You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BenAubrey

Amazing to watch "conditioning" in action

18 comments in this topic

[GTF]
Members
216 posts
10,840 battles

Back in college, took basic psych, where they talked about how all of us become conditioned by repetition. I always said...bull.. I am not a rat or a dog lol.

Well..played dozens of space battles this past week and it is amazing to watch psychological conditioning in action.  People have become conditioned to passive play in the game generally....they get in space battles where this week... one team defends and the other attacks....and most of the attackers on my teams just won't do it!!  They will not push....but wander around mid map...shooting at the defender ships..launching torpedoes..hoping somehow to sink 9 ships...many protected by islands...before time expires.

This isn't about not taking 30 secs to read the rules that WG posted, though many obviously don't, but about game play styles.  Personally, being a potato lol, I love the chance to be able to push hard and be rewarded for doing so.  And in fairness, in several games, we did push as two groups and won.  To me, the scenario naturally favors the defenders because of the tough positioning of the generators but it is a blast to work your way in.

And, as I said, I can only attribute the passive play by a lot of attackers to conditioning developed over lots of games in random.

BTW..I am no better than anyone else...it is very hard to break the bad habits I picked up during my first thousand games.  A clan mate recently showed me something about targeting that I had never grasped that has doubled my damage playing battleships. So I am doing my best to be a progressive potato..but never a rat :P

• Cool 2

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
18,617 battles

Hmmm,

Lizard brain trumps monkey brain … 

Monkey brain trumps rat brain … 

Rat brain Trumps itself :)

• Meh 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
13,679 posts
35 minutes ago, BenAubrey said:

Back in college, took basic psych, where they talked about how all of us become conditioned by repetition. I always said...bull.. I am not a rat or a dog lol.

Well..played dozens of space battles this past week and it is amazing to watch psychological conditioning in action.  People have become conditioned to passive play in the game generally....they get in space battles where this week... one team defends and the other attacks....and most of the attackers on my teams just won't do it!!  They will not push....but wander around mid map...shooting at the defender ships..launching torpedoes..hoping somehow to sink 9 ships...many protected by islands...before time expires.

This isn't about not taking 30 secs to read the rules that WG posted, though many obviously don't, but about game play styles.  Personally, being a potato lol, I love the chance to be able to push hard and be rewarded for doing so.  And in fairness, in several games, we did push as two groups and won.  To me, the scenario naturally favors the defenders because of the tough positioning of the generators but it is a blast to work your way in.

And, as I said, I can only attribute the passive play by a lot of attackers to conditioning developed over lots of games in random.

BTW..I am no better than anyone else...it is very hard to break the bad habits I picked up during my first thousand games.  A clan mate recently showed me something about targeting that I had never grasped that has doubled my damage playing battleships. So I am doing my best to be a progressive potato..but never a rat :P

Be careful putting TOO much stock in behaviorism. 

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,067 posts
9,708 battles

on a many occasions, players on my attacking team quit before the game ended. the ghostly looking ships stand still in the back lifelessly waiting for the game to end.

when the players quit, but the game doesn't end, the game gets boring. 

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
18,617 battles
11 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Be careful putting TOO much stock in behaviorism. 

I remember taking a clinical psych course once to raise my GPA … 

It was shocking how many people in that lecture hall were actually trying to fix themselves 

Never trust a psychologist

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
18,617 battles
5 minutes ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

Caution is something humans learned millenniums prior. 

I think it's called fear … and it's hardwired 

Beta Testers
1,631 posts
10,535 battles
32 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

I remember taking a clinical psych course once to raise my GPA … 

It was shocking how many people in that lecture hall were actually trying to fix themselves 

Never trust a psychologist

Why?

