Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_BBaby

Player suggestion: US BB line split

6 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,324
[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,080 posts
4,399 battles

With the imminent (soon™) Georgia, the second tier 9 premium US battleship, and the technically 3 battleships at tier 8, I feel like a line split similar to the cruisers might prove to be an interesting idea. High tiers are starting to become saturated with Iowa and South Dakota class ships (among others). The A-B-Y 3x3 has become the norm for the US and I feel like Georgia is trying to deviate from that. Why not take it one step further? I think a line split would prove very beneficial to the US tree. It could help re-evaluate the meta, introduce new content, and vary our choices of US BBs a bit.

 

What would be the characteristics of these new ships?

I feel like originally all the way back in beta, America was designed to be an AA focused nation. Their battleships were no exception. Great AA, and a little nudge towards AA specs here and there with ships like the Texas and NC, as well as the module selection (better dispersion mods and less competition against AA mods in slot 3). As we all know, CVs didn't exactly become a popular class, and AA specs were largely dismissed in exchange for tank builds. Now, post-rework we are seeing quite a bit more planes, and they are being mixed into scenarios and such. I personally think a new US BB line with enough AA to make it a go-to spec would prove very interesting.  It doesn't have to be a wall of invulnerability, nor should it demand a full 12 point setup. Just enough to be a unique feature that is pretty fun to use, similar to French secondaries. Of course this is all pending any and all AA  and flak changes that can/will be made.

Some key characteristics of my halfway decent proposal:

  • Defensive AA consumable (swappable for fighter or spotter aircraft).
  • Less guns/unique layouts.  (if possible)I'm not saying a 3x2 is okay at tier 9, but maybe a 4x2. Not sure if any historical ships line up well, but something other than the normal  3x3 would be nice... At least at tiers 8 and 9.
  • Lighter, faster, more fragile. Almost battlecruiser. Nimble guys that can scoot around. Like a Bourgogne or Hoods survivability.
  • Pretty good accuracy/dispersion. With less guns, it needs enough accuracy to at least function at range, but low enough that it encourages and rewards pushing in intelligently.
  • Since at least some AA skills/upgrades will become a typical build (to a degree), they should at least have respectable secondaries. Maybe 6 or 7 km if you work for it.

Basically fragile ships with great AA that are encouraged to push in. Almost like a Hood in a lot of ways. 

 

Where would this line start?

I am nowhere near a history buff. Most everything I know about WW2 I learned from Wargaming:Smile_hiding:. I'm not going to rattle off names of ships that should be included, nor will I make up a bunch of meaningless stats. However I can voice my 2 cents on where the line should split off though, and there is options. My thoughts were tiers 4,6, or 8.

  • Obviously, WG probably only wants 1 tier 3 BB as to not over-complicate decisions for new guys... So the earliest possible out would be at tier 4. Wyoming or 'X' ship. It would allow complete development of a full line, and maybe add some separation between fasties and fatties. 
  • Tier 6 was my second choice. Plopped right in the middle. Mostly would serve as step down from the tier 8. Splitting at tier 8 would just cram higher tiers more, but at tier 6 you could still get some background.
  • Tier 8 would probably be a bad idea. Unless you made NC head up the new 'lighter' BB line I am proposing, it would multiply the blow from Colorado to NC big time. Plus, it wouldn't be doing the tier 8+ USN BB crowd any favors, other than just adding 3 more contenders to the pile. At this point its like WoT's Russian medium tanks.
  • Hybrid idea! What if they started separate then conjoined at tier 8? The alternate line could be much lighter than New Mex and Colorado, so it would be a smoother transition to NC. 

How would this help? The jump from Colorado to NC is quite a big one. You are jumping from essentially a dreadnought to a fast battleship that frankly is a gem of the line. A lot of people miss out. Starting down fairly low would help out because people could see a clear cut difference. Of course WG could mix and match like they did with the Cleveland, but a separate line designed and balanced correctly would alleviate a lot of issues. You could chose from agility and gunnery for the perfect jack of all trades of the current BB line. 

 

Problems this could cause?

