You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

I like CV. Yes, kill me now, but first...

13 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
18,363 posts
12,767 battles

...can anyone give me hints on, or direct me to appropriate YouTube resources regarding, the optimal use of the fighter consumable and all its subtleties, ins and outs?

"The long hoped-for bullet was entering his brain. He loved Big Brother reworked carriers."

• Cool 4

[PEEDZ]
Members
64 posts
17,366 battles

The CV Clubber Code requires abstinence from the use of fighters. The more of your team that dies the more time to farm! 

No but seriously, there are snippets from Yuro’s CV vids and a lot of twitch streamers (gaishu doesn’t really drop fighters on his teammates >:D) take a look at them. The general rule of thumb is to use it sparingly. Use fighters to deter enemy CVs from attacking friendly ships that have DCP-Ed, drop them over DDs (enemy or allied)in cap, place them outside of AA range but within spotting range of enemy ships to spot for the team. Don’t be that guy who drops a fighter first leg of the match when he sees the enemy CVs rockets coming and drops them in the projected path (they just turn away, literally no reason to) 

sekrit dokûmounts - when enemy CV is locked in a attack sequence drop fighter where they end up so fighters aggro immediately >:D. 

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,087 posts
5,771 battles

I am by no means an expert.. But I tend to drop a few over allies when its reasonably convenient...   I don't think they work that well to protect honestly in that regard. ..they never seem to stop 1st attack so I tend to drop on backside of ships so it picks up the remaining squads on its way past the ship after attack.  Seems like I get more reliable damage and will usually take out rest of squad.   If dropped on 1st approach it feels like many times they lock on 1st small group after attack and get pulled away as they return to ship after making attack run.  Leaving the remaining planes to do their business unharmed.   I've yet to quite figure out the timing really.    I'm not going to lie I will sometimes drop them on enemy DCAP as its 5-6 easy plane kills (xp)for me.   They make good area spotters, for DDs mainly... allows me to get accurate attacks with planes because it can keep them spotted when I would lose detection without them.  Also allows teammates to see it while I pursue something else.     They are pretty useful when attacking other CVs for pulling off their own CAP.     All in all that consumable feels really unfinished and still pretty obscure.       

Beta Testers
671 posts
2,542 battles
7 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

...can anyone give me hints on, or direct me to appropriate YouTube resources regarding, the optimal use of the fighter consumable and all its subtleties, ins and outs?

"The long hoped-for bullet was entering his brain. He loved Big Brother reworked carriers."

Never go out of your way to protect someone else, unless he's extremely needed.

Avoid going after cruisers and DDs if the enemy have juicy BBs, it's easier to hit and those ruin the day for your friendly cruisers.

Rule of thumb for TBs:

USN - Aim a ships lenght ahead
IJN - Aim slightly ahead (half a ship lenght or less)
RN - Aim somewhat ahed (half a ship lenght or more)

Reduce the lead if the target is making a curve.

For attackers:
IJN - Aim at superstructure
USN - Don't use tiny tim until T10
RN - Don't use them unless needed

For bombers:
IJN - Against cruisers, drop at max altitude, against BBs, wait 2~3 seconds.
USN - You can't hit DDs as often as before but you can still try, I suggest avoiding them until there are no more safe targets.
RN - BBs or Carriers only until T10.

Don't stop at respawn, move with your team, on the last ships you can move really close to your team to provide AA cover and another target for the enemy to split their shells.

• Cool 1

[TARK]
Members
5,273 posts
2,153 battles

Fighter use

Defensive: Remember they take a few seconds to spawn. Drop ahead of where you expect the ship you are protecting to be. Dont do this for kills...do this to make the enemy CV go away.

Offensive: Want to strike that battleship but he popped his fighters? Attack into his fighter bubble on full boost. Speed through and drop your fighters behind you once you have the enemy fighters following you. Your fighters should fight his fighters. Yours will lose (AA will be shooting them) but the enemy fighters wont have much remaining power.

If you do it too late, be sure to attack the enemy ship immediately through your spawned fighter bubble and your fighters SHOULD engage his before your strike gets there... 

• Cool 2

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,622 posts
7 hours ago, Addison_Wang said:

Don’t be that guy who drops a fighter first leg of the match when he sees the enemy CVs rockets coming and drops them in the projected path (they just turn away, literally no reason to)

I have slaughtered untold numbers of rocket planes doing exactly that.  You overestimate the situational awareness of the players that are playing CVs right now. :Smile_veryhappy:.

This will likely change as the meta settles down and they go back to their "normal" ships but right now, they often just keep heading right for the fighters.  I don't think they even know that they have a mini map.....or boost.

