You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Shenanigans_Abound

Absolutely ridiculous WG

29 comments in this topic

Members
548 posts
7,780 battles

Beyond irritated with wargaming and your stupid “gamecenter” I was so happy to not have the game center installed on my PC.. so I got an email a few days ago talking about “thanks for 2 years” here’s some camos and a 30 percent off coupon. I was happy... looking for the coupon, looking some more (ya know so I could spend more money and continue to support you) .. open the email and get redirected to another page saying, “download for great benefits” oh okay... what’s this then I wondered... MISTAKE!! No where does it say it’s the Game Center or anything related to it. When I saw the gamecenter downloading it was too late. “Would you like to cancel this and remove all wargaming.com content? Are you serious right now? I’m forced to use a program that I don’t want, runs like crap, always has problems, bogs my pc down by constantly running in the background for no reason at all... 

so I said screw it, let it download, maybe they fixed it and made it better? Nope, not even close. 

Updating the PTS since 1 am last night when I made the mistake of clicking download. Sitting at 66%. Never had that issue before i got tricked into this awful program.. it would always download all updates right away, without fail and without a single issue. So I figured, all right, I’ll do what I did before and go into the program and remove JUST the Game Center, worked last time so it shouldn’t be a problem right? That’ll be another big ridiculous NOPE. 

“Remove the gamecenter application files from PC?” Click yes, and then it starts uninstalling and I’m thinking, hell yeah it’s gonna work... glance at the screen to see it uninstalling my PTS and my actual game client... (ya know, again with no prompt it would also remove my games) 

so here I am... again... redownloading a game that was running, updating and operating just fine until I was tricked into getting the gamecenter. So thank you wargaming. Thank you for claiming to “listen” to your players who’ve been telling you for over a year that your gamecenter is garbage, it works like matches underwater and has never been a “cool and great” feature as you’ve been claiming it to be  

So while I was hoping to play a few games before I got going with my day I’m instead sitting here writing this post, watching my game be reinstalled... again... because of your “great” feature. 

The part that cracks me up about all of this though, you introduced premium time exclusive to warships for the people who play ONLY warships.. but the people who play ONLY warships still have this ridiculously unnecessary program crammed down our throats. 

So this will be my last go with this game, one more issue from gamecenter (ya know since I’m forced to download it with the re install) and I give up until it’s gone. Been playing for 2 years and will gladly walk away due to one extra program you deem “GREAT” that’s really just a dumpster fire to just try and push other games onto people who have no interest in any of your other games.

So to you WG I say well done, you’re doing a great job once again of pushing away more of your dedicated player base who’ve been with you for multiple years, spending money with you, defending you and supporting you. 

Edited by Shenanigans_Abound
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 7

[USCC]
Members
2,755 posts
12,006 battles

I know when the WGC first came out it had issues, but nothing as of late that I'm aware of.

I've been using it for a long time now, and it's not a problem, you can also close it after the game is launched.

I never bother with that, as it runs quite fine in the BG with all but nothing drawing from my PC.

Give it a try honestly, it's a non issue now.

• Cool 3
  • Meh 1

[--K--]
Members
6,588 posts
14,334 battles

So if my memory serves me right, you can disable the game center from starting automatically and start the game from the exe file. 

So you pretty much only have to use it when updating?? 

I fail to see why this is such a big issue for people to the point of tantrums like this. 

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

Members
548 posts
7,780 battles
1 minute ago, SpudZero said:

I know when the WGC first came out it had issues, but nothing as of late that I'm aware of.

I've been using it for a long time now, and it's not a problem, you can also close it after the game is launched.

I never bother with that, as it runs quite fine in the BG with all but nothing drawing from my PC.

Give it a try honestly, it's a non issue now.

I did try to give it a try, but as I said, it had been downloading my PTS update since 1 am last night whereas before I never had a single issue with any updates downloading quickly, efficiently and without fail. Enter -gamecenter and BAM, instant issues downloading an update. Only thing that changed since the last updates was gamecenter so it made it pretty easy to narrow down the problem. Now I’m really irritated I have to reinstall PTS and the regular game client. 

• Meh 2

Members
548 posts
7,780 battles
Just now, Ducky_shot said:

So if my memory serves me right, you can disable the game center from starting automatically and start the game from the exe file. 

I fail to see why this is such a big issue for people to the point of tantrums like this. 

I always disable it after I start the game up and it’s a big deal because if my games update just fine without gamecenter why is WG making it a necessary program in the first place? Why do I need a whole other program to update a game that already updates? Advertisement that’s why, nothing more. That’s the only purpose it serves. 

