You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Rumple010

Torpedo Acceleration on USN CVs, what's the verdict?

22 comments in this topic

[WOLFC]
Members
685 posts
24,978 battles

Is it worth putting torpedo acceleration on Ranger, Lexington or Midway? I'm busy leveling the commanders on these ships and I'd like to know people's opinions before I have the skill points to spend.

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,758 posts
12,353 battles
7 minutes ago, Rumple010 said:

Is it worth putting torpedo acceleration on Ranger, Lexington or Midway? I'm busy leveling the commanders on these ships and I'd like to know people's opinions before I have the skill points to spend.

I personally don't use it, the 5 knot increase in speed is offset by a proportional increase in minimum arming distance along with the reduction in range. So if the target has 5 seconds to evade the torpedo without Torpedo Acceleration, they have 5 seconds with it. I normally drop on broadside targets, as close as reasonable, so there's not really any benefit for me using it, and no real penalty either, so I just save the points. The increased arming distance isn't listed in the skill, you find it the hard way by looking at the stats of the torpedoes in game with and without the captain. Torpedo Acceleration has always worked this way, it's just with RTS carriers, we were eyeballing our arming distances so an extra 60 meters or so wasn't noticeable, and while visible to a DD, their torpedoes arm so quickly it doesn't really matter. With torpedo bombers now, we have a line on screen that shows us exactly where our torpedoes will be arming.

If you find yourself dropping at longer ranges than minimum arming, or dropping on retreating targets a lot, then Torpedo Acceleration may be worth it.

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
2,929 posts
8,460 battles

You really don't have anywhere else to put those 3 pts if you got a 19 pts captain so might as well get it.

[SYN]
Members
15,688 posts
12,778 battles

Well, what else are you going to take?

There's literally only two other options, AR and IE, only one of which is actually useful.

However, they all have one thing in common and that's changing your aiming/arming distance required

Edited by MrDeaf

Beta Testers
671 posts
2,542 battles

It's worth, 35 knts torpedoes are a joke.

The increase in arming time is never worst than the slower torpedoes, faster torpedoes catch ships doing turns better than slow ones, the same when you're trying to smoke out a DD.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
671 posts
2,542 battles
2 hours ago, Rumple010 said:

Basically, get every plane upgrade besides the T4 commander skills, those are pretty much useless.

The aiming time reduce is nothing, for DBs you'll be dropping close to the end anyway so It'll always focus unless you're doing a curve shot, the stealth is a quality of life since it increases your CV survivability but for planes it's useless since they'll still be able to spoot you miles away, even with double stealth upgrades your detectability with planes is 8km.

Members
2,633 posts
4,235 battles
1 minute ago, ALROCHA said:

It's worth, 35 knts torpedoes are a joke.

The increase in arming time is never worst than the slower torpedoes, faster torpedoes catch ships doing turns better than slow ones, the same when you're trying to smoke out a DD.

This is my observation as well.  The additional arming time just requires a bit more adjustment,  but that five knots can mean the difference in hitting a ship you are 'chasing' with torpedoes and not.  

Beta Testers
671 posts
2,542 battles
Just now, Palladia said:

This is my observation as well.  The additional arming time just requires a bit more adjustment,  but that five knots can mean the difference in hitting a ship you are 'chasing' with torpedoes and not.  

If you go for LittleWhiteMouse guides on torpedoes you'll see that the reaction time a person has actually goes down with this upgrade.

Beta Testers
2,855 posts
9,029 battles
4 hours ago, SgtBeltfed said:

I personally don't use it, the 5 knot increase in speed is offset by a proportional increase in minimum arming distance along with the reduction in range. So if the target has 5 seconds to evade the torpedo without Torpedo Acceleration, they have 5 seconds with it. I normally drop on broadside targets, as close as reasonable, so there's not really any benefit for me using it, and no real penalty either, so I just save the points. The increased arming distance isn't listed in the skill, you find it the hard way by looking at the stats of the torpedoes in game with and without the captain. Torpedo Acceleration has always worked this way, it's just with RTS carriers, we were eyeballing our arming distances so an extra 60 meters or so wasn't noticeable, and while visible to a DD, their torpedoes arm so quickly it doesn't really matter. With torpedo bombers now, we have a line on screen that shows us exactly where our torpedoes will be arming.

If you find yourself dropping at longer ranges than minimum arming, or dropping on retreating targets a lot, then Torpedo Acceleration may be worth it.

Torpedoes arm based on time, not distance. If they are dropped from the same distance to the enemy ship they will hit it faster with torpedo acceleration. Since it's advisable to drop from as far as possible while still landing the torpedoes to avoid plane losses in some circumstances, I don't see any reason to skip this perk when there are no alternatives for a CV's build really. 