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,932 posts
13,283 battles

I am almost believing that being decisive cannot be taught or learned, like many things, you got or you don't.  Passive playing is the same.  Its my nature to be aggressive, and if paired up with other aggressive players its amazingly fun.  Hardest skill we tried to teach in WoT was to be aggressive, to give up one tank to kill three...we would run exercise after exercise...and I realized, I can't teach it, as my clannies would revert back to their personality during a match... so then it became my job to identify playing styles and stick them in the right tank.  Passive players were very good TD or arty players, very aggresive, med tanks, and the methodical yet still moving players, heavy tanks.  The patient players.....(not passive) made good scouts.    I think the same could be said for ships....

[RLGN]
Members
13,486 posts
23,513 battles
38 minutes ago, skillztowin said:

on a many occasions, players on my attacking team quit before the game ended. the ghostly looking ships stand still in the back lifelessly waiting for the game to end.

when the players quit, but the game doesn't end, the game gets boring. 

Maybe they don’t understand/know about respawns?

In any case; two games; one each attacker and defender, both losses; to hell with this.

Ya’ll have fun.

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
18,617 battles
19 minutes ago, Nukelavee45 said:

Why?

#1 rule in life, 

Don't talk to or trust a crazy person … 

Don't even make eye contact :)

Edited by Commander_367

[ARGSY]
Members
18,182 posts
12,637 battles
2 hours ago, BenAubrey said:

And, as I said, I can only attribute the passive play by a lot of attackers to conditioning developed over lots of games in random

I've heard co-op mains complain about the same thing when Randoms mains change streams to get particular tasks done more easily, and having a foot in both camps, I have observed it myself.

Has anyone here read Dune? For those who have, does this not remind you of conditioned shield hesitation?

• Boring 1

[FML]
Members
3,654 posts
14,584 battles
2 hours ago, BenAubrey said:

To me, the scenario naturally favors the defenders because of the tough positioning of the generators but it is a blast to work your way in.

I have been on the defending side every time, and I have usually lost. 

Mainly because a few idiot players rush forward to engage the entire enemy fleet at the start of the battle, die, and don’t respawn. 2-3 defenders down at 2 mins into the battle means you lose. 

Its super frustrating. 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
13,679 posts
11 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I've heard co-op mains complain about the same thing when Randoms mains change streams to get particular tasks done more easily, and having a foot in both camps, I have observed it myself.

Has anyone here read Dune? For those who have, does this not remind you of conditioned shield hesitation?

Yes, I do see that... players that are obviously in from Randoms fall into three camps roughly evenly:

1. YOLO trying to churn battles and tick boxes, die fast and often uselessly
  2. Hide behind something or hump a map edge because they don't realize the bots are coming, don't care for your silly vision/stealth manipulation, and will kill you after they finish with your team
  3. Actually realize that PVE isn't PVP and try to adjust to the different conditions. 

Sometimes you get a team that's largely #1 or largely #2, and you have to adjust on the fly to their misplay of the mode.

[K0]
Members
1,754 posts
7,866 battles

On the defense, one of my team's DDs yolo-charged into the attackers and died. He didn't know they respawned.

Thankfully I and a friendly BB carried the hell out of that match to victory.

[KOOKS]
[KOOKS]
Modder
723 posts
3,801 battles
2 hours ago, Commander_367 said:

Hmmm,

Lizard brain trumps monkey brain … 

Monkey brain trumps rat brain … 

Rat brain Trumps itself :)

Scissors cuts Paper, Paper covers Rock, Rock crushes Lizard, Lizard poisons Spock, Spock smashes Scissors, Scissors decapitates Lizard, Lizard eats Paper, Paper disproves Spock, Spock vaporizes Rock and Rock crushes Scissors. :Smile_great:

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
18,617 battles
32 minutes ago, Krautjaeger said:

Scissors cuts Paper, Paper covers Rock, Rock crushes Lizard, Lizard poisons Spock, Spock smashes Scissors, Scissors decapitates Lizard, Lizard eats Paper, Paper disproves Spock, Spock vaporizes Rock and Rock crushes Scissors. :Smile_great:

The only thing missing is the word "Trump" :)