You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
giovybez

Easter Eggs in the textures

30 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Members
3,246 posts
25,387 battles

In getting away from some of the subject matter that has been dominating the general forum lately I've decided to share with you my amigos, some Easter eggs I've come across throughout my years of skinning rusty botes.  Some of them are self explanatory but others I've failed to make a connection. So if anyone knows the significance and how they relate to the ship they were found on, let me know in the comments.  

Algerie:

ZqjaL60.png

Wickes:

Bmw5Sge.png

Prinz Eugen:

fElTA3s.png

Lenningrad:

TE7KELQ.png

oqgYnst.png

Koenig Albert:

LdmXZGw.png

Lion:

IedtX25.png

Mino:

h2dOmA9.png

Kaiser:

1X1xPn4.png

PWid9Cm.png

Hood:

n2DZLJl.png

Conq:

DKWHWTU.png

dAlwat3.png

SFRiPR3.png

Leander:

iTU0FE0.png

JB:

od1Va3e.png

Khaba:

qKhau6K.png

Charles Martel:

FcElwBh.png

Neptune:

E7fGIJA.png

lol ok that one is a fake ^^ but it be funny tho

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

Members
3,095 posts
12,105 battles
7 minutes ago, giovybez said:

Khaba:

This is what is on Khaba skin, it's 5000 rubles banknote that has images inspired by city Khabarovsk (in fact it spells Хабаровск on it)

rEEScOy.jpg

• Cool 1

Members
3,095 posts
12,105 battles
17 minutes ago, giovybez said:

Lenningrad:

This is what is on Leningrad (Bronze Horseman), it's a monument in St Petersburg formerly known as Leningrad:

OjA86Jy.jpg

• Cool 1

[GGWP]
Supertester, Volunteer Moderator
408 posts
4,965 battles

and this is on top of the easter eggs in the 3d models of the ships, like the Cesar salad on the Cesare.

[HINON]
Members
3,246 posts
25,387 battles

Were you trying to share something from Cesare? 

Ramsalot those finds are awesome. Thanks for sharing. 

Members
1,697 posts
8,726 battles

I know Salem has a witch icon on it, but you can actually see that one in the bridge if look hard enough.

shot-19_04.10_21_55.58-0804.jpg.e7d13e0b263030336c034d11f2d9c0cd.jpg

I heard Roma's model has a Fritz X hidden on it.

Edit: By the way, the Witch on Salem is very simplified version of the ship's seal. This has never been displayed in this location as far as I can tell though making it an Easter egg rather than attention to detail.

Edited by Wows_Nightly_News
  • Cool 2

[HINON]
Members
3,246 posts
25,387 battles

Nice Easter egg!

I’ve looked at the Roma and found an SPQR emblem in the textures that I don’t see in the models but I figured it’s just me not looking carefully. Maybe I’ll post it later. I’m sure someone knows where it is. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,359 posts
13,880 battles

They have some good ones but the best Easter egg in a game ever was in GTA Vice City.

GTA-pic-9.jpg

Yep, it is an Easter egg. :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
3,095 posts
12,105 battles
36 minutes ago, giovybez said:

I’ve looked at the Roma

Roma has one of the cooler Easter Eggs, you can find Fritz X bomb on it if you pay attention.

Members
1,697 posts
8,726 battles
1 hour ago, Ramsalot said:

Roma has one of the cooler Easter Eggs, you can find Fritz X bomb on it if you pay attention.

So I've looked for it where is it on the ship?

Members
3,095 posts
12,105 battles
6 minutes ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

So I've looked for it where is it on the ship?

nlLQPif.jpg

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,230 posts
13,870 battles
2 hours ago, Ramsalot said:

nlLQPif.jpg

Hmm no wonder I see the  Roma suddenly and mysteriously get obliterated once in a while by some oddly placed shell hits... :Smile_amazed:

Now if only it were possible to send that Fritz X back up to the sky to ruin the day for enemy planes... :Smile_trollface: But I know the Fritz X was strictly air to to surface only and not the other way around.

[KWF]
Members
4,040 posts
6,190 battles

Hah, that's very interesting!

