Sign in to follow this  
AdmiralThunder

PSA: How to shoot planes down in Co-op with no CV's

6 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
11,262 posts
21,674 battles

Just a reminder that you actually can accomplish the planes down tasks in Co-op even though we still do not have bot CV's yet. I have completed the 3rd stage of the current FSW and that includes the 25 planes down part. I did the 30 planes down for the Exeter event as well.

Here is a reminder/tips on how to do it...

1. Take out a Cruiser that A) has good AA (+ DefAA if possible) and B) has a fighter plane by default for consumables. Something like T6 and T7 US Cruisers. I find Helena works especially well for this if you have it. You want a good ship for AA that has a fighter by default so the matching bot also has a fighter (not a guarantee with non mirrored MM now but usually you match).
  2. Look in the pre-game MM list and see what Cruisers on the bot team, besides yours if there is a match, also have a default fighter (take some time to study them in tech tree so you know).
  3. At spawn watch the distance for red fighters as bots always launch immediately after the game starts. Try and head for those ships. Fighters are active for a minute and then take about a minute 30 sec to cool down. So in 2.5-3 minutes they can launch again which is just about right for running into them around caps. 
  4. Close on the Cruisers you know have fighters, staying  close and in range of your AA, but not so close you are at risk while waiting.
  5. Watch that Cruiser for the fighter to appear and start to launch. Head right for the ship and get close. Launch your fighter and trigger DefAA if you have it as soon as you are in range of your AA and keep charging the bot to get close ( helps shoot them down quicker so someone else doesn't get it).

That is all there is too it. It doesn't exactly encourage smart play or team play but it gets the job done fairly quick. You can get 2-4 fighters out of a run vs one ship depending on it's tier doing this. IF you are lucky enough to be near more than 1 ship with fighters it can be even more down.

You can also get them by taking a DD with decent AA into a cap, letting the Cruisers get close, and then smoking up as soon as they launch and shooting planes down. I don't find it as effective as using a good AA Cruiser and it is even more risky letting Cruisers get so close with a DD.

I had concentrated more on the DD and BB stuff at the start of part 3 of FSW and not the planes. When I got so it was all I needed to finish this AM I needed 9. Took 5 games in Helena = 3/2/0/1/3. The 0 game nothing that had a plane came near me and in the 1 game all there were for planes were BB spotters and I got one at the very end. Got 2 or 3 each game otherwise.

I figured out how to do this in the Exeter event. Once you get the hang of it and have your timing down it is a very effective way to farm plane kills.:cap_rambo:

Hope it helps. :Smile_honoring:

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 2

[HELLS]
Members
2,566 posts
25,472 battles

I needed 9 to finish mine, and was having no luck in my CVs. I got all of the first ones in Co-op but was landing in games that had almost no ships with planes on my side of the map. So I took Massachussetts out in a Random game that luckily had one CV per side. 28 plane kills later, job done. Co-op is an option. I did most of the Co-op ones in DDs with decent AA and got up close and personal before shooting torps at the big boys. Works quite well against fighters or spotters. Helena, Boise and Nueve de Julio would get it done as well probably with their DFAA. Any decent cruiser with DFAA that you are not afraid to tank with in Co-op....

[CO-OP]
[CO-OP]
Members
730 posts
21,308 battles
38 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Just a reminder that you actually can accomplish the planes down tasks in Co-op even though we still do not have bot CV's yet. I have completed the 3rd stage of the current FSW and that includes the 25 planes down part. I did the 30 planes down for the Exeter event as well.

Here is a reminder/tips on how to do it...

1. Take out a Cruiser that A) has good AA (+ DefAA if possible) and B) has a fighter plane by default for consumables. Something like T6 and T7 US Cruisers. I find Helena works especially well for this if you have it. You want a good ship for AA that has a fighter by default so the matching bot also has a fighter (not a guarantee with non mirrored MM now but usually you match).
  2. Look in the pre-game MM list and see what Cruisers on the bot team, besides yours if there is a match, also have a default fighter (take some time to study them in tech tree so you know).
  3. At spawn watch the distance for red fighters as bots always launch immediately after the game starts. Try and head for those ships. Fighters are active for a minute and then take about a minute 30 sec to cool down. So in 2.5-3 minutes they can launch again which is just about right for running into them around caps. 
  4. Close on the Cruisers you know have fighters, staying  close and in range of your AA, but not so close you are at risk while waiting.
  5. Watch that Cruiser for the fighter to appear and start to launch. Head right for the ship and get close. Launch your fighter and trigger DefAA if you have it as soon as you are in range of your AA and keep charging the bot to get close ( helps shoot them down quicker so someone else doesn't get it).

.:cap_rambo:

Hope it helps. :Smile_honoring:

^^ This:cap_like:

Want to stress points 1 and 2.  There are a lot of ships with good AA, that I wouldn't recommend if your farming aircraft kills (e.g. Atlanta, and Cleveland)  Taking a cruiser with fighters increases the odds of a ship with planes will be in the match (the new match-maker, may switch your ship with a similar ship.)  Many battleships will have spotters, but the time for cool-down, means that they won't appear until around the 12-minute mark (most co-op games are over in 5-7 minutes, so it is unlikely that you'll see any of them.)

When the cool-down period is near an end, get close to the target ship (ideally within medium AA range,) and launch your fighters.  This seems to provoke the target ship to launch their's as soon as the cool-down is over.

Don't forget to set you AA field of fire to the appropriate side.

[GWG]
Members
6,715 posts
12,775 battles

On one of the earlier missions...   Catapult fighters/obs planes didn't count.  It was a bummer because I got 12.

Good to hear they fixed that.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,310 posts

Or,  just don't play like you're in a Random game.   Move up, get in fights- the plane kills will come.    I don't even pay attention to it- I'm often surprised at the end to see the icon for a mission advanced at the bottom of the post game screen.   "Wait, what?  When did I kill any planes??"  When I look closer, sure enough- there are ribbons for 3 plane kills, lol.

Imo, going out and looking to blow planes out of the sky, is a sure source of frustration.   Even in Randoms.  Bring an AA ship- there's no CV- and if there is, it avoids you like the plague.   I go about those missions like the damage/ base XP etc grinds: just play, and it'll get done eventually.

However, like the OP said, there's nothing wrong with increasing the odds in your favor.  

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
11,262 posts
21,674 battles
38 minutes ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

Or,  just don't play like you're in a Random game.   Move up, get in fights- the plane kills will come.    I don't even pay attention to it- I'm often surprised at the end to see the icon for a mission advanced at the bottom of the post game screen.   "Wait, what?  When did I kill any planes??"  When I look closer, sure enough- there are ribbons for 3 plane kills, lol.

Imo, going out and looking to blow planes out of the sky, is a sure source of frustration.   Even in Randoms.  Bring an AA ship- there's no CV- and if there is, it avoids you like the plague.   I go about those missions like the damage/ base XP etc grinds: just play, and it'll get done eventually.

However, like the OP said, there's nothing wrong with increasing the odds in your favor.  

I agree. I was just pointing out how to do it if you need to. I had done enough that finishing that task off with 9 planes (got 16 through regular play as you say) finished the entire directive so I focused that. 

Sign in to follow this