You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Premium Carriers - More players than you think..

46 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,398 posts

Considering the number of carriers I'm seeing this morning, all different players, it seems we have more carrier fans than expected. Or I should say, premium carrier fans. 

Which of them do you think are the best (ship) ? 

If I had the coin, I'd want the Big E then the GZ. 

You? 

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,087 posts
5,773 battles

I really want Enterprise too.. Seems like you can be a bit more careless with your planes and possibly more aggressive with enemy CVs.    Of course I shelled out for  20 CRATE DROP AND GOT THE OTHER 3!    Not griping though!   

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,398 posts

My luck in gambling is no luck at all... what sort of perturbs me is the pricing - if I buy all four I get em for roughly 50US each... separate, uh, nope. 

[5D2]
Supertester
2,311 posts
22,741 battles

GZ... isnt as comfortable as Kaga or Enterprise. The torpedoes are so insanely slow it's like starting over when learning to drop them and the  DBs jave a completely different system from all other CVs. The DBs dont rise into the air, they just go into an immediate slow dive with only 2 bombs that feel very inaccurate compared to the IJN or Enterpise due to their weird circle reticle. 

I'm still learning though so my opinion may change in time.

Members
5,150 posts
2 minutes ago, Skuggsja said:

GZ... isnt as comfortable as Kaga or Enterprise. The torpedoes are so insanely slow it's like starting over when learning to drop them and the  DBs jave a completely different system from all other CVs. The DBs dont rise into the air, they just go into an immediate slow dive with only 2 bombs that feel very inaccurate compared to the IJN or Enterpise due to their weird circle reticle. 

I'm still learning though so my opinion may change in time.

I bet @LoveBote has a few tips about GZ...

[5D2]
Supertester
2,311 posts
22,741 battles
4 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

I bet @LoveBote has a few tips about GZ...

I hope so. I took it into the training room vs non moving tier 10 bots and got a bit more of a handle on the DBs but they still arent comfortable. @Lovebote can you help a guy out? 

[WOLF7]
Members
12,516 posts

Good reason to take some time off, the cvpocolypse in random will cause problems in every mode.:Smile_glasses:

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1

[-GPS-]
Members
2,894 posts
33,937 battles

Best all depends on play style.

Kaga can be powerful if you make the most of the torp bombers. Manage losses just a bit and you have almost unlimited supply. Which is good because the rockets and dive bombers aren’t great. 

Some players do really well with Saipan. I struggle with it because of the low supply of planes and glacially slow regeneration. If I’m really cautious, I have trouble doing enough damage. If not, I end up de-planed.    The 4 torp drop can be really potent. The dive bombers don’t kill DDs like Midway but when they hit BOOM.

I wish I could try Graf Zeppelin. The Big E just doesn’t have anything really appealing. 

[NATO]
Beta Testers
2,142 posts
6,732 battles

I only own Kaga and I would offer a hard caution to anyone considering that purchase. Faced with T10 AA its T7 planes are in a precarious position and you arent much of a factor for the first 10 minutes (save your TB's for later) , you can still put up 70k+ damage for a match but the first while it can be frustrating. That being said, Kaga is also kind of OP vs T6 ships and while T6 AA is still effective vs Kaga's T7 aircraft, Kaga's torp bombers will repeatedly hammer their targets.

There are a lot of tricks in the bag for an experienced CV driver, but for a player who hasnt faced T10 AA there are some very hard lessons for a novice Kaga driver to learn.

[-IRS-]
[-IRS-]
Beta Testers
167 posts
4,881 battles

AP bombs just don’t seem to have the same value as HE bombs. With HE bombs I can do similar, if not better damage, while still being able to hit DDs if needed and set fires. Only weakness to them is that it’s all easily repaired damage. 

Where as AP bombs are harder to hit with, can’t meaningfully hurt DDs, and really require citadel hits to do decent damage. Yeh the damage is harder to recover for the enemy but it doesn’t feel like a good trade off.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,298 posts
18,473 battles
38 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Considering the number of carriers I'm seeing this morning, all different players, it seems we have more carrier fans than expected

One of the reasons I've seen put forth explaining the jump in CV population is that so many players of other ship types have left the game. I've seen posts that indicate that the overall player population may have dropped by as much as 30%, meaning that CVs now make up a higher percentage of a vastly reduced overall player base. Wonder what that indicates?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[ASHIP]
[ASHIP]
Members
89 posts
8,088 battles

the Enterprise is a great ship, the ap bombers can be brutal to cruisers and BBs, and the attack planes allow you to hound DDs and cruisers almost at will,  even in t10 matches I can still do okay although as with all the T8 Cvs, you have to be patient and pick your shots carefully because if the game goes for long you get deplaned quickly. The Saipan is another good ship although you have to be very careful whith your planes because they dont regenerate fast at all, the end of a game is where the saipan can really start to shine when ships are isolated, the attack planes have Tiny tims and are a threat to anything floating even in some case BBs. same with the Graf Zep, her DBs take some getting used to, Ive started dropping the bombs broadside to a ship and seem to get more hits that way, 

Members
783 posts

GZ torp planes go straight to plaid spending next to no time in AA radius and they can cross the whole map in a flash but lack in damage a bit, her attack planes are good damage and pen but made of tissue paper.  Her AP dive bombers are next to garbage from my point of view, they drop 2 bombs you would need to get both to cit to do good damage.  The dive bombers 2 bombs tend to miss... a lot, even on non moving targets with maxed aim time.

Kaga has good torp planes but large squadrons means easier to clip a flak cloud and if you do that well pooof goes the whole squadron.  The HE dive bombers are ok, they do decent dmg no complaints.  The fighters are garbage in every way.

