Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Pyun

Yukikaze Is Trash (testing phase)

22 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

66
[_ARP_]
Members
155 posts
3,293 battles

Does wargaming think that adding one of the most useless consumables in the game will make this legendary ship good? Nope. They must really be salty from Tsushima. First the Azuma and now the Yukikaze. These ships are the most pitiful premium ships to come out. 

 

The Yukikaze was called the "Unsinkable ship and the miracle ship." It was the one of the most survivable ship in the War and had an amazing combat record. It would only be reasonable to give the thing a good heal. Much more reasonable than the Neutershimy's heal. When I read the dev blog statement for the Yukikaze, I was laughing at how important they made the speed boost seemed. The speed boost is actually detrimental for the ship. Fly into danger even faster than before!!! Like what is wargaming thinking? This must be an April fools joke.

 

Here is what I think will make it acceptable(PICK 1, 2....or 3 of these changes. Ok, just one.  :cap_book:)

  • Either A HEAL(which would make the most sense given its historical accuracy)
  • Torpedus reload booster
  • Switch to the type 93 mod 2 torpedos with 10km range. It is a tier 8 ship so it will get MM'd with 10km radar. The current 8km torps is suicide in the current antidd meta.
  • Hydro. It would be the only IJN dd with Hydro.
  • Do something special with the guns
  • Improve the turning radius/maneuverability. Make it have the best turning radius for a dd in its class. This would synergize well with the speed boost. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_destroyer_Yukikaze_(1939)

 

 

Edited by Pyun
  • Cool 4
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
124 posts
10,232 battles

I already have 2 tier 8 IJN DD premiums in the Harekaze and Asashio, both with unique, vastly different playstyles that are fun and engaging for what they are. This boat looks like it has nothing to offer. Unless they plan on retiring all of the other 8s and leave Yukikaze as our only option, I see zero reason for this to be sold. I do fork out $/fxp/coal/etc. for boats, but I see no reason to do so with this one without some vast alterations.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
777
[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,933 posts
13,321 battles

didn't realize it had only 8k torps...ouch...its Japanese for goodness sakes!  If a British T8 DD can have 10k torps, the Japanese should have 12k!!  Easy pass.  Your ideas are sound, I really like the hydro idea, something very situational, but different, and the heal good idea.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,440
[KWF]
Members
4,039 posts
6,189 battles

First of all, Yukikaze shouldn't be judged only as a ship believe it or not. Since she will be part of an Azur Lane x WoWs collaboration there will be quite a few people that will grab her just due to the ties with a famous  mobile game and to get her Commander as well.

 As for the proposals I wouldn't go that route. Since the IJN torpedo boat line is pretty fragile, I would give her instead a big helping of HP. Something close to 18-19.5k. With Survivability Expert that could be another 2.8k HP. That would help with enduring radar and give her an edge in fighting even some gunboats. And as an added benefit you keep the fame of the "unsinkable ship"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,662
[A-RQL]
Members
9,128 posts
10,602 battles

Lol @ speed boost being useless.

 

My friend, 255 rounds in a DD does not make you the be all and end all expert you seem to feel you are. Aside from Haragumo, you have 31 rounds in tech tree DDs, and even with it, you have less than 100 rounds in tech tree DDs. Premium DDs don't teach you how to DD, tech tree Dds do. You free xp'd your way to T10 in both IJN DD lines, and aside from premiums haven't touched another nations DDs. For all intents and purposes, you're very much in the early learning phase of DDs.

 

Speed boost is extremely important to DDs, for the opposite reason you think it's meant to be used for. I primarily use it to get out of danger, not to get into it. I'll use it at times to stage a torp run, but I use it 99% of the time to cover ground faster to be where I'm needed and to get my butt out of harms way.

 

You are primarily a BB player, the other 3 classes combined don't equal your BB rounds played, so I'm honestly not surprised you're way off the mark on this. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
112
[B2P]
Members
259 posts
7,041 battles
27 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Lol @ speed boost being useless.

-snipped-

While I'm certainly no pro-DD player myself, anyone who has earnestly attempted to learn fine aspects of destroyers knows that speed boost on those ships is not for closing in, it's for increasing your maneuverability in short spaces through faster acceleration, deceleration, and reverse as well as permitting faster exit away from incoming shells, radars, and hydros. Or capture point hopping, if time is of the essence.  

