posts
2,477 battles

Enterprise is top. By a long way. 

Siapan

Kaga

GZ

Indomitable

Edited by Many_metal_fishes

Sign in to follow this