You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JackG79

North Carolina Builds?

24 comments in this topic

Members
214 posts
4,374 battles

Just got the North Carolina, have not purchased the Modules or fit the skills for the 12 pt captain i have for her.  

Can someone help me out with some builds?  I was checking out that build site where people vote on the best ones... and it must be old because it appears that the build they voted for  was from the days of stealth firing?  

Any and all help would be much appreciated. 

looking for both Captain Builds and what modules to assign.  

Thanks guys!  

Jack 

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,557 posts
33,722 battles

Mine (with a 19-point captain) is:

PM-EM-SI-CE-AR-AFT-BoS
Main Arms 1
Damage Control 1
AA Guns Mod 1
Steering Gears Mod 2
Concealment Mod 1

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,084 posts
4,445 battles

Standard tank build. My 2 cents working with 12 points:

PT

EM then AR (once you get 19 points)

SI then BoS ( once you get 13 pts)

FP or CE (both once you get 17 pts, the first pick is up to you)

For modules: Damage Con 1 and 2, Concealment, plotting room mod 1 (or AA if your feeling salty or question your aim), and whatever tickles your fancy for slot 1.

If you are a CV hater, then an AA build probably would be very effective... but it's a waste of a good ship IMO

Edited by _1204_

[CUTEZ]
-Members-
1,642 posts
1,212 battles
9 minutes ago, JackG79 said:

Just got the North Carolina, have not purchased the Modules or fit the skills for the 12 pt captain i have for her.  

Can someone help me out with some builds?  I was checking out that build site where people vote on the best ones... and it must be old because it appears that the build they voted for  was from the days of stealth firing?  

Thanks guys!  

Jack 

Hello JackG79,

Now that you have sailed slowly for tier after tier you get to the North Carolina =). 

For modules I use (slot 1-5): Main Armaments Mod 1, Damage Control System Mod 1, AA Guns Mod 1, Steering Gears Mod 2 and Concealment System Mod 1.

With a 12 point captain I would go: Priority Target, Expert Marksman, Superintendent and Concealment (saving the last 2 points until I could get Fire Prevention or AFT). 

Captains Skills is where you can be a little bit more creative but I tend to stick with: Priority Target, Expert Marksman, Superintendent, Concealment, Fire Prevention, Basics of Survivability and Adrenaline Rush. This is for a full 19 point captain.

There are a few spots in this that you can deviate, like you can not take Fire Prevention and take Advance Firing Training and Basic Firing Training for Basics of Survivability if you want to go the AA route.

[WOLF5]
Members
3,593 posts
3,819 battles
19 minutes ago, JackG79 said:

Thanks guys!  

Jack 

Don't matter, NC could never stealth fire, at least practically. Stealth build is still best build.

PT - how many people want you dead. Helps know when to push or tank.

EM - faster turrets are always better. If slow turrets don't bother you, AR is always nice.

SI - another heal. Difference between dying and winning sometimes.

CE - You are now ninja. NC has some of the most accurate guns in the game, and very hard hitting. Uncloaking at 12km (might be more now) with 9 16" AP at some unsuspecting cruiser or BB is always fun. Your guns and stealth are your best aspects, maximize them.

That's 10 there. Save the other 2. The next 4 points give you a choice. One option is tank build, with FP. Very nice. If you hate CVs, go AFT. NC has good AA and AFT helps that. I haven't played NC with the new CVs though, so not sure if that's viable. The universally more useful option is FP. AFT is situational, but hilarious when at the right moment.

After 14, go back and fill back in. EM or AR, whichever you skipped, PM is useful, and then the 2 pt survival skill, forget what it's called.

Modules, forget what they're called. But main battery 1, fire prevention 1, I like better rudder shift over fire prevention 2. and the stealth module. I don't think the accuracy mod is available at T8, you don't need extra range, so go with extra AA range.

NC is one of the best ships tier for tier in the game, so you should enjoy her. Not a high skill floor, there is a bit of a learning curve, but she's pretty forgiving and can perform very well in skilled hands. And even better she leads to the Iowa and Montana which are also great ships. Hope you enjoy the ride!

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
991 posts
8,100 battles
16 minutes ago, iKami said:

Captains Skills is where you can be a little bit more creative but I tend to stick with: Priority Target, Expert Marksman, Superintendent, Concealment, Fire Prevention, Basics of Survivability and Adrenaline Rush. This is for a full 19 point captain.

This.

Forget about AFT, even I can dodge flak and that negates AFT.  BFT might be useful though since you can't dodge continuous damage.

