You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HansiSolo

Make WoWs fun and engaging again

39 comments in this topic

[KSF]
Members
47 posts
6,217 battles
I’m playing WoWs since 2015 on EU & NA server and to save you the time to go to wows numbers: 8K games in all classes (including 800 RTS CV games), 58% win rate. 

At no point I disliked WoWs as much as I do it right now. I‘m pretty close to say goodbye to this game and these are the reasons:   

1.       CW Rework

We all know it: DDs getting harassed by rocket planes, endless spotting, endless stream of planes, 2 carriers per side, crazy AP bomb damage. It destroys the gameplay, is forcing players to hide and stay in AA blobs. All the positive actions a player can do (scouting, good positioning, pushing) are getting punished by the new CVs instantly.
80% of the players hate it.  And no one likes to be in game with 2 CVs, except guys who enjoy to park a Worcster behind a massive mountain just to shoot down as many planes as possible. 

2.       Spotting mechanics in general

Spotter planes, hydro, radar – it’s all fine, but too many ships have it. And more will come with the Russian BBs. It’s just too much, but it seems WG has no better ideas to improve the game than introducing more and more ships with these gimmicks.
Reducing the time until an allied ship can see a radar detected ship was one step in the right direction, but it’s not enough.

3.       New ships on the same old maps ain’t no fun

New ship lines are fine, but I can’t stand to play the same maps again and again. Experienced players all know the good and bad spots. You see the map and your position and know where you need to go without thinking… braindead and boring. 
I’d love to give up the upcoming Russian BB line or space ship rubbish for 10 new maps or a game mode with randomly created maps.

4.       UI performance

Quad core plus SSD but anyways: the game takes ages to start or close. Same thing when you do stuff in the harbor. Annoys me like hell because I’m paying for my Premium account for years.  

The community already supposed so many solutions and here is just my preferred sum up for WG:

-          Only 1 CV per match

-          Reduce the damage dealt by CVs to DDs

-          Stop making AP bombs being deadly for a random selection of ships because it’s just unfair. Heavy AP bomb damage to an AA heavy ship would be okay, because the CV deserves to be rewarded for attacking his worst enemy.

-          CV planes can’t spot enemy ships but show their position on the mini map

-          More Maps! And consider a game mode with randomly generated/positioned islands

-          Improve the UI performance, Jesus Christ….

Thumbs up please, if you agree and thanks for your feedback in advance.

Edited by HansiSolo
  • Cool 26
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 11

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,288 posts
6,102 battles

-reduce the damage dealt by CVs to DDs.

they nerfed torp dmg,destroyed rocket planes. what more do you whinners want?

-only 1 CV per match

i heard they already did something similar to tier X cvs

-stop making ap bombs citadel ships

no

• Cool 2
  • Meh 9

[CSM]
[CSM]
Members
490 posts
5,164 battles

While I agree we need new maps, the rest is just whining. CVs are not op, I'm a sub par potato player and have no problem dealing with them.

• Cool 4
  • Meh 8

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Members
182 posts
717 battles
4 minutes ago, DarkStormy said:

While I agree we need new maps, the rest is just whining. CVs are not op, I'm a sub par potato player and have no problem dealing with them.

probably means you've never been up against a good CV 

unless you're an AA ship or you camp uselessly with the rest of the team then I can touch you. 

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,288 posts
6,102 battles
4 minutes ago, Ayanami_Kai_Ni said:

good lord,so  we must get more nerfs because the minority is just too damn good for this game.

• Meh 2

[USCG]
Members
548 posts
18,486 battles

One CV per match (all but T4 CVs) - Yes. 

New maps - Yes. 

Do something to slow the waves of unlimited planes - Yes, please. 

Thank you. 

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[CSM]
[CSM]
Members
490 posts
5,164 battles
1 minute ago, Ayanami_Kai_Ni said:

unless you're an AA ship or you camp uselessly with the rest of the team then I can touch you. 

I've played against plenty of great CV drivers and been sunk by them, I've also played against plenty of great BB,DD,CL,CA players and been sunk by them also. I also have sunk plenty of those same ships.

CVs are not OP, not in the least.

git gud or move on to some other game, but stop whining about it.

