You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
YBlud

Game Losing It's Appeal

61 comments in this topic

[FLNVY]
[FLNVY]
Members
4 posts
11,970 battles

Idk about everyone else- but this game is rapidly losing it's appeal. I'm not a great player but I log on each day to do my grind and try and get better. But here for a while now, between being bottom tier 4 games out of 5 and having no way to defend against the endless waves of aircraft- it's just not a lot of fun. It's more about trying to eke out some kind of damage and xp in the few minutes I have in a game before I get sunk and start it all over again. I don't mind getting sunk- I do mind not being to accomplish anything worthwhile for myself or my team. I wasn't a doom and gloom'er when the cv re-vamp came out- I figured I could wait it out till they got the game re-balanced. But it's warped so many different facets of the game that I guess my patience has worn out. I don't think anything will change after I write this, but I felt I had to raise my concerns somewhere before I up and quit. For whatever it's worth...

• Cool 37
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[--K--]
[--K--]
Members
4,213 posts
19,225 battles
8 minutes ago, YBlud said:

Idk about everyone else- but this game is rapidly losing it's appeal. I'm not a great player but I log on each day to do my grind and try and get better. But here for a while now, between being bottom tier 4 games out of 5 and having no way to defend against the endless waves of aircraft- it's just not a lot of fun. It's more about trying to eke out some kind of damage and xp in the few minutes I have in a game before I get sunk and start it all over again. I don't mind getting sunk- I do mind not being to accomplish anything worthwhile for myself or my team. I wasn't a doom and gloom'er when the cv re-vamp came out- I figured I could wait it out till they got the game re-balanced. But it's warped so many different facets of the game that I guess my patience has worn out. I don't think anything will change after I write this, but I felt I had to raise my concerns somewhere before I up and quit. For whatever it's worth...

It's frustrating and hard for very good and experienced players now, alot of them aren't having any fun with it either.

If I was a new player I'd be quitting this game too in frustration 

Edited by silverdahc
  • Cool 10

Members
5,112 posts
9,462 battles
6 minutes ago, YBlud said:

few minutes I have in a game before I get sunk and start it all over again.

Then don't get in too close and die - seriously.  I have been in plenty of tier 7 and 8 games and didn't die and did 80K damage.  Have to learn to stay alive and use what you can to stay alive and shot shells.  Took me a long time to get used to it and it is not every game I do that.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 5

[-K-]
WoWS Community Contributors
939 posts
11,679 battles

I do concur. I still have fun, but the new CV meta has made it hard for randoms.

Never thought id miss the old RTS CVs but I do now!

• Cool 1

[CHBK]
Members
562 posts
2,691 battles
13 minutes ago, _greifer said:

You don't miss the old style, you miss the fact that you would only see a cv in a match 10% of the time.

• Cool 11
  • Funny 1

[P237B]
Members
156 posts
1,110 battles
1 minute ago, Taco_De_Moist said:

You don't miss the old style, you miss the fact that you would only see a cv in a match 10% of the time.

The only time that the old style really was bad was two instances.

1) The impact of player skill disparity was far greater than 1/12th of the team, especially at higher tiers. A bad T8 CV captain against a really good T8 (often in an OP prem,) meant the match was pretty over at the start.

2) The way that the T10 CV could simply delete ships off the map.

But rather than try to find a balance or fix for that, a total rework... which is definitely still experiencing growing pains.

• Cool 3
  • Meh 1

[5D2]
Supertester
2,309 posts
22,603 battles

I actually like the CVs and the rework. I play CV alot but only because it's new. Once you unlock all the branches it just becomes really redundant. I find my interest declining just because there is nothing to do aside from play the same game the same way over and over. I have no interest in the Russian bbs because they just bow tank better than ships that already bow tank. There just isn't much to dom even space battles are appallingly bland once you own the tier 10s for randoms anyway.

Edit: Also the forum isn't as fun, it's mostly just pro and anti CV threads with the same arguments over and over. It used to be more fun to come here and talk about what the game was and could be and now it's just stagnant pond water for discussion.

Edited by Skuggsja
  • Cool 4

[RCNW3]
Beta Testers
3,025 posts
24,623 battles
21 minutes ago, _greifer said:

I do concur. I still have fun, but the new CV meta has made it hard for randoms.

So true

[ZR]
Beta Testers
263 posts
9,290 battles

I share you feelings, fell in love with the game during CBT. I probably have like 10k ish including CBT and all the different game modes. But the rework and CVs in general just killed my interest. 

To me and what seems like a lot of other players, the rework was the last straw. WOWS is not a perfect game, but it’s still really fun. And this was in spite of uneven radar per side, being bottom tier, detonations, and other minor things. CVs where just too much in the first place, but the rework gave people hope that maybe it would get better so they kept playing with that hope in mind. But now everyone can see CV are still bad for the game, no matter how many times WG tries to change them.

• Cool 6

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
18,617 battles
51 minutes ago, YBlud said:

As you correctly identify, the player base has gone from a generally satisfactory 1/4 positive outcomes to a generally unsatisfactory 1/5 positive outcomes … 

This would represent the difference between a 25% success rate and a 20% success rate - a drop of exactly 5% 

It is not a coincidence that the returning and now active population of CV players is estimated at 5% … 

Therefore, WG needs to remove that 5% in order to restore balance and get us back to an overall 25% success rate - and everyone will be Happy Again :)

Do The Math WG!

