You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HallaSnackbar

The fighter consumable, a useful too or just not worth the headache

12 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
821 posts
7,988 battles

The title pretty much sums it up, my observations are as follows; 

Pros- 

1) Can use it to protect friendly ships from unskilled CV captains.

2) Can use it to spot some DD's making follow up attack runs easier (not it's intended use)

3) Can use it to bolster your own AA if you are being focused by the enemy CV.

Cons-

1) You have to fly over the ship you want to protect if you want to drop them which wastes valuable time (especially when said ship is way over extended or across the map)

2) Skilled CV captains know how to negate them (bait them over other fighters or f key to get them to despawn)

3) Every friendly ship no matter how isolated from the team feels it is the CV'S job to bring them fighters on command

4) Because CV's have a fighter consumables if a ship dies to an enemy CV somehow the automatically believe it is the fault of their team's CV for not protecting them.

5) Gives a false sense of security to surface ships with weak aa reducing the importance of staying in groups for better aa cover.

Feel free to let me know if I am missing anything.  I just am beginning to question whether or not we would be better off without this consumable at all.  Also thoughts on increasing individual ship aa but completely eliminating the benefits of stacked aa (highest rating for any given area would be that of the highest aa rated ship at that spot).  Again, I totally agree ship placement and map awareness is a great skill to have, just getting tired of getting on teams where one team stacks aa properly and one does not then listening to people complain about how "our CV sucks" or "CV'S are too op".  I have been on both sides and it is just getting really old.  People refuse to learn and just continue to blame everyone else.  I am afraid it will just lead to more CV nerfs, not because CV'S actually need to be nerfed but because we cannot buff the intelligence of the average potato. 

Edited by HallaSnackbar
  • Cool 2
  • Meh 2

[PISD]
Members
1,006 posts
4,843 battles

Sure it is not perfect. But it's still quite useful.

1) it's not only against unskilled captains that it can work. A capturing DD protected by fighter becomes almost immune to the enemy CV for its duration, giving him and easy windows to capture.

2) it can be use to spot any ships. Place them a 7km from the enemy main fleet (far enough from the AA but close enough to spot) and you give vision to your team while keeping your attack potential.

But there is still issue. Instead of being some ''drop it there'', it should be place on the tactic map (like you do for way point) in order to effectively protect your fleet. But for now I am quite happy with its current state.

[CTG80]
[CTG80]
Members
4,534 posts
13,619 battles

I use it to help protect from enemy fighter/observation aircraft.  Just an added measure and it helps spotting, too.

[5D2]
Supertester
2,309 posts
22,590 battles

Its skill and situation dependant.  Had a game last night where I placed it over a team that worked as small units (2v2 CVs) and shot down 20 some fighters. Played with a scattered team and did nothing with any fighter drops because the red CV just went to a different target.

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,690 posts
5,232 battles

I like it. It does encourage team play. And well placed supporting fighters can keep a teammate alive, and that teammate can go on to achieve things.

Sometimes.

[SALVO]
Members
612 posts
12,839 battles
22 hours ago, HallaSnackbar said:

2) Skilled CV captains know how to negate them (bait them over other fighters or f key to get them to despawn)

I have noticed since the last patch that if I do this, the remaining planes get stuck on the map at the location I hit the F-key, and never return to the carrier.  You can see them on the minimap.  This includes rocket planes that were F-keyed with the fighters well behind the squad.  

[NSEW]
Members
1,712 posts
10,351 battles

Prior to battle start chat.

DD: "A Cap"

Me (CV): "Ok, I'll help A. Furious you go D"

Furious: "ok"

Fast forward to 18:90 mins, enemy Rocket Planes comes to A. I place preemptive Fighters on A cap. I look for my DD, he already turned away. Never to come back, lost to the seas...or the Sirens I don't know.

• Funny 1

[NSEW]
Members
1,712 posts
10,351 battles
On 4/11/2019 at 6:18 PM, HallaSnackbar said:

3) Every friendly ship no matter how isolated from the team feels it is the CV'S job to bring them fighters on command

4) Because CV's have a fighter consumables if a ship dies to an enemy CV somehow the automatically believe it is the fault of their team's CV for not protecting them.

5) Gives a false sense of security to surface ships with weak aa reducing the importance of staying in groups for better aa cover.

The above are all true, provided that the CV player is a competent Captain. 

I've had a North Carolina asking for AA when she was 6km behind a Minotaur and me in a T8 CV (as well as the enemy). I typed in chat, better stay close to Minotaur than my AA help for you.

Beta Testers
63 posts
9,731 battles

I wish they were more useful.  I would like they to remain where placed until removed by the CV player or destroyed.  I.e. you get one placed fighter consumable (2 with superintendent) that you can place on the map, as soon as you place the next one past your limit, the first one de-spawns.  Actually promotes teamwork.

And OP, another pro area plane denial.  Rather than protecting your DD's - you use your fighters to keep enemy planes from spotting your DD's

[SOV]
Members
4,392 posts

The fighter can be very useful.

I wish there was a counter becauae once thoughts planes lock on they kill all of you and They follow you forever.