• Cool 2

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts

Here's the issue with the attitude you show; it's extremely selfish. Because on the one hand, it's all things (baring the UI Issues which are more general) that effect you negatively, but on the other, they are things that effect others positively. I like the CV rework but then I would; my most played ships are RN High Tier Cruisers and USN High Tier Cruisers; the CV rework has had little to no change in my game experience as I can eat planes for days now as I did before. SO for *me* it's a net positive. But in the same breath I'd say WoWs is far from perfect and has gotten worse, not better, with the added complexity of balancing multiple new lines with various 'flavors.' None of your points address the problem behind the problem; CV's are a symptom, not a cause, of the bigger problem in this game and that is how the gameplay and the player mentality merge to create very predictable, very non-dynamic gameplay (Do x for y result, do a for b result). Most of that comes from the Damage system: it is just too spike heavy for a game of this scale and methodology. There are ways to keep the spike damage; the Respawns in Space Assault are an interesting (and well established) work around, but there are others. Until they address and totally rework the way damage is applied over the course of a FULL 20 minute match, they will never get this game to a satisfactory place; they can tweak DD's to be on top and all that does is shift the problem and complaints from them to other classes; the net change is 0.

• Cool 5

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,302 posts
6,266 battles
Just now, cgbosn4 said:

Do something to slow the waves of unlimited planes - Yes, please.

45 minutes ago, HansiSolo said:
1.       CW Rework

We all know it: DDs getting harassed by rocket planes, endless spotting, endless stream of planes, 2 carriers per side, crazy AP bomb damage.

For the love of... How many times must it be said? "Infinite planes" is a complete fallacy. Planes can only regen so fast, and unless a carrier player is careful with how they attack they can very easily be deplaned. Just because there's no hard limit stated in-game does not mean that a carrier can spam endlessly without repercussion.

• Cool 3

[USCC2]
Members
5,814 posts

Unfortunately you will get many negative  replies from those who are too wrapped up in their own favourite type, or just anti another type.

I agree with much of what you say, so do the stats across all servers.

For example - should BBs be allowed to complain? They have the best survival, the best damage and best rewards on average across all servers. Every other ship type has it worse.

Answer: Of course they should! Remember torpedo soup? Look closer at most media, much of it showed that although there were a lot of torps - there weren't a lot of hits. Yet the gameplay was changed because gameplay was not fun.

Remember OWSF? In many cases a DD pew-pewing a bigger ship. Gameplay not fun as a little DD firing on a big BB was not fun gameplay.

The fact they changed it for a bloom mechanic that changed one small ship firing at a big ship to several bigger ships being able to fire at the one small ship seemed a total farce, but there you go. :Smile_teethhappy:

There isn't a balanced approach in game because certain ship types have more appeal and therefore produce more revenue - they, not surprisingly are the ship type that 'performs' best. The other types are of less importance - the bargain bucket if you will. WG will spruce them up with a gimmick or 2, but they will never be allowed to take the place of the money maker. The goal is to get as good a price as possible.

That's good business, makes perfect sense, is very much backed up with thousands of games/evidence over many servers for many years. It will not change, so enjoy the game as it always will be, or choose that ship type that performs better, or enjoy another game. :Smile_honoring:

[KWF]
Members
4,052 posts
6,242 battles
14 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

There are ways to keep the spike damage; the Respawns in Space Assault are an interesting (and well established) work around, but there are others. Until they address and totally rework the way damage is applied over the course of a FULL 20 minute match, they will never get this game to a satisfactory place; they can tweak DD's to be on top and all that does is shift the problem and complaints from them to other classes; the net change is 0.

The past weeks I have been playing almost exclusively DDs, more specifically two extremes on the capability spectrum. Been running around in Kidd and Cossack. The first obviously being superb at ambushing CVs with AA and being a pretty big nuisance and the second with the pitiful AA but excellent surface capabilities. 

Kidd is obvious that she can thrive in such an environment, but I was pleasantly surprised by how well Cossack can  keep on functioning too. I found myself only dropped by the end of the battle since you can hang around a blob at first before moving to contest caps. Proper stealth usage also helped.