  1. CV's were, and obviously still are, a sore subject. A new branch of ships with pre-determined good AA builds might not sit well with the population. The line would need to have enough focus on AA to make it interesting, but WG should focus on making them more agile and fragile than selling them as AA boats. Give them great AA and DFAA, and leave it at that
  2. It also would overpopulate the US tree. Italians still on the waiting list and yet we see our 6th US tree? (7th if you count the promised alternate carriers). A small price to pay for a good change, but the USN tree would be overloaded. It would not be too absurd to have the line start separate and then come together at tier 8 would it?

 

TL;DR

I would like to see an alternate BB line branching off from tiers 4 or 6. The line would feature fewer guns on a much lighter hull, coupled with rather potent AA capabilities (including DFAA). It could function at range, but would perform best when it moves in closer to the action and engages/disengages when appropriate. This would help smooth out the US BB line from tier 6 and 7 to 8 and 9, as well as giving us a nice nation of heavier battlecruisers. Alternatively, to prevent over-clogging the US tree, the lines could start separate and join up at tier 8.

 

 

What do you all think? I personally would like to see something similar done to Japanese ships, where they split into lighter BBs (Amagi and Kongo) and heavier (Nagato and Yamato). Maybe give the lighter BBs torpedoes? Not sure if history agrees with me on that one:Smile-_tongue:

 

Best of luck out there:Smile_honoring:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
158
[LOIN]
Supertester
777 posts

I would say the split should happen around tier 5 similar to cruisers. Tier 4 I think is still a little too early for a split to start from. Because at 4 one is still pretty new to battleships. But overall, I like your ideas though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
165
[WULUF]
Beta Testers
522 posts
9,489 battles
1 hour ago, _1204_ said:

With the imminent (soon™) Georgia, the second tier 9 premium US battleship, and the technically 3 battleships at tier 8, I feel like a line split similar to the cruisers might prove to be an interesting idea. High tiers are starting to become saturated with Iowa and South Dakota class ships (among others). The A-B-Y 3x3 has become the norm for the US and I feel like Georgia is trying to deviate from that. Why not take it one step further? I think a line split would prove very beneficial to the US tree. It could help re-evaluate the meta, introduce new content, and vary our choices of US BBs a bit.

 

What would be the characteristics of these new ships?

I feel like originally all the way back in beta, America was designed to be an AA focused nation. Their battleships were no exception. Great AA, and a little nudge towards AA specs here and there with ships like the Texas and NC, as well as the module selection (better dispersion mods and less competition against AA mods in slot 3). As we all know, CVs didn't exactly become a popular class, and AA specs were largely dismissed in exchange for tank builds. Now, post-rework we are seeing quite a bit more planes, and they are being mixed into scenarios and such. I personally think a new US BB line with enough AA to make it a go-to spec would prove very interesting.  It doesn't have to be a wall of invulnerability, nor should it demand a full 12 point setup. Just enough to be a unique feature that is pretty fun to use, similar to French secondaries. Of course this is all pending any and all AA  and flak changes that can/will be made.

Some key characteristics of my halfway decent proposal:

  • Defensive AA consumable (swappable for fighter or spotter aircraft).
  • Less guns/unique layouts.  (if possible)I'm not saying a 3x2 is okay at tier 9, but maybe a 4x2. Not sure if any historical ships line up well, but something other than the normal  3x3 would be nice... At least at tiers 8 and 9.
  • Lighter, faster, more fragile. Almost battlecruiser. Nimble guys that can scoot around. Like a Bourgogne or Hoods survivability.
  • Pretty good accuracy/dispersion. With less guns, it needs enough accuracy to at least function at range, but low enough that it encourages and rewards pushing in intelligently.
  • Since at least some AA skills/upgrades will become a typical build (to a degree), they should at least have respectable secondaries. Maybe 6 or 7 km if you work for it.

Basically fragile ships with great AA that are encouraged to push in. Almost like a Hood in a lot of ways. 

 

Where would this line start?

