You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DocWalker

First 19 Pointer - Suggestions?

27 comments in this topic

[WOLFC]
Members
2,644 posts
14,499 battles

Thanks to all the Elite Commander XP obtained in Space Battles,  I was able to quickly add the 19th point to this commander.  Thanks, WG!

I reset his skills the last day of the free respec's;  but I'm undecided about what to do with him.  He was on Cruisers, but I'm thinking of moving him to BBs.

I should be getting the Gneisenau soon and there would be good synergy with the Scharnhorst.  Ultimately, my eye is on the Bismark, don't know if I'll go higher.

I'm more of a Cruiser/DD player on most lines but I do enjoy a secondary build BB ... like the Alldestroyer (Grosse Kurfurst).  Only at the Gaede on German DD line.

You guys are always full of good, unique ideas ... I'd appreciate any thoughts/suggestions.

1st19pt10Apr19.jpg

• Cool 1

Members
1,438 posts
8,824 battles

The most important thing to do with him is put him on a ship you'll play regularly so he generates a lot of elite captain experience you can then use to boost other captains up.  The best thing about 19 point captains is the more you have, the more you'll get.  It's very nice once you reach a point that all your major ships have them and you have a big pool of elite xp for moving people around and retraining at will.

Edited by Vaidency
  • Cool 3

[NSEW]
Members
1,725 posts
10,368 battles
2 minutes ago, DocWalker said:

Ultimately, my eye is on the Bismark, don't know if I'll go higher.

First of all, congrats on getting the 1st 19 pointer. It's an achievement on its own right. My own announcement of it, here some time ago was well received and with many praises on getting to that "milestone". So Bravo Zulu!

If, and only if. Bismarck is your ultimate ship. You'd do well to use that Captain on her. However, IF you have other German ships that wouldn't be a bad idea also. You can alternate that captain between your Bismarck and say Gneisenau. But since you'll be spending the points mostly on secondary points. You'll be limited to a degree. However, either way. It isn't a bad choice. 

Also, something else to factor. Decide which ship, tier you would really enjoy in the next months ahead. Since, you'll want to use that 19 point captain to earn Elite XP. No point in placing her to a Bismarck, then keeping her in port with the said captain (I do). 

My 2nd German 19 pointer ( I have few more ) is on my Hindenburg. I tend to think that smaller HP per ship, requires more Captain skills to create a better buffer. That's just me though.

Alternatively, if you have any other premium ships in port. Have you thought about alternating that captain with whatever premium ship you have? To keep yourself interested, and not tired of playing just one ship all the time to grind Elite XP (captain XP). 

• Cool 1

[CUTEZ]
-Members-
1,642 posts
1,212 battles
18 minutes ago, DocWalker said:

Thanks to all the Elite Commander XP obtained in Space Battles,  I was able to quickly add the 19th point to this commander.  Thanks, WG!

I reset his skills the last day of the free respec's;  but I'm undecided about what to do with him.  He was on Cruisers, but I'm thinking of moving him to BBs.

I should be getting the Gneisenau soon and there would be good synergy with the Scharnhorst.  Ultimately, my eye is on the Bismark, don't know if I'll go higher.

I'm more of a Cruiser/DD player on most lines but I do enjoy a secondary build BB ... like the Alldestroyer (Grosse Kurfurst).  Only at the Gaede on German DD line.

You guys are always full of good, unique ideas ... I'd appreciate any thoughts/suggestions.

1st19pt10Apr19.jpg

Congrats on your first 19 point commander!

My recommendation is putting the commander on a ship in a line that you have an end goal for. For instance if you like the "alldestroyer" and want to get the GK I would recommend him on a German BB. Ultimately you have to choose which line better fits your playstyle and where you want to end up at. 

I notice you have him on the Yorck, any thought on getting to the Hindenburg?

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
19,836 posts
12,005 battles
42 minutes ago, DocWalker said:

1st19pt10Apr19.jpg

Congrats!

