You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SC1P1O

CV Fighter Support

16 comments in this topic

[STW]
Members
16 posts
8,445 battles

I have a decent amount of experience in cvs and I admit it is tedious to provide fighter support to ships. Most of the time, those who need it are the poor players who isolate themselves, and as a result are  far away and prone to being picked on by the enemy CV. If I choose to save them, which is dubious to start with since they may not contribute much to the team, I usually have to spend a lot of time and engine boost to just get over them to drop a fighter that doesn't all the time lock onto the enemy planes. So i just wasted a minute and dps to "try" to save a player. As a result, I tend to only use them to protect capping dds or ships that are on my way to the drop. As an idea, just for starting a conversation, I wonder if wargaming could institute a fighter request system that a friendly ship hits a hotkey, and a small box pops up for me that if I hit K one of my fighter consumables is used up and drops a fighter over that ship. If i deny it, nothing happens. What are peoples thoughts?

• Cool 4

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,288 posts
6,102 battles

fighter support can be situational too.

team is winning

you wat to smash that damaged ship

enemy CV drop a fighter

you just need to wait 30secs or just smash him.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,645 posts
4,602 battles
2 minutes ago, SC1P1O said:

As an idea, just for starting a conversation, I wonder if wargaming could institute a fighter request system that a friendly ship hits a hotkey, and a small box pops up for me that if I hit K one of my fighter consumables is used up and drops a fighter over that ship. If i deny it, nothing happens. What are peoples thoughts?

We discussed this at some length in another forum.  The upshot is that the CV (if automatic) or you would get loaded with requests.  Requests even if satisfied would be quite unlikely to arrive in time to do any good.   Plus it adds complexity to a mechanism that is designed to not be complex.

• Cool 1

[STW]
Members
16 posts
8,445 battles

I was assuming it would be automatic, like as if the ship had a fighter consumable. Also, if the box was small, even if people spammed it it would not interfere with the visuals or game play much. 

[NATO]
Beta Testers
2,142 posts
6,707 battles
5 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

We discussed this at some length in another forum.  The upshot is that the CV (if automatic) or you would get loaded with requests.  Requests even if satisfied would be quite unlikely to arrive in time to do any good.   Plus it adds complexity to a mechanism that is designed to not be complex.

This could be the biggest failure of the rework....failing to realize that it is nearly impossible to simplify CV operations. Taking what is arguably the most complicated warship design and turning it into the 'tiddly winks on water' that WG wants WoWs to be is a near impossible task and that the players who gravitate towards CV operation actually WANT more from their game.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

Members
6,037 posts
7,048 battles

Honestly, I think the CVs fighter consumable needs the ability to be called down remotely.

For instance, if you place your crosshair on an allied ship, the CAP will appear overtop the allied ship. If you don't have your crosshair over an allied ship, then the CAP appears over your squadron.

I think something like this would improve a CVs ability to provide air cover to the team. You would still be limited by the squadron's view/render range, but it would allow you to continue flying towards a target, but also give you the flexibility to provide air cover to allies that are being attacked by the enemy CV.

• Cool 2

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
171 posts
7,575 battles

I'd just like to be able to summon them to a location by clicking on the mini map or map screen. As OP described it takes alot of valuable tome to drop off the consumable. 

[S-N-D]
Members
3,271 posts
7,658 battles
1 hour ago, SC1P1O said:

I have a decent amount of experience in cvs and I admit it is tedious to provide fighter support to ships. Most of the time, those who need it are the poor players who isolate themselves, and as a result are  far away and prone to being picked on by the enemy CV. If I choose to save them, which is dubious to start with since they may not contribute much to the team, I usually have to spend a lot of time and engine boost to just get over them to drop a fighter that doesn't all the time lock onto the enemy planes. So i just wasted a minute and dps to "try" to save a player. As a result, I tend to only use them to protect capping dds or ships that are on my way to the drop. As an idea, just for starting a conversation, I wonder if wargaming could institute a fighter request system that a friendly ship hits a hotkey, and a small box pops up for me that if I hit K one of my fighter consumables is used up and drops a fighter over that ship. If i deny it, nothing happens. What are peoples thoughts?

Yeah, don't save them. That just reinforces bad behavior. Besides, that loss of DPM is costing the rest of your more intelligent team damage and loss. A better use of your fighters is dropping them in places the enemy might go but not react in time to avoid netting you some kills or to provide cover during a cap.

