You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Aeries1

Triple Gun DD Turret

38 comments in this topic

Members
636 posts
7,729 battles

HA! FOOLED YA!

I AM GETTING SO TIRED OF CVS IN GAME.  THIS EXPERIENCE IS ABYSMAL.  WG WHY DON'T YOU........

Wait.....wait.

Nevermind, that's 80% of the other threads :Smile_teethhappy:.

I know that there are some real naval history buffs around here so I pose a question that popped into my head this morning.

Did the US, or any nation for that matter, ever produce a DD that mounted triple turret guns?

We have some fantastic single and twin mount ships across all nations in the game.

Did any mad scientist ever say hey, let's go with triple mounts.

Cheers.

ROFL, the downvotes, the anti-cv tears flow by the gallon.  Get over it they have deserved some love for years.

Edited by Aeries1
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 5

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,038 posts
7,970 battles

From what I know, the Germans never produced or designed such a turret, and no other nation produced such turrets.

[INR]
Members
1,225 posts
4,060 battles

Not as far as I know. That sounds horribly impractical, anyway.

Members
636 posts
7,729 battles
13 minutes ago, WuYixiang said:

Not as far as I know. That sounds horribly impractical, anyway.

Most gun designs started as single or double mounts then eventually stepped up to triples.  Compare our lower tier BBs and CL/CAs to a couple tiers higher.

Same shell size, now triple mounts.

Pretty common theme.  

And why?

For MOHR POWAH of course :Smile_izmena:.

Members
207 posts

Triple gun mountings require wider and heavier support structures. Destroyer designs depend on the fineness ratio of beam:length and light weight to acheive maximum speed. If you're going to make a fatter ship to accommodate a fatter gun mount, it might as well be a cruiser.

Anyroad, destroyer-calibre guns are fitted in mounts, not turrets. A proper turret is an armoured box rotating atop an armoured barbette structure, whereas a gun mount (even automatically-fed types) are just rotating platforms, with or without any sort of gun shield arrangement. Just thought I'd point that out.

Cheers!

Edited by Hookie_Bell
  • Cool 6

[SYN]
Members
15,693 posts
12,778 battles

The soviets have a quad 100mm

Triple was impractical, because it was really fat

IJN thought about using a triple for Hatsuharu, but it would have been too fat, so they went with a 2+1

[ARGSY]
Members
18,363 posts
12,767 battles

Not that it ever saw service on a destroyer, but the Courageous and Glorious (when they were battlecruisers) carried secondary 4-inch guns in triple mounts. I used to fantasize about putting them on a destroyer or light cruiser hull when I was about nine or ten.

Reportedly the breeches were so close together that the gun crew got in each other's way, and that made it an experiment not worth repeating. To avoid that problem you have to space the breeches out, and that means a wider mount, and that in turn means a significantly wider ship. Size, weight and cost start climbing quite markedly at that point; it's easier to go to power-assisted loading and eventually complete autoloading than it is to put a third gun in a turret on a DD-sized hull.

• Cool 1

[-VT3-]
Members
1,853 posts
3,584 battles

Worth noting that eventually, even double mounts were phased out.  (Largely with the advent of the cruise missile.)

Look at many modern destroyers; a single gun (often a low-caliber autocannon) in the bow, mostly for shooting up Somali pirate skiffs and the like.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,363 posts
12,767 battles
17 minutes ago, DerKrampus said:

Worth noting that eventually, even double mounts were phased out.  (Largely with the advent of the cruise missile.)

Look at many modern destroyers; a single gun (often a low-caliber autocannon) in the bow, mostly for shooting up Somali pirate skiffs and the like.

Hell, you can go even further than that. The first run of Type 22 Frigates (Broadsword-class) had no main gun at all.

The batches that were designed and built in the wake of the Falklands war were altered to include a 4.5 inch gun in the bow. Personally, I don't like the de-emphasis on surface gunfire that dominated the Western navies for so long; the Soviets took a different path during that time, and I think they were right to do so. What always surprised me is that none of the Des Moines class cruisers ever got a Terrier or Talos fit, yet the older Talos Baltimores soldiered on well into the 1970s.

• Cool 1

Members
636 posts
7,729 battles
2 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

The soviets have a quad 100mm

I can see it now.  

A Khab "variant" than some Russian Naval engineer, hammered on a liter of vodka, scribbled on a napkin somewhere....

4 quad 100mm with the IJN 100 mm 1/4 pen rule T10 premium.

Of course it would be a 100/75 or something crazy like that with 1500 m/s velocity that DEFINITELY wouldn't melt the barrels after 10 shots.

Balanse factor, no heal or speed boost...............

LOL, I'd still probable buy for the meme.