Looks like you have Scharnhorst and PEF for German premiums, so either a cruiser or BB would work with either. Since you seem to like cruisers over BBs, putting him on Yorck would work going towards Hindenburg. Play for first win on the tech tree ship and then through the premiums to generate more ECXP. I would spec him for the ship he will end up on, what ever that is. For example, I'm moving my Edinburgh Cmdr up the line to Minotaur. Edinburgh could use EM to help the guns, but Minotaur doesn't need EM, so that Cmdr that is moving up will not get EM. I planned out what I want on my Mino and am working toward that. If you want to respec your Cmdr for each tech tree ship, the ECXP certainly helps with that if that is what you prefer.

If you want to see which UU suits the GK and Hindy, or any other T10 if you decide that is where your 19pt Cmdr will end up, you can check here.

• Cool 1

[CHBK]
Members
562 posts
2,698 battles

I specifically ground out my british BB captain as my first 19 pointer due to the fact I have 4 British BB premiums I like to play a lot.

• Cool 1

[FBS]
[FBS]
Supertester, Beta Testers
95 posts
2,015 battles

My first 19pt commander is my Scharnhorst commander, a couple of months ago.  Almost have one of my American commanders to 19pts.  I would give the same advice as @Kizarvexis, pick a line you prefer.  Then move the commander between the tech tree ship and premiums to get the most out of the first win bonus, plus the premiums will usually get you more elite commander xp due to the base xp bonus on the ships.  I have been working more on the BB line for Germany, so I move the commander between my tech tree BB, Scharnhorst, PEF, and Tirpitz.  The drawback to the German cruiser line is there are not many premiums to move the commander around.

• Cool 2

[WOLFG]
Members
27,126 posts
7,239 battles

Hindy has my first 19-pt. captain. He's there because I like the ship, and with flags and camo, it rakes in great XP, far more than a lower tier ship. 

My second is on GK, but reached 19 pts. on FdG. I couldn't play that ship for crap, (pre-buff) so I actually tried him in Bayern and Bismarck. I liked playing Bayern, but the XP was pretty meh. Bismarck was better, but ran into a lot of T10 matches, where I found it struggled. Eventually, I got through FdG, got GK, and found I could earn decently on it. (not as good as Hindy though)

I think it depends how you like to play. If you're ok with grinding, put him on your favorite applicable ship. If you're like me, and have trouble playing the same ship twice in a row, put him on whatever will earn best, and try to play at least one game in it every time you play.

The dilemma I have now, is that it looks like #3 will be an IJN BB captain. I could grind Hindy and GK, but I really enjoy Amagi, and I'm getting a feel for Musashi, so it's often a toss-up which captain to use.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,644 posts
14,499 battles
1 hour ago, Vaidency said:

The most important thing to do with him is put him on a ship you'll play regularly ...

Absolutely, he's a daily player on my Scharhorst as well.

1 hour ago, LowSpeed_US said:

First of all, congrats on getting the 1st 19 pointer. ...

No point in placing her to a Bismarck, then keeping her in port with the said captain (I do).

Alternatively, if you have any other premium ships in port. Have you thought about alternating that captain with whatever premium ship you have?

Thanks ... Good point about the Bismarck.  I'm also a little concerned if I'll really like the Gneis that much.  Though I normally enjoy Tier 7 the most, I do have a few other Tier 8's and the Jean Bart that I enjoy.  I do plan to alternate this Captain a lot on the Scharnhorst.  Only the PEF for another German premium.  Been thinking of the T-61 though.

1 hour ago, iKami said:

Congrats on your first 19 point commander!

My recommendation is putting the commander on a ship in a line that you have an end goal for. ... 

I notice you have him on the Yorck, any thought on getting to the Hindenburg?