The game has definitely changed, dunno if for the worse of better, the jury is still out on that. But we are so quick to forget how half a year ago you could die within the first minutes of a battle by being crossdropped and bombed to oblivion by the numerous squadrons a Hakuryu or Midway could have flying simultaneously.

There is quite a bit room for improvement for sure, and I think once the situation stabilizes and we approach 1 CV per side for tiers VIII as well it will get better.  People are just overreacting a bit since in the olden days CVs were relatively rare whereas now they are common compared to the past.

[CUTE]
Supertester
344 posts
10,059 battles

1. CV re-work is here to stay. Adapt. It sounds like you don't want to learn new ways to mitigate damage intake from air attack. Believe me, CVs are now a shadow of their former glory, but the new mechanics messed with all classes and made CVs even more present in matches of all tiers. But considering how anemic torpedoes and bombs are now, resulting in higher difficulty to inflict more damage - thus rendering xp and credit earning in higher tiers stupidly hard - the numbers of CV players will decrease during the year and will become less common in higher tiers.

2. I still advocate for hard spotting only. Naval engagements during the age of artillery were dependent on visual contact. Radar, although extremely useful, wasn't precise enough to pass down the fleet the exact location of the enemy ship so fire controllers could blindly fire. Only the ship using the consumable should actually "see" the target; the rest of the fleet should only see a position marker in the minimap. ..but this is an arcade game after all and not a simulation (I keep remembering this myself every day), but I agree with OP, spotting should be harder despite of consumables.

3. Yes, more maps (larger, perhaps?) would be nice. The new strom/blizzard front in some maps were a great step towards adding different flavor to known maps, but I feel this game won't be complete if there are no night battles.

4. UI performance, although some recent improvement, still bugs me.

2 hours ago, HansiSolo said:

Stop making AP bombs being deadly

That won't fix the problem. Current CV play is a punishment for reckless play, more than it was before. With or without AP bombs, if you overextend yourself, you camp alone behind island, you hug borders, go YOLO on other ships or won't manage DCP, a CV can and will punish you.

1 hour ago, Ayanami_Kai_Ni said:

Probably means that you've never faced an unicum in his favourite ship. Most ships are deadly in the right hands and even more in the right conditions. 

1 hour ago, _RC1138 said:

CV's are a symptom, not a cause, of the bigger problem

Couldn't agree more. The way damage is rewarded in detriment of other performance (e.g. damage upon spotting, which is barely rewarded) keep us running in circles. 

Edited by Brooklin82
  • Cool 3
  • Meh 1

[USCG]
Members
548 posts
18,486 battles
38 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

For the love of... How many times must it be said? "Infinite planes" is a complete fallacy. Planes can only regen so fast, and unless a carrier player is careful with how they attack they can very easily be deplaned. Just because there's no hard limit stated in-game does not mean that a carrier can spam endlessly without repercussion.

Semi-disagree... Have had a few cases where I was attempting to cap. Seemed like ENDLESS waves of planes either keeping me spotted or attacking me resetting the cap. Is this the new way of things? Perhaps. However, I don’t agree with it, especially compared to the previous style of CV gameplay. 

[5D2]
Supertester
2,311 posts
22,752 battles
28 minutes ago, cgbosn4 said:

Semi-disagree... Have had a few cases where I was attempting to cap. Seemed like ENDLESS waves of planes either keeping me spotted or attacking me resetting the cap. Is this the new way of things? Perhaps. However, I don’t agree with it, especially compared to the previous style of CV gameplay. 

If none are being a hot down they will. You do have infinite replenishment but you ate constricted by the length of the match. Most all planes take 60 or more seconds to replenish, thus it can take up to 12 minutes or more to replace the loss of a sqaudron entirely. If only one or two planes are destroyed per run, well you will basically keep full flights all game. Not arguing, just pointing it out.

[INR]
Members
1,225 posts
4,060 battles

80% of the players hate it.

Do you have hard numbers to support this claim? I, for one, love the rework.

Spotter planes, hydro, radar – it’s all fine, but too many ships have it. And more will come with the Russian BBs.

I've never seen anyone complain about Spotting Aircraft or Hydroacoustic Search since catapult planes don't spot worth a crap, and Hydro is defensive in nature. Russian BB radar may have 15km range, but it only spots BBs and CVs, so it's highly situational and should never bother a DD or CL/CA/CB captain.

