You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SJ_Sailer

Thoughts on Yorck vs. New Orleans

27 comments in this topic

[MHG]
[MHG]
Members
883 posts
3,865 battles

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of these two CA ships?

Yorck has built in IFHE, New Orleans has better AA.

Which would you guys choose?

[-AGW-]
Members
975 posts
12,832 battles

New Orleans. Less floaty shells and the gun layout makes it easier to change direction and still keep more guns on target.

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,904 posts
8,457 battles

The York and New Orleans have very different roles. The New Orleans is more a shorter ranged brawler with very powerful AP. The Yorck on the other hand even though it is German and has torps is more of a long range HE spammer that can brawl in the right circumstances.

If you are looking for ships at tier 7 both are very good ships that can be a lot of fun and I recommend eventually getting both. If you are looking to progress down either line eventually I personally prefer the DM its a lot of fun especially with the Legendary mod. The Hindi is still ok but it has fallen out of meta since the HIV got the reload booster.

One final note, the Yorck used to be a terrible boat but its gotten a lot of buffs since then so its a very different ship than most people remember. If someone has not played it in the last few months its probably not how they remember it.

[KWF]
Members
4,052 posts
6,242 battles
7 minutes ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

The York and New Orleans have very different roles. The New Orleans is more a shorter ranged brawler with very powerful AP. The Yorck on the other hand even though it is German and has torps is more of a long range HE spammer that can brawl in the right circumstances.

If you are looking for ships at tier 7 both are very good ships that can be a lot of fun and I recommend eventually getting both. If you are looking to progress down either line eventually I personally prefer the DM its a lot of fun especially with the Legendary mod. The Hindi is still ok but it has fallen out of meta since the HIV got the reload booster.

One final note, the Yorck used to be a terrible boat but its gotten a lot of buffs since then so its a very different ship than most people remember. If someone has not played it in the last few months its probably not how they remember it.

While you are correct regarding Yorck being more of an HE spammer, recently the AP shell drag that made the AP bad unless at close range was fixed. Provided you get broadsides you can do alot of damage from surprisingly long distances.

As for the OP, these days you can earn a New Orleans permanent space camouflage for free which is surprisingly unobtrusive. Maybe that could make a potential grind easier as well.

Edited by warheart1992

[MHG]
[MHG]
Members
883 posts
3,865 battles
6 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

As for the OP, these days you can earn a New Orleans permanent space camouflage for free which is surprisingly unobtrusive. Maybe that could make a potential grind easier as well.

Can you remind me what is required to earn it?  Do I have enough time?  I skipped space, I really did not like they way the played but will get back in it for free camo.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,260 posts
8,272 battles
2 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Can you remind me what is required to earn it?  Do I have enough time?  I skipped space, I really did not like they way the played but will get back in it for free camo.

Tier VII US and MN cruiser space camos are awarded for the second directive in the current Fly! Strike! Win! stage.

[WOLFG]
Members
8,630 posts
7,045 battles
3 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

It is part of directive 2 of FSW.  Directive 1 gets you the camo for the Pensacola, plus the same tier French cruisers.

[SOUS]
[SOUS]
Members
93 posts
3,239 battles
1 minute ago, SJ_Sailer said:

I believe it is one of the 2nd Directive rewards for Fly, Strike Win.

[KWF]
Members
4,052 posts
6,242 battles
8 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

You need to do the two first Directives that are ongoing:

From Kizaverxis's thread on the subject:

Directive I starts April 1st

Reward: 2 Naval Aviation containers, 200 Ironium, 3,000 Coal, Bionic perma-camos for T6 La Galissonniere and T6 Pensacola (combat bonuses, -10% Service Cost, +50% XP) 

The Missions needed.

