You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Retaliatory Strike Tuesday - Hitting Back

16 comments in this topic

[WG]
Administrator, Developers
1,504 posts
9,267 battles

File:View forward from USS Columbia (CL-56) during Battle of Empress Augusta Bay 1943.jpg

*pictured - view from USS Columbia (CL-56) trailing behind USS Cleveland (CL-55) firing her main battery guns during the Battle of Empress Augusta Bay on November 2, 1943*

When you receive incoming fire, what actions do you take next?

During an engagement with the enemy fleet, some players opt to withdraw and regroup to avoid sustaining heavy damage and potential losses.

The other choice is to traverse your guns and torpedo tubes, range in, and retaliate with blistering gunfire and lethal torpedo spread.

When incoming shells are raining down, do you withdraw and regroup or give the enemy fleet a retaliatory strike they won't forget?

"There are no extraordinary men... just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with." - William "Bull" Halsey, U.S. Navy

#retaliationtuesday

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,090 posts
18,050 battles

If the shells are already landing around you, it's a little late to start thinking about a plan, don't you think?

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
18,277 posts
12,709 battles
6 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

If the shells are already landing around you, it's a little late to start thinking about a plan, don't you think?

Agree completely. This is the point at which firing back is a secondary consideration (unless it's spit-in-their-face torps because you know you are utterly stuffed) and the choices become, in order:

1) Smoke if you can.

2) Dodge if you can (i.e. if you are not already confined to a Path of Doom by enemy torpedoes).

3) Repair/heal if you can.

4) Cower in the corner and wet yourself in terror (metaphorically only, one hopes) as your ship gets returned to port.

BTW, don't you think Captain Bad Advice would be a far better commander for your signature icon? :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
2,498 posts
2,295 battles

Fire at the closest target and then GTFO and try to find an island to take cover behind while i let fires fizzle out and repair damage

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,345 posts
13,879 battles
27 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

It really depends on how many ships have you in their sites. If it is only one salvo chase and engage the enemy. If it is two or three salvo chase and fire back while running. If it is more than that salvo chase, fire back, and get religion.

• Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
4,080 posts
22,310 battles
39 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

File:View forward from USS Columbia (CL-56) during Battle of Empress Augusta Bay 1943.jpg

*pictured - view from USS Columbia (CL-56) trailing behind USS Cleveland (CL-55) firing her main battery guns during the Battle of Empress Augusta Bay on November 2, 1943*

When you receive incoming fire, what actions do you take next?

During an engagement with the enemy fleet, some players opt to withdraw and regroup to avoid sustaining heavy damage and potential losses.

The other choice is to traverse your guns and torpedo tubes, range in, and retaliate with blistering gunfire and lethal torpedo spread.

When incoming shells are raining down, do you withdraw and regroup or give the enemy fleet a retaliatory strike they won't forget?

"There are no extraordinary men... just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with." - William "Bull" Halsey, U.S. Navy

#retaliationtuesday

#anchorsaweigh

Before you dodge the incoming fire, you have to be aware that someone has your number. If you see the targeted number increase by more than one , start going dark and retreat. One on one is doable. Except of course, you find your opponent has a destroyer lurking around to torp you.

The best way of retaliating back?. Do unto to them before they do unto to you. It is always better to give than to receive.  

The best counter? RDF. The closest unseen ship is the biggest danger.

Edited by Bill_Halsey
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
3,816 posts
16,318 battles

Geeze....  In this game, it's "push the chair back", engage autopilot and alt-out to Google news and read an article or two and see who lost.....   Best way to retaliate?   There's 5 or them and one of you........run like smoke and oakum.......and then, alt-out to Google news or this forum.

Ah, most times you just die out right....  How much armor you have is how long and, unless you are in a Yammy, a short time.....

• Cool 1

[WG]
1,504 posts
9,267 battles
58 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Maybe, if I'm sailing in force then I tend to turn towards to minimize aspect and return fire...especially if I'm sailing in a battleship or sometimes a cruiser.

In a destroyer, I opt for minimizing damage so I need to determine the following:

• Who's shooting at me?
  • Do they have detection consumables? (radar, hydro)
  • Is there cover nearby?
  • Who's backing me up?

If it's a destroyer engagement, that means I'm too close for comfort and need to create some space to properly engage and watch out for incoming torpedoes.

Smoke is helpful in evasion but limits my visibility to spot for my supporting fire and leaves me blind for a possible torpedo spread.

"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction." - Oliver P. Smith, U.S. Marine Corps

#anchorsaweigh

[WG]
1,504 posts
9,267 battles
50 minutes ago, Ace6steel said:

Fire at the closest target and then GTFO and try to find an island to take cover behind while i let fires fizzle out and repair damage

I approve of this message...

#stayingalive

#anchorsaweigh

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,090 posts
18,050 battles
4 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Maybe, if I'm sailing in force then I tend to turn towards to minimize aspect and return fire...especially if I'm sailing in a battleship or sometimes a cruiser.

I'd say that turning toward an unknown enemy in response to unexpected fire usually commits you to an involuntary return to port in the next few minutes.

My checklist usually goes like this:

1. Mitigate damage already on the way
    • What's visibly inbound, from where?
      • Where is it aimed? How can I avoid or reduce the damage I'll take?
    • What's LIKELY inbound but not yet visible?
      • Where does this mean I can/can't go?
  2. Evaluate tactical situation
    • How am I being spotted? Can I break contact? Should I?
    • Which side has the superior force in the area? Do I trust the green ships to pull their weight?
    • What terrain will be usable to my advantage/disadvantage in the immediate future?
  3. Evaluate strategic situation
    • Do we need to be pushing? Holding? Kiting?
    • How much time do we have to make a move?
  • Cool 2

[A-D-F]
Members
2,031 posts
7,286 battles

"You may fire when you are ready, Gridley."  I'd rather not die from lack of shooting back.

Also, WANGLE!!!!   :Smile_veryhappy:

Thank you, Steve Wallace (06wallst) for inventing the "wangle".  :Smile_trollface:

Edited by Captain_Slattery
  • Cool 1

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,083 posts
4,439 battles

Depends of course. In a CB I will gladly throw myself INTO enemy fire if it means saving a Cruiser... in randoms, I typically withdraw. Even as a BB, theres always gonna be someone else to tank damage, so you have HP to play when it counts.

Whever I see shells coming in on me, I find the best thing to do is close your eyes and pray you dont hear the sound fade out signifying a heavy hit:Smile_veryhappy:

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
671 posts
2,542 battles

I'm CV master race, I leave those stuffs for my peasants in the frontline.

*Laughs in airstrikes*

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,184 posts
14,120 battles

Depends really. Several have already gave good advice. 

ASAP determine if one or multiple people have you in cross hairs. 

RDF is your friend

Smoke is your friend

Distance can be your friend

Islands can be your friends

Friends can be your friends (no pun intended)

If you realize it just wasn't your game and right off the bat your about to be blown to bits. Fire everything you got.

To borrow from Captain Ernste Lindemann on the bridge of the Bismarck "I won't have my ship shot out from under my [edited], open fire!"

[RKLES]
Members
12,213 posts
13,844 battles

If a large amount of incoming fire is heading towards my ship, the following often sums it up my reactions.

2DE37438-43BE-439C-90F7-4B5DDD4C642B.gif.1162ca316a8c6191fa4f76f22db4c6f2.gif

CEDE6BA5-53FD-4646-AB43-445838A6F40E.gif.0c1b3a9310a4e251f3dcbb39fcd5d10a.gif