Members
214 posts
4,374 battles

Awesome !T

12 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Don't matter, NC could never stealth fire, at least practically. Stealth build is still best build.

The builds i was looking at here:  http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0000100000100010000011000000100119?sid=4282333168

Showing Catapult fighter for the first skill.   That was kinda throwing me off as it is no longer in the first row and there is a bunch of new ones.  So I wasn't sure where to go.  

Also I see that most people are saying to choose  PM as the first sill.  But when you look at the captain skills screen... there is the  Circle with the line through it... on the PM skill... meaning that the games says it's not the best skill for the ship.   

Just a few things confusing me is all. 

Members
214 posts
4,374 battles
26 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

EM - faster turrets are always better. If slow turrets don't bother you, AR is always nice.

CE - You are now ninja. NC has some of the most accurate guns in the game, and very hard hitting. Uncloaking at 12km (might be more now) with 9 16" AP at some unsuspecting cruiser or BB is always fun. Your guns and stealth are your best aspects, maximize them.

That's 10 there. Save the other 2. The next 4 points give you a choice. One option is tank build, with FP. Very nice. If you hate CVs, go AFT. NC has good AA and AFT helps that. I haven't played NC with the new CVs though, so not sure if that's viable. The universally more useful option is FP. AFT is situational, but hilarious when at the right moment.

After 14, go back and fill back in. EM or AR, whichever you skipped, PM is useful, and then the 2 pt survival skill, forget what it's called.

Modules, forget what they're called. But main battery 1, fire prevention 1, I like better rudder shift over fire prevention 2. and the stealth module. I don't think the accuracy mod is available at T8, you don't need extra range, so go with extra AA range.

NC is one of the best ships tier for tier in the game, so you should enjoy her. Not a high skill floor, there is a bit of a learning curve, but she's pretty forgiving and can perform very well in skilled hands. And even better she leads to the Iowa and Montana which are also great ships. Hope you enjoy the ride!

42 minutes ago, iKami said:

Hello JackG79,

Now that you have sailed slowly for tier after tier you get to the North Carolina =). 

For modules I use (slot 1-5): Main Armaments Mod 1, Damage Control System Mod 1, AA Guns Mod 1, Steering Gears Mod 2 and Concealment System Mod 1.

With a 12 point captain I would go: Priority Target, Expert Marksman, Superintendent and Concealment (saving the last 2 points until I could get Fire Prevention or AFT). 

There are a few spots in this that you can deviate, like you can not take Fire Prevention and take Advance Firing Training and Basic Firing Training for Basics of Survivability if you want to go the AA route.

46 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

Standard tank build. My 2 cents working with 12 points:

PT

EM then AR (once you get 19 points)

SI then BoS ( once you get 13 pts)

FP or CE (both once you get 17 pts, the first pick is up to you)

For modules: Damage Con 1 and 2, Concealment, plotting room mod 1 (or AA if your feeling salty or question your aim), and whatever tickles your fancy for slot 1.

If you are a CV hater, then an AA build probably would be very effective... but it's a waste of a good ship IMO

47 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Mine (with a 19-point captain) is:

PM-EM-SI-CE-AR-AFT-BoS
Main Arms 1
Damage Control 1
AA Guns Mod 1
Steering Gears Mod 2
Concealment Mod 1

THanks Everyone so much! I appreciate all the great help! 

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,084 posts
4,445 battles
42 minutes ago, MasterDiggs said:

This.

Forget about AFT, even I can dodge flak and that negates AFT.  BFT might be useful though since you can't dodge continuous damage.

But at the cost of a extra heal or 10 seconds off fires? BFT is pretty overrated for BBs imo

[WOLF5]
Members
3,593 posts
3,819 battles
42 minutes ago, JackG79 said:

Awesome !T

The builds i was looking at here:  http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0000100000100010000011000000100119?sid=4282333168

Showing Catapult fighter for the first skill.   That was kinda throwing me off as it is no longer in the first row and there is a bunch of new ones.  So I wasn't sure where to go.  

Also I see that most people are saying to choose  PM as the first sill.  But when you look at the captain skills screen... there is the  Circle with the line through it... on the PM skill... meaning that the games says it's not the best skill for the ship.   

Just a few things confusing me is all. 

Because the NC is a BB, PM only really helps with the main turrets. Those don't go too often, but often enough for me to want to run PM. Those slashes are suggestions, you can still use those skills. They're mostly to stop people putting CV skills on DD captains, or SE on BBs. But no PM on BBs seems a bit odd.