@giovybez

The Charles Martel I think is a map pointing at Poitiers or Tours. This is where the real Charles Martel defeated an invading Arab army in 732 (back then large parts of the Spain were under Moorish occupation). The battle of Poitiers is often considered to be the Western European medieval equivalent of the battle of Marathon. Can't find the original map used on the texture, but pretty certain this is it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tours

The Mino one shows ship movements during the battle of Crete that was fought from 20 May- 1 June. RN ships were pretty active in the region during the battle, with Luftwaffe sinking quite a few of them, Fiji included. The connection with Minotaur has to with the mythological creature, since the labyrinth was in Crete.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Crete

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minotaur

Hope this cleared some easter eggs up :crab:.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
3,246 posts
25,387 battles
6 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

@giovybez

The Charles Martel I think is a map pointing at Poitiers or Tours. This is where the real Charles Martel defeated an invading Arab army in 732 (back then large parts of the Spain were under Moorish occupation). The battle of Poitiers is often considered to be the Western European medieval equivalent of the battle of Marathon. Can't find the original map used on the texture, but pretty certain this is it.

The Mino one shows ship movements during the battle of Crete that was fought from 20 May- 1 June. RN ships were pretty active in the region during the battle, with Luftwaffe sinking quite a few of them, Fiji included. The connection with Minotaur has to with the mythological creature, since the labyrinth was in Crete.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Crete

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minotaur

Nice work making those connections. You rock.

Members
825 posts
9,484 battles
18 hours ago, giovybez said:

Algerie:

ZqjaL60.png

That is Antoine de Saint-Exupery, author of "The Little Prince" and French WWII pilot, who disappeared off the Algeria coast during the war.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Members
3,246 posts
25,387 battles
13 minutes ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

That is Antoine de Saint-Exupery, author of "The Little Prince" and French WWII pilot, who disappeared off the Algeria coast during the war.

Wow Very nice! Thanks for that.  

[REVY]
Members
2,057 posts
11,403 battles
20 hours ago, giovybez said:

Lion:

IedtX25.png

Royal_Navy_Grog_issue.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grog

Until the grog ration was discontinued in 1970, Royal Navy rum was 95.5 proof, or 54.6% alcohol by volume; the usual ration was an eighth of a pint, diluted 2:1 with water (3:1 until World War II). Extra rum rations were provided for special celebrations, like Trafalgar Day, and sailors might share their ration with the cook or with a messmate celebrating a birthday. Until the early 20th century, "six water grog" (rum diluted with water at a 6:1 ratio) was sometimes issued as a punishment to sailors found guilty of drunkenness or neglect.

Edited by Lord_Slayer
  • Cool 1

Members
157 posts
7,022 battles

This one is Queen Elizabeth II.  The caption of the photo says taken in 1947 aboard an Aircraft Carrier, but the hat she wears bears the name "Vanguard".  That would be HMS Vanguard, a Battleship that served 1941-1960.

Good job catching these.

How do you get so close?  I can't find a way to enlarge little bits like this.

WOW_QueenElizabeth.JPG

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
3,246 posts
25,387 battles
44 minutes ago, brewakeg said:

This one is Queen Elizabeth II.  The caption of the photo says taken in 1947 aboard an Aircraft Carrier, but the hat she wears bears the name "Vanguard".  That would be HMS Vanguard, a Battleship that served 1941-1960.

Good job catching these.

How do you get so close?  I can't find a way to enlarge little bits like this.

WOW_QueenElizabeth.JPG

Another great find. This would have been a fitting egg to hide on the Vanguard...hmm maybe I should take a look at Vanguard.

• Cool 1

[BNKR]
Members
566 posts
3,617 battles
14 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

@giovybez

While certainly Martel, the history of that battle has been rewritten quite a bit. (Note this is NOT a knock on you at all.) It wasnt an Arab army -- it was an army with Arab elements.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2019/03/18/fake-history-that-fueled-accused-christchurch-shooter/?utm_term=.10b30a5e9c02#click=https://t.co/lQQGaUGDKA

Anyhoo, amazing finds on these ships, plus all the folks posting what they are. Very cool stuff! :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1