Spoiler

Complete 6 of the 10 Missions to complete the Directive

Aircraft Down
Get 15 "Aircraft shot down" or "Shot down by fighter" ribbons
T5+ ships in Random and/or Co-op battle
Reward: 3 November Echo Setteseven signals

Credits for War
Earn 2,000,000 credits (before deductions)
T5+ ships in Random, Co-op, Scenario, Space, and/or Clan Battle
Reward: 200,000 credits

Prolific Fighter
Get 30 "Torpedo hits", "Caused flooding", "Set on fire", or "Hits to citadel" ribbons
T5+ ships in Random, Co-op, and/or Scenaro Battle
Reward: 5 India Delta signals

Fierce Commander
Earn 40,000 Cmdr XP (after modifiers)
Reward: 5,000 Elite Cmdr XP

Under Fire
Receive 5,000,000 HP of potential damage
T5+ ships in Random, Co-op, and/or Scenario Battle
2 Restless Fire one-use camos

Battle Experience
Earn 60,000 XP (after modifiers)
Reward: 5 Equal Speed Charlie London signals

Total Damage
Damage 100 ship modules (AA and secondaries count)
Reward: One Ocean Soul one-use camo

Only Victory - Only Success!
Win 10 battles
Reward: 4 Juliet Yankee Bissotwo, 3 Mike Yankee Soxisix, and 2 India X-Ray signals

Ruthless
Destroy 10 ships
Reward: One Shadow Lurker one-use camo

In the Heat of Battle
Receive 500,000 HP of potential damage
Boise and/or Nueve de Julio in Random, Co-op, and/or Scenario Battle
Reward: One Ouroboros signal 

Then onto the second that gives the camos for the tier VII's

Directive II starts Fri April 5th 

Reward: 2 Naval Aviation containers, 150 Ironium, 4,000 Coal, Bionic perma-camos for T7 Algerie and T7 New Orleans (combat bonuses, -10% Service Cost, +50% XP)

The Missions

Spoiler

Complete 6 of the 10 Missions to complete the Directive

Aircraft Down
Get 15 "Aircraft shot down" or "Shot down by fighter" ribbons
T5+ ships in Random and/or Co-op battle
Reward: 3 November Echo Setteseven signals

Credits for War
Earn 2,000,000 credits (before deductions)
Reward: 200,000 credits

Prolific Fighter
Get 30 "Torpedo hits", "Caused flooding", "Set on fire", or "Hits to citadel" ribbons
T5+ ships in Random, Co-op, and/or Scenaro Battle
Reward: 5 India Delta signals

Fierce Commander
Earn 40,000 Cmdr XP (after modifiers)
Reward: 5,000 Elite Cmdr XP

Under Fire
Receive 5,000,000 HP of potential damage
2 Restless Fire one-use camos

Battle Experience
Earn 60,000 XP (after modifiers)
Reward: 5 Equal Speed Charlie London signals

Total Damage
Damage 100 ship modules (AA and secondaries count)
Reward: One Ocean Soul one-use camo

Only Victory - Only Success!
Win 10 battles
Reward: 4 Juliet Yankee Bissotwo, 3 Mike Yankee Soxisix, and 2 India X-Ray signals

Ruthless
Destroy 10 ships
Reward: One Shadow Lurker one-use camo

In the Heat of Battle
Receive 500,000 HP of potential damage
Boise and/or Nueve de Julio in Random, Co-op, and/or Scenario Battle
Reward: One Ouroboros signal 

Edited by warheart1992

[MHG]
[MHG]
Members
883 posts
3,865 battles
27 minutes ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

The Yorck on the other hand even though it is German and has torps is more of a long range HE spammer that can brawl in the right circumstances.

YES, it is made for that long range HE spamming role, so can you explain this to me?

Why give it turtleback armor that is strong against short range fire and worse give it weak deck armor that leaves you to be citadeled by long range plunging fire?

It is like they gave it a role then provided the exact opposite protection it needs.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,260 posts
8,272 battles

I don't have the start dates for each of the directives, but I know for a fact that directive #2 dropped sometime last week and directive #3 dropped this week. All are still active though.

