Jump to content
gillhunter

Were earlier Events as "Grindy" as Fly Strike Win seems to be?

31 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

324
[CIAO]
[CIAO]
Members
686 posts
26,803 battles

I'm must be getting old (actually I am). Past events didn't seem as grindy as this one. It doesn't seem as fun. Maybe it's just me. To complete 3 of the "Enhanced Provsions" on the current directive will take 90 battles at 100,000 credits per battle. Maybe my math is bad?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
182
[PTRGT]
Members
384 posts
41,674 battles

I think there were running out of Fly Strike Win missions since the CV wreck work is taking longer than planned. 

So I think they upped the grind values to make it last for 3 more weeks...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,588
[WOLF3]
Members
25,163 posts
22,173 battles

The ARP missions were pretty grindy back in the day.  Some of the stuff like Kill requirements turned people against each other ingame.  Big time.  And we had LOTS of ARP missions for the MANY ARP clones.  4 Kongo-class, I lost track how many Myoko-clones, and 1 Takao-class / Atago clone.  It wasn't one mission to get all the ships.  We had missions for EVERY ONE OF THEM.

 

Also, events to get a Free Ship(s) have always been grindy.  They start off mild but the last portions of the event usually ramp it up requiring a lot of play to complete.  Graf Spee was grindy at the end to nudge you to buy the ship outright if you didn't have the time to play but wanted the ship.  Duke of York, Hood with a free Bismarck with Bismarck Perma-Camo, etc.  All grindy toward the end.

 

Fly Strike Win does the same.  The end ramps it up.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,412
[KWF]
Members
4,015 posts
6,155 battles

Cossack was perhaps the worst in terms of length. 

P.E.F grind wasn't the best either, if it wasn't for the extension many would have failed at the credit grind directive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,336
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,284 posts
13,851 battles

I don't find Fly Strike Win grindy and normal play will complete most directives, completing x missions. Now the multistage missions like the Exeter, PEF, and RN carriers one after another was grindy as hell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,588
[WOLF3]
Members
25,163 posts
22,173 battles

IMO the events during the Holidays were the most brutal.  You either had plenty of time due to more time off to complete them, or you had too many things with family, friends, travel, etc. going on during that same time span to make the event harder to complete.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,769
[SALVO]
Members
24,197 posts
24,546 battles
1 hour ago, gillhunter said:

I'm must be getting old (actually I am). Past events didn't seem as grindy as this one. It doesn't seem as fun. Maybe it's just me. To complete 3 of the "Enhanced Provsions" on the current directive will take 90 battles at 100,000 credits per battle. Maybe my math is bad?

 

Others have been more grindy.  This one is a little more grindy than past missions that were put in the upper left part of the port UI.  However, the duration of each stage of the mission is longer too, so it seems to me to balance out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
324
[CIAO]
[CIAO]
Members
686 posts
26,803 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Others have been more grindy.  This one is a little more grindy than past missions that were put in the upper left part of the port UI.  However, the duration of each stage of the mission is longer too, so it seems to me to balance out.

Guess I'm just getting old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,769
[SALVO]
Members
24,197 posts
24,546 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

I don't find Fly Strike Win grindy and normal play will complete most directives, completing x missions. Now the multistage missions like the Exeter, PEF, and RN carriers one after another was grindy as hell.

I agree, BrushWolf.  The FSW missions aren't really all that grindy, mostly because every task can be done in randoms and coop, and often in operations, etc.  The only time they get a little more grindy, I suppose, is when you need to play a certain ship or group of ships, or type of ships to complete a task … and those ships aren't exactly what's interesting you at the moment.  That is, if you're playing a lot of BBs for whatever reason this week, but the task requires you to play another type of ship where your interest level is low, that can seem "grindier".

Regardless, the final rewards for the current FSW missions aren't all that high (i.e. no free premium ship), so the requirements aren't all that demanding either.  And because the length of time on the missions is pretty long, it shouldn't be all that grindy.  Just be a ware of what the individual tasks are, and you should be able to complete them with normal play, though a 3M credit task might be a bit difficult if you only play coop.  Credit based tasks are better done in randoms or operations where the credit earnings are significantly higher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
6,034 posts
7,048 battles

It's likely just cumulative burnout from all the previous events.

It all started with the Go Navy! event. Right after, WG switched to this 'directives' setup, which is a decent layout for events, but so far it has provided no lull in between 'events' to allow players to recharge. After Go Navy! you had RN DDs, then the holiday stuff (which was actually extra on top of the directives), and now Fly. Strike. Win. (actually, I get the feeling I'm missing one, but I'm not sure). Also, we've had clan battles, normal ranked, and two ranked sprints in as well.

