You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Florendo19

French CV line proposal (for some future date)

12 comments in this topic

[RNDM]
Members
370 posts
7,076 battles

tier IV Bearn (accent over the e)

tier VI Joffre (incomplete)

tier VIII Arromanches (Colossus Class)

tier X Clemenceau (1955 design)

Because why not? it is actually plausible and due to the smaller number of ships in an individual CV tech tree it is actually fairly easy to get enough ships. Colossus class while British is not currently represented so it would be available as Arromanches for the French. Are there any other countries that could have a full CV tech tree in game?

Edited by Florendo19
changed Joffre from paper to incomplete
  • Meh 1

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
45 minutes ago, Florendo19 said:

tier VI Joffre (paper)

Because why not? it is actually plausible and due to the smaller number of ships in an individual CV tech tree it is actually fairly easy to get enough ships. Colossus class while British is not currently represented so it would be available as Arromanches for the French. Are there any other countries that could have a full CV tech tree in game?

I wish you wouldn't say "paper" ship.  It's too vague.  Do you mean to say that the Joffre is a fictional ship or a ship design that was never build (or perhaps ordered but cancelled)?  

[RNDM]
Members
370 posts
7,076 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I wish you wouldn't say "paper" ship.  It's too vague.  Do you mean to say that the Joffre is a fictional ship or a ship design that was never build (or perhaps ordered but cancelled)?  

sorry not paper but just incomplete so most of the documents and specs would be paper.

[LOIN]
Supertester
780 posts

Well French had 1 carrier built which was the ex Normandie class, Bearn. That was the only class they constructed during the 2nd world war. The only carrier they built until the Charles De Gaulle class came around. Meaning so-called,"fake designs",are needed. I honestly don't call any of them fake because they were actual designs just never completed for one reason or another. But for some reason people call every design that was never built "fake" 

As for the Coloasus class. These were officially, light carriers, given the hull designation of CVL. But they might work.

[SPTR]
Members
2,298 posts
2,080 battles

I would treat Bearn like GZ in the sense that she's a lone premium for a nation that otherwise didn't have CV;s.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,371 posts
13,893 battles
1 hour ago, Florendo19 said:

Are there any other countries that could have a full CV tech tree in game?

Only the US, Japan, and Great Britain had an operation fleet of carriers at the start of WWII. The French just had the Bearn but your list would work. For the Germans, Graf Zeppelin, & the Italians, Aquila which were never completed the premium route is the way to go.

Members
269 posts
4,128 battles
3 hours ago, Florendo19 said:

tier VI Joffre (incomplete)

I'd rather see Arromanches as a premium than a tech tree ship, there are likely some utterly paper intermediary designs, or possible conversions (Jean Bart or Commandant Teste, for example) that would be a better fit.
As for t10, a preliminary Clemenceau might be better, since she was designed for jet operation from the start, with Dassault Etendard IV forming most of their air wing. The name could be reused for a T8 Richelieu hull conversion however.

2 hours ago, Starfleet1701 said:

Well French had 1 carrier built which was the ex Normandie class, Bearn. That was the only class they constructed during the 2nd world war. The only carrier they built until the Charles De Gaulle class came around. Meaning so-called,"fake designs",are needed. I honestly don't call any of them fake because they were actual designs just never completed for one reason or another. But for some reason people call every design that was never built "fake"

As for the Coloasus class. These were officially, light carriers, given the hull designation of CVL. But they might work.

Clemenceau and Foch were never built? CDG also isn't a class, just a solo ship who sorely needs a companion.

Edited by HP_Lovesauce

[RNDM]
Members
370 posts
7,076 battles

58 minutes ago, HP_Lovesauce said:

I'd rather see Arromanches as a premium than a tech tree ship, there are likely some utterly paper intermediary designs, or possible conversions (Jean Bart or Commandant Teste, for example) that would be a better fit.
As for t10, a preliminary Clemenceau might be better, since she was designed for jet operation from the start, with Dassault Etendard IV forming most of their air wing. The name could be reused for a T8 Richelieu hull conversion however.

As and alternate to Arromanches maybe Dixmude of the Avenger class although the armament that it would have to receive to make it a viable tier VIII may be a bit much. Probably easier to stick Arromanches in there instead (people shouldn't whine about paper ships but you know). I do have to ask why you would prefer it as a premium instead of as a tech tree ship? I mean there are several different countries that have operated Colossus class CVs but they would all be Commonwealth, Pan American or Pan European if they were not just British (which already has a full line now along with a premium and more options for other CVs if need be). Plus, while it may be considered lazy WG probably wouldn't hesitate to make Colossus copies for each.

Fair point on Clemenceau's jets. There is probably some early design not for jet operation that could be dug up. Not like WG hasn't done that before.

Members
269 posts
4,128 battles
7 hours ago, Florendo19 said:

As and alternate to Arromanches maybe Dixmude of the Avenger class although the armament that it would have to receive to make it a viable tier VIII may be a bit much. Probably easier to stick Arromanches in there instead (people shouldn't whine about paper ships but you know). I do have to ask why you would prefer it as a premium instead of as a tech tree ship? I mean there are several different countries that have operated Colossus class CVs but they would all be Commonwealth, Pan American or Pan European if they were not just British (which already has a full line now along with a premium and more options for other CVs if need be). Plus, while it may be considered lazy WG probably wouldn't hesitate to make Colossus copies for each.

Fair point on Clemenceau's jets. There is probably some early design not for jet operation that could be dug up. Not like WG hasn't done that before.

The issue is, I'd like to have native designs for a tree that could field them over lent vessels, otherwise you start getting into Pan Asian territory really fast.
Not like the propose Jean Bart conversion is that far out there.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,302 posts
6,266 battles
11 hours ago, Starfleet1701 said:

Technically "intermediate carriers", but yeah, they're basically slightly larger Saipan analogs that were meant to be easy to build and replace. So naturally most of them entered service post-war. Oops.

That being said, Joffre also had some work done on her but wasn't completed. I'd personally make the line Dixmude > Bearn > Joffre > Jean Bart conversion and leave Arromanches and Bois Belleau as premiums. It's also been suggested that Commandant Teste could be a tier 4 line starter, but I'm not sure how well a non-flattop would work even if she did carry enough planes.

Members
269 posts
4,128 battles
4 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

Technically "intermediate carriers", but yeah, they're basically slightly larger Saipan analogs that were meant to be easy to build and replace. So naturally most of them entered service post-war. Oops.

That being said, Joffre also had some work done on her but wasn't completed. I'd personally make the line Dixmude > Bearn > Joffre > Jean Bart conversion and leave Arromanches and Bois Belleau as premiums. It's also been suggested that Commandant Teste could be a tier 4 line starter, but I'm not sure how well a non-flattop would work even if she did carry enough planes.

Commandant Teste was slated to get a refit into a CVL of sorts before lend lease ships were acquired.

[RNDM]
Members
370 posts
7,076 battles
9 hours ago, HP_Lovesauce said:

The issue is, I'd like to have native designs for a tree that could field them over lent vessels, otherwise you start getting into Pan Asian territory really fast.
Not like the propose Jean Bart conversion is that far out there.

Good point on the native design, I guess I was just trying to avoid the paper ships claim. It would probably depend on what route WG would want to go in trying for the most native designed or most actually built. At this point I kind of see the line as a sort of mix between American planes and British CVs with a French twist. So probably small squadrons but with high speeds and some different strike group option like AP DBs instead of HE. Or the line could end up as the first support CV role people occasionally talk about when they talk about what will happen to the odd tier USN and IJN CVs but I really don't know what that would look like.