ShipComrade is bit out of date, the captain skills were overhauled with the CV update. The double fighter is still there, the name has changed though. But unless that chart is WAY out of date, it should show the current system, not the really old 5 pt system. And no idea why catapult fighter would be first choice, three others I would pick first.

But yes, PM is a very viable first pick. I prefer PT, but that's merely preference.

• Cool 1

Members
214 posts
4,374 battles
2 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Because the NC is a BB, PM only really helps with the main turrets. Those don't go too often, but often enough for me to want to run PM. Those slashes are suggestions, you can still use those skills. They're mostly to stop people putting CV skills on DD captains, or SE on BBs. But no PM on BBs seems a bit odd.

ShipComrade is bit out of date, the captain skills were overhauled with the CV update. The double fighter is still there, the name has changed though. But unless that chart is WAY out of date, it should show the current system, not the really old 5 pt system. And no idea why catapult fighter would be first choice, three others I would pick first.

But yes, PM is a very viable first pick. I prefer PT, but that's merely preference.

Thank You!  This clears things up A LOT!!   Sometimes I have a hard time to word my confusion, but it appears you figured out what i was struggling with. Thanks so much man! 

Members
214 posts
4,374 battles

Sunday night before the Free skills redistribution ended i reset a bunch of them. So i going to go through and try to get proper captains in some of my ships. Musashi, Kronshtadt, Alabama, and a few others.   

Members
117 posts
44 battles
1 hour ago, MasterDiggs said:

This.

Here's a thing though -- although flak is easy to dodge, the simple truth is a lot of CV captains DON'T DO IT. If all CV captains were good, I'd agree with the merits of BFT over AFT, but in actual Random queue I'm not so sure.

My 19 pt NC captain is:

First 10 points: Priority Target, Expert Marksman, Superintendent, Concealment Expert

Final 9 points: AFT, Adrenaline Rush, Jack of All Trades, Preventive Maintenance.

Upgrades: Auxiliary Armaments Mod 1, Damage Con Mod 1, AA Mod 1, Steering Gears Mod 1, Concealment Mod 1

Basically a mixture of stealth, tankiness, and AA. 

On battleships, I'm a big fan of Preventive Maintenance. I use it to keep the main guns running, and then skip the Main Armaments Mod 1 and get the Auxiliary Armaments mod 1 (which keeps my AA and secondaries operational through the game).

[A_51]
Members
961 posts

I'm running Flamuu's recommended build, as below.

Modules: Main Arm 1, Damage Control 1, AA1, Damage Control 2, Concealment 1

Commander: PT, EM, SI, CE, AR, FP, VI (in that order)

[WOLF3]
Members
25,289 posts
22,304 battles

In the Pre-CV Rework Days, I'd have said a Stealth - AA Hybrid Build for NC.  Without a doubt.  But the state of AA skills and upgrades these days, I'm not so sure anymore.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[PVE]
Members
19,836 posts
12,005 battles
4 hours ago, JackG79 said:

Thanks guys!  

Jack 

I have two Cmdrs, one for Massachusetts with the Manly-ManTM build  and one for NC and Alabama. Skills are in order I got/plan on getting them and those in parenthesis are planned skills. Both are 10 pts right now.

Regular Cmdr Max Strauss who is a survival build and adding in AR gets you to 12pts. He will mostly play on NC and sometimes 'bama.

PT, EM, BoS, FP, (AR, SI, BFT, PM)

LWM's Manly-ManTM build Cmdr William Warren he will almost always play on Mass and sometimes 'bama.

PT, AR, BFT, AFT, (IFHE, MFCSA, PM)

Modules are as follows.

N. Carolina - AuAM1, DCSM1, APRM1, DCSM1, CSM1  Range spec

Alabama - AuAM1, DCSM1, AAGM1, DCSM1, CSM1  AA spec

Massachusetts - AuAM1, DCSM1, SBM1, DCSM1, TASM1  Secondary spec

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,246 posts
13,897 battles
17 hours ago, JackG79 said:

Thanks guys!  

Jack 

When in doubt you can always go with my standard BB captain build of PM, AR, BFT, CE, AFT, and EM. If there is a more specialized build needed for BB then I will often go with what is needed, but this general BB build you can’t really go wrong with since it improves AA and secondary guns as well as helps with your Concealment and main guns.

I know I just gave you a 19 point captain build, but at least gives you a decent idea. 