If this guy finds speed boost only puts him in danger faster, that means he's using SB purely to put himself in the wrong positions even faster, and making himself even more detrimental. Even French Cruisers only use SB to move from one side to another or play the guessing game of speed at long range like Henri's so trollishly do at high tier. Only Richelieu and especially Jean Bart can use Speed Boost to any significant aggressive advancement from what I've seen, largely against other battleships to out maneuver them and their turret traverse, or to throw off torpedos  and planes (defensive maneuvers), or get into positions people don't expect a BB to already be in (a well thought out one.) 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
6,037 posts
7,048 battles

It's almost like WG is afraid to make a Kagero clone that's on-par with Kagero. As if they're afraid Kagero is under performing and having a premium clone with a slight gimmick will make her under performance glaringly obvious.

Oh wait....

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,770
[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles

@Pyun  Enough with the over the top hyperbole.  

The Yukikaze in its latest for is NOT "trash".  Would I buy it?  Probably not.  But it's NOT "trash".  It's just sub par.  Seriously, are people like you incapable of communicating without using over the top hyperbole???

1 hour ago, Pyun said:

Here is what I think will make it acceptable(PICK 1, 2....or 3 of these changes. Ok, just one.  :cap_book:)

  • Either A HEAL(which would make the most sense given its historical accuracy)
  • Torpedus reload booster
  • Switch to the type 93 mod 2 torpedos with 10km range. It is a tier 8 ship so it will get MM'd with 10km radar. The current 8km torps is suicide in the current antidd meta.
  • Hydro. It would be the only IJN dd with Hydro.
  • Do something special with the guns
  • Improve the turning radius/maneuverability. Make it have the best turning radius for a dd in its class. This would synergize well with the speed boost. 

I disagree with Hydro being added to the Yuki.

I suppose that a Heal would be somewhat in keeping with its historical good luck.

Regarding torps, the type 93 mod 1 would be OK, too.  But what I wouldn't mind would be something like the type 93 mod 1 or 2, but in a DWT version that ignored only DDs (like the PA torps).

It seems to me that the devs really have a thing about IJN premium DDs where they feel that these DDs absolutely must have non-standard (for their tier) torpedoes, using the Asashio, the Yukikaze, and that tier 7 WiP DD as examples.  So if it has to be a non-standard torpedo, why not a DWT version of the type 93 mod 1 or 2?

 

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,770
[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
27 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

It's almost like WG is afraid to make a Kagero clone that's on-par with Kagero. As if they're afraid Kagero is under performing and having a premium clone with a slight gimmick will make her under performance glaringly obvious.

Oh wait....

Ghost, I don't think that it's about the tier 8 prem DDs being on par with the Kagero.  It seems more like it's about not wanting to produce a tier 8 prem torp DD that uses the same torpedoes the Kagero uses.

I think that the Yukikaze might be an incredibly deadly DD when top tier with those very fast torps, but when in tier 10 battles, it might get increasingly risky to use 8 km torps, particularly since its guns are still plain ol' IJN torp boat DD guns.  And the Asashio's usefulness pretty much scales with the number of BBs there are on the enemy team.

Also, the Yukikaze seems to be the polar opposite of the Asashio, having 8 km torps vs the Asashio's 20 km DW torps.

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
66
[_ARP_]
Members
155 posts
3,293 battles
2 hours ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Lol @ speed boost being useless.

 

My friend, 255 rounds in a DD does not make you the be all and end all expert you seem to feel you are. Aside from Haragumo, you have 31 rounds in tech tree DDs, and even with it, you have less than 100 rounds in tech tree DDs. Premium DDs don't teach you how to DD, tech tree Dds do. You free xp'd your way to T10 in both IJN DD lines, and aside from premiums haven't touched another nations DDs. For all intents and purposes, you're very much in the early learning phase of DDs.

 

Speed boost is extremely important to DDs, for the opposite reason you think it's meant to be used for. I primarily use it to get out of danger, not to get into it. I'll use it at times to stage a torp run, but I use it 99% of the time to cover ground faster to be where I'm needed and to get my butt out of harms way.

 

You are primarily a BB player, the other 3 classes combined don't equal your BB rounds played, so I'm honestly not surprised you're way off the mark on this. 

4

 

2 hours ago, Seniorious said:

While I'm certainly no pro-DD player myself, anyone who has earnestly attempted to learn fine aspects of destroyers knows that speed boost on those ships is not for closing in, it's for increasing your maneuverability in short spaces through faster acceleration, deceleration, and reverse as well as permitting faster exit away from incoming shells, radars, and hydros. Or capture point hopping, if time is of the essence.  