To make matters worse, after Fly. Strike. Win., we're moving into the "Victory" event, which will be structured similar to Go Navy! last year.

 

I get that WG want's players to have something to do. Playtime likely dropped in between 'events', or rather new ship line releases, prior to Go Navy!. But I think they seriously need to look into how they're structuring their events. The directives are a decent setup, but since we've been on this setup for approx. 6-8 months, the back to back missions and whatnot make it feel like a lot longer.

The burnout among the playerbase is becoming glaringly obvious. Add on top of that the frustrations and growing pains from the CV rework, and you can see why the forums and game have been more volatile as of late.

Really though, WG needs to go back and seriously look at how non-stop everything feels from our, the player's, perspective. People need respite, sabbaticals, vacations. And they need them without the potential to lose out on 'exclusives', which is what the directives structure creates the perception of. I see no harm in taking 6 weeks or so where there's very little going on. Some daily missions, a challenge or two here or there, but nothing serious. Let people take a break without losing out on anything but the daily exp/credit grind.

Edited by GhostSwordsman
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
573
[KIA-A]
Members
2,283 posts
13,556 battles

Anyone remember the PAX MARBLEHEAD contest where you had to spell out PAX MARBLEHEAD with the first letters of players you'd killed for a free marblehead over about a week?  You want a grind?  That was a grind.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,336
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,284 posts
13,851 battles
21 minutes ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

Anyone remember the PAX MARBLEHEAD contest where you had to spell out PAX MARBLEHEAD with the first letters of players you'd killed for a free marblehead over about a week?  You want a grind?  That was a grind.

I just played and after the match ended I looked to see if any of my kills had the right letter(s).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
573
[KIA-A]
Members
2,283 posts
13,556 battles
47 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I just played and after the match ended I looked to see if any of my kills had the right letter(s).

I played each game normally, but would shoot the guys whose letters I needed if the opportunity presented itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,855
[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,594 posts
13,444 battles

The worst grind I can remember was probably trying to get a Kamikaze R from Fire vs Water. 

Spoiler

I didn't do it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
284
[WOLF6]
Members
775 posts
5,132 battles

The ARP mission grind was the first one I did. But I missed the original ARP missions and had to do the last chance to get all the ARP ships mission series which was to earn base XP.   Because I was relatively new, I didn’t have any tier 6 ships to do the last two stages, but I did have an Atlanta, so I used the Atlanta in coop to do the base XP missions.  Earned 8,000 base XP, then 12,000 base XP, then 20,000 base XP, then 30,000 base XP and the last stage 40,000 base XP mission to get all the ARP ships.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,769
[SALVO]
Members
24,197 posts
24,546 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

I just played and after the match ended I looked to see if any of my kills had the right letter(s).

I was more hardcore.  I kept a piece of paper near my keyboard with the name Marblehead on it, and the letters I no longer needed crossed out.  And then pre-battle, I looked at the enemy's order of battle to see which ships I wanted to try to kill.   Let me tell you, at the time, there weren't many ships in the game beginning with the letter 'e', so it was a real dogfight to get those kills.  About the best you could do was maybe to  try to not go after letters you didn't need so that others could have them, and hope that they'd do the same for you in return.

These days, I think that it'd be a good deal easier to do this sort of mission, assuming that it wasn't a ship with a very uncommon letter in it, like a 'Q', 'Z', etc. simply because there are so many more ships in the game to choose from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,336
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,284 posts
13,851 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

I was more hardcore.  I kept a piece of paper near my keyboard with the name Marblehead on it, and the letters I no longer needed crossed out.  And then pre-battle, I looked at the enemy's order of battle to see which ships I wanted to try to kill.   Let me tell you, at the time, there weren't many ships in the game beginning with the letter 'e', so it was a real dogfight to get those kills.  About the best you could do was maybe to  try to not go after letters you didn't need so that others could have them, and hope that they'd do the same for you in return.

These days, I think that it'd be a good deal easier to do this sort of mission, assuming that it wasn't a ship with a very uncommon letter in it, like a 'Q', 'Z', etc. simply because there are so many more ships in the game to choose from.

I don't consider that hard core as I did the same. Hard core is hunting the required names which I didn't do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
573
[KIA-A]
Members
2,283 posts
13,556 battles
48 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I was more hardcore.  I kept a piece of paper near my keyboard with the name Marblehead on it, and the letters I no longer needed crossed out.  And then pre-battle, I looked at the enemy's order of battle to see which ships I wanted to try to kill.   Let me tell you, at the time, there weren't many ships in the game beginning with the letter 'e', so it was a real dogfight to get those kills.  About the best you could do was maybe to  try to not go after letters you didn't need so that others could have them, and hope that they'd do the same for you in return.