• Cool 1

Members
214 posts
4,374 battles
17 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

When in doubt you can always go with my standard BB captain build of PM, AR, BFT, CE, AFT, and EM. If there is a more specialized build needed for BB then I will often go with what is needed, but this general BB build you can’t really go wrong with since it improves AA and secondary guns as well as helps with your Concealment and main guns.

I know I just gave you a 19 point captain build, but at least gives you a decent idea. 

Thank you very much !! This is good to keep in reserve! 

Members
214 posts
4,374 battles
On 4/9/2019 at 5:08 PM, AJTP89 said:

AJTP89!!!! 

THaks so much man!!!   I wanted to come back here and drop a note and let you know, that Currently i only have like a 42% win rate in this game.   But since setting up this ship exactly how you told me too, i have around 20 games so far, and Im running a 69% win rate in her!  I think it's time for me to go back through and get some of my other builds straightened out.  

Without the help I would still be pulling 40-47% win rates in BB"s.   This has been a great help, and I cant tell you how grateful I am.  

Again.. Thank you so much!  Take care out there! I look forward to seeing you in game! 

Jack!!!

[WOLF5]
Members
3,593 posts
3,819 battles
6 hours ago, JackG79 said:

AJTP89!!!! 

THaks so much man!!!   I wanted to come back here and drop a note and let you know, that Currently i only have like a 42% win rate in this game.   But since setting up this ship exactly how you told me too, i have around 20 games so far, and Im running a 69% win rate in her!  I think it's time for me to go back through and get some of my other builds straightened out.  

Without the help I would still be pulling 40-47% win rates in BB"s.   This has been a great help, and I cant tell you how grateful I am.  

Again.. Thank you so much!  Take care out there! I look forward to seeing you in game! 

Jack!!!

Good to hear. I doubt I'm solely responsible, seems like you're getting the hang of things. Always good to see someone who's trying to improve.

Hope you're on my team if we meet in battle:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts

I have Halsey on my NC and he goes:

PM, HA/EM, BoS/SI, FP/CE

PM because I'd rather keep my guns talking then know how many people are shooting at me (it's always everyone anyway)

EM for obvious reasons, HA because AR is not as useful I find on USN BB's, nor is LS, JoAT is also meh given the lack of consumables.

BoS because I prefer to use the rudder mod on the USN BB's to keep them dancy so I need that extra reduction in fire time, and SI for obvious reasons

CE for obvious reasons, and FP because the rest are meh. Prior to the CV rework I put AFT, as I liked the range boost to the AA but with that gone I don't see much value in it for secondaries on a Non Mass.

Priority Order goes: PM, EM, SI, CE, BoS, FP, HA.

Loadout is:

MAM1, DCSM1, SBM2 (the rest are meh), SGM2, CSM1.

In a perfect world I'd switch SBM2 for ASM1 but since the USN cannot mount it on their BB's I'm stuck with SBM2.

Edited by _RC1138

[LSNB]
Members
1,463 posts
4,066 battles
On 4/10/2019 at 5:08 AM, AJTP89 said:

Stealth build is still best build.

True dat. Although she doesn't have the 11-point-something km detection range prior to the Concealment Expert nerf, she is one of the stealthiest BBs in the game. Her stealth allows her to flank to enemy broadsides and shoot citadels.

On 4/10/2019 at 6:48 AM, jss78 said:

Final 9 points: AFT, Adrenaline Rush, Jack of All Trades, Preventive Maintenance.

I replaced PM and JoAT with BFT, which allows the NC to perform as, albeit fragile, stealth/AA hybrid ship.

[TWFT3]
Members
133 posts
3,892 battles

Just to post a 0.8.8 update to the discussion: with Concealment Expert, Concealment System Mod 1 and a -3% camouflage,  detection range for the North Carolina is 12.3 km. It's still pretty filthy.

:cap_cool:

[WOLF6]
Members
402 posts
3,286 battles
On 4/9/2019 at 2:30 PM, JackG79 said:

Showing Catapult fighter for the first skill.  

On 4/9/2019 at 3:17 PM, AJTP89 said:

no idea why catapult fighter would be first choice, three others I would pick first.

Torp spotting.  Back when cat fighters could spot torpedoes, DCCA could give a BB a 'budget hydro'.

Aircraft haven't been able to spot torps for quite a while now, and DCCA is nearly a useless skill.

Shipcomrade used to be a good place to look at builds, but it hasn't kept up with the game.  Almost all the highly rated builds are either obsolete, and several ships have garbage builds that have been upvoted by trolls (eg. IFHE Minotaur).