Edited by Nevermore135

Members
6,284 posts
19,833 battles

The only real positive with those choices is that if you can make them work well, you are a good player. Both are tough to play at times and are great teachers on how to protect your ship.

[PVE]
Members
11,301 posts
21,788 battles
41 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Yorck has built in IFHE, New Orleans has better AA.

Which would you guys choose?

New Orleans

[WOLFG]
Members
27,162 posts
7,261 battles
12 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Why give it turtleback armor that is strong against short range fire and worse give it weak deck armor that leaves you to be citadeled by long range plunging fire?

It's a KM ship. Turtleback and shorter engagement ranges in the expected conditions were a RL design philosophy, based on Jutland experience.

Long-range HE spamming is entirely an artificial by-product of game mechanics.

Not a big deal though. BBs don't have actual plunging fire until 23+km in game IIRC.

And if you can make US CL shell arcs work for you, the AP is good out to 12ish km.

Edited by Skpstr

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,904 posts
8,457 battles
24 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

YES, it is made for that long range HE spamming role, so can you explain this to me?

It is like they gave it a role then provided the exact opposite protection it needs.

I cant comment on the design choices made for the ship. What I do know is the Yorck armor wont really be effective at any range, the citadel sticks out of the water more than subsequent ships like the Hipper and the turtleback is not as sloped as the hipper the 45 d vs 58 is kind of a big deal because 45 d is when AP shells start having a chance to ricochet and as the angle increases shells have a higher chance to ricochet. Which means not only do you lack the ability to depend on your armor to ricochet at close range if the shells drop at all the shells wont ricochet at all. 

What makes the Yorck effective as a long range HE spammer is that it has a long range and the best HE of any German CA, the HE shells also retain the velocity reasonably well. You can easily fight other cruisers or BBs at ranges where you can dodge instead of depending on your armor, and if you get into a situation where you can close the range safely you have dependable german torpedoes as an option.

13 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Not a big deal though. BBs don't have actual plunging fire until 23+km in game IIRC.

Yes and no, the 23 km number comes from the range BBs need to have a sufficient angle to not ricochet off of horizontal armor. When the armor is already sloped it dramatically decreases the required range.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
13,924 posts

Both are good ships, I've kept them both in my fleet and have zero plan to ever sell them.  With the rudder upgrade, they're quite agile for their size. 

New Orleans has better bow armor and improved angles on the AP.

Yorck has torpedoes (with the very nice German launch arcs).  I liked it before it was buffed, so the buffs were just gravy for me.

[WLDD]
Members
119 posts
5,944 battles

New Orleans out classes Yorck in the gunnery department by a mile.  

Both can pen 32mm armor with their HE.  Yorck can pen 50mm, but it is at a tier where 25mm is the norm for BBs and 32mm when bottom tier.

New Orleans eat’s the Yorck’s lunch with its vastly superior AP.

i do not recall how their armor compares.

yorck’s torps are short range, so you won’t use them much.  Not enough to offset for NO’s AP.  NO also leads directly to Bmore which is better than Hipper, and ends with the always popular in competitive modes DM.

Edited by CharlesBB55

[MHG]
[MHG]
Members
883 posts
3,865 battles
2 minutes ago, CharlesBB55 said:

Both can pen 32mm armor with their HE.  Yorck can pen 50mm, but it is at a tier where 25mm is the norm for BBs and 32mm when bottom tier.

New Orleans eat’s the Yorck’s lunch with its vastly superior AP.

i do not recall how their armor compares.

yorck’s torps are short range, so you won’t use them much.  Not enough to offset for NO’s AP.  NO also leads directly to Bmore which is better than Hipper, and ends with the always popular in competitive modes DM.

But Yorck has the range, 17+km.  You can out range most cruisers while not taking any fire back, assuming no BB's are in the area.  Even so if they have a shot at a cruiser at 15 km and one at 17, they will usually take the 15.

(You do not have to out swim the shark, just your dive buddy.)

[NSEW]
Members
1,726 posts
10,368 battles
6 hours ago, SJ_Sailer said:

With New Orleans, you can get a free Space perma camo. That in itself would encourage me to research & buy her. 