• Cool 1
  • Meh 3

[PVE]
Members
3,777 posts
16,132 battles
16 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

That's a simple answer:  some Anti-virus packages HATE WGC for some reason !!!  I've been down this path and the IT crew that maintains my gaming rig had a few fits trying to work around "required anti-virus" packages and WGC...  I can't mention Software names but, several have new AV check routines that false-positive that software.... A variant of one AV pkg blocked the site without warning or posting the fault it had in the logs !   

Why, the RNG GoD knows but, for me and my gaming rig, I had to work around WGC for reasons I have no clue of !

[HINON]
Members
420 posts
4,094 battles
6 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

That's a simple answer:  some Anti-virus packages HATE WGC for some reason !!!  I've been down this path and the IT crew that maintains my gaming rig had a few fits trying to work around "required anti-virus" packages and WGC...  I can't mention Software names but, several have new AV check routines that false-positive that software.... A variant of one AV pkg blocked the site without warning or posting the fault it had in the logs !   

Why, the RNG GoD knows but, for me and my gaming rig, I had to work around WGC for reasons I have no clue of !

Antivirus might see the automatic download and install code of the game center as potential malware

[WOLF7]
Members
5,113 posts

Not sure why people have all the problems with it.  Once you fix the settings to that it doesn't launch on its own when you start up, and it goes away completely when you close it, it's been just fine.  

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
5,113 posts
1 minute ago, zucchinibob said:

Antivirus might see the automatic download and install code of the game center as potential malware

Since it's not like only WG's launcher does that, I'm not sure that should be an issue either.  Sure, follow its tracks and make sure what data it's calling home with, but that's not difficult to check on.  It's just checking versions periodically when it's open.  I don't open it unless I'm going to play.  

It does help if you know when to be paranoid, and what to be paranoid about, and ignore the stuff that doesn't matter...

[-K-]
Members
8,020 posts
13,215 battles
1 hour ago, Ducky_shot said:

Because I need to be noticed and you need to hear about it.

• Funny 1

[--K--]
Members
6,588 posts
14,334 battles
49 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Because I need to be noticed and you need to hear about it.

Still don't like you... 

:Smile_trollface:

[WORX]
Members
9,485 posts
17,499 battles

The OP is about a year and a half late to the WGC discussion. No lie I haven;t seen these kind of threads since 2017!

This is not a valid argument to justify the OP logic/reasoning/distorted thinking of his post.

ITs 2019 man! WGC has been archived old news a long time ago.

Beta Testers
2,088 posts
2,379 battles
2 hours ago, Shenanigans_Abound said:

I always disable it after I start the game up and it’s a big deal because if my games update just fine without gamecenter why is WG making it a necessary program in the first place? Why do I need a whole other program to update a game that already updates? Advertisement that’s why, nothing more. That’s the only purpose it serves. 

Curious as to how your game updates without a launcher running? I've yet to see the worldofwarships.exe perform an update on it's own.

2 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

Funny, been using Bitdefender for years & not once has it had any issues with any of WG's games. Always seems to be the lower end ones that do.

Members
548 posts
7,780 battles
7 minutes ago, Sandman1969 said:

Curious as to how your game updates without a launcher running? I've yet to see the worldofwarships.exe perform an update on it's own.

Funny, been using Bitdefender for years & not once has it had any issues with any of WG's games. Always seems to be the lower end ones that do.

My game updates automatically because I always have it open on the launcher. I never close it all the way out. The computer is only used for playing the game. Maybe once or twice a week I’ll get on YouTube on it and that’s it. 90 percent strictly for gaming so there is no reason to close the launcher. 

Beta Testers
2,088 posts
2,379 battles
12 hours ago, Shenanigans_Abound said:

My game updates automatically because I always have it open on the launcher. I never close it all the way out. The computer is only used for playing the game. Maybe once or twice a week I’ll get on YouTube on it and that’s it. 90 percent strictly for gaming so there is no reason to close the launcher. 

The original launcher is being replaced by the game center. So without the game center, you get no updates.

[187]
Members
1,626 posts
10,776 battles

Well in WoW defense of it's product it offers the "Fix" option as well as easily pre-installing patches so on patch day ur not borked waiting as well as being able to download any "Test" phases of things they throw up to be apart of...cool little launcher that does have its benefits...after clicking launch on the game I close it up no issues doing that...the game itself closes slow as crap and I know this is a known thing...it just doesn't want to let you go but when it closes no issues...and I do play tanks as well so it is nice that both games are kept up to date when launching it.

[LOU1]
Members
4,085 posts
11,334 battles

One thing that can trigger the antivirus software is that WGC establishes an outward bound connection.  When your game crashes, WGC uses this to automatically send in a crash/error log to help correct the issue.  The AV does not like unauthorized outward bound connections, so I had to create an exception for WGC in my AV software.