Saipan has great torp planes, great fighters, and great dive bombers.  The +2 tier on her planes means jack in a T10 game your planes will still melt.  But in a T8 game she is a wrecking ball.  So long as you manage your planes well her low regen wont bite you in the [edited].

Enterprise has good fighters with a wide horizontal firing oval, makes them great for side on attack runs but the fighters do not have great pen just decent.  The torp planes are slow but pack a good punch.  Her dive bombers are in my opinion her best trait, they drop a good amount of bombs with nice damage,  with just 3 cits in a drop its easy to see 17k or so damage.  While cruisers arent the best AP targets you can drop and cit things like minos etc if your planes can survive long enough.

My vote for best overall goes to Saipan, she requires a CV captain that knows how to manage planes but her load out of planes is just super comfortable.   GZ honestly I think is by far the weakest of the group, while her torp planes are stupid fast and you can get off a lot of runs with them they lack damage, and her fighters are fragile keeping them from being near Saipans fighters in quality of performance. The GZ AP DB just suck from what i have seen if they were more accurate to where double cits were more common they would be good, but atm they miss far to much and 1 of 2 bombs missing means 50% less damage.  Kaga is fun but when uptiered can really struggle when entire squadrons melt, I would still rate her as a good CV though thanks to her nice torp bombers, nice db, the fighters are just fodder.  Enterprise is nice, really enjoyable, she is just all around solid.  Enterprise is prolly the most n00b friendly her plane regen is forgiving of mistakes, her fighters and torp planes do their jobs well, and the AP DB let her crush some unsuspecting skulls.

My list of picks. TLDR version.

Number 1: Saipan

Number 2: Enterprise

Number 3: Kaga

Number 4: Graf Zeppelin - AP DB need dmg reduced a bit and made more accurate since it only drops 2 bombs.

Edited by JToney3449

[WOLF7]
Members
12,516 posts
42 minutes ago, Umikami said:

One of the reasons I've seen put forth explaining the jump in CV population is that so many players of other ship types have left the game. I've seen posts that indicate that the overall player population may have dropped by as much as 30%, meaning that CVs now make up a higher percentage of a vastly reduced overall player base. Wonder what that indicates?

My theory is that WG if fishing for a new population, and burning the old one down isn't a concern. Perhaps they feel they've milked as much money as they can from the old players, and it's time for a new batch....:cap_hmm:

It would explain the location change for online numbers in game, and the removal of them from the website....:Smile_glasses:

• Cool 1

[S-N-D]
Members
3,282 posts
7,658 battles

Why anyone would ever pay for the privilege of being T8 in a T10 game with CVs is beyond me. Have at it. T10 planes are turned into dust easily, T8s might as well not even exist.

Edited by _Caliph_

[HINON]
Members
3,246 posts
25,429 battles

How many rookie cv captains will be taking out their shiny new premium CVs into T8-10 randoms this weekend?  

• Funny 1

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,087 posts
5,773 battles
23 minutes ago, _Caliph_ said:

Why anyone would ever pay for the privilege of being T8 in a T10 game with CVs is beyond me. Have at it. T10 planes are turned into dust easily, T8s might as well not even exist.

I'd guess with the new hard cap at T10 and the burgeoning population of CVs it will be better for a while getting t8 matches?    i'd guess que waits will be longer.   I noticed after the patch that my que times with T8 or t10 were longer last night.    

[-BUI-]
Members
1,639 posts
4,969 battles

GZ really seems like the ONLY premium T8 carrier that is worthwhile to play.

Enterprise sucks because AP bombs suck.

Kaga sucks because the planes have low HP (which is doubly important when facing T10 AA)

Saipan sucks because slow plane restock

GZ has extra boost and high top speed, which are VITAL to avoiding as much AA as possible, plus good rocket pen, PLUS best secondaries, PLUS I believe the torps have the highest flood chance of any T8, they also have terrible AP bombs sadly.   There is no question though.

Edited by Zenn3k

[S-N-D]
Members
3,282 posts
7,658 battles
11 minutes ago, RA6E_ said:

I'd guess with the new hard cap at T10 and the burgeoning population of CVs it will be better for a while getting t8 matches?    i'd guess que waits will be longer.   I noticed after the patch that my que times with T8 or t10 were longer last night.    

For now maybe. But if the need is there for low tiers eventually those low tiers will move to high tiers and it'll be changed back.

Members
1,027 posts
6,184 battles
2 hours ago, Umikami said:

I personally think the grindfests WG has been pushing in this game since the snowflake event is starting to take a toll on people, and with how all the pt has been going on at the same time as everything else is telling about the CV rework.

[-TNT-]
Members
934 posts
17,868 battles

I'm holding off for HMS Indomitable. Funny, as a American I have the entire British CV line but no USN CVs currently. I have all USN tier 10s ship except the Midway.  I guess I was influenced by my friend screaming and swearing like a sailor about his USN Premium CV and Midway. Oh yeah, Flamu's review of HMS Indomitable. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45vdCfTZU04

HMS Audacious.jpg

Edited by Kestrel_Falcon

[GREIF]
Members
252 posts
3,998 battles
3 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Considering the number of carriers I'm seeing this morning, all different players, it seems we have more carrier fans than expected. Or I should say, premium carrier fans. 

Which of them do you think are the best (ship) ? 

If I had the coin, I'd want the Big E then the GZ. 

You? 

its the air crates in the premium shops.  sounds like there's a good probability of getting a premium CV via these air crates that WG is selling right now.   At least that's the impression I was getting from reading some of the earlier threads today.  Folks buying the 20-crate package were getting 1 to 4 premium CVs.   WG is  obviously very interested in increasing folks that play CVs by handing out a bunch of premium CVs in premium shop crates.