[WOLF6]
Members
402 posts
3,284 battles
10 hours ago, Skpstr said:

And if you can make US CL shell arcs work for you, the AP is good out to 12ish km.

New Orleans 203s are flatter shooting than the later USN CAs, and MUCH flatter shooting than the CLs.  NO guns have nearly identical ballistics to Myoko.

10 hours ago, NashW8 said:

New Orleans. Less floaty shells ...

8 hours ago, CharlesBB55 said:

Seems like some folks still have an impression of pre-buff Yorck.  Yorck has the fastest/flattest shooting cruiser guns at T7, with the best raw pen to boot.

Below is a comparison of Yorck and NO ballistics, with Algerie thrown in for comparison.

Spoiler

Selection_032.thumb.png.4f7a14e22d135a070b47b4b7611cf7ee.pngSelection_033.thumb.png.9bd031c9069863f9c54a61a97500a5ef.png

As mentioned before, Myoko is nearly identical to NO.  As far as CLs, they are all slower/floatier than the CAs.

The primary advantage NO has is not pen, but improved pen angles.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,289 posts
22,304 battles

Between NOLA and Yorck at Tier VII, Yorck is better for several reasons.

1.  USN CA AP bounce angles is great, but I don't think the BBs that make up this game really give a sh*t about NOLA's AP.  I don't think Scharnhorst, North Carolina, Massachusetts, Amagi, Iowa, Missouri, Musashi, Nagato, etc. are going to give a f--k about your AP.  Hell, I'm quite positive Arizona, Fuso, and Warspite owners don't care about NOLA's AP, either.

2.  Yorck's only problem back in the day was that her AP was floaty.  That was fixed by WG a while back, and it made the AP shells more useful.

3.  But as I said, BBs aren't going to be scared by Cruiser AP at this tier.  Which is where Yorck's extra, free HE Pen makes her be a more consistent damage dealer.  Let's be honest here fellow CA players.  Unless it's a another Cruiser that made a mistake that you're planting AP into them, you're keeping the "1" key slotted most of the time.  You don't have Des Memes' ROF in US CAs yet, that's 3 tiers down the road.

4.  Yorck has the reassurance of LOTS of 6km torpedoes at her side to put down even a Battleship.  Yorck when she gets into a knife fight is a dangerous opponent that even a BB must respect.

NOLA is a better "Cruiser Killer" than Yorck in a game dominated by Battleships.  Yorck has better HE for dealing more consistent damage to BBs as well as having torps to beat respect out of them if they dare to get close.  A BB has no respect for a USN Cruiser with no torps in a short ranged fight because the gun power isn't going to put a healthy BB down quick enough.  Only DM with her insane ROF and powerful shells will beat respect out of a BB if they're not careful.  That's why Torpedoes on a Cruiser are always useful.

Lastly, when the USN Cruiser Split happened and NOLA went from Tier VIII->VII, she lost her Radar.  The last value she had went away with the USN Cruiser Split.  In my eyes, she is the most worthless CA in Tier VII, every other CA is better.  Algerie, Yorck, Myoko and her many clones.  All better than NOLA, and better equipped for the reality of Randoms:  There's lots of BBs out there.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[TDRB]
Members
4,455 posts
12,611 battles

2.  Yorck's only problem back in the day was that her AP was floaty.  That was fixed by WG a while back, and it made the AP shells more useful.

This fix has made the Yorck a much better ship. In operations I prefer it over the New Orleans. I rarely run a T7 cruiser in a randoms at this time. Working on improving to advance to that tier.

In my eyes, she is the most worthless CA in Tier VII, every other CA is better.  Algerie, Yorck, Myoko and her many clones.  All better than NOLA, and better equipped for the reality of Randoms:  There's lots of BBs out there.

While I wouldn't use the term "worthless" she is at the bottom of my list of T7 cruisers.

The Yorck is my favorite CA since the buff.