I am nowhere near a history buff. Most everything I know about WW2 I learned from Wargaming:Smile_hiding:. I'm not going to rattle off names of ships that should be included, nor will I make up a bunch of meaningless stats. However I can voice my 2 cents on where the line should split off though, and there is options. My thoughts were tiers 4,6, or 8.

  • Obviously, WG probably only wants 1 tier 3 BB as to not over-complicate decisions for new guys... So the earliest possible out would be at tier 4. Wyoming or 'X' ship. It would allow complete development of a full line, and maybe add some separation between fasties and fatties. 
  • Tier 6 was my second choice. Plopped right in the middle. Mostly would serve as step down from the tier 8. Splitting at tier 8 would just cram higher tiers more, but at tier 6 you could still get some background.
  • Tier 8 would probably be a bad idea. Unless you made NC head up the new 'lighter' BB line I am proposing, it would multiply the blow from Colorado to NC big time. Plus, it wouldn't be doing the tier 8+ USN BB crowd any favors, other than just adding 3 more contenders to the pile. At this point its like WoT's Russian medium tanks.
  • Hybrid idea! What if they started separate then conjoined at tier 8? The alternate line could be much lighter than New Mex and Colorado, so it would be a smoother transition to NC. 

How would this help? The jump from Colorado to NC is quite a big one. You are jumping from essentially a dreadnought to a fast battleship that frankly is a gem of the line. A lot of people miss out. Starting down fairly low would help out because people could see a clear cut difference. Of course WG could mix and match like they did with the Cleveland, but a separate line designed and balanced correctly would alleviate a lot of issues. You could chose from agility and gunnery for the perfect jack of all trades of the current BB line. 

 

Problems this could cause?

  1. CV's were, and obviously still are, a sore subject. A new branch of ships with pre-determined good AA builds might not sit well with the population. The line would need to have enough focus on AA to make it interesting, but WG should focus on making them more agile and fragile than selling them as AA boats. Give them great AA and DFAA, and leave it at that
  2. It also would overpopulate the US tree. Italians still on the waiting list and yet we see our 6th US tree? (7th if you count the promised alternate carriers). A small price to pay for a good change, but the USN tree would be overloaded. It would not be too absurd to have the line start separate and then come together at tier 8 would it?

 

TL;DR

I would like to see an alternate BB line branching off from tiers 4 or 6. The line would feature fewer guns on a much lighter hull, coupled with rather potent AA capabilities (including DFAA). It could function at range, but would perform best when it moves in closer to the action and engages/disengages when appropriate. This would help smooth out the US BB line from tier 6 and 7 to 8 and 9, as well as giving us a nice nation of heavier battlecruisers. Alternatively, to prevent over-clogging the US tree, the lines could start separate and join up at tier 8.

 

 

What do you all think? I personally would like to see something similar done to Japanese ships, where they split into lighter BBs (Amagi and Kongo) and heavier (Nagato and Yamato). Maybe give the lighter BBs torpedoes? Not sure if history agrees with me on that one:Smile-_tongue:

 

Best of luck out there:Smile_honoring:

You could use USS Nevada 1943 for Higher T5

Nevada Rough3a Slop Guess Measurment2.png

Nevada Rough3a Slop Guess Measurment3.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
158
[LOIN]
Supertester
777 posts
On 4/9/2019 at 11:41 PM, LL_JuneBug said:

You could use USS Nevada 1943 for Higher T5

Nevada Rough3a Slop Guess Measurment2.png

Nevada Rough3a Slop Guess Measurment3.png

As a 6 I can see that, 5? Idk. The armor on it was more or less similar to the Pennsylvanias.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
165
[WULUF]
Beta Testers
522 posts
9,489 battles
45 minutes ago, Starfleet1701 said:

As a 6 I can see that, 5? Idk. The armor on it was more or less similar to the Pennsylvanias.

yea, thats why I was saying like a High, or over powered 5, but yea prob 6. Especially in the 43 rebuild, the AA would be to fabulous in real life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
517
[POP]
Members
821 posts
8,002 battles

I like the idea of a split line however I would like that line to be more like the Massachusetts.   Could start at 5, make a ship similar to the Texas but with stronger AA and beast secondaries for her tier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×