You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Zaydin

Fix CVs awful autopilot already

31 comments in this topic

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,627 posts
10,486 battles

Complained about it before, gonna complain about it again: FIX CARRIERS AUTOPILOT LOGIC. Get rid of the 'going into reverse' claptrap because more often than not it gets me sunk! IT's god damn useless and I don't know why anyone would want that sort of logic; if I want to go in reverse I'll just hit S.

Oh wait, in order to manually control my ship, I need to recall aircraft. Here's another suggestion, WG: Let CVs freaking switch between aircraft and ship without having to recall. Give us an option to order the currently airborne squad to climb to 'Immune to AA height' and circle, disable their spotting abilities while circling and let us manually control our ship that way.

• Cool 3

Members
6,030 posts
7,048 battles

Or, WG could simply just give CVs control of engine speed back while in map view/mode (the map you get when you press "M").

I'm fine with leaving turning up to waypoints, I just want to make sure I'm not gonna go flank speed from a dead stop if I don't need to. Or slow down as I'm on the way to whatever destination I've set with waypoints.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
19,833 posts
11,995 battles
2 hours ago, Zaydin said:

Complained about it before, gonna complain about it again: FIX CARRIERS AUTOPILOT LOGIC. Get rid of the 'going into reverse' claptrap because more often than not it gets me sunk! IT's god damn useless and I don't know why anyone would want that sort of logic; if I want to go in reverse I'll just hit S.

Well, it was done so that if you ran into an island, you could back up without recalling the planes.

2 hours ago, Zaydin said:

Oh wait, in order to manually control my ship, I need to recall aircraft. Here's another suggestion, WG: Let CVs freaking switch between aircraft and ship without having to recall. Give us an option to order the currently airborne squad to climb to 'Immune to AA height' and circle, disable their spotting abilities while circling and let us manually control our ship that way.

The problem is controlling the ship and planes at the same time, when other players can only control their ship. The idea of circling and not spotting while controlling the CV sounds good and might work. The planes should still be spotted if a red ship is in their range tho, so you can not use this to ambush a ship by hiding planes above the AA. The reds could see them, but not shoot at them. Maybe make the minimap able to move the planes at high altitude if some ship parks under you and is spotted by your team, so you will be less likely to be ambushed as well?

1 hour ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Or, WG could simply just give CVs control of engine speed back while in map view/mode (the map you get when you press "M").

I'm fine with leaving turning up to waypoints, I just want to make sure I'm not gonna go flank speed from a dead stop if I don't need to. Or slow down as I'm on the way to whatever destination I've set with waypoints.

Having the ability to set engine speed in map mode would be cool while you are setting waypoints to turn.

1 hour ago, turbo07 said:

Thank you for your feedback. I see. At the moment, the autopilot works this way, sorry for some inconveniences it causes.
We are currently working on a new version of autopilot, which will become more understandable and convenient. As soon as we are ready to share the first details, we will certainly publish this information on our official resources.

I hope the CV AI driving rework will highlight reverse portions in red, so that you will know that the AI intends to reverse that portion. Maybe shade the lines to the speed set and allow speed settings for each line segment? Would be something to do in the 30 seconds or so I usually have before battle start. Would you pass these on please turbo?

Please and thank you. <O

• Cool 1

[O-PN]
Members
2,626 posts
5,775 battles

The current waypoint system is a joke.  You can run islands like any heavy cruiser no problem, try to do clean waypoints and the stupid thing runs aground.  This is just being lazy.  It's an easy fix to a junk system.  ALL SHIPS suffer this nonsense. FIX IT

• Cool 2

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,266 posts
2 hours ago, turbo07 said:

Thank you for your feedback. I see. At the moment, the autopilot works this way, sorry for some inconveniences it causes.
We are currently working on a new version of autopilot, which will become more understandable and convenient. As soon as we are ready to share the first details, we will certainly publish this information on our official resources.

I'll ask the thirteenth time... how about just giving me the option to CTRL + LMB click on my minimap so I can at least control my ship from "The Battle View" display instead of having to hit the M key, orient myself on the map (which you cannot zoom or move about in any mannter) then do my CTRL + LMB click then press Esc or M key again then locate myself in combat.. 

Seriously, just give us the CTRL + LMB on the minimap - it's already capable of being resized. It'd nearly be a Godsend. 

