You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Des Moines vs Salem

10 comments in this topic

[DRNX]
Members
444 posts
10,149 battles

Now that I finally have the DM legendary mod and am having incredible games in it is it worth getting the Salem? I can play her as a more aggressive DM with a super heal to spice things up and get a completely different experience playing her instead of the DM. What are your opinions of this? I have around 100k coal saved up so far and the Yashino is probably months away from being released. TIA

[ARGSY]
Members
18,182 posts
12,637 battles
28 minutes ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Now that I finally have the DM legendary mod and am having incredible games in it is it worth getting the Salem?

In my opinion, no. The reason I got the Salem is that she offered T10 play at T7 service-cost prices, giving me a T10 Ranked and Clan Battles-capable ship that I could afford to spam in multiple battles. She's a Des Moines for people who can't afford a Des Moines permacamo.

If you are happy in the Des Moines, I'm not sure the Salem would offer you much more. If you really, really want a second "DM" that you can milk first-win XP in, then by all means. But I would sit and wait, and if the Yoshino comes into the armoury before the Salem leaves it (IF it leaves it), wait and see what the Yoshino is like in the big wide world before deciding.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
19,835 posts
11,995 battles
41 minutes ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Now that I finally have the DM legendary mod and am having incredible games in it is it worth getting the Salem? I can play her as a more aggressive DM with a super heal to spice things up and get a completely different experience playing her instead of the DM. What are your opinions of this? I have around 100k coal saved up so far and the Yashino is probably months away from being released. TIA

9 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

In my opinion, no. The reason I got the Salem is that she offered T10 play at T7 service-cost prices, giving me a T10 Ranked and Clan Battles-capable ship that I could afford to spam in multiple battles. She's a Des Moines for people who can't afford a Des Moines permacamo.

If you are happy in the Des Moines, I'm not sure the Salem would offer you much more. If you really, really want a second "DM" that you can milk first-win XP in, then by all means. But I would sit and wait, and if the Yoshino comes into the armoury before the Salem leaves it (IF it leaves it), wait and see what the Yoshino is like in the big wide world before deciding.

I would say yes. Not only do you get the credit benefits that Ensign talked about, but the AA on the Salem is better. There are no short range 20mm AA guns, so the mid range 76.2mm with the 11-13 flak clouds cover from 0km to 4km. You can set up Salem for full AA and Des Moines for regular fighting. I respec'd my 19pt DM cmdr for survivability and will build a full AA Cmdr for Salem. I still kept the AA mod 1 on DM to make the mid range flak clouds 13 and the long range 7 clouds.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
18,182 posts
12,637 battles
Just now, Kizarvexis said:

You can set up Salem for full AA and Des Moines for regular fighting.

The trick here is knowing whether you are going to face carriers. Unless you are regularly divving with one, you cannot be sure your airplane-munching death-barge is going to be at its best.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,182 posts
12,637 battles
Just now, RagingxMarmoset said:

Check out Mejash on YouTube. He has a nice Salem "is it worth it?" review, directly contrasting her with Des Moines. 

Bear in mind that CC's and other prominent WOWS players on YT are more likely to run premium time, buy permacamo, have gazillions of credits and/or doubloons won through intense frequent play, and have been in the game long enough to have had Des Moines for ages, making the Salem automatically a less attractive proposition to them from the economic angle. They might or might not perceive this aspect of the tradeoffs between the two ships.

[PVE]
Members
19,835 posts
11,995 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The trick here is knowing whether you are going to face carriers. Unless you are regularly divving with one, you cannot be sure your airplane-munching death-barge is going to be at its best.

But, but CVs rule the game!! :Smile_teethhappy: 

That is true, but when the premium CVs finally arrive, I think the pent up 'I wanna' for a few of them will cause a CV-pocalypse for a bit.

[SOFOP]
Members
2,205 posts
13,199 battles

Once you get used to running a DM with the legendary mod, running a DM without it can seem really, painfully, slooooow.  Hope they release the same legendary module for the Salem, but thats probably not going to happen.

[WLDD]
Members
119 posts
5,944 battles

I’ve been in this dilemma for months.

I have the coal for Salem and permacamao for my most played T10, Des Moines.

I think they are different enough to be worth having both.  Set up Salem for longer range play and DM for in close locking down map spots.  I suspect the super heal is more useful when you are far enough away that you don’t get dev struck...and then you don’t miss the extra radar range.

My son and I spent several very enjoyable hours on Salem last June on the last day of a family trip.  That biases me in favor of it.

For me, I do not have JB, and I’m more likely to sit on the coal and wait until I can get both so if one leaves early, I can grab it.

I have a similar dilemma on my steel.  Continue saving for balansgrad which I’m not terribly interested in, or pull the trigger on Black which I really want.  I have Fletcher and Chung Mu, and love both...with Black being a little of each.  I also have Alaska and Kronstadt, plus there are Stalins on both teams in nearly every CB this season...so I see the value it has for my clan.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
383 posts

Salem is worth it especially if you do not have a Premium account.  Being able to play T10 without going broke...amazing concept.

• Cool 1