Edited by Aeries1

[WOLFG]
Members
8,630 posts
7,045 battles
2 minutes ago, Aeries1 said:

I can see it now.  

A Khab "variant" than some Russian Naval engineer, hammered on a liter of vodka, scribbled on a napkin somewhere....

4 quad 100mm with the IJN 100 mm 1/4 pen rule T10 premium.

Of course it would be a 100/75 or something crazy like that with 1500 m/s velocity that DEFINITELY wouldn't melt the barrels after 10 shots.

Balanse factor, no heal or speed boost...............

LOL, I'd still probable buy for the meme.

Que the Cheeki Breeki music.

Question:  Does it get 2 quad turrets, or 3?

[KOOKS]
[KOOKS]
Modder
726 posts
3,828 battles

Triple turrets? No, and there are actually a few discussions on that on the 'net already. As for 'Mad scientist' ships, the monitor class is a bit of an odd duck. Small ships with large guns, some times one battleship-turret, slow speed for shallow waters.

Members
636 posts
7,729 battles
42 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Que the Cheeki Breeki music.

Question:  Does it get 2 quad turrets, or 3?

No no comrade.

Definitely keeps Khabs 4 turrets of Stalinium powered goodness for 16 barrels of revolution.

[WOLFG]
Members
8,630 posts
7,045 battles
Just now, Aeries1 said:

No no comrade.

Definitely keeps Khabs 4 turrets of Stalinium powered goodness for 16 barrels of revolution.

The mini Lyon. 

Harugumo drives would  be claiming too much Daka.

[INR]
Members
1,225 posts
4,060 battles
5 hours ago, Aeries1 said:

Most gun designs started as single or double mounts then eventually stepped up to triples.  Compare our lower tier BBs and CL/CAs to a couple tiers higher.

Same shell size, now triple mounts.

Pretty common theme.  

And why?

For MOHR POWAH of course :Smile_izmena:.

Triple mounts are heavier and therefore take longer to traverse. Most DD guns are DP, and slower traverse means they can't perform the AA part of the DP as well.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,878 posts
11,515 battles

Historically no Nation fielded a 3x gun per turret set up for a dd. Besides, the extra width needed the extra weight would have made the dd very slow, like 27kts or slower.  In Navy field, you were able to give certain nations dds a 3x turret, but that was also complete fiction. The closest you will get is for a category of smaller DD's known as DDE. These carried 76mm or 3 inch guns in 4x3 configurations.

Members
1,697 posts
8,726 battles

Oh baby a triple!

Sorry couldn't resist.

Anyway, no. Doing so would be too wide unless you did something crazy like stack them vertically. Even super destroyers prioritized speed and having a relatively narrow hull is the best way to achieve that.

Members
636 posts
7,729 battles
2 minutes ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

Oh baby a triple!

Sorry couldn't resist.

Anyway, no. Doing so would be too wide unless you did something crazy like stack them vertically. Even super destroyers prioritized speed and having a relatively narrow hull is the best way to achieve that.

Oh come on.

I'm sure a Russian drooled/barfed on a napkin at some point 70 years ago and WG will say, "Hey, we got a new quad 100 premium".

Will offer for 30k steel of course and pull from shop after a month once relize balans not so balanse.

Wet dream RU ideas must be realized comrade.

Members
1,697 posts
8,726 battles
3 minutes ago, Aeries1 said:

Oh come on.

I'm sure a Russian drooled/barfed on a napkin at some point 70 years ago and WG will say, "Hey, we got a new quad 100 premium".

Will offer for 30k steel of course and pull from shop after a month once relize balans not so balanse.

Wet dream RU ideas must be realized comrade.

Well if we're getting into Russian paper, anything is possible.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,289 posts
22,304 battles
2 minutes ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

Well if we're getting into Russian paper, anything is possible.

[Laughs in Khabarovsk 50mm armor]

Members
636 posts
7,729 battles
11 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

[Laughs in Khabarovsk 50mm armor]

"Stumbles/slurs/pukes across room"  

Comrade.

I have historic realize of stronk Russian DD.

It has (puke/stumble) 50mm of armor.

Re-educates at 50 kts.

Mounts (piss/shats self) 16 100mm/75 that with the hand of stalinium metal will not so much as get hot for 5000 round continuous (barf) fire.

Shoots every 3 seconds at 1500 m/s "shat"

That sounds glorious comrade.  Will build in 2 months.  

For the glory of (passes out/shats/pukes self) Stalin.

Pile of Poo on Apple iOS 12.2 COMING TO A PREMIUM SHOP NEAR YOU SUMMER 2019!!

Members
164 posts
800 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

the older Talos Baltimores soldiered on well into the 1970s.

Not just Baltimores. The Terrier and Talos CLG's were Clevelands.

I know. I rode one. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1