Edited by _Caliph_

Members
1,344 posts
3,206 battles

I'd love the ability to remotely place fighters in some way, but I doubt WG will ever introduce something like that. The problem is that it widens the old skill gap issue that WG was trying to close with the rework. A good carrier player would be able to more easily both do damage AND shutdown the enemy CV, turning the match into an 11 v 12.

[5D2]
Supertester
2,309 posts
22,694 battles
6 hours ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Honestly, I think the CVs fighter consumable needs the ability to be called down remotely.

For instance, if you place your crosshair on an allied ship, the CAP will appear overtop the allied ship. If you don't have your crosshair over an allied ship, then the CAP appears over your squadron.

I think something like this would improve a CVs ability to provide air cover to the team. You would still be limited by the squadron's view/render range, but it would allow you to continue flying towards a target, but also give you the flexibility to provide air cover to allies that are being attacked by the enemy CV.

I agree and hope that WG does too because it could really work well.

Remove one type of damage dealing aircraft, or greatly reduce it, and replace it with this. Select your fighter (CAP) group and remotely (from the map view) launch it. This removes some of the endless plane drama people complain about, while giving CVs something to do. It could also work for ships like Tone or Ise to be eventually implemented. It brings back a little of the RTS strategy style, gives CVs something to do while waiting for replacement planes, and may help slow down attacks that players are hating so much. 

[CYNIC]
Members
2,638 posts
5,800 battles

My suggestion for this is that the current fighter drop mechanism is still in-tact, however, the CV can enter map mode, and call another fighter within 4km or so of an allied ship.  The fighter would take off from the ship, travel at returning aircraft speed to the location, and then drop down.  The time it takes the fighter to arrive is directly proportional to the distance between CV and ally.  However, I only think this need to be done if there's a better reward for dropping strike aircraft.  As it is now CVs pay a lot of credits to supply CVs, the most in game actually,  and dropping strike aircraft provides very slim rewards vs actual damage.   I'm usually working directly with ships that are following a good plan.  I wouldn't protect the lemming train that runs off after something is suggested in chat.  I ignore those who ignore the team.

[NUWES]
Members
2,923 posts
9,667 battles
12 hours ago, SC1P1O said:

I know exactly what you are talking about with trying to support isolated players with fighters. Your idea is a good one. It occurred to me too, but I don't believe they will do it. They want the CV to make a choice on where to deploy the planes. It is intended as a limitation. That is why everything keys off of the one squadron you have in the air and you have to take the squadron to the location to do what you want to do. It is the same reason they will never let CVs directly control the hull while flying the planes. They keep saying stuff like they don't want to overtax players and things like that but the real reason is they only want the CV to be able to do one thing at a time, from one location, like other ships. They want the CV player to make the choice and decide whether to help a teammate or go the other way and attack. 

Just to point out, you actually can actually do a little multi-tasking and get fighter help to your ally without sending the planes to them, but you have to risk the hull to do it. If you park the CV near your beleaguered ally, not only will your (likely much stronger AA) help him out but the CV will automatically launch defense fighters. I've done it a few times when enemy surface ships aren't in effective gun range. They are never going to let the CV player effectively send fighter help for no cost though. 

[PVE]
Members
3,816 posts
16,307 battles
13 hours ago, GhostSwordsman said:

And that, is what CV's did in reality !  They protected SAG's from:  AIRCRAFT bent on destroying them !  The best solution to Attack Airplanes are other fighter Airplanes !  CV's can't be 100% attack ships because aircraft aren't ships.....  Good carrier Captains have some of the best situational awareness and "know where fighters are needed to support operations"..........then, when the back of the enemy air wing is broken, they then can go beyond the wall of battle and attack the enemy's rear areas and create chaos.....   WG wanted another meta ship to boost sales at 8.0 and they out right goofed....  Now, if they took the hint, carriers need "a reason to exist......a real purpose only they can fill" that has real value for everyone else....  Players should "want carriers" in their games !   And, I don't see that currently....because carriers are trying to compete with ships for the same damage........oooops....

Edited by Asym_KS

[S-N-D]
Members
3,271 posts
7,658 battles

I don't want to have to babysit players. This was part of the problem with the old system. Everyone that died to a CV blamed their CV for not having a fighter there to nullify the attack. No thanks. If you make it remote then DDs will no longer be able to cap as the moment it starts to turn the CV will remote call a fighter to spot them.

[DOW]
[DOW]
Members
940 posts
29,909 battles

I like team play, I liked strafing and covering my teammates in the old RTS system. But I agree with the OP; in this system its an exercise in ruthless efficiency and triangulating out to drop fighters only hurts the team when I'm not pinning DD's or spinning (avoiding my drops and taking damage etc) BB's.