New ships on the same old maps ain’t no fun

New maps are in testing.

• Cool 2

Members
460 posts
20,887 battles
1 hour ago, Cruxdei said:

what more do you whinners want?

That is not constructive at all.  Wish people would stop with the name calling.

• Cool 2

[WOLFG]
Members
27,162 posts
7,272 battles
1 hour ago, Ayanami_Kai_Ni said:

Well, if he's played since 8.0 and never been up against a good CV, chances are it's a pretty uncommon occurrence. 

[PISD]
Members
1,020 posts
4,866 battles

We all know it: DDs getting harassed by rocket planes, endless spotting, endless stream of planes, 2 carriers per side, crazy AP bomb damage. It destroys the gameplay, is forcing players to hide and stay in AA blobs. All the positive actions a player can do (scouting, good positioning, pushing) are getting punished by the new CVs instantly.
80% of the players hate it.  And no one likes to be in game with 2 CVs, except guys who enjoy to park a Worcster behind a massive mountain just to shoot down as many planes as possible. 

Rocket plane are barely usable and more often use as the ''sacrificing'' spotter at the start of the game. AO bomb can do great damage on BB... only on BB almost. Cruiser can dodge it quite easily and DD only get overpen. In fact, HE bomb are far more of a problem right now. And it is false to claim that player simply blobs in the back line because of CV: they do that even without CV. A decent team work with 3-4 ships pushing one flank can easily be done even with the CV.

[PVE]
Members
3,835 posts
16,385 battles
2 hours ago, Cruxdei said:

good lord,so  we must get more nerfs because the minority is just too damn good for this game.

No, I think you missed the point: this is WoWs not WoPs......  Carriers are changing the "way we conduct operations and that isn't a good thing....  Carriers are eliminating an entire class ship......both directly and indirectly.  That isn't good.  And, the icing on the cake is that our host used the CV's as yet another sales meta ship gimmick; and, "assumed" everyone would drop what they were doing, just like they with with cruisers and radar and HE span meta; and, bought everything they could find !!!  They expected that !  Any other explanation makes no sense........! 

Carriers should fight carriers.......plane to plane and then, whatever is left of a non growing wing of aircraft (not endless or regenerating) can attack ships.......  Like in real life, where WW2 carriers were attached to SAG's to "protect them from other aircraft;"...........and, when they did go after surface ships, the major combatant types, they had to not die em masse trying: because there was so much AA......  And, just like torpedoes and real world main gun dispersion's, they missed more than they hit........just like everyone else (less the RC controlled bombs the Germans and Japanese tried (Fritz-x and KE-GO and used.....)

Carriers were a minority.  Carriers also changed naval tactics and made the BB obsolete as early as the start of the war !!!     Now, if carriers make any ship class obsolete, the game will fail.....

• Funny 1
  • Meh 2

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

Yep, overall i agree with OP. This game just isnt fun anymore. Most of the battles i have to hide in blobs and lemming trains. Im sure we have players that like this. But i dont, and is pretty clear that others dont like it either. 

• Cool 1

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,288 posts
6,102 battles
15 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

No, I think you missed the point: this is WoWs not WoPs......  Carriers are changing the "way we conduct operations and that isn't a good thing....  Carriers are eliminating an entire class ship......both directly and indirectly.  That isn't good.  And, the icing on the cake is that our host used the CV's as yet another sales meta ship gimmick; and, "assumed" everyone would drop what they were doing, just like they with with cruisers and radar and HE span meta; and, bought everything they could find !!!  They expected that !  Any other explanation makes no sense........! 

Carriers should fight carriers.......plane to plane and then, whatever is left of a non growing wing of aircraft (not endless or regenerating) can attack ships.......  Like in real life, where WW2 carriers were attached to SAG's to "protect them from other aircraft;"...........and, when they did go after surface ships, the major combatant types, they had to not die em masse trying: because there was so much AA......  And, just like torpedoes and real world main gun dispersion's, they missed more than they hit........just like everyone else (less the RC controlled bombs the Germans and Japanese tried (Fritz-x and KE-GO and used.....)

