14 comments in this topic

[KNMSU]
Members
4,856 posts
5,133 battles

The entire affair was sickening. The fact that the vessel is still being held is just the rotten cherry on top of a pile of a fail sundae. If things slip back south again with North Korea, we should air strike the Pueblo just to "liberate" it.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Alpha Tester
5,645 posts
2,706 battles
5 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

The fact that the vessel is still being held is just the rotten cherry on top of a pile of a fail sundae. 

And to add insult to injury, they've turned her into a museum glorifying themselves. I'm as surprised that the USN hasn't decommissioned her so that they can't have the satisfaction as I am angered that they didn't just sink her quick and painless.

Alpha Tester
5,645 posts
2,706 battles
11 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

If things slip back south again with North Korea, we should air strike the Pueblo just to "liberate" it.

They shouldn't even wait for things to go back south. Bull Halsey has a quote regarding Pearl Harbour that I like to paraphrase in topics such as these.

[PQUOD]
Members
1,296 posts
8,090 battles

My Dad was finishing out his inactive time obligation to the Navy. When that incident happened he said he was contacted to be on standby. He was in communications and had valuable training that may have been pretty valuable at the time. He said when he seen it on the news he thought "Oh crapola.." Lol 

[WOLF6]
Members
810 posts
6,972 battles

It's exactly what one would expect from a ship named after Pueblo.  That place suuuuucks.

[KNMSU]
Members
4,856 posts
5,133 battles
41 minutes ago, galspanic said:

It's exactly what one would expect from a ship named after Pueblo.  That place suuuuucks.

Kind of the forgotten Colorado municipality, isn't it? I haven't been there - just looked at it on Google Earth. Seems sort of run down.

[WOLF6]
Members
810 posts
6,972 battles
40 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

Kind of the forgotten Colorado municipality, isn't it? I haven't been there - just looked at it on Google Earth. Seems sort of run down.

Yup.  Colorado is this thriving place and even when Pueblo is doing well it feels like a case study for why factory towns are bad.  There's a big prison industry in the area and if you look at the CSUP stadium you can count the parking spaces... like, they really want to be a decent place but it's just the sad armpit of the state.

[KNMSU]
Members
4,856 posts
5,133 battles
36 minutes ago, galspanic said:

Yup.  Colorado is this thriving place and even when Pueblo is doing well it feels like a case study for why factory towns are bad.  There's a big prison industry in the area and if you look at the CSUP stadium you can count the parking spaces... like, they really want to be a decent place but it's just the sad armpit of the state.

Its proximity to the mountains also hurts. If people want to move to Colorado, they want to go somewhere where there is easy access to the high country. Denver, Colorado Springs, Boulder, and Fort Collins are all "right there" humping the side of the Front Range. Pueblo is the odd man out.

Volunteer Moderator
56 posts

Gentlemen, due to the nature of this thread I'd like to remind you to keep things civil. This is a contentious subject for some and could easily go off the rails so we'll be watching this one

[KNMSU]
Members
4,856 posts
5,133 battles
2 minutes ago, Rally_Vincent said:

Gentlemen, due to the nature of this thread I'd like to remind you to keep things civil. This is a contentious subject for some and could easily go off the rails so we'll be watching this one

Volunteer mods? Is that... new?

Alpha Tester
5,645 posts
2,706 battles
26 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

I've definitely never heard of it before.

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,144 posts
39 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

12 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

I've definitely never heard of it before.

They've been around for a while now. The staff held applications for them last month I think. Probably not wise to poke a bear.
On the subject of Pueblo, I'd consider this an on-going event rather than a historical one. Like the mod said, it's bound to cause some folks grief if the discussion isn't handled carefully.
It should also be pointed out that a North Korean ship is also held, but by the Japanese. However it was sunk and all hands were killed at sea, they then raised the ship for study
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Amami-Ōshima

[PQUOD]
Members
1,296 posts
8,090 battles

Yes, I didn't mean for this to go off the rails. I just found the story interesting and the fact it could have extended my dad's service time. No disrespect intended.

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this