Thanks again.  End goal is the unanswered question as I don't play high tier (except in events).  Although I do enjoy some of the high tier ships in those modes, I'm still pretty much a T7 player.  I tried the Hindenburg version in Space Wars and do better in the BBs.  I do plan on getting the Hipper, but plan to put Admiral Hipper on it ... that may be a real factor for going with BBs.

--------------------

Thanks, Kiz ... I too, like to plan ahead.  Thanks for the LU info!

Edited by DocWalker

[AOD_D]
Supertester
219 posts
6,644 battles

Congrats on your first 19 pointer! Looks like most everyone has great suggestions on what to do with him, so i guess ill leave it at that!

[WOLFC]
Members
2,644 posts
14,499 battles
15 minutes ago, omega_m said:

... The drawback to the German cruiser line is there are not many premiums to move the commander around.

That really is a valid point ... guess that's why my "Cruiser" captain spent so much time on Scharnhorst. And since I sucked at the Hindenburg in Space Wars but did well with GK ... if I do go to Tier 10 ... much closer to deciding on a BB spec.  

Members
1,925 posts
7,591 battles
12 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

Congrats OP...

BUT... how in the heck did it take you approx 7500 battles to get your first 19 pt captain???   

Looks like it's because 2/3s of his games are in coop, and very few games above T5 in randoms.  And usually Wolf clans don't do a lot of clan battles, which is the best way to boost xp. 

Members
4,221 posts
9,718 battles

I had my first 19-pt (Bismarck) ages ago, and as I am a collector did not focus to get more until a month ago... I now have 7 of them. What do you do with them? Why get more of course and then look at your stats and move your 19-pters (usually down) to your ships you are better on.

Welcome to the World of Where-Do-I-Best-Use-My-19-pt-captains????

You figure it out I know you can do it.

Also notice the trick of slipping 19-pt captains to premium ships back and forth for the daily premium. No charge for training eh? (I'm a Canuck)

Fair seas

• Cool 1

Members
4,221 posts
9,718 battles
17 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

Congrats OP...

BUT... how in the heck did it take you approx 7500 battles to get your first 19 pt captain???   

Well I was similar and the answer is, you didn't focus on it and you play most of your ships (collector here--88 ships and I play them all). then you finally notice and focus on it.

[CLARE]
Members
570 posts

Put him where you make most commander xp.  For me it would be one of the Narai cruisers since I run Narai with dedicated groups from Operations channel.

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
960 posts
8,976 battles

I'd stick with the cruiser line, might as well finish it up. Here's my Hindy captain build. I div with a CV player a lot so I picked up manual AA, it's definitely nice on Hindy. This build works very well on Scharnhorst too.

image.thumb.png.c87168700cd214bb5b20e96265e7a62e.png

[WOLFG]
Members
27,126 posts
7,239 battles
1 hour ago, DocWalker said:

I'm also a little concerned if I'll really like the Gneis that much. 

Well, I liked it so much that, even though it's probably the worst performing ship I play regularly, it's my third most played ship lol.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,254 posts
8,248 battles

Congrats, Doc.

I actually just finished my Gneisenau grind last week, and I really enjoyed it. 32 knots in a BB is fun, especially if you're top tier. Helps mitigate the wonky dispersion when you can close the distance quickly (and then you have torps!).

One thing to consider is do you play a lot of ops? The German siblings (Gneis/Scharn) are my favorite ships for grinding XP on Narai. They both excel at leading from the front and brawling in the harbor.

[PVE]
Members
5,009 posts
22,432 battles
4 hours ago, DocWalker said:

1st19pt10Apr19.jpg

Grats on the 1st 19 point commander Doc but your a little late on deciding as while the respecs were going on you could have transferred him for free...now it will cost you to transfer him.

Fortunately the German cruiser line specs pretty close to the BB line so keeping him on the cruisers & using him on the BBs doesn't leave your skills all out of whack much.

As far as suggestions it seems as everybody else has pretty much summed up enough good suggestions for you to make a decision on...but I will add that the Gneis is a fun grind & w/the quick speed & torps it can even troll DDs w/the rudder shift upgrade.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,290 posts
12,748 battles

Congratulations on your first 19 pointer.