These days, I think that it'd be a good deal easier to do this sort of mission, assuming that it wasn't a ship with a very uncommon letter in it, like a 'Q', 'Z', etc. simply because there are so many more ships in the game to choose from.

They should have one for Diana Lima.  It's the last of the ultra rare reward ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,769
[SALVO]
Members
24,197 posts
24,546 battles
11 minutes ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

They should have one for Diana Lima.  It's the last of the ultra rare reward ships.

It's kind of an oddball mission type.  And I'm not sure that they could get players excited about a mission to spell out the name of a mere tier 2.  But can you imagine trying to do the Veribus Unitus?  That's a number of oddball letters.  And if you were sailing one of those V's or U's, you would suddenly get VERY popular!  :Smile_hiding:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,410
[ARGSY]
Members
18,182 posts
12,658 battles
16 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

Cossack was perhaps the worst in terms of length. 

P.E.F grind wasn't the best either, if it wasn't for the extension many would have failed at the credit grind directive.

Cossack was an endless grind, but the PvE-friendliness of it made it a lot easier on me than Indianapolis had been. I thought I was burned out after Indy, but being able to do so much in co-op has kept me in this winning-things game.

PEF cash grind was an absolute pig, and the reason for that was that so much steel was tied to this ship. I was very grateful for winning one on a stream so I could shortcut that and pick up the doubloon value and all the bonus T6 tech tree ships etc. I burned up a lot of luck doing that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,498
[PVE]
Members
11,226 posts
21,555 battles

When I started WOWS you basically couldn't do these things in Co-op or only rarely or partially. As I recall wining the Katori was the 1st thing I was able to do as a Co-op player. Yeah LOL :Smile_facepalm:.

They have since allowed more Co-op inclusion (although have to say lately they have backslid a bit) and I have been able to do a lot more. Some of the missions have been hard and some not so much. It has varied. The 2 hardest/grindiest for me have been...

  • Halsey Campaign = 392 games over 17 days
  • Mighty Prinz Campaign = 290 +/- games JUST to get the damn 1000 BXP in the final task for a stupid alt T6 perma camo 

Those 2 as said have been the hardest to do grind wise for me. That event to earn the PEF where you had to earn like 4 Million credits in 6 nations was brutal for those who didn't have the PEF already (that let you do 5 at once). I had bought it and had Missouri so it wasn't bad for me but for most that was rough even in PVP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,115
[A-D-F]
Members
2,011 posts
7,247 battles
43 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

When I started WOWS you basically couldn't do these things in Co-op or only rarely or partially. As I recall wining the Katori was the 1st thing I was able to do as a Co-op player. Yeah LOL :Smile_facepalm:.

They have since allowed more Co-op inclusion (although have to say lately they have backslid a bit) and I have been able to do a lot more. Some of the missions have been hard and some not so much. It has varied. The 2 hardest/grindiest for me have been...

  • Halsey Campaign = 392 games over 17 days
  • Mighty Prinz Campaign = 290 +/- games JUST to get the damn 1000 BXP in the final task for a stupid alt T6 perma camo 

Those 2 as said have been the hardest to do grind wise for me. That event to earn the PEF where you had to earn like 4 Million credits in 6 nations was brutal for those who didn't have the PEF already (that let you do 5 at once). I had bought it and had Missouri so it wasn't bad for me but for most that was rough even in PVP.

I am STILL not done with Halsey.

I purchased the Cossask early to cash in on all those 10,000 Elite Captain's xp missions AND to help with the grind.

I purchased PEF to mitigate the grind as well.  I cheated on the last campaign item.  I suited up Big Mo and took her arandoming.  Got the 1k xp and about a million credits on the first try.  I then washed my hands furiously for about three weeks.  :Smile_sad:

Exeter...hard pass.

F/S/W has been a drudge at times and directives 3 and 4 look to be a bit grindy, but nothing I can't handle.  The only camos I want/need are the tier 9 ones.  If I am going to keep a ship, she gets permacamo as soon as I can reasonably make that happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,549
[PVE]
Members
19,835 posts
11,995 battles

There is only one Stage this patch with 4 Directives. The Directives all stay until the end of the patch, so they have more to do than 4 Directives that you have to finish in a week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1
[CO-OP]
Members
8 posts
12,549 battles

I can understand the grindieness, grindyness?  They want the rewards to be kind of special where not everyone has it at the end of the missions.  Adding up all the Ironium you can't even buy a Legendary Module with out doing one of the space battle missions.  And let's face it the bonus containers they give suck as do most of the quest rewards.  For most people its all about getting those Bionic skins.   Unless you just end up buying all the skins, which is what they really want you to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×