• Cool 2

[JASH]
Members
3,781 posts
12,425 battles

You may be waiting for quite a while for this to be fixed. The list of problems or bugs this game has or had only continues to grow. Some problems have never really gone away, some are resolved then come back again later, even so repeatedly.

[WOLFG]
Members
27,102 posts
7,217 battles
1 hour ago, NoSoMo said:

ALL SHIPS suffer this nonsense. 

People use autopilot on other ships?

• Funny 1

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,307 posts

CV driving backwards has been in since PTS.  If driving backwards caused DDs to have at least the perception of sinking faster this issue would have been dealt with in a micro patch right away.

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,054 posts
5,674 battles
3 hours ago, turbo07 said:

Good to know because currently it is completely obscene how bad it can be at times........  

[PVE]
Members
19,833 posts
11,995 battles
2 minutes ago, RA6E_ said:

Good to know because currently it is completely obscene how bad it can be at times........  

It's the way I always drove CVs, even in RTS, so it doesn't bother me at all. More functionality and something to let you know a leg will be in reverse would be extremely welcome tho.

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,054 posts
5,674 battles
10 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

It's the way I always drove CVs, even in RTS, so it doesn't bother me at all. More functionality and something to let you know a leg will be in reverse would be extremely welcome tho.

Yea... it seems to have some odd logic at times on direction. Most of the time I know to give it a lot of detail.... I get along with it most of the time...  Really sucks when you plot a path away from danger and then get distracted flying plans only to look back and realized it thought it could do it better in reverse and its still sitting pretty much right where you left it.   Almost always happens when you are in a tough fight to get away from something close and having to multi-task with it.      I do however find the reverse to be pretty good for ducking an incoming batch of torps... Hear the indicator.....quick plot in the direct rear and it will stop almost on a dime....    Good for OH view WSAD hacks/torp beat.....  It seems just as FUBAR now as it was the 1st day of closed test.   it was widely griped about then....I seem to remember one listed improvement in the patching then, but  didn't seem to help a lot.     Low priority item I suppose?    

[PVE]
Members
19,833 posts
11,995 battles
2 minutes ago, RA6E_ said:

Yea... it seems to have some odd logic at times on direction. Most of the time I know to give it a lot of detail.... I get along with it most of the time...  Really sucks when you plot a path away from danger and then get distracted flying plans only to look back and realized it thought it could do it better in reverse and its still sitting pretty much right where you left it.   Almost always happens when you are in a tough fight to get away from something close and having to multi-task with it.      I do however find the reverse to be pretty good for ducking an incoming batch of torps... Hear the indicator.....quick plot in the direct rear and it will stop almost on a dime....    Good for OH view WSAD hacks/torp beat.....  It seems just as FUBAR now as it was the 1st day of closed test.   it was widely griped about then....I seem to remember one listed improvement in the patching then, but  didn't seem to help a lot.     Low priority item I suppose?    

Good to know on the torp beats. I'm still getting the timing down in co-op, so I don't dodge many torps yet.

I think the delay is more likely a complete overhaul of the waypoint system and AI driving base on some reading between the lines.

[NUWES]
Members
2,909 posts
9,580 battles
6 hours ago, Zaydin said:

They aren't ever going to allow direct control of the CV while flying the planes. They specifically want that to be a limitation. They've said so repeatedly. That being said they do need to add some logic to the autopilot. 

The reverse is an annoying issue.When you plot a course with the "M'" key plotting room view the CV will sometimes interpret that as a "move in reverse" rather than the "hard turn" you are really trying to do. What would help is if something would give you an alert while you are flying the planes that the CV is reversing. Maybe similar to the collision alarm or a representation of the ship's telegraph like on the other ships even if you can't manipulate the telegraph to change speeds. On the subject of the collision alarm, what I would really love is a dedicated collision avoidance mode for the CVs. You don't want it on for other ships, but you do for the CV because you are almost never controlling it directly and it will run itself aground if you pass anywhere near a island. They need a dedicated mode that you can turn on so the CV will avoid colliding or running into the map edge. Right now the anti-collision can only be turned on or off for all your ships. 

[WOLFG]
Members
8,538 posts
6,858 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

People use autopilot on other ships?