If this guy finds speed boost only puts him in danger faster, that means he's using SB purely to put himself in the wrong positions even faster, and making himself even more detrimental. Even French Cruisers only use SB to move from one side to another or play the guessing game of speed at long range like Henri's so trollishly do at high tier. Only Richelieu and especially Jean Bart can use Speed Boost to any significant aggressive advancement from what I've seen, largely against other battleships to out maneuver them and their turret traverse, or to throw off torpedos  and planes (defensive maneuvers), or get into positions people don't expect a BB to already be in (a well thought out one.) 
 

Okay okay I've exaggerated a ton when i said it was bad/useless. However, I do believe that it by itself does not make the boat good enough as a premium ship and it is the worse out of most of the other consumables. I'd rather have the other ones like hydro, heal, or torpedo reload booster. 

Sure i don't have too many games in the dd class but I my points are not only my own. Many of my points are the same as Nozoupforyou. The ship needs a little more umff. 

 

 

Im probably going to get the ship because I too love the azure lane collab but i know wg can do much more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
251
[-TNT-]
Members
933 posts
17,803 battles

Pyun is onto something here.  It's just another IJN POS that will not be purchased.  The below IJN premium ships were worth my $$$$$. I listed them by fun factor from top to bottom. Every IJN other premium in my opinion and others are POS. 

Kamikaze

Tachibana

Atago

Mutsu

Ishzuchi

 

IJN POS.jpg

Edited by Kestrel_Falcon
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,993
[CUTER]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,329 posts
13,167 battles

I disagree with all of you, but I understand not everyone likes the torp game.  She is a mid to late game power house, the ideal captain fits on all of the torp boats, not requiring things like TA on Asashio, or Harekaze that the captain is more in line with Akizuki, Kitakaze and Harugumo.

I will be buying this ship.  I have always wanted F3 style torps on Kagero.  She fits perfectly in my IJN torp DD theory.  I expect to do nasty things with this boat.

ETA:  I see a common complaint not being able to torp beyond radar range.  Torping beyond radar range usually results in poor effects on target.  Almost all radar CA have the agility to find that gap in your torps.  Torp users need to learn to bait radar out to create that window of opportunity to get in and get a good drop off.

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
66
[_ARP_]
Members
155 posts
3,293 battles
On 4/11/2019 at 10:13 AM, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I disagree with all of you, but I understand not everyone likes the torp game.  She is a mid to late game power house, the ideal captain fits on all of the torp boats, not requiring things like TA on Asashio, or Harekaze that the captain is more in line with Akizuki, Kitakaze and Harugumo.

I will be buying this ship.  I have always wanted F3 style torps on Kagero.  She fits perfectly in my IJN torp DD theory.  I expect to do nasty things with this boat.

ETA:  I see a common complaint not being able to torp beyond radar range.  Torping beyond radar range usually results in poor effects on target.  Almost all radar CA have the agility to find that gap in your torps.  Torp users need to learn to bait radar out to create that window of opportunity to get in and get a good drop off.

Its workable but isn't as special like you'd expect this ship to be. The f3 torps is supposed to be its gimmick but that range(and trash detection) just limits you. How about extending the range without touching the speed? Sure you will get poor results at further range but just get closer as if your torps only have 8km.

 It has a pretty legendary name but wargame completely blew that off. Take this guys review on it. Just Disappointing and frustrating in this meta. Idk, if the AL event doesn't have anything special I'm going to pass on the yukikaze. I prob would have more fun in my kamikaze or harugumo? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,993
[CUTER]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,329 posts
13,167 battles
8 hours ago, Pyun said:

Its workable but isn't as special like you'd expect this ship to be. The f3 torps is supposed to be its gimmick but that range(and trash detection) just limits you. How about extending the range without touching the speed? Sure you will get poor results at further range but just get closer as if your torps only have 8km.

 It has a pretty legendary name but wargame completely blew that off. Take this guys review on it. Just Disappointing and frustrating in this meta. Idk, if the AL event doesn't have anything special I'm going to pass on the yukikaze. I prob would have more fun in my kamikaze or harugumo? 

 

 

I guess since it shows up on my stats page I can say it.  I dont need to watch a review from someone else.  I know Yuki.

It fits perfectly for a guy like me that is not afraid of radar or CVs.  To play this ship you need patience.  Your first 3-5 minutes of the game will likely be scouting radar, torping at suspected DD locations, spotting DDs with your best in class concealment, and chunking down DDs in hit and run skirmishes.