[CUTE]
Supertester
344 posts
10,059 battles

YouTube/Twitch reference material I usually find in Aerroon's (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLOQoJ6G4D04d05fxjfPHPQ/featured and https://www.twitch.tv/aerroon) and in Farazelleth' channels (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxF2lm5U1ihA5dPzg-rE0OQ and https://www.twitch.tv/farazelleth). A quick search in Youtube/Twitch of the keywords WoWs and CV will give you a plethora of entries. Just pick one the ones you like as all of them address the basics of CV play in their own manner.

Besides, learn how to dodge flak and how to approach your target in a curved path. It takes some time to learn, but brings excellent rewards.

Bonus: you can use your fighters to keep the enemy fleet spotted by dropping behind the enemy fleet a squadron of fighters. Just make sure you drop them ~7km away from any ship so they stay outside AA defense, but still inside detection range. This is also useful to keep that enemy CV spotted for you team once it's within range of capital ships in your team.

Edited by Brooklin82

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,099 posts
18,104 battles

Use fighters to block enemy planes from going to a particular place they really want to be, and put them there at least 5-10 seconds in advance because the AI is mega-stupid. In KotS, one popular strategy was to sprint to the middle cap and drop fighters right in the place where your destroyer would enter the B cap, whether the DD was actually going there or not -- it discouraged the enemy CV from sending planes there to spot him, or cost him a bunch of planes to call your bluff.

Other than that, you can use fighters to:

• Airspot enemy destroyers so you can line up a rocket run
  • Airspot enemy fleet so you can send your bombers elsewhere
  • Deny enemy approach angles on particularly vulnerable ships (put them in the approach path a few km out from the ship)
  • Punish enemy bombers for striking a target (put them in the exit path)
  • Negate enemy fighters if you can drop them so that the fighters aggro each other

Under optimal conditions, you drop the fighters someplace that's on your way as you go to strike the enemy, to save time.

Beta Testers
803 posts
4,855 battles
49 minutes ago, ALROCHA said:

Never go out of your way to protect someone else, unless he's extremely needed.

Avoid going after cruisers and DDs if the enemy have juicy BBs, it's easier to hit and those ruin the day for your friendly cruisers.

Rule of thumb for TBs:

For attackers:

For bombers:
USN - You can't hit DDs as often as before but you can still try, I suggest avoiding them until there are no more safe targets.

Don't stop at respawn, move with your team, on the last ships you can move really close to your team to provide AA cover and another target for the enemy to split their shells.

Id say use them if its on a Cruiser, they can actually do some major damage. I've hit for 10k on Ibuki's and Zaos. Even Alaska can take a good hit from rockets. They do work better if you fire them at the side of the ship

Beta Testers
671 posts
2,542 battles
32 minutes ago, Carrier_Graf_Zeppelin said:

Id say use them if its on a Cruiser, they can actually do some major damage. I've hit for 10k on Ibuki's and Zaos. Even Alaska can take a good hit from rockets. They do work better if you fire them at the side of the ship

Yes, indeed, but only T8 Rockets, T6 are really bad and it's better to line up a Torp or even try DB.

[NSEW]
Members
1,726 posts
10,368 battles
10 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I second this. Help the Devils advocates/incarnates. 

In all honesty, not many resources (updated) that are relevant with current changes with CV stuff.

[NSEW]
Members
1,726 posts
10,368 battles
3 hours ago, ALROCHA said:

For attackers:

For bombers:

The other posts are all sound advice. However, I am looking for something more "technical", in terms of how to improve like above.  Like which upgrades are worth it for each nation tree. Which planes are better at what situations. Which Captain skills are in harmony of the said configurations, etc.

Advises such as, don't do this or that helps. Don't get me wrong, and it is helpful. But I'm looking for extra credit materials here. :)

[WOLF6]
Members
1,568 posts
5,012 battles
11 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Optimal use of the fighter consumable is often for it to act as a deterrence to a strike on a ship that is in a vulnerable position i.e poor AA surrounding and/or isolated from the rest of the team. Some players will leave themselves open to a CV strike through poor positioning though on occasion it helps greatly with a ship trying to initiate a push.

Good CV players know exactly what they are going to target going into a match and with what. Anticipate this. Musashi? That's a good example of CV yum yums. Ships like that become isolated by over so much as 6km its all over but the crying.

Do not try to intercept a squadron enroute with a fighter consumable. It takes a good 5-10 secs often for a fighter squad to come out of orbit and engage. Once they do they shred everything. Only the fastest aircraft can boost away.

Also the only time a fighter consumable is good for extended spotting is over a lone DD with poor AA. If you are engaging that DD dump it just before you make your last run.

Another one is only dump a fighter over a DD if you are next to positive aircraft are going to spot and attack it. Otherwise the fighter is basically just screaming 'DD HERE <===='.

Edited by Sumseaman