You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Maine_ARC_1

Public Notice From LRM: Passing of clan member OldOne70 [Obituary]

61 comments in this topic

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
2,915 posts
7,321 battles

The following is an Obituary/public announcement out of courtesy to any of those who might have known him. He wasn't a man about town or a forumite, but he meant a lot to LRM.
===========================================
On the 6th of April, 2019, at sometime in the evening, LRM clan member OldOne70 passed away in his sleep to both the shock and sadness of his friends, family, and clan mates. OldOne70 was a retired gentleman and a family man of 73 years of age. He was happy just playing and doing his very best in every battle, regardless of the challenge. His joy came from enjoying the company of others, working on his beloved cars and visiting car shows to see 50's and 60's cars. Roughly 2 years ago, he cut down 23 mature trees on his property and gave away the firewood to the neighbors around him, just because he thought it better to help others stay warm rather than fill a landfill with the wood.

In the game, OldOne70 was a critical part of LRM. Without him, we would not have the manpower to field a clan wars team in the first 2 seasons of clan wars, which was critical in getting LRM into the swing of playing clan wars in general, and crucial for us to gather data to design our clans' combat doctrine for how we field ships and break into units. His contribution in Ranked Battles was not the best, but he showed up to wave the flag for LRM because he wanted to be part of something greater. He participated in the 2nd, 3rd, and 6th through 11th seasons of ranked battles, along with the first 2 seasons of ranked sprints. OldOne70 constantly showed signs of improvement at the game. He scored 107 Dev Strikes, 88 First Bloods, 5 Confederates, and 2 Krakens; one in Kongo and one in Fuso. His favorite tier was tier 5; his best DD was Phra Ruang, his best BB was ARP Haruna, and his best CL was Danae. His tier 10's were Yamato and Des Moines. The ships he had the most battles in were New York, Nagato, New Mexico, Colorado, and Kongo.

For his service in our clan, he has received a special honor of a Naval Combat Cross for his service in LRM, along with citation for Honorable Conduct (a behavior citation we give out to those who are kind and friendly to others beyond expectation), Meritorious Service (a citation for those who make sacrifices to participate in events regarding the clan, like playing in ranked battles), and Distinguished Service (for staying up hours past his bedtime for 2 months playing clan wars into the night to help us field a team (that's a lot for an older gentlemen like himself)). His account will stay in LRM for the rest of 2019 as an honor to him. The rest of LRM stands with a great blanket of sadness over us with the passing of our clan mate, as we were blindsided by this event. If anyone here knew him and would like to pass a note of condolence back to his family, we will relay any and all messages pertaining to such.

Thank you for reading everyone, and I hope this reaches those who knew him. For the near future, the black ribbon hangs from the balcony.

Spoiler

dNx6FL8.png

Edited by Maine_ARC_1
  • Cool 40
  • Meh 1

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,840 posts
42,063 battles

o7

My condolences to his family and friends.

Members
15 posts
5,870 battles

OldOne was a great person. I am thankful that I got the pleasure to play and talk to him. May he rest in peace, may his family become stronger, and may God smile on him for being a great person.

Edited by Omars_Warships
  • Cool 2

0 posts

I never knew your clan comrade, but he sounds like he was a great guy and a great player. Condolences for your loss.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
WoWS Community Contributors
938 posts
11,629 battles

I didn't know your comrade, but he sounds like the mettle that your clan needed and was vital.

My sympathies to you for your loss of a friend and his family.

• Cool 1

[5D2]
Supertester
2,308 posts
22,562 battles

A great tribute. Well said. Condolences to his real and online families.

• Cool 1

[MINVY]
[MINVY]
Members
703 posts
6,048 battles

O7 very sorry and deepest condolences on the loss of your clanmate and friend. I think it is awesome that people of a wide age range can enjoy World of Warships, regardless of skill level. 

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,709 posts
8,628 battles

R.I.P.

[ALL41]
[ALL41]
Beta Testers
7 posts
6,454 battles

Oldone70 was truly an asset to our clan.  For years, his can-do attitude and positivity encouraged us to grind through the challenges of many a tough spot.  To his spirit I raise my glass of my favorite 18 year old single malt, may he always enjoy his well deserved "angels share".

• Cool 3