The mid to late game after most of the DDs are killed, and you have a solid idea where the CV is operating you can begin to make your big moves.  I cannot discuss specifics but the F3 play style from Yugumo and Shimakaze works well on her.

As I said shes not going to be for everyone, like I will not buy Asashio as she does not fit with in my IJN torp boat play style, but guys good at the torp game, that understand how to make them work she is a potent combo.  Comparing her to Kitakaze and Harugumo means nothing.  Its apples and oranges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
542
[PN]
Members
1,140 posts
5,936 battles
On 4/11/2019 at 10:13 AM, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I disagree with all of you, but I understand not everyone likes the torp game.  She is a mid to late game power house, the ideal captain fits on all of the torp boats, not requiring things like TA on Asashio, or Harekaze that the captain is more in line with Akizuki, Kitakaze and Harugumo.

I will be buying this ship.  I have always wanted F3 style torps on Kagero.  She fits perfectly in my IJN torp DD theory.  I expect to do nasty things with this boat.

ETA:  I see a common complaint not being able to torp beyond radar range.  Torping beyond radar range usually results in poor effects on target.  Almost all radar CA have the agility to find that gap in your torps.  Torp users need to learn to bait radar out to create that window of opportunity to get in and get a good drop off.

This. I play all ijn dds like this. F3 torps are very hard to dodge from 6-7km. To balance out the range issue I build bft on the guns. The alpha on ijn complements f3 torps.

Unicum dd players know how to bait radar and dodge most cruiser shots past 9km. Using the ijn concealment properly means you can get close enough to use f3 torps properly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13
[WOLF9]
Members
168 posts
4,780 battles
On 4/11/2019 at 10:13 AM, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I disagree with all of you, but I understand not everyone likes the torp game.  She is a mid to late game power house, the ideal captain fits on all of the torp boats, not requiring things like TA on Asashio, or Harekaze that the captain is more in line with Akizuki, Kitakaze and Harugumo.

I will be buying this ship.  I have always wanted F3 style torps on Kagero.  She fits perfectly in my IJN torp DD theory.  I expect to do nasty things with this boat.

ETA:  I see a common complaint not being able to torp beyond radar range.  Torping beyond radar range usually results in poor effects on target.  Almost all radar CA have the agility to find that gap in your torps.  Torp users need to learn to bait radar out to create that window of opportunity to get in and get a good drop off.

I like the torp game and probably will buy it as well but is it only going to be the Azur Lane silliness?

Edited by MDREB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,993
[CUTER]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,329 posts
13,167 battles
1 hour ago, MDREB said:

I like the torp game and probably will buy it as well but is it only going to be the Azur Lane silliness?

No idea.  I hope to purchase a normal boat.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
408
[THREE]
Members
2,305 posts
12,404 battles

Hey

It's too bad that Wargaming didn't give it 10 km torps to at least equal the range of most radars (American anyways).  It would have been far more useful and fun to play for us still learning DD players.  I can live with an anime captain as long as you can turn them off, LOL.

 

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,993
[CUTER]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,329 posts
13,167 battles

I purchased Yukikaze this afternoon.  Played her a bunch of times, including a few matches against double T6 CVs and double T8 CVs.  I am uploading videos of those games as I think they have an important discussion about CVs being too focused on trying to kill enemy DDs, they end up not doing much over the course of the game if the DD can find ways to delay or even just tank the damage.  For example, if your team already has the caps the CV shouldnt care about your teams DDs unless they are blocking a cap.  Instead they should focus on BBs and CAs, radar in particular to help open the way to push into the caps.  

I saw a lot of CVs tonight not understanding that, and that contributed to a few victories.

Below are some of the games I had tonight.  These were toned down by two low damage games where the enemy fled at the mere sight of me resulting in very fast, but poor damage wins.  I think the average damage tonight was around These sorts of games are a curse of ships like Yukikaze that do most of their damage mid and late game.

I have high hopes for this ship.  She's not something I recommend to most DD players, but if you like the short torp game like I do she is a beast.

 

 

Yukikaze Day One Stats.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,993
[CUTER]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,329 posts
13,167 battles

Another good example of Yukikaze game play.  This game my flank is very weak compared to what the enemy is pushing with, however my Montana is able to strip about half the HP off a DM, forcing him to flee, and I lead and torped the DD leading their push.  With only a CV left to try to deal with me, I push up mostly alone, and help collapse the rest of the flank.

The key to this DD is being patient and observant.  Watch for windows of opportunity, then be aggressive and hit hard.

 

  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×