I've always known it was there, but never thought to use it.

[WOLFG]
Members
27,102 posts
7,217 battles
1 hour ago, Tzarevitch said:

On the subject of the collision alarm, what I would really love is a dedicated collision avoidance mode for the CVs. You don't want it on for other ships, but you do for the CV because you are almost never controlling it directly and it will run itself aground if you pass anywhere near a island. They need a dedicated mode that you can turn on so the CV will avoid colliding or running into the map edge. Right now the anti-collision can only be turned on or off for all your ships. 

Never thought of that. It's a little cumbersome, but I might try turning avoidance on whenever I play a CV.

[SYJ]
Members
126 posts
11,093 battles

Also, i'd like to be able to switch my AA focus or secondaries focus for that matter without having to F key recall.

• Cool 1

[S-N-D]
Members
3,270 posts
7,658 battles
6 hours ago, turbo07 said:

Do not get rid of reverse. If you allow CVs to move on their own that's fine but with the autopilot we need a reverse. 

Edited by _Caliph_

[PVE]
Members
19,833 posts
11,995 battles
6 minutes ago, gatorken said:

Also, i'd like to be able to switch my AA focus or secondaries focus for that matter without having to F key recall.

YES!

Please make it a set of keys to swap the AA. Pulling up the screen is too much.

Just now, _Caliph_ said:

No. Do not get rid of reverse. If you allow CVs to move on their own that's fine but with the autopilot we need a reverse. Damn the occasional error.

Agree. But it sounds to me like they are keeping the reverse and are just making the AI conning officer a better driver.

[S-N-D]
Members
3,270 posts
7,658 battles
1 minute ago, Kizarvexis said:

Agree. But it sounds to me like they are keeping the reverse and are just making the AI conning officer a better driver.

One must exercise caution, Comrade. Issue with reverse in auto pilot? Solve by removing reverse!

Edited by _Caliph_

[PVE]
Members
19,833 posts
11,995 battles
3 minutes ago, _Caliph_ said:

Do not get rid of reverse. If you allow CVs to move on their own that's fine but with the autopilot we need a reverse. 

2 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

1 minute ago, _Caliph_ said:

One must exercise caution,

Comrade. Issue with reverse in auto pilot? Solve by removing reverse!

I was confused, but I think I have it. You are saying that they might do the bolded instead. :Smile_teethhappy: Yeah, unintended consequences.

From everything @turbo07, @iKami and the others have said, they want to keep reverse, just make it better so unintentionally getting a reverse leg on the map is pretty much eliminated. Based on my reading of between the lines on WGs comments, I think they are redoing the whole system to fix the reverse issue and to make the whole system better.

Note, they may have stated this outright and I think they did, but since my memory is faulty, I'm hedging my bets. :)

[S-N-D]
Members
3,270 posts
7,658 battles
1 minute ago, Kizarvexis said:

I was confused, but I think I have it. You are saying that they might do the bolded instead. :Smile_teethhappy: Yeah, unintended consequences.

From everything @turbo07, @iKami and the others have said, they want to keep reverse, just make it better so unintentionally getting a reverse leg on the map is pretty much eliminated. Based on my reading of between the lines on WGs comments, I think they are redoing the whole system to fix the reverse issue and to make the whole system better.

Note, they may have stated this outright and I think they did, but since my memory is faulty, I'm hedging my bets. :)

In the interim whatever path you wish to navigate make a 1/4 inch straight line first in either reverse or forward and it should alleviate the issue.

[PVE]
Members
19,833 posts
11,995 battles
1 minute ago, _Caliph_ said:

In the interim whatever path you wish to navigate make a 1/4 inch straight line first in either reverse or forward and it should alleviate the issue.

I do. I click a point off to the side & front and then one back the way I came. As long as the turns are not too tight, it works well.

[A-CUP]
Members
1,023 posts
8,230 battles

Ya, I kinda hate needing to to make a U-turn course using 2-3 points.....This reverse keeps screwing things up... They should only allow reverse when the players gives the order, and auto only forward.

[NG-NL]
Members
6,143 posts
9,801 battles
9 hours ago, Zaydin said:

Learn to direct the autopilot between launching squadrons as well as position behind your team.

The reversing ticked me off for a while until figured out this trick.

• Meh 1