Edited by Commander_367
  • Boring 1

Members
692 posts
5,339 battles

I sincerely hope they just revert this utter failure of a rework. No one is happy. Only the unicums and USN CVs are effective so the rest playing CV have a generally unpleasant time while getting 50k dmg on a good game. And for what? DD players are still upset anyway. I can’t wait until they realize how horribly the handled this and bring back cross drops. That’ll be delectable.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

Members
689 posts
7,037 battles

I mostly just want to mention that this whole reversal of opinions on RTS CVs is a classic example of Prospect Theory in action, although admittedly in a somewhat unusual context.

Regarding the new CVs, I find it somewhat surprising that some players seem to consider them game-breaking. At tier 6 (the main tier OP plays at), average damage stats for CVs have fallen since the rework. Building a narrative of getting repeatedly sunk early by CVs which only have half the average damage needed to sink your ship seems rather dubious to me. Additionally, as already mentioned by some others in this thread, the variance in performance has diminished immensely, to the point that getting the 'good' CV player on your team now matters much less. In my mind the main sin of this update is in how monotone* they've made CVs.

Instead, at least in OP's case I would point out that his remarks and stats both suggest a very aggressive playstyle that seems to be getting him focused and killed early. YBlud, while taking the lead is admirable, you should also be aware that your team also needs you in the late game. Committing to a push or close range engagement before you know the disposition of the enemy is foolhardy. If I can give you some advice, it's to focus on getting up that 27% survival rate. Discretion is the better part of valor, as they say.

*I'm trying to find the right word here. I just don't see much difference in strategy between the good and bad CV players beyond how well they drop and target selection, which suggests to me a rather flat meta.

Edited by senseNOTmade
  • Boring 1

Members
5,112 posts
9,462 battles
5 minutes ago, KnifeInUrNeck said:

No one is happy.

Including the ones I see playing, that mentioned in this thread they like it, and I know several folks who have no real issues with the rework...  So much for 'no one'.

[--K--]
[--K--]
Members
4,213 posts
19,225 battles

Remember the epic endings that so many games had where you're fighting to the last man you may only have one hit point left and all you need to do is survive

Or you played your heart out your strategy and good positioning and you held you side all by yourself 

Oh I forgot the CV trash man's coming gonna clean up all the mess no strategy no hiding nothing you can do

Boom your dead 

So fun

Now the games just come down to who can actually hit the targets that are spotted as quick as possible and punish any rookie mistakes 

Them poor rookies I bet you they had a fun game wanna come back for more

Edited by silverdahc
  • Cool 6
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
18,182 posts
12,658 battles

Whatever problems I have had playing destroyers in Randoms, they have not been due to aircraft, when present.

I am inclined to think that all the whining from the destroyer players about how terrible the new aircraft are is a load of horsetwaddle.

• Cool 5
  • Meh 4

[S-N-D]
Members
3,271 posts
7,658 battles
1 hour ago, YBlud said:

Bye Felicia.

• Boring 2
  • Meh 5

[SBS]
Members
5,198 posts
8 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Whatever problems I have had playing destroyers in Randoms, they have not been due to aircraft, when present.

I am inclined to think that all the whining from the destroyer players about how terrible the new aircraft are is a load of horsetwaddle.

If you play low tiers you may not be too worried about CVs while playing your DDs.  High tiers I'd guess its a bit different.  What DDs are you playing?

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
18,617 battles
19 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

If you play low tiers you may not be too worried about CVs while playing your DDs.  High tiers I'd guess its a bit different.  What DDs are you playing?

He's not a DD main, he's just spouting off … 

In no way has he answered any of the OP's concerns 

Edited by Commander_367

[PHD]
Members
1,214 posts
5,383 battles

At least you get to play. Since 8.2.0 my PC is apparently locking up on the video. Support had me update my video drivers, no luck, so I may take a break for a while maybe till 0.8.3.

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

Yep, for me the gaming is losing its appeal too. Current gameplay is just boring. Being constantly spotted. Having to play passive because i need to stay in a blob/lemming train to avoid CVs. Im playing less and less, and when i do play, i dont have much fun. 

• Cool 2

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,718 posts
8,649 battles
2 hours ago, _greifer said:

Large part of the reason why you miss old RTS CVs could be because we didn't actually have any meaningful number of them in the queue for the past year or so :) 

I still would take current CVs over an old Haku that could triple torp drop you, or spot you forever. Just wish DB damage wasn't so crazy against destroyers. That's the single most broken thing right now, IMO.

[-K-]
WoWS Community Contributors
939 posts
11,679 battles

1 minute ago, vak_ said:

The only reason you miss old RTS CVs is because we didn't actually have any meaningful number of them in the queue in the past year or so :) 

I still prefer current CVs over an old Haku that could triple torp drop you, or spot you forever.

To be honest the only aspect I miss of the old CVs was the limited planes.

An enemy CV has to pick his targets or he would be de-planed quickly. That isn't so critical any more, but its only in certain games. I liked the new CV format, but not how its been deployed.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,718 posts
8,649 battles
1 minute ago, _greifer said:

I liked the new CV format, but not how its been deployed.

Yeah, same. There is potential, but balance/meta is out of whack. It's still possible to successfully play DDs that rely on concealment and do well in them, it's just more frustrating than it used to be.

Oh well, for now I'm just enjoying space battles, and not thinking too much about the state of randoms.

• Cool 1