[CYNIC]
Members
2,638 posts
5,800 battles

Don't leave port without it.  You will hit far more ships with it.  During re-spec I tested out all sorts of things and didn't have time to re-spec my captain before it dropped.  Not re-equipping it in time cost me!  HUGE difference with and without.   ALL US AND RN CV CAPS GET TORP ACCEL -- No question about it.  Anyone who says otherwise is wanting you to be less lethal in battle.

[K0]
Members
1,754 posts
7,870 battles

The minor benefit of having closer arming distance has never been and still isn't worth having sluggish torpedoes. If you're skipping out on TA for USN and RN CVs, you're only gimping your damage output by making your torpedoes easier to dodge, especially when it comes to DDs and basically anything that frequently moves at 30 knots or higher. IJN I think you can skip over TA for IE when setting up the first 10 to 13 points, but it's worth considering after that (barring the now-dead Hakuryu-kaze build).

[WOLFC]
Members
685 posts
24,978 battles

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Looks like I'll be adding TA to my commanders once I have the skill points.

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,758 posts
12,353 battles
9 hours ago, NeoRussia said:

Torpedoes arm based on time, not distance. If they are dropped from the same distance to the enemy ship they will hit it faster with torpedo acceleration. Since it's advisable to drop from as far as possible while still landing the torpedoes to avoid plane losses in some circumstances, I don't see any reason to skip this perk when there are no alternatives for a CV's build really. 

My experience was the exact opposite.  The small addition to drop distance made no difference to aircraft survival, the alternative to Torpedo Acceleration is higher aircraft speed or something along those lines, and that directly affects aircraft survival for all aircraft, not just torpedo bombers.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
2,929 posts
8,460 battles

Still not much of an alternative left once you get to 19 pts on the captain.

TA would simply not be the first choice to pick.

Members
1,697 posts
8,726 battles
On 4/9/2019 at 9:45 PM, Vader_Sama said:

You really don't have anywhere else to put those 3 pts if you got a 19 pts captain so might as well get it.

It's two points and I personally don't use it.

[NSEW]
Members
1,725 posts
10,368 battles

Having recently researched T4 Tin trainer (quickly FXP'd to T6 Ranger). Could anybody recommend from scratch which Captain skills are suited for USN CVs. Then followed by which Upgrades are optimal/ideal. I will for a change in my whole career in Warships, actually not sell the current ship for the next tier up (I used to sell them due to lack of credits). Trying to change my habits you see. :)

I have literally just reset my Captain skills to change it up (missed the Free Redistribute window, didn't have the Ranger at the time). Do have enough to rejig my upgrades so far. My CV is fully researched.

These are what I have already mounted:

• Air Group Mod 1
  • Aircraft Engines Mod 1
  • Attack Aircraft Mod 1
  • Bombers Mod 2

Something of note. I have noticed that with the Bombers. Their attack time is significantly lower than T6 RN CV. There have been countless instances where my drop window expired right on top of the target ships. Which was annoying to say the least. 

Looking forward to your suggestions. Thanks in advance.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
2,929 posts
8,460 battles
2 hours ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

It's two points and I personally don't use it.

Either way it doesn't leave much of an alternative of getting either demo expert and priority target or two of the other 2 pt skills (adrenaline rush or jack of all trades) assuming you have 19 pts to use.

Though Adrenaline rush is probably the most useless and counter intuitive skill to get.

Demo expert and priority target would most likely be more preferred when using US or even RN CVs while the IJN becomes a waste of points to use.

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,288 posts
6,102 battles

after playing the brit cvs,ijn cvs,and usn cvs. the torpedo acceleration is a must to all,specially the usn.

us torp bomber torp speed sucks,you NEED the torp acceleration.

ijn torps are pretty fast.

UK torps are second place,they aim faster but are a little slower than ijn.

i didn't play graf zep to know about her  torp speed,but from what i could see,a rushed drop  make the torps spread a lot.

[CUTE]
Supertester
343 posts
10,043 battles

I take torp acceleration in all my USN and RN carriers. Couldn't recommend more.

[B_Y_F]
Members
502 posts
11,933 battles

no, not on USN.

This skill dont change the time your tropedos get to the white active line. So, if you do last minute drop(which is most USN TB do), this skill do not improve your efficiency at most case.

In the other hand, when in the case you try to break and turn back to try a second drop, that increase of active range will make it either you need to take a wider turn hince spent more time in AA zone or not enough range to narrow down the aim.

Also, slower tropedo speed sometimes give you a bigger widow of  "cross drop" opportunity.