I am working toward my third, and it will probably be my best German commander. I have the Yorck, Scharnhorst, PEF and Graf Spee, and the candidate captain resides in the Yorck. I intend to leave him there, because I like that ship. His cruiser skills will mesh reasonably well with the battleships and the Graf, or at least will not be horribly discordant, if I decide to rotate him through them.

Both my existing 19 pointers are in lines where I own multiple premium destroyers, and for this reason I gave them both Last Stand. This enables them to go into any premium ship I have in their nations without too much trouble. I would not do this for my German commander, as I do not own any German premium destroyers and do not have plans to own any. Take note and act according to how this fits in with your plans.

You will waste either doubloons, credits, elite captain XP or a mixture of the three moving your Yorck captain out to another tech-tree ship, unless you choose to do it in a re-spec period. Leave him where he is and rotate him through the premium heavies to mine first-wins. This is what I would do in your position. I am currently at T5 in German battleships and intending to go as high as the Bismarck (for which I have the event permacamos from the collection in the Armoury) and then stop. I will probably get more use out of the Yorck, and you too sound like you are more a cruiser than a BB main. Therefore, once more, leave him in the Yorck.

Tier 7 is in a good spot for earning and matchmaking. I moved my British 19 pointer back to the Fiji in the first CV re-spec period after grinding him up in the Edinburgh in Ranked (among other things), and I intend to leave him there.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,250 posts
22,261 battles

The more you use the 19pt captain, the quicker it starts getting to get another 19pt captain.  Use them on ships you intend to play a lot.  It helps if you have a Tech Tree + Premium Ship that you can throw the 19pt captain around in and keep earning Elite Captain XPs.

For example, you get to Tier X GK and really like her.  Your 19pt'er is specialized for GK but you also have Tirpitz to put that same captain around into.  Do some matches on both with the Daily Bonus, play these a lot, and the pile of Elite Captain XPs just keeps growing.

• Cool 1

[VW]
Members
3,909 posts
18,832 battles
9 hours ago, DocWalker said:

1st19pt10Apr19.jpg

Spec him according to the type of premium ship of which you have the most. Playing that or those premium ships will help you earn elite xp faster and thus help you earn the next 19pt captain faster.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,878 posts
11,515 battles

I would suggest sticking with the cruiser as the Hindenberg is a nasty ship when played right. I would suggest the following build. All-purpose build. PT, EM,SI,CE,MAA,DE,AR. This will give you a solid build to play the ship as a range HE spam boat, in the beginning, allowing you to enhance your aa a bit via the sector enhancement. Now with this build you can take DFAA which can pay out rather nicely in terms of aa power that most cv's forget about, but it is not min max's for aa, you can also just leave it with hydro if you feel the DD threat is of greater concern to you.

If you were to go a full viable aa build it would look something like. PT,EM,AR,BFT,SI,CE,MAA. This with DFAA and the fighter plane will give you enough aa to really shock most cv players while allowing you to still play the range fire support role, however, you will lose torp awareness and the concept of hunting a dd in smoke is no longer an option. You will also lose a bit of your dps from fire chance as well, but this can easily be countered by running fire flags to restore you to. 15% fire chance. In this build you would also take. Boh AA upgrades. this, of course, lessen your dps but you will add an additional 15% to anti-air as well as increase your flak coverage by 2 which is an increase of 30% for long range and 22% increase for medium range flak. this will make any approach to attack you very difficult and lead to some rather nasty aa Damage spikes.

Members
783 posts
9 hours ago, Taco_De_Moist said:

I specifically ground out my british BB captain as my first 19 pointer due to the fact I have 4 British BB premiums I like to play a lot.

This is one thing that makes 19pt captains shine.  If you have a bunch of same nation premiums they can rack up crazy amounts of elite captain exp fast.