Carriers were a minority.  Carriers also changed naval tactics and made the BB obsolete as early as the start of the war !!!     Now, if carriers make any ship class obsolete, the game will fail.....

DDs are not obsolete,take out the conspiracy hat.

rockets are fragile,deal lower damage than bombs and are mostly used to finish off  damaged ships.

ap bombs are useless on dds and a lot of ships.

the main cry of the month are the HE bombs,specially midway,able to deal 10k dmg if aimed well.

torps have low dmg and if the DD manage to get hit by one,it's absolutely his fault for gettign hit by a slow  and predictable torp.

CVs were the new toy in ww2, it showed  that you could basically make flying destroyers and cruisers.

DDs still have means to avoid planes 90% of the time

-turning off AA

-not overextending away from the team

-using smoke

-if the match only have 1 CV,he can avoid the planes if the CV is busy in another flank

the 2 CV matches are the main problem too,too much vision control,they can focus on more than 1 flank too.

so the main problems are 

-2 CVs per match(according to WG,they put a limit fo 1 CV at tier10,it might carry to the other tiers)

-usn HE bombs

the sky is not falling,the DDs are not obsolete,the sun rises and life goes on.

people are not happy that they need to stay inside "blobs" and "lemming trains". the only class that went all alone on a flank undetected raining torps at everyone were the DDs,and i'm sure the majority of the playerbase are not DD main.

before the rework,people still used to stay with a "blob" and "lemming train",except CV could nuke you with one attack run.

to the players unhappy with the "blob and lemming train" gameplay,i suggest playing world of tanks as a tank destroyer,with that class,you are all alone hiding behind some bush and praying that a light tank don't outspot you.

Edited by Cruxdei
  • Meh 3

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
1,704 posts
4,097 battles
18 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Nope, sorry, you are incorrect.  What CVs are eliminating is sloppy, irresponsible play.

You complain about the "infinite plane" thing that doesn't exist.  The maths have been done, CV's can actually launch less aircraft in a match now, not more.  Complaining about this is like complaining about destroyer's torpedoes, which in real life, they would only have a single reload IF AT ALL.  And all ship types had limited ammunition, which certainly could not be replenished in the timeframe of a single WoWs match, let alone while in combat.  The reasoning behind the "unrealistic" lack of limitations on ammunition is balance.  It would be unsatisfying, and not particularly fun, in an action-y arcade-y shooter game, to be out of the fight due to running out of ammo.  If you're looking for more realism, go and find a warship simulation, which is not what WoWs is.

The game takes place during a time when battleships were becoming obsolete, and carriers were ascending to primacy as a means to project power.  Yes, it can and will be awkward at times, until things get fully ironed out.

Pretty much every ship type has had time in WoWs as the dominant factor, and Wargaming has tried (not always succeeding, not always doing things in a timely fashion, but few game devs can get everything right the first time) to keep that sort of imbalance in check.

CVs are in a better place now than before.  Yes, it's harder for ships to be solo warriors.  Wake up and acknowledge that.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[H_]
Members
745 posts
11,555 battles
33 minutes ago, Gasboy said:

Nope, sorry, you are incorrect.  What CVs are eliminating is sloppy, irresponsible play.

Yeah maybe, but what you are going to lose in my humble opinion is the newer -  mid level players that want to hop on and have fun and not get continually frustrated by one class of ship. No matter what class.  And frankly I'm not sure I'll hang around till it gets "IRONED OUT"..   I'm for sure not spending any more money on the game..

• Cool 1

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
1,704 posts
4,097 battles
36 minutes ago, S16_Hunter said:

Yeah maybe, but what you are going to lose in my humble opinion is the newer -  mid level players that want to hop on and have fun and not get continually frustrated by one class of ship. No matter what class.  And frankly I'm not sure I'll hang around till it gets "IRONED OUT"..   I'm for sure not spending any more money on the game..

Newer players are not exposed to the frustrations of the CV rework plus tier 8's issue of getting into mostly tier 10 matches.  CVs are different beasts at lower tiers, even at middling tiers they are not what the tier 8s and tier 10s are.

Choosing not to spend money on the game is certainly a good way to express your displeasure, and I encourage more people to do so.

• Meh 1