You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
comtedumas

If you could only buy one

21 comments in this topic

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,748 posts
9,685 battles

If you could only buy one of the 4 carriers on sale, which one would you buy?  

• Meh 1

Members
675 posts
5,336 battles

Definitely Graf Zeppelin and I’m sure plenty will agree. It’s planes are the fastest but torps are slow and bombers are different in approach. However, I got Kaga and I didn’t realize how good she was since she’s considered near the bottom of the 4. Her quad drops and numerous planes make her feel forgiving. But my god is she slow. If you get caught out of position, you’re dead. 

• Meh 1

[SPTR]
Members
2,498 posts
2,295 battles

Enterprise, for the history and just the sheer regen rate, leave it alive too long and it will become more and more potent as the game drags on. It's basically a CV that relies on the game becoming one of attrition. And the side with that ship on it in the battle of attrition will win. Plus USN AP bombs, whats not to love meme-ing on Nelsons?

[5D2]
Supertester
2,308 posts
22,562 battles

Kaga actually. Good speed and torpedoes with good HE bombs. More importantly 3 sqaudrons of each type on deck with a great replenishment rate.

[INR]
Members
1,225 posts
4,060 battles

None. I don't like CV gameplay, old or new. Heck, I don't like CVs in general.

If I had to choose, though, it would be Kaga. Akagi, Kaga, Implacable, and Indefatiguable are my favorite CVs.

[WOLF7]
Members
5,113 posts

GZ, but, mainly because I have the other three.  If I didn't have Enterprise, I'd want it first, well, because it's Enterprise.   I became interested in WWII ~35 years ago from reading 'The Big E'...

[TBW]
Members
9,739 posts
16,517 battles

The one that I don't have, the GZ.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
1,704 posts
4,097 battles

I'm not going to buy any of them, not even as port queens.  :P  I did not enjoy the carrier gameplay during the closed beta, and the changes in the rework do not appear to be any more enjoyable.  Just personal preference, not a knock against CVs.

• Cool 1

Members
783 posts

If I had to buy one, Saipan she is all around good slow regen but her planes all pack a punch.  If i could only buy 1 and i was new to playing CV? Enterprise, her plane regen makes her forgiving and her planes are all around good.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,878 posts
11,515 battles

The Zepplin. 260kts boost for tb and db is insane once you realize the game uses a time compression for most things and for cv planes it is a 5x so, in reality, traveling 10km at 260kts would take 1minute 15 seconds in the game it takes 15 seconds...So by that, you can easily convert 260kts to the actual speed and realize those German torpedo bombers are moving at Mach 1.9 near sea level. This is not only impossible in reality but the control surfaces would tear off the moment they were engaged, and most likely the wings would tear off from the massive overpressure build up on the leading edges by going so fast in such a thick atmosphere.

Kaga is also a really good cv to get as well.

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,054 posts
5,674 battles

I know GZ is going to be a common answer...  But if you are going to work other tech tree CVs.. doesn't it make sense to have  captain trainer for those lines?   Important for me.   

Members
54 posts
2,142 battles
1 hour ago, Starfleet1701 said:

Enterprise, why? Just look at my name. It says it all.

No self respecting Star Trek fan can ever pass on owning any ship named Enterprise!! So I will be buying :cap_cool:

• Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,266 posts
4 hours ago, comtedumas said:

If you could only buy one of the 4 carriers on sale, which one would you buy?  

I be struggling with this earlier today in a thread of my own... and have come to the conclusion it's worth waiting for the Indomitable release before pulling the trigger. 

Members
783 posts
1 hour ago, C10Khon said:

No self respecting Star Trek fan can ever pass on owning any ship named Enterprise!! So I will be buying :cap_cool:

You wont regret it, ive played a few games in mine this morning after getting it, instant love.  GZ torp planes are bannas doing 260kn but their torps are so weak, still racks up dmg but you have to make a lot of runs *at 260kn!*.  Kaga and Saipan are still as solid as ever in their own tier, in +2 all T8 cv feel the burn.

[SIM]
Members
4,649 posts
7,770 battles

If you're asking as a person who does not have of the premium carriers, the Enterprise is the most comfortable, generally effective carrier of the bunch, and that's the one that I would recommend. They all have their strengths, but the Enterprise is a pretty effective generalist and so tends to do the best regardless of match-up.

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,748 posts
9,685 battles

Thanks guys, I bought some crates just to see.  First 5 were camo’s, next three were flags, then I got Enterprise and Saipan in a row.  

I am glad I didn’t pay